• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Bgamer90

Banned
unrenowned said:
I want one but know that it will almost never be used. Dedicated handheld is a dying market.

Yet the DS is currently selling better than the Wii and the PS3...

I guess console gaming is a dying market too then.

I play games on my phone a lot, from online 3d games to music games. I'm open to getting a Vita as it impresses me a lot more than a 3DS but I'm not going to blindly get it - I have to see a lot (not a few) games that impress me. So I won't be an early adopter but I do see it happening.

I like smartphone gaming but it doesn't have to be an exclusive transition. I simply don't think the 3DS is good enough - Vita may be.

tehbible

Vita will be DoA in U.S.A.

Portable gaming just isn't that big in the U.S.

I can see portable gaming if you live in a huge megatropolis, and you're commute takes hours per trip.

Furthermore, the chip in Vita will eventually be in high end Smartphones in 2012 anyhow. Quad core chips slated to come out in 2012, with NVIDIA being the first with their KAL-EL chip.

kunonabi

Doubtful.

Game lineup doesn't really interest me and I already own a 3DS and a DSXL which is more than enough for my handheld needs. I may pick up a PSP when it drops below 100$ though.

gokieks

With the stipulation that there are good games exclusive to it, absolutely. Uncharted and Hot Shots Golf are nearly enough to make me there day one.

My owning a smartphone is completely irrelevant to whether I will buy a PSV - the only time I ever use my iPhone to play games is when I'm waiting at a doctor's office or governmental agency. I can only think of once that I spent a serious chunk of time playing something on it (one afternoon of doing nothing but playing Game Dev Story), so the smartphone gaming experience is one that I really wouldn't even feel disappointed to not have. I'm expecting to also buy an iPad 3, and funnily enough one major reason is that I really do want to buy Final Fantasy Tactics yet again (in HD this time!), but it still wouldn't be a platform that I'm interested in gaming on - instead it'll primarily be a web browser/e-reader/video player.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
What games are even coming out for the Vita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

??

Of course I'm interested, but so far it just seems like PS3-portable to me and I don't really have the space in my pockets to carry around another device just to play PS3 games on the go. I'm more interested in importing a Japanese Vita if it really takes off than buying the NA version that is likely to get minimal support.

SoulClap

I doubt it. I have little to no interest in handheld or mobile gaming for that matter. I like what I've seen from the Vita lineup though. This is probably the most appealing a handheld has been to me.

theBishop

Banned
B!TCH said:
What games are even coming out for the Vita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

??

Of course I'm interested, but so far it just seems like PS3-portable to me and I don't really have the space in my pockets to carry around another device just to play PS3 games on the go. I'm more interested in importing a Japanese Vita if it really takes off than buying the NA version that is likely to get minimal support.

Weird, I didn't realise Ruin was internally developed. Gives me slightly more faith in that game.

Does a Nokia N8 count as a smartphone?

I'm definitely getting a Vita, not day 1 though. Smartphone gaming isn't exactly for me especially full touch screen, Xperia Play is clearly an exception but I doubt we'd be seeing a lot of those kind compared to full touch screen with only a few buttons.

theBishop

Banned
tehbible said:
Portable gaming just isn't that big in the U.S.

I can see portable gaming if you live in a huge megatropolis, and you're commute takes hours per trip.

What makes you think this isn't the US? DC/Baltimore/Philly/NY/Boston is exactly what you describe. And a huge chunk of America lives there. There's a very similar relationship between San Francisco/Portland/Seattle/Vancouver on the West Coast as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Buying it. But I don't have a smartphone, neither do I lug around my ipad, so I might not qualify to answer this question.

Apath

Yes.

I can't think of a single iPhone game I've played that made me go "Man, this thing could replace standard handheld gaming consoles for me!"

Paznos

Yes of course, smartphone gaming is garbage compared to a dedicated handheld device with actual controls and just the types of games that will be available on the Vita.

Diprosalic said:
no i won't but that has nothing to do with me owning a smartphone. i never play games on my phone.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. Beside Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends that I play with some family and a few friends. I'd rather play on a dedicated gaming handheld. But not this one.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have an Android phone.

And yes. I will take a device that has buttons and analog sticks over pure touchscreen games any day of the week.

Labadal

blu said:
Buying it. But I don't have a smartphone, neither do I lug around my ipad, so I might not qualify to answer this question.

Question aimed at tablet users too. My question might not have been perfectly worded, but too late to change that now.

BurntPork

Banned
Yeah, but not at $250. When I was trying to save up for the 3DS, I learned that I just can't afford it, and Vita might be even worse in that sense because it might not have any internal memory.

Of course!

I still think a smart phone and a handheld are totally different things that are used for different purposes even though they both play games.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have an iPad 2 and a Droid X, yes I'll be getting a Vita. Mobile is great for casual games, but I need joysticks for hardcore games.

VariantX

depends on the games. If the games are like the games that came out on the DS and PSP in the last few years, then sure. If its just console ports spinoffs then ill pass. I dont need watered down versions of games that already exist on a console.

Vol5

I'm an iPhone4 owner and will more than likely get a Vita. While I enjoy the games on offer on the device, it's got nothing on having a gaming experience like on PC / PS3 / 360. I'm sure that Vita can offer that type of thing on a mobile device.

I have an Android phone, an iPad2, and an iPod Touch and I'll buy a Vita when it drops in price and a new revision is out. Think PSP 2000.

I bought my first smart phone, a Samsung Nexus S, earlier last week so I'm currently in the honeymoon phase with the device. Haven't purchased one game yet from the Android app market, all of these games look too simplistic, too primitive to be of genuine interest to me. I'd buy Dodonpachi, Final fantasy Tactics or Chaos Rings if they came to the Android app market but I'm not going to buy some atavistic piece of software that revolves around a singular action/mechanic repeated ad nauseum. So as far as gaming goes, my smart phone has augmented my dedicated portable gaming experience. I'm currently playing through Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and have used the phone to browse a fansite that has translations for the quests, carves and items.

All the Vita needs is the appropriate software. If Monster Hunter Freedom 3 is a launch title, I will buy a Vita and that game.

theBishop

Banned
I'm surprised to see so many gaffers professing Monster Hunter love. Despite its Japanese dominance, I never realised the games were any good, frankly. The reviews are good, but not spectacular and the lack of online support (on PSP) makes me lose any interest.

With all respect to the developers, and not trying to piss off any fans, but is this a case of the tail (japan fetishization/sales) wagging the dog (quality)?

Do you like the challenge of Demon's Souls? A hard but fair, challenging game that you have to work to beat, but the effort required and time invest add to the sense of reward when you do overcome a certain enemy. Does the idea of fighting bosses as epically huge as the ones in Demon's Souls and getting to make a hat out of them after you kill them sound appealing? Do you like playing with three friends in local coop?

theBishop

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Do you like the challenge of Demon's Souls? A hard but fair, challenging game that you have to work to beat, but the effort required and time invest add to the sense of reward when you do overcome a certain enemy. Does the idea of fighting bosses as epically huge as the ones in Demon's Souls and getting to make a hat out of them after you kill them sound appealing? Do you like playing with three friends in local coop?

If the game had online, the rest of it would make a lot more sense for me. The comparison to Demon's Souls is definitely interesting. Maybe I'll get a Vita version if it's got online. I do like the idea of it, I just didn't think "The West" cared about the series.

DaBuddaDa

If there is compelling software on the *Vita I want to play that cannot be found on any other platform I already own, then I will purchase a *Vita to go along with my iPhone, yes.

*exchange 'Vita' with the name of any other piece of technology that plays games for the rest of time here.

I'll be there day one at $250 for bf3, mw3 and or killzone, as long as online is good, and graphics are about what they showed. FIFA would also be on my want list. Without those games, I'll probably hold off, I am not an uncharted fan.

Kaizer

Banned
I'll admit that since getting the MyTouch 4G a few months ago, I've been playing on my PSP & DS less & less. However, I'm still intent on getting the Vita purely from a gameplay perspective. The apps and internet browser on my smartphone do sorta make those selling points of Vita useless to me, but if the Vita has some awesome software, I'm there day one.

No I will not.

I´ve got a DS, PSP and an Android smartphone, but I hardly play any games on them any longer, but I recently got an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) and that is a completely different story. If they scale up the Vita to an 8-10" tablet device then I may jump in.

FoxSpirit

Yes.

I have a Galaxy S-2 and while there are some really smart games on there, none of them is really fully fleshed out.
It's a hell-lot of awesome ideas and gameplay cut short by the sellable prices on phones.
Majesty springs to my mind, would be awesome if they added content, fully fleshed out the game and made it €10-15. But alas, that's not there yet.

The Vita already has Dragons Crown and Gravity Daze. And a WipeOut.

The only thing Sony needs to make certain is that I can suspend my game at any, any time. I really like that on my phone, drop out in a heartbeat, resume in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom