• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

longdi

Banned
not on launch, not with 45nm chips, not until they have a slider version. well, if vita comes with interesting features, i could consider. smartphones imho have made dedicated portables less a need for my travels.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with the Vita. Right now, there isn't a single game that I'd buy for the thing and I want to see what the first hardware revision brings. I didn't like the PSP's "play console games on the go" approach and Vita's doing the same thing, unfortunately.

That said, a new Lumines could change my calculus altogether.

Bentendo

After the 3DS launch I've learned that it's better to wait for a system's library to build before going out and buying it, especially since console manufacturers have a tendency to release upgraded models of their system shortly after launch. The Vita definitely looks interesting, but I'm going to wait just to make sure.

EDIT: Pretty much what he guy above me said.

tzare

of course. smartphone and tablets allow very limited gaming. Vita doesn't. Why people do not open threads asking the same regarding nintendo portable consoles?

No but that has more to do with me barely playing any games on the go in the past few years. The only thing I used my DS for is Pokemon in the past 3 years.

popeutlal

Probably not, don't see myself carrying this outside the house along with my phone. Already have a 360, PS3 and PC for home gaming.

Recarpo

Nope, I don't game much at all on my phone and I won't take a vita around with me either. Maybe after a price drop and It'll just be a purely "at home" portable console.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
My question to people with smartphones and/or tablets is: Will you get a PlayStation Vita at $250 if enough compelling software is available at release?

Galaxy S owner here,I don't do game on it because they sucks.

I have this $199 rule, I don't buy "gaming" handhelds if they cost more than that,so even if Vita has Shenmue 3, Ristar 2,Omega Boost 2 and Half-Life 3 exclusively at launch I am not going to buy it.

I likely won't buy a Vita for the first couple of years. I've been heavily burned by my experience with PSP + PS3 and know that the time to jump in is much much later. The iPhone and iPad aren't perfect, but with games like Final Fantasy Tactics, R-Type, Battleheart, Carcassone, Geometry Wars: Touch, Army of Darkness Defence, Solipskier, Sword and Sworcery and lots of cheap 1-2 dollar EA / Gameloft games to snack on... I really don't feel the need to jump in to rush to get what is sure to be undercooked games.

I bought a 3DS a while ago and just.. don't play it. I feel like a chump.

Smartphones have no effect on what I want from Nintendo and Sony handheld wise. Games are vastly different and I don't really like playing many games on my phone in the first place.

Skilletor

Aeana said:
I'll get any hardware that has games I want to play on it.

This.

I have a smartphone (LG G2X), iTouch 4, iPad.

Along with every handheld and console available on the market.

I go where the games I want to play go.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I have an evo 4g and an assus transformer.

No chance in hell am I buying the vita/3ds. Better gaming, and worse everything else

The rare time I have time to kill away from my tv/pc I'd rather read a book on my kindle app from my phone, play a mediocre touch screen game, or browse the web quickly.

I only carry keys and my phone.

Icarus

I have an iphone 3GS and an iPad 2. I love both. I will however also be buying a Vita (and I already have a 3DS).

Bigfoot

Nope. I have the PSP but never touched it again after I got my iPhone. I think I'm done with traditional handheld gaming. The only reason I would purchase a handheld is for my kids when they are old enough as I don't think the Touch is durable enough. I would probably go the DS route however unless the Vita is built more durable than the PSP.

Revolver

I plan to wait and see. I'm interested and some of the games are appealing but I'm in no hurry to jump in early on new hardware again.

Yoshiya said:
If your kid watches Yo Gabba Gabba you should also be watching Yo Gabba Gabba.

LISTENING AND DANCING TO MUSIC IS AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. I already have an Iphone 4, Ipad 2, and some DS systems. All my software is on that. I used to have a working psp, but my software (UMDs) won't carry over to the Vita. It's all about the software, and Playstation has nothing I need to play. They've always proven that if a PSP game is good enough, then it will get a console release. If it doesn't get a console release, it gets ported to the iOS. If it gets neither, it wasn't good enough.

Hell no. I'm not a fan of carrying multiple devices. The current smartphones do so much and for quick gaming on the go there are plenty of options. The games are evolving on the smartphones and the tech continues to get better and better.

Outside of "i have to play game X!" there is simply no benefit that I can see a dedicated handheld gaming device.

falconzss

Definitely at launch. My iPhone might be good enough to fool around playing games for a few minutes (with a few exceptions). The Vita games that have been shown so far a very compelling. Three of those at launch and i am satisfied.

Flambe

Yup, though I only have GameDev/Grand Prix story for games on my droid.

And despite not playing my PSP as much as I should've, the Vita tech specs are so sexy I don't think I can resist =P

iPhone 3GS + iPad here. iPhone is for quick little games. iPad is for same device multiplayer games (Fruit Ninja, Flight Control, Achtung, MultiPong, Jenga, Carcassonne, etc). PSV will fix my 'don't wanna sit on the same couch again' mood. I can freely choose where I'll play my games.

Also, I haven't played any CoD since Modern Warfare 1. I'm probably in for a portable CoD though, seems like a perfect online game if you have say 30 minutes or an hour of spare time. I wouldn't touch any console version of it, but I can see how it would be nice fit on a handheld for me personally.

paskowitz

All I have a is Droid Incredible, so yeah. Just not immediately. I want to see what people (GAF) have to say about it. $250 is a great price, but it is still $250.

i own an iphone 4 because i love beautifully awesome technology, so of course i'll be getting a vita

that, and the fact that there is no way i will be able to play anything approaching wipeout 2048 on my phone for a million years

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
i will not be getting a vita. nothing against the system itself i just have no use for a handheld with my smartphone and i don't want to buy yet another system that i have to get $40-50 games for.

Pooya

if it has good number of quality RPGs I'll get it. RPGs are the only handheld games that I play, don't care about anything else, so far nothing that interests me, too soon to tell. I have never bought a hardware at launch anyway, it all depends on the games I want to play.

hyp

nope. iPad/iPhone work perfect for what I want in a handheld experience. the deeper stuff is reserved for my consoles.

Bgamer90

Banned
RukusProvider said:
Hell no. I'm not a fan of carrying multiple devices. The current smartphones do so much and for quick gaming on the go there are plenty of options. The games are evolving on the smartphones and the tech continues to get better and better.

Outside of "i have to play game X!" there is simply no benefit that I can see a dedicated handheld gaming device.

So playing with actual buttons isn't a benefit?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm getting an iPhone 5 (if that's what they're calling it) later this year and probably the Vita when it comes out. Problem?

Top Bottom