• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

LilZippa

I really debated getting a psp for a while now, but the vita looks interesting and I am seriously considering it. I have not been a portable gamer for a while the last handheld I owned was a Gameboy in middle school.

Yes and I have an iPhone 4 and iPad. I rarely game on either though. Initially I did, but I found myself purchasing things that I never played.

Oh wait, that's how I am with PS3 and the DS. Hmm

patsu

I have 2 iPhones and 1 iPad. Will buy either a Sony S2 or Vita to play Sony games and access other services. It's the content that drives the needs.

Handphones are not as great as pads for gaming. If there is a game on both iPhone and iPad, iPad always win. My family members and I would fight for the iPad. We take iPad out of the house very often too even though it can't fit in our pocket.

Similarly, *if* Sony can build a more compelling gaming experience than iPhone, it can win phone gaming in my family too. But they have to solve the marketing problem. Most consumers don't feel that they need a dedicated game console. they have to invent a sales pitch or "mission" for Vita to better make Vita stand out in consumers' mind (e.g., be a leading _group_ entertainment device, or car+bike entertainment system, or distant learning game center, or a new completely way to enjoy entertainment from Internet, etc).

People who are not considering Vita at this point may reconsider later when more interesting software and services are available on Vita exclusively. So the important thing for Sony is to position Vita properly first. Delay if necessary -- unless they can come up with a refreshing mobile entertainment experience.

As an iphone/ipad/PC/PS3/360/Wii owner, no I will not be buying the Vita. Handheld gaming holds very little interest for me and when I do, ipad and iphone fill my needs admirably by being a different experience than my home setup provides. I'm not looking for a device that's trying to create the console experience in my hands. That's a bit redundant to me.

I have had iPhones since 2007 and about the only thing I'll never use it for is games. VIta is where I'll get all of my future potable game experiences aside from the 3DS.

As as iphone owner, once the novelty wore off I find that I only play words with friends and carcassonne. I've stopped looking at iphone games because they are all nothing but highscore-athon games with little depth and horrible controls. They also kill my battery life.

I have a vita pre-ordered and look forward to buying it. :)

Oppo

Probably. Although not at launch.

For reference I have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, PS3 and 360.

If the launch model supported video out I'd definitely get one.

I don't consider my smartphone a gaming device, first and foremost.

That said, I am likely to get a Vita eventually (something something Falcom), but at launch/launch-window, there are no games that I have any interest in. Also, I'm a little worried that the game will get great Japanese support and sort of fizzle elsewhere and most of the games I'd want to play are left in moon language (why did I ever quit taking Japanese classes, sigh).

dalin80

Banned
Yep, as awesome as my (or most) smartphone is it isnt cut out for gaming, a touchscreen will only get you so far without your fingers getting in the way of the screen.

awesome screen and side buttons/controls. much better.

Dilbert

I bought a PSP at launch and loved it. Still do. I just never have time to play it.

I'm older, I'm busy, and the little time I can spend on gaming seems to happen on iPhone and iPad. So I can't imagine buying a dedicated handheld gaming system in the foreseeable future. This is not a knock on PSVita -- just an acknowledgment of reality. Gaming is far less important to me, for better or worse.

I am still undecided. It all depends on the software that takes advantage of the hardware. If it is gimmicky like I saw with the Uncharted demo where the controls look cumbersome and the people playing it will just play the game with the standard sticks on Vita then what is the point? I'd rather just spend $20 extra and play a far superior game on the PS3 instead of playing it on a 5" screen.

The other issue I have is time. I hardly have the time to play games on my smartphone as it is since I view Vita and smartphones as portable devices that are best played when I'm not home. Which means those .99 cent games do just fine. When I am home I want a full immersive experience and that is done best on the PC or home console IMO.

Oppo

JWong said:
Yep. Depending on how good browsing is, might even kill data on my phone.... maybe.
This is actually a crucial question, now that you mention it. The browser needs to be good and fast. Do we know any details about it? Not NetFront again, I hope?

Ptaaty

probably not getting a Vita though it looks awesome.

I realized that portable gaming for me is the simpler pick up and play type games. Games that are different than the typical "real" gaming experience.

A real home experience on the go doesn't have any appeal to me. I want the real home experience at home in my home theater or on the PC depending on the game type.

This was the case when I owned previous portables, but it took me awhile to realize it.

As Dilbert above mentioned, gaming is less important to me now some because of time constraints and family, some because too many games don't keep me interested like they used to. I have generation fatigue. Unless Vita brings extremely good and new unique play experiences I'll skip it.

My owning of an iPhone does no effect my decision to purchase a Vita. Though the Vita being twice the size of my current iPhone/PSP Go does.

theBishop

Banned
I've got the Evo4G and a Viewsonic GTablet, and yeah I'll get the Vita. Playing games on the Evo is only possible when I know for a fact I'll be able to charge the thing later. If I'm on a trip or something, it's not worth risking the battery for 10 minutes of Cut the Rope. Dedicated gaming device FTW.

If Vita has the flexibility of offering one fee to be able to play some games on Vita and the PS3 like we see at times on IOS devices then that will make buying a Vita much easier.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Iphone games, with the rare exception of games like Game Dev Story, do not have enough meat on them to keep me occupied.

Frankly, the PSP was pretty damn awesome, so I'd get my Vita... eventually.

Ulairi

Banned
I'll be getting one but not until the fall after it releases. iPhone/Smartphone gaming just isn't very good. Every hyped game, like Infinity Blade, GameDev Story, Sword and Sworcery just end up sucking.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I play tons of games on my iphone and ipad and i plan to get a psvita just for uncharted.

Ulairi said:
I'll be getting one but not until the fall after it releases. iPhone/Smartphone gaming just isn't very good. Every hyped game, like Infinity Blade, GameDev Story, Sword and Sworcery just end up sucking.

Glad this is just your opinion and not factual truth. *looks at tag* oh I see.

theBishop said:
I've got the Evo4G and a Viewsonic GTablet, and yeah I'll get the Vita. Playing games on the Evo is only possible when I know for a fact I'll be able to charge the thing later. If I'm on a trip or something, it's not worth risking the battery for 10 minutes of Cut the Rope. Dedicated gaming device FTW.

I doubt I can deal with a phone battery like that. On my phone I was able to play some games like groove coaster and afterward watch x-men on netflix on the train and still had battery life left over when I returned home.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've got my iPhone 4 on me 24/7 and I'm buying a Vita day 1.

Currently I play Plants vs. Zombies, Game Dev Story and Bejeweled 2 on my iPhone when I don't have a book to keep me company on the subway to and from work.

Unfortunatly I think the Vita will end up like the PSP and don't fit my lifestyle very well. Meaning it'll get played whenever I get a game for it that I can't resist. But the Vita has some features that I felt the PSP was lacking like dual analogsticks and a touchscreen.

I'll buy it but I don't know how much I'll use it.

BurningNad

I have not encountered any games on Android that I would sit down and play for hours and hours, and I prefer to have actual controls instead of just a touch screen. My owning a smartphone (Droid Incredible) will have no effect on whether I purchase a PSVita (which is definitely going to happen.)

I will be purchasing a Vita as well. I own an iPhone and an iPad and I only play games on them that are conducive to using touch controls I.e angry birds, pvz, scrabble. Controls are important to me and I cannot play any game that restricts how I play because of crappy controls. I sold my psp and 3ds because I did not enjoy the controls, now that the vita has all these control options I feel I can finally game on the go comfortably (hopefully)!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
faridmon said:
The bias. Why not ask them as well if they have or will they get a 3DS? am I missing the something here?

What bias? He's just asking if smartphone owners also want a Vita. This thread has nothing to do with the 3DS AT ALL.

Labadal said:
Not really, I'm asking this in the gaming section, because in this very same section we have been getting doom and gloom threads. I wanted to know what these same people were going to do. Buy one, or not?

I honestly believe that if enough compelling software gets released, that people will pick one up sooner or later.
Well no, I meant GAF in general. The really interesting answers are out there, from people who are not that much connected to gaming like we are. But sure, it doesn't hurt here either :D.

@ topic
I will buy a Vita, but just because I'm an hardware whore. As far as software goes, the only thing that I'm looking forward to, is Minna no Golf. Why not Uncharted you may ask. I love Uncharted on console, but I have a really bad feeling about this one here. Can't explain my feelings about this really, but to me it feels like a random game with Uncharted skin which screams been there, done that at me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kinoki said:
I've got my iPhone 4 on me 24/7 and I'm buying a Vita day 1.

Currently I play Plants vs. Zombies, Game Dev Story and Bejeweled 2 on my iPhone when I don't have a book to keep me company on the subway to and from work.

Unfortunatly I think the Vita will end up like the PSP and don't fit my lifestyle very well. Meaning it'll get played whenever I get a game for it that I can't resist. But the Vita has some features that I felt the PSP was lacking like dual analogsticks and a touchscreen.

I'll buy it but I don't know how much I'll use it.

This is how I feel as well. I probably won't take the vita out of the house and probably won't use it after beating uncharted unless another compelling game comes out. The Vita doesn't have any other features to make me take it instead of my ipad to work with me.

I have an EVO that I play games on, but nothing can replace buttons, a d-pad and sticks.

At the same time though, that's something extra I need to carry with me. If I'm playing a game with my phone at work, to everyone else, I could be doing anything, job related texting, emailing, looking up work related materials (all which I really do as well). If I pull out a PSV at my desk, there is no doubt that I'm fucking off.

Outside of work, I really have no need for a portable gaming device and it would be risky to use one there. I do own a DSi and a PSP but they rarley get played and the phone is a big reason why.

When I'm at home, I'm either on a console (which I prefer over portable), working or with family. When I'm at work, I'm either working, stealth gaming or on Gaf. When I'm out and about, I'm either on a mission or with family.

For me it comes down to quality gaming VS a socialy acceptable device.

I will get one eventually but "will I have room for it in my life" is the question.

Kamille

I might eventually. I'm interested in the Uncharted game, but I have Uncharted 3 coming in a few months so I should be content for now. I don't do a LOT of handheld gaming, so it would be hard to justify the $250, especially when I just spent the same amount on a 3DS not that long ago.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone, btw. I pull it out to play a random puzzle game or a game of scrabble when I'm bored. Those are the only type of games I can see myself enjoying on a smartphone honestly.

kevinski

Banned
I'll buy whatever handheld ends up getting Castlevania games. If they both get the same games, then I'll probably get the Vita. I don't play many games on my smartphone, for the record.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ultima_5 said:
Why are we getting so many doom and gloom threads about handhelds?
Handhelds going 3rd party, confirmed.

Gassey

Banned
If it's got an App Store on price parity with Apple's then absolutely.

Looking forward to playing "hardcore" indie games with a real controller.

VanWinkle

I have a smartphone and a tablet, and I'm definitely getting a Vita. Phones/tablets do certain games very well, and I enjoy playing them on it, but most of the types of games I like really need buttons for me to fully enjoy (platformers, FPS, racing, etc.). I'm really excited for it.

Plus I'm a gadget nerd and that is one nice looking handheld, so I wouldn't be able to resist since it's at an accessible price.

Xena

I plan on getting the Vita for the tech in itself, but generally I wait until RPGs start popping up (reason I haven't gotten a 3DS). Also, the ability to play my already owned digital PSP and PSOne classics is also a super plus, as it is another device I can play in case the older one dies.

I have an iPhone 4, but it hasn't really got me into gaming on it yet. Things like the lazy port of FFTactics pretty much guarantees I won't be looking at my smartphone as a hardcore, "proper" gaming device in a while, or at least until they start doing that sort of thing.

Soroc

I own a smartphone but has nothing to do with why I would/wouldn't buy Vita

I won't be buying a Vita just like I didn't buy a PSP.

I hate the design and size and don't consider these pieces of hardware "on the go" gaming.

I'm fortunate Sony is banking on double selling games on PS3 and Vita, at least any games I might be interested in I could just buy and play on PS3.

Yes.

Phones don't have enough deep games with buttons I like to play. They'll get there in the end I'm sure, but Vita looks like a gamers dream.

Yoshiya

Maybe. I like the hardware, I I love the idea of a gorgeous portable Wipeout and Sound Shapes, but I already carry an iPad most days. My typical bus trip is ten minutes and my main mode of transport is my legs. I enjoy many iOS games, and as they're cheap I can sample across developers and genres to find games that really work for me. I don't know if it would be a wise decision to purchase what will likely be a $300+ AUD handheld with such expensive games. I bought S&S EP for $5 and Groove Coaster for $1. I really cannot imagine better portable games in either case.

Tobor

I sort of want one, but i'm not sure I can justify it. The software prices will be too high, and I'm getting what I want for less on iOS.

Maybe once it's been out for a while and Uncharted is on sale.

theBishop

Banned
Soroc said:
I'm fortunate Sony is banking on double selling games on PS3 and Vita, at least any games I might be interested in I could just buy and play on PS3.

That's an interesting point. Many of the best PSP games were later ported to PS2 or PS3. I wonder if this will prove to be short sighted.

Yoshiya said:
Maybe. I like the hardware, I I love the idea of a gorgeous portable Wipeout and Sound Shapes, but I already carry an iPad most days. My typical bus trip is ten minutes and my main mode of transport is my legs. I enjoy many iOS games, and as they're cheap I can sample across developers and genres to find games that really work for me. I don't know if it would be a wise decision to purchase what will likely be a $300+ AUD handheld with such expensive games. I bought S&S EP for $5 and Groove Coaster for $1. I really cannot imagine better portable games in either case.

Vita will be getting those smaller, cheaper games too. You can have your main meal, your desert and your snacks all on the same device. Thats why it appeals to me.

Top Bottom