• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
as a proud owner of a Galaxy S, yes, i will be buying a Vita.

my Galaxy S doesn't have 4 cores, a bigger screen, the capacity to hold the games, PSN, or BUTTONS, which i would personally rather it not to begin with.

im perfeclty happy with the two devices being separate in most aspects. also the happy owner of a dual-core + ION/optimus EEE PC that i wouldn't think of ditching for a tablet. even an EEE PC transformer.
Vita doesn't have that feature either! Welcome to the world of proprietary memory sticks!

ofx360 said:
Hell yes. Smartphones and tablet are only good for short burst of games. They don't last. Sometime i pop on SB:S&S and i play it for like 5-10mins, maybe a max of about 20-30mins if things get really interesting, and then i turn it off. Their not the deep games i want to play. I want to play a monster hunter, i want to play a CoD, i want to play a LBP, I want to play Socom, i want to all these game where ever i'm at. But on top of that, i pretty sure the PSV will offer some of those tablet and iphone games as well through its PS Suite thing. I can't imagine PSV not having Angry Birds.

I think PSV will actually replace me playing on my phone if Sony plays their cards right. So now, i can save my batteries for what my phone is actually for, and have my dedicated gaming machine.

I personally disagree with this blanket statement. I've spent hours solving mysteries in Cause of Death, dungeon crawling in Zenonia and with music games like ReRave and Groove Coaster. I've also spent hours beating the campaigns of games like Battlefield 2 and Modern Combat 2 (shooters), Max and the Magic Marker, Pizza Boy and Soosiz (platformers), and Sega All Stars Racing. Eliss and Edge has also had me hooked for multiple hours each.

I get if people only want to play high score games due to their control preferences or platform tastes and I wouldn't go as far as saying iOS has a hardcore library that can rival Nintendo or Sony's offerings (especially the next gen quality we'll see with Vita), but there are tons and tons of long games that have kept me hooked.

will someone be posting an opposing thread asking if handheld/console gamers will be buying a smartphone?

for me, that answer will be NO (at least no apple smartphones for me EVER)

see i dont do texting, twittering, facebooking, etc etc i use my regular samsung phone for phone calls and some web browsing (a service which i am seriously considering turning off)

i am of the mind that considers smartphones and the prevalence of texting/social media as the idiot devices of the 21st century (much like tv was back in the 20th)...
talk about weapons of mass distractions - everywhere you go you see people absolutely distracted by their tiny 4 inch screens....so much so we have people walking straight into manholes and crashing their cars into pedestrians
all so we can tweet that we are picking our noses and watching a lady gaga video while waiting in line at the local walmart.....

so for me, at least for the forseeable future...i will satisfy my gaming with a gaming portable like VITA and just use a BASIC cellphone for talking.

deim0s

I own a smartphone and a tablet, but I still don't see why it would prevent me to pickup a Vita on day 1 (or even a 3DS if any of its games interests me much.)

My smartphone or iPad doesn't replace or takes away anything from my PC, console gaming. I see it this way... My phone/tablet is for calls/emails/reading that could play games in a pinch. Having ports of old games like FFT might give cred as a gaming device, but I don't really feel that gets my attention enough like a real handheld game would do.

yurinka

Yes, day one.

I really enjoyed the PSP, and now I want more horsepower, touchscreen, motion sensor and second analog. And I'm really hyped with some Vita games that aren't going to be in my Android/iOS gadgets.

I have a high end Android phone and a high end iPod, and love some of their games, but I miss AAA hardcore games and some popular IPs there, and proper controls (physical pad, 2 analogs and buttons) for certain genres that I love.

Even if smartphones had all this stuff, their market is saturated with free/$1 games so that means that high budget games don't fit here, so I think I'll need a handheld console like Vita these years.

In addition to this, Vita will have a shit ton of PSP, PS1, Minis and Neogeo games since day one.

And it will have a decent price for it, so I'm in.

Pappasman

I own an iPhone and I plan on getting a vita. I use my phone for all the other features except gaming. I would much rather own a 3DS and Vita for gaming.

frAntic_Frog said:
will someone be posting an opposing thread asking if handheld/console gamers will be buying a smartphone?

for me, that answer will be NO (at least no apple smartphones for me EVER)

see i dont do texting, twittering, facebooking, etc etc i use my regular samsung phone for phone calls and some web browsing (a service which i am seriously considering turning off)

tumblr_lmw3maZS3S1qbyanr.jpg

for me it depends on the price of the software.
i am so used to paying <$4.99 for my ipad games that i dont think i can spend $50+ on a mobile game even if it is superior.

3N16MA

Banned
Why do I need a Vita and Uncharted when I can get this on my iPhone?:

uKNyl.jpg

Sorry for posting that garbage

I won't get a Vita until Sony releases the revised one with TV output. Hopefully Sony will follow the same MO they did with the PSP, where the first revision had it but the original launch one didn't.

ofx360

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I've also spent hours beating the campaigns of games like Battlefield 2 and Modern Combat 2 (shooters).

My condolences....

Though, i just meant for me personally. Its only good for short burst to me. None of those games really hook me like a bigger game does.

Even "deeper" games like Zenonia 3 only manage to grab me for minutes at a time.

I think the smartphones have killed any possibility of me really buying a a handheld. Its not even an issue of gaming...its an issue of THE INTERNETS.

When I really want to game I'll sit down at home and do it. When im off on the road and am looking for some entertainment, the lure of browsing facebook, websites, AIM, texting, etc always seemed to fill the gulf. And I have no doubt that games on the level of SNES will end up on phones in some way and maintain functionality. For now there is angry birds.

Now the Vita has a chance because it will have 3G and a phone plan possibility, but I'd need to know more about its phone functionality, contracts, etc. If its a great phone I'd definitely jump over if everything was favorable.

jackdoe

I own a Droid X. But I will buy a 3DS and Vita. Why? The games on my smart phone don't hold my attention and they kill my battery (which makes it a bit problematic if I'm traveling).

Eventually, but smartphone gaming is the least thing that is affecting my purchase.

Sony are beginning to display incompetence by not having it released by the end of this year. This puts it head to head with the iPad 3, which I am also very interested in buying (and not for gaming purposes).

Additionally, I will also need a new smartphone next year as my contract expires in summer. A smartphone is a hell of a lot more important to everyday life than a Vita is (somewhat ironic given the name).

All this combined together is going to make 2012 a very expensive gadget year for me. If Sony had released it in 2011, when I actually have some money from my recent 3DS sale and there is little else to take away my time and mindshare, I might have been more inclined.

There is also the fact that I have been enjoying my PSP Go lately with all its custom firmware goodness. I think I will not need a Vita until 2013 at the earliest. But then by that point Nintendo will have likely turned their 3DS ship around, with a lite version in the pipeline, and Vita will be right back to square one for Sony..

Oppo

One thing that I think could potentially have an effect on dedicated handhelds vs smartphones: if it becomes frowned upon or outright illegal for kids to use cell phones. Due to fears about the radiation effect on minors.

There's always ways around that (speakerphone mode, headsets) but I could see a lot of parents specifically leaning towards devices that don't have a phone capability, like the iPod touch, 3DS and Vita.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No, but that's because I've already dropped $250 on a 3DS and I'm not looking to buy another handheld so soon.

Smartphone games are generally just arcade style games you play for a few minutes at a time. there's not really much that's deep enough for you to sink a couple hours into at once like a handheld.

I don't even usually use handhelds as two minute game machines, it's more like, "sweet here are some games I can play for an hour or so in bed." Like curling up with a good book or something.

bigkrev

Probably.

I barely play games on my iPhone, and when I do, its to play Bejeweled 2 or Peggle for a minute or 2. When I have free time and just my phone, I just browse the internet.

Mikeside

I have an iPod touch 4G and an Android smartphone (I also have a PSP and a 3DS, if that's any interest)

I'm definitely getting a PSV - totally different device and it's going to kick arse and take names.

I just hope it turns into the RPG machine that the PSP did :)

LCfiner

I’ll be getting one, yes. mainly for that supposedly gorgeous screen, though. high res OLED? sign me up.

I don’t play a lot of portable games - even on my iOS devices - but I’m too much of gadget freak to pass up the vita at 250 bucks.

strem

I have an iPad 2 and I honestly could care less about the 3DS or Vita. I understand that tons of games on the app store but there are a few real gem and I have yet to spend over $5 on a single app. Most I get are free. Some I like others I don't.

The price of the software is something that Sony or Nintendo can't compete with. $40 for a portable game in this new market just seems insane.

Whether they want to admit it or not Apple has changed the game and are eating their lunch.

RooMHM

I don't consider smartphones/tablets applications as games. Probably never will. I don't see a link between the purchase decision of smartphones and portable consoles apart from a budget consideration.

Amon37

Apples and oranges comparison. Will absolutely get vita regardless of my smartphone, they still aren't in the same league.

Zoc

I'll get it if and when there are a critical mass of games I really want, and the price of the system (and the games I want for it) go down to a level I consider reasonable.

Same as anything else, I guess. It really doesn't matter to me whether I play games on a computer screen on a desk, on a TV on a wall, or on a portable in my hands. And already having a phone, or a DS, or whatever, hasn't stopped me from buying a new system in the past.

FoxSpirit

jackdoe said:
I own a Droid X. But I will buy a 3DS and Vita. Why? The games on my smart phone don't hold my attention and they kill my battery (which makes it a bit problematic if I'm traveling).

Haha, yeah, actually, the battery thing is so true. Really using a smartphone means it will soon cease to even phone for me >.<
Remember the days when you used a phone for 5 days straight without charging?

LCfiner said:
I’ll be getting one, yes. mainly for that supposedly gorgeous screen, though. high res OLED? sign me up.

I don’t play a lot of portable games - even on my iOS devices - but I’m too much of gadget freak to pass up the vita at 250 bucks.

You will be pleased. Fullsized OLED will be so awesome for so many things.

SmokyDave

Yeah, I'll be getting one for the PSP backwards compatibility and the exclusives (hopefully a Motorstorm and a Gran Turismo). I've a sizeable PSN account so I can 'hit the ground running' when it comes to the games, which I suspect will be overpriced. It won't leave the house like my old portables did, that's what my iPhone is for now. It'll just be a little sofa-based console that has it's own screen. I probably won't buy it at launch, as I would've done in the world before smartphones.

I have a Windows Phone, an iPad and I play games on both platforms. Will I get a Vita? Probably, but not at launch. The launch games don't interest me and unless Square announces a full 3D remake of FF7, there's no way I'm gonna buy it day 1.

kpop100 said:
I'd be there day 1 if it featured TV out of some kind.
I'm still very disappointed that it won't have a TV out.

roxya

Mobile phone games are garbage. Touch-only controls are awful and really limits how good certain genres can be. I bought Zenonia but I can't stand tapping my glass screen to hit stuff.

I will get a Vita.

SmokyDave

kpop100 said:
I'd be there day 1 if it featured TV out of some kind.
brotkasten said:
Wait, what?

The PSP-Go has a TV out, and it can even be used with it's charging dock. The Vita has NO TV-Out? Are we sure?

Sintoid

I have a limited Android Device. I need it only for email, skype, fb and things that have nothing to share with gaing. I tried to play a couple of times with the only game I assume I could play on a phone, Zenonia... Controls are ugly and I hate my thumbs on the screen covering 30% of the visual :D

Hell yeah, I will buy Vita (and 3DS too) I'm not going to merge phone and gaming if the result is so lacking of quality. I have a quite small bag that I take everywhere with me and I don't care if I have to carry two devices instead of one (and USB recharge helps us - 1 power unit and 2 power cords is great feature)

HolyTaco

I was hyped for Vita, I've been realising recently I don't do much mobile gaming though... I do like playing handhelds in bed at night though and it looks like it will have cool games so I will probably buy it (Also NEW WIPEOUT.... HYYYYPE), and the whole cross play stuff sounds awesome. If I'm on a bus or train etc for less than an hour I'm more likely to just play games on my android phone

Ellis Kim

Banned
brotkasten said:
I'm willing to bet that there'll be a cable they release somewhere down the line that hooks to that proprietary port below the system to hdmi.

I think the Vita is a really sexy piece of hardware (a feeling I suspect will grow once I lay my eyes upon it's screen,) but I'm really curious what kind of support it'll have about 18-24 months out. I hope that there are lots of talented devs currently working on the great handheld masterpieces of 2014, but I worry that the industry's general unease with handhelds right now might make the larger companies reluctant to commit to the budgets necessary for AAA Vita games.

Takao

Banned
Hunter-Zero said:
Or maybe they are planning some shit like a dock-charger-something that enables tv out using the multipurpose port below, who knows

PSP didn't get TV-out until PS3 was out.

PSV won't get TV-out until PS4 is out?

SmokyDave

Hunter-Zero said:
Sadly, it seems so
Ah, that's a shame. It's not a deal-breaker for me but it's sad to see part of the feature-set take a step backwards. PSP-Go & TV / Charging Dock & DS3 made a funky little temporary console.

Yagharek

I got a wp7 phone and I have zero interest in using it for gaming. Played a dozen demos and only geo defence is any good. Still inferior to both pixeljunk monsters and starship patrol.

I wouldn't skip a vita for a smartphone, but I won't get a vita since i have a 3ds. But if i didn't have one of those, vita would be a no brainer.

Real controls + real games >>>>>> smartphone rubbish games.

Number45

SmokyDave said:
Ah, that's a shame. It's not a deal-breaker for me but it's sad to see part of the feature-set take a step backwards. PSP-Go & TV / Charging Dock & DS3 made a funky little temporary console.
I'm wondering if that's EXACTLY what they're worried about - they're making such a big deal of the Vita being almost like a portable PS3 that, if you could hook it up to the TV and play with a DS3, people would just go for the Vita.

I expect it to be added at some point, but personally it's not a feature I currently use or expect to use in the future (when my TV is available, I'll be on the PS3).

FoxSpirit

roxya said:
Mobile phone games are garbage. Touch-only controls are awful and really limits how good certain genres can be. I bought Zenonia but I can't stand tapping my glass screen to hit stuff.

I will get a Vita.

Yeah, Zenonia is one of those games which severely highlight the need for a physically tactile input.

That said, tower defense games work really well with touch screen. As do management games. And puzzles. But anything action related is a no-go.

Kosma

Banned
I have a Galaxy S2, and there are plenty of games on it to entertain me. There really is no reason for me to carry around another device or spend another 200. I can listen to music, watch shows, browse the net, play games, make pics, make movies etc. on ONE device.

The type of games that would require extremely good controls (online FPS etc.) are best played at home on PC/console anyway. Everything else is def good enough with good touch controls. As this is an enthousiast forum you will likely see a lot of people still wanting to buy Vita/3DS, but these devices will never have mass appeal since casuals are gaming on their phones now.

Number45

Kosma said:
The type of games that would require extremely good controls (online FPS etc.) are best played at home on PC/console anyway. Everything else is def good enough with good touch controls.
The part you've emphasised is one of the main draws of the Vita, surely? Dual-analogue sticks, shoulder and face buttons etc?

SmokyDave

Number45 said:
The part you've emphasised is one of the main draws of the Vita, surely? Dual-analogue sticks, shoulder and face buttons etc?
The 'best played' bit is the crux, I suspect. Vita is close, but it still ain't the 7.1 / 1080p big screen affair that PC (and to a lesser extent console) gaming is.

Number45

SmokyDave said:
The 'best played' bit is the crux, I suspect. Vita is close, but it still ain't the 7.1 / 1080p big screen affair that PC (and to a lesser extent console) gaming is.
True, but it's pretty damn close (particularly with a half decent set of headphones I would think). You have to expect to make some kind of concession for the convenience of being able to play it on the move - I've never even tried to play a shooter on the PSP, but I'll definitely be trying one out on the Vita.

Top Bottom