• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

theBishop said:
If the game had online, the rest of it would make a lot more sense for me. The comparison to Demon's Souls is definitely interesting. Maybe I'll get a Vita version if it's got online. I do like the idea of it, I just didn't think "The West" cared about the series.

Adhoc party on PSP and the Wii version is online.

theBishop said:
If the game had online, the rest of it would make a lot more sense for me. The comparison to Demon's Souls is definitely interesting. Maybe I'll get a Vita version if it's got online. I do like the idea of it, I just didn't think "The West" cared about the series.
The game is actually fun once you get past the learning curve and you start using the claw, not to mention the fun factor is amplified if you play with friends in ad-hoc who are just as capable as you are.

theBishop

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
The Vita already has Dragons Crown and Gravity Daze. And a WipeOut.

I can't wait to play Gravity Daze. Metal Storm is one of my favorite games of all time, and very few games have attempted gravity manipulation mechanics since.

I don't play games on my samsung galaxy s2

speedpop said:
Nothing at launch looks appealing to me on the Vita.
but also this. vita looks like shit so far. will pick it up whenever it's got games I have an interest in playing

tehbible said:
Furthermore, the chip in Vita will eventually be in high end Smartphones in 2012 anyhow. Quad core chips slated to come out in 2012, with NVIDIA being the first with their KAL-EL chip.

How long until those are <250$ and games make use of them though? 5 years?

mr_chun

You bet your booty. I can only play Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Playstation Vita, so it's an instant buy for me. It isn't affected at all by what phone (or other handhelds) I have. I buy gaming consoles, not phones, to play games. If the software is there (and it is), I'll buy it.

Lonely1 said:
It doens't has a SoC comparable to Vita's and won't for a couple of years.

It also isn't a smartphone.

Buying an ipod touch for 205$ that has way lower specs than Vita, no buttons, tinier screen, etc just to listen to MP3s and play "minis" seems silly to me.

I can understand when it's a phone because, you know, EVERYONE has a phone nowadays and every phone in the market is either android or iOS and thus more or less gaming capable. If you're going to have a phone that can play games then you might as well use it, and if you're not a gamer then you may not need a handheld console (just like there were people that used their "dumbphones" (such a dumb name) with the Snake game while some other people were playing pokemon emerald on their GBA). But going out of your way to buy an mp3/mp4 player than can also play games and it's almost as expensive as a handheld and is way behind it as a gaming machine... I just can't see it.

NEO0MJ

having a smartphone has no real impact on my decision.
For now it's no, but maybe when more interesting games show up I'll pick it up.

Balb

I definitely want one, but I'm not sure if I want to get one right away. I don't really trust Sony's first party offerings on their portables, as they often farm out their franchises to B or C tier developers. If it gets downloadable XBLA-style games like Castle Crashers, Pac-Man CE DX and a few good full retail games then I'm in for sure.

numble

Risk Breaker said:

Buying an ipod touch for 205$ that has way lower specs than Vita, no buttons, tinier screen, etc just to listen to MP3s and play "minis" seems silly to me.

I can understand when it's a phone because, you know, EVERYONE has a phone nowadays and every phone in the market is either android or iOS and thus more or less gaming capable. If you're going to have a phone that can play games then you might as well use it, and if you're not a gamer then you may not need a handheld console (just like there were people that used their "dumbphones" (such a dumb name) with the Snake game while some other people were playing pokemon emerald on their GBA). But going out of your way to buy an mp3/mp4 player than can also play games and it's almost as expensive as a handheld and is way behind it as a gaming machine... I just can't see it.
They sold 5 million iPod Touches last quarter.

As an iPhone owner, nope. I've already got a 3DS, DS, and PSP.

This generation I was planning on just sticking to the DS and PSP but I ended up getting a Wii and 360 through sales, and now I've got way too much stuff to play and not enough time.

Just sticking with the 3DS throughout the upcoming generation for handhelds.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't really game on my phone. There's waaaaaaaay too much coming out this year for me to even consider a vita for awhile, though.

enewtabie

Definitely getting one. I wanted one for my wedding gift in Oct,but I guess I'll be waiting a while longer. My wife and I both have Iphone4s and Ipads and I'm still getting one.

amrihua

Risk Breaker said:

But going out of your way to buy an mp3/mp4 player than can also play games and it's almost as expensive as a handheld and is way behind it as a gaming machine... I just can't see it.

Not all iOS games are minis, some of them are high production games no less than what you get on the DS or PSP. The iPod touch compares competitively against current PSP, this won't be the case with Vita but you can bet Apple won't be standing still.
The Vita is huge and won't fit in most people's pockets, the iPod touch is excessively thin and light, runs iOS apps and is an iPod. It won't displace the PSP Vita and neither will the PSP Vita displace it.
Software prices will also be a factor, not a lot of kids can afford +$40 games.

Buttons

Yes I will buy a PSVita.

I have an android phone but I hardly play games on it. Maybe angry birds every now and then. I just dislike playing games on a touch-screen and I still like buying games in a physical case with artwork.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Answer to topic: Yep. Have both an iPad and a high-end Android phone. None can give me the quality of gaming that either the Vita or the 3DS can.

mozfan12

Banned
Nope, I'm not interested in most sony franchises, not a big fan of Uncharted for example, and its way too much money for me to spend right now. I like my iphone for the occasional game but I'd rather just game on the television.

Maybe when its cheaper and there is some content that the interests me.

theBishop

Banned
mozfan12 said:
Nope, I'm not interested in most sony franchises, not a big fan of Uncharted for example, and its way too much money for me to spend right now. I like my iphone for the occasional game but I'd rather just game on the television.

Maybe when its cheaper and there is some content that the interests me.

What kinds of games you like?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There are a handful of iOS games that I really like, but it simply doesn't compare to what the Vita is offering. Day 1.

mozfan12

Banned
theBishop said:
What kinds of games you like?

A new metal gear solid, rachet and clank, or one of the games from the Ico guys might push me over the edge to get the Vita but except for Ruin, the lineup so far does not interest me that much. I have a psp and I really liked it, but I did not buy one until it was affordable.

As I type this on my iPhone, while on a boat ride down the Mississipi River.

Yes, buttons, buttons, and 2 anolog sticks are what have me excited. Not to mention dat line up of games on day one. At least 4 that I'm interested in, and 2 others I'm on the fence about.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Definitely will be picking one up. My iPhone 4 has many games that I like but I could never commit to them like I have for my dedicated portable gaming devices and consoles.

Rarutos

I have an iPhone, and I will get a Vita at least eventually. I don't really like playing games on my iPhone all that much, and Vita is bound to have some amazing games that I will enjoy. Since the PSP is getting so much JRPG support nowadays, chances are it'll be carried over to the Vita, which is already showed since the 3rd party list did consist of companies like GUST and NIS...

jagowar

I will more than likely not.... I have a console for the big experiences and a wp7 covers my mobile needs pretty well.

They do have one chance to get me though (but I don't see it happening). They have to price their full handheld games much cheaper than they plan to. That is my real hangup with both the 3ds and the vita. I am NOT willing to pay more than $20 for a "full" portable game period.

It is not so much the $1 games on the mobile platform's that get me.... its the comparison to things like xbla which on their high end are $15 and provide very similar depth of gameplay, graphics, etc to something like the vita. I would be willing to pay slightly higher than xbla prices but not twice the price...... that is just insanity imo.

i play very few games on my iphone 4. There are some great ones on it though.

I might get a Vita. Cause chances are that there will be great games on it. and it's a real game machine.

Zzoram

No. I prefer browsing the web when I'm on a bus to playing a game. I can handle casual games on the go, but it's hard to get in the zone for a hardcore game when commuting.

Once they squeeze the Vita's components into a competent smartphone that can play Vita games with actual physical controls, most certainly I will.

Basically, I'm holding out for the Xperia Play 2, because like most people, I don't have the room in my pocket for yet another device.

njean777

I will if the games are there. I have a iPhone, and 3ds. No phone will ever replace real games on a handheld for me. I love my 3ds more then my iPhone for games, even though there are not many 3ds games.

When I look at the games on iPhone it makes me cringe, maybe I'm just not a touch screen guy, but analog can not be replaced by touch it just isn't practical. Not saying there are not interesting games on the iPhone, there are, but there are so few that use the platform in all the right ways.

hiryu

I have an iPhone 4. I own both a DS and a PSP. I will not buy a 3DS or Vita. If I'm at home I will play my consoles or PC and when I have time on the go my phone is perfect and I have many great games for it. I have no interest in playing full fledged console like games on a handheld.

Sky Chief

As an iPad 2 owner I will absolutely be buying a Vita. It is what I have always dreamed my iPad could be as a gaming device but way more powerful and less than half the price. The lineup of announced games is stellar as well. It is one amazing device, I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Tuck

Aeana said:
I'll get any hardware that has games I want to play on it.

This.

I may not get it at launch - I'll probably wait to see the next wave of games first, but there are a couple of games that I do really want (Uncharted, Little Deviants, Little Big Planet).

It is similar to consoles. Just because I have a Wii, doesn't mean I wouldn't have bought my PS3. They are two different beasts with two different sets of games.

I own an iPhone 3GS and won't be ditching iPhones as my phones anytime soon.

I own all the handhelds from last gen and will own all the handhelds from this gen. What matters is the unique software. Ouendan could be done easily on the iPhone, but, well, it wasn't. GameDevStory could be done really easily on 3DSware but it wasn't. Birth By Sleep could have been done on PS2 but it wasn't.

I'm not the guy who sits around lusting over a game on another system while simultaneously bemoaning pocket space. If I want the game, then I get the system eventually and play it where I can.

Labadal said:
I've been reading all kinds of topics lately about how the price of the Vita should be lowered and how it is already dead on arrival because of the 3DS price drop and the smartphone + tablet trend.

My question to people with smartphones and/or tablets is: Will you get a PlayStation Vita at $250 if enough compelling software is available at release?

I'm asking this because I own an iphone 4 myself. I do have some games: Angry Birds, Game Dev Story and Chrimson Gem Saga. That's it. I might buy a few more games down the line like: Cut the Rope, etc. But these games are a completely different kind of game that will be available on PSVita.

How would a game like Dragon's Crown, Wipeout or a Final Fantasy with action focused gameplay work on the iphone? Chrimosn Gem Saga is a completely turn based RPG, and even that doesn't feel perfect for the iphone.

An iphone and a PSVita are two different things for me. The iphone, I treat as a phone with lots of capabilites. I love it actually, half of my posts on neogaf are from my phone, I read all my mail from it and I have started to pay my bills with it. It follows me anywhere(well, duh it's a phone). BUT I do not treat it as a dedicated gaming device. It doesn't matter if the Vita has facebook, skype or twitter, I buy a Vita only because I will be gaming on it. It is not competing with other devices like smartphones or tablets for me.

It will only be competing with one other device: the 3DS. I got one for a very good price on ebay. I think the 3DS had to get a price drop because after the initial launch, there hasn't been much to look forward to, wich means no big incentive to get one no matter the price. The only 3DS game I want at the moment is Tales of the Abyss. (I'm still happy with my purchase, because I have bought tonnes of NDS games, never owned a NDS.) I would have gladly paid the full price if there was enough software.

If we look at the Vita, I don't think Sony will repeat the same mistake Nintendo did with 3DS: Releasing a handheld without enough support.

I am already interested in some PSVita games: LBP, Modnation Racers, Ucharted: GA, Gravity Daze, Everybody's Golf and Dragon's Crown. Then we have Wipeout, Sound Snapes, and a couple of fighting games and whatever will be announced at TGS. I am guessing they will also allow us to play our PSOne classics.

As a comparison, I own zero actual 3DS games.

Yes I will.

I own an iPhone, an iPad, and a 3DS.

And probably at some point down the line. The initial line-up isn't *too* compelling (sans Hot Shots Golf, sucker for those games), but probably 6-12 months down the line absolutely.

Skilletor

ShockingAlberto said:
I own an iPhone 3GS and won't be ditching iPhones as my phones anytime soon.

I own all the handhelds from last gen and will own all the handhelds from this gen. What matters is the unique software. Ouendan could be done easily on the iPhone, but, well, it wasn't. GameDevStory could be done really easily on 3DSware but it wasn't. Birth By Sleep could have been done on PS2 but it wasn't.

I'm not the guy who sits around lusting over a game on another system while simultaneously bemoaning pocket space. If I want the game, then I get the system eventually and play it where I can.

Few "tag quotes" could be more accurate.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I own an Iphone 4 and a 3DS.

Most of my gaming on the go is with the Iphone just because of ease of use/carrying space. That said, I bought the 3DS for the compelling software that's coming from Nintendo. So if I find a title that demands my attention (Like OOT3D) then I will bring my 3DS along on long trips where I know I will have large gaps of free time. But most of my gaming on the go WILL be with my Iphone. It's a device I have to have on my at all-times and it really is second-to-none when it comes to accessibility and quick gaming. I can jump into Broken Sword for a bit or get a quick game of NBA Jam with a simple swipe and click.

But in the end the Iphone will not be offering the quality and in-depth software like the 3DS or PSVita. Period. I just really don't believe a touch-screen-only system can replicate such software like Mario or Uncharted. So now it just matters of how compelling the software is for the PSVita. Is it enough to get me to drop my console pad at home and pick up a handheld? Do I even have the free time to invest in that? And is it really worth paying $250 for? Me even questioning this makes me think that the PSVita has a tough battle ahead of it, not only for casual gamers, but for Hardcore gamers alike. Sure, if that must-have title comes along I will put the $250 down, but a new console/handheld is not the impulse buy it use to be last generation, and that is oddly concerning to me.

Gaming has changed.

Dakota47

Diprosalic said:
no i won't but that has nothing to do with me owning a smartphone. i never play games on my phone.

Same for me. I usually browse through my regular forums and sites when commuting.

Top Bottom