• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 410 70.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 108 18.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

nemiroff

Gold Member
My prediction earlier in this thread came true.. I'm now a "couldn't be happier" 32" 240Hz QD-OLED monitor owner. But I got the Asus model instead of the Alienware.

Edit: And with this monitor the HDR integration in Windows 11 now works seamlessly and flawlessly (at least as seen from my personal perspective).

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My prediction earlier in this thread came true.. I'm now a "couldn't be happier" 32" 240Hz QD-OLED monitor owner. But I got the Asus model instead of the Alienware.

Edit: And with this monitor the HDR integration in Windows 11 now works seamlessly and flawlessly (at least as seen from my personal perspective).
I got the Alienware monitor too. Couldn't be happier. It looks so damn good. It basically made the LG 240 Hz 27 inch OLED look awful.

Laptop1991

I was recently looking into monitors as after i upgrade my PC i will be getting a new one, and it came down to this for me
For
Blacks are better
Quicker response time
Against
Double the price
Potential burn in
Daytime brightness, I don't like it, its far too bright for me, day beats night as a choice imo

If they sort the issues i have in the future, then yeah I'll buy one

Was going to move from my 2010 LCD 42" to a TCL 75" mini-led (their top one). Any feedback on TCL mini-led hère ?
Not Moving to oled : i game in a very bright environment.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Was going to move from my 2010 LCD 42" to a TCL 75" mini-led (their top one). Any feedback on TCL mini-led hère ?
Not Moving to oled : i game in a very bright environment.
Hey no info on tcl mini led from here but can you explain what you mean by playing in bright environment?
No content is made to battle with 5000 nits sunlight in your room. Any tv shadow areas will get destroyed.

If content has 100 nits values in shadow areas or 0 nits in black areas of the screen, you mustn’t have more light in the room to see that. Oled or not.

Tomi

A few hundred zones compared to millions of individual pixels?
Nop
Sustained brightness 100% window over 600 nits vs 250 oled on 100% window...
You maybe get some blooming on mini led, but nothing comes close to brightness WOoOooW impact
Tried both, and oled is nice but nothing comes close to mini led trust me

Last edited:

buenoblue

Nop
You maybe get some blooming on mini led, but nothing comes close to brightness WOoOooW impact
Blooming and viewing angles ?

Buhaj

Does anyone have Sony X95L? I will be in the market for a new TV later this year, and I am hesitating between an LG/Sony OLED or perhaps X95M when it comes out (depending on the price). Where I am, G3 is the same price as A80L, so it seems like a no brainer, but I will miss Android TV.

Zheph

Does anyone have Sony X95L? I will be in the market for a new TV later this year, and I am hesitating between an LG/Sony OLED or perhaps X95M when it comes out (depending on the price). Where I am, G3 is the same price as A80L, so it seems like a no brainer, but I will miss Android TV.
I just got one (X95L) insane TV, beautiful model too. Early for me to speak too much about it but I'm really happy with the money spent

Von Hugh

Nop
You stare at a 100 % window white image all day?

Hey no info on tcl mini led from here but can you explain what you mean by playing in bright environment?
No content is made to battle with 5000 nits sunlight in your room. Any tv shadow areas will get destroyed.

If content has 100 nits values in shadow areas or 0 nits in black areas of the screen, you mustn’t have more light in the room to see that. Oled or not.
Hi, i mean in the living room. There are 5 very large windows in this room and it's quite bright. So my target was by default mini-led as I eead hère and there that oled was not thé best target for bright rooms. But maybe i'm wrong ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hi, i mean in the living room. There are 5 very large windows in this room and it's quite bright. So my target was by default mini-led as I eead hère and there that oled was not thé best target for bright rooms. But maybe i'm wrong ?
Oled is fine if you keep it dim in the room.
It will be too dark in bright living room. This is true.
Also, oled might get damaged with direct sunlight expousure due to temperature

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh yeah. I’m doing my part, in for a 75” Bravia 9.
Have had a Samsung QN90 for awhile now and no doubt especially through the day its my preferred TV over my OLED

Have been playing with a lot of the OLED gaming monitors (right now using the MSI 32" 4k 240hz) but when I hope on my other setup I am still impressed with my Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 mini led, it just explodes when it needs that brightness.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Bad news imo, that means Sony thinks microLEDs are going to stay a pipedream for quite a while.

OLED was always a stop gap, seem it takes so long for microLED to hit a certain price point that its feasible to invest in R&D for proprietary mini LED tech instead of buying existing LG Display's OLED panels for a few more years.

Xellos

Bravia 9 looks great. No X-Wide filter for the Bravia 7 is disappointing. The 7 looks like a good TV otherwise. Would be interesting if it was IPS with that backlight system. I think Vincent mentioned VA for Bravia 9 but did not specify panel type for Bravia 7.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just beat me to this :)

Mini/Macro LEDs are the future
nah.
It's just a VA panel with sophisticated mini led backlight. It will never be better than oled. Just brighter and brighter =/= better.
This mini led VA will:
-Still have VA cone view viewing angles
-VA ghosting/lower pixel response times (literally every va ever has this. It's a trait of va as much as ips glow for ips)
-No per pixel backlight like oled
-No total black.

But it should not burn in which is a non issue on oled anyway.

Oled is way faster, infinite contrast with 0 black and per pixel hdr, perfect viewing angles.
We can argue Woled vs qd-oled (imo woled ftw) but both stomp over lcd, which this just is.

My bet is sony is going mini led for flagship because it's brighter and if they are using LG oled panels and with their most expensive tv, this would be more royalties probably.

Last edited:

Bojji

nah.
It's just a VA panel with sophisticated mini led backlight. It will never be better than oled. Just brighter and brighter =/= better.
This mini led VA will:
-VA ghosting/lower pixel response times (literally every va ever has this. It's a trait of va as much as ips glow for ips)
-No total black.

Oled is way faster, infinite contrast with 0 black and per pixel hdr, perfect viewing angles.
We can argue Woled vs qd-oled (imo woled ftw) but both stomp over lcd, which this just is.

My bet is sony is going mini led for flagship because it's brighter and if they are using LG oled panels and with their most expensive tv, this would be more royalties probably.

Yeah, I don't get why people get so excited. They are using some cool tech, yes but all this JUST to minimize problems that LCD panels have and get close to what OLEDs do naturally.

Natural problems of LCDs are still there.

manfestival

its been like a month since i picked up one of these OLED panels. I have it next to my asus IPS panel and I will say that I cannot go back to good ol LCD anymore after experiencing this. not at least for my main screen activity. side screen stuff is fine but this is too good of an experience. glad that I went ahead and jumped into this. Those newest 360hz at 1440p seem insanely appealing but 240hz seems more than enough for me for now.

Luipadre

My C9 will be 5 years old this year and its as stunning as ever. Shit still looks amazing when i play games or watch movies/shows on it. I honestly dont feel the need to upgrade to the newer models. I have 4k, 120hz, VRR and still stunning picture.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The ZD9/Z9D successor we been waiting for Kuranghi Kuranghi PaintTinJr PaintTinJr

I'm definitely excited but my room isn't really big enough for a 75" and the 65" isn't being sold in the UK annoyingly :pie_bull:

They're using those contrast multiplier numbers again but for the first time a 4K LCD will get a number higher than the 16x they quoted for ZD9. Bravia 7 is 20x and Bravia 9 is 30x.

I guess I could put it on the wall but I'd have to rearrange my whole living room :messenger_grimmacing_
I'm interested to see how U8N stacks up against it since the 65" of that will have ~1300 zones, sounds similar to the Bravia 9 specs.

nothing comes close to mini led trust me
nope
200w.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
nah.
This mini led VA will:
-No total black.

You and I have been down this road many times and again I prefer the brightness especially during day viewing over total blacks

I don't have a tv, only monitor (space and weight issues) and god I wish I could get a proper amoled monitor that suits my limitations, but sadly doesn't exist

clarky

Gold Member
Tried both, and oled is nice but nothing comes close to mini led trust meole
I have 3 LG Tv's, 3 laptops with Mini led's and another 2 laptops with 240hz OLED screens.

The brightness of Mini LED is nice but doesn't beat out the contrast of a decent OLED. Stick in the response time of OLED and we have a winner. IMO.

Unless these new TV's Do something different, OLED wins every time.

Housh

I was finally able to get in on a backorder of PG32UCDM. Won't be here for another 2-3 weeks but pretty excited.

Top Bottom