• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Gustav

Banned
Yes. Own both an iPhone 4 and an iPad. Stopped playing on the iPhone a few months ago since I can't find any games that hold my interest longer than a few minutes. Also the iPhone is to small and has no buttons which is a major turnoff.

Yes and I also currently have a 3DS. I will play games on any platform (except that I really dont care for games on android or iOS, they just dont play right)

Labadal

Mailenstein said:
Probably the wrong place to ask this question.

Not really, I'm asking this in the gaming section, because in this very same section we have been getting doom and gloom threads. I wanted to know what these same people were going to do. Buy one, or not?

I honestly believe that if enough compelling software gets released, that people will pick one up sooner or later.

Clunker

Aeana said:
I'll get any hardware that has games I want to play on it.
That's crazy talk.

I'm a happy iPhone 4 gamer, and I desperately want a Vita but I'll be waiting for a price drop. I should have waited on the 3DS, but I got it virtually free as a present anyway.

To answer a few of the questions in the OP, no, a system without buttons isn't really suited for every single type of game (especially if it's a game that's been ported from a button-equipped system), but I also don't need each system to play every single kind of game. The app store has provided me with a ton of great puzzlers, casual arcade games, high score chasers, and more.

To be honest I don't do much mobile gaming as it is and any I do is catered for with my Android phone. So nope I have no plans to buy a Vita or any other portable gaming device. I would much rather put that money towards a new phone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lyphen said:
That seems a little strange - wanting to play emulated games but not ports, I mean.

It's not strange if you dislike most of the "AAA" games this gen.

onipex

Labadal said:
My question to people with smartphones and/or tablets is: Will you get a PlayStation Vita at $250 if enough compelling software is available at release?

I am already interested in some PSVita games: LBP, Modnation Racers, Ucharted: GA, Gravity Daze, Everybody's Golf and Dragon's Crown. Then we have Wipeout, Sound Snapes, and a couple of fighting games and whatever will be announced at TGS. I am guessing they will also allow us to play our PSOne classics.

As a comparison, I own zero actual 3DS games.

No, they all seem to be the same as the current PSP software and I wasn't a huge fan of those games. Maybe when the price on the hardware comes down, but right now it is not worth it. There are some Vita games I'm interested in just not enough.

Plus Vita comes out after Mario Kart and that game will have my attention forever or until the next Mario Kart. On top of that I will have enough classic, DSi Ware, and DS games to catch up on so it will be pointless buying another handheld when I will not touch it for some time. I made that mistake with the PSP.

Labadal

Clunker said:
That's crazy talk.

I'm a happy iPhone 4 gamer, and I desperately want a Vita but I'll be waiting for a price drop. I should have waited on the 3DS, but I got it virtually free as a present anyway.

To answer a few of the questions in the OP, no, a system without buttons isn't really suited for every single type of game (especially if it's a game that's been ported from a button-equipped system), but I also don't need each system to play every single kind of game. The app store has provided me with a ton of great puzzlers, casual arcade games, high score chasers, and more.

Fair enough. I can enjoy some of those games, and I guess many idevice owners are of the same opinion. I just need more for my personal gaming needs. (moslty play rpgs, trpgs and arpgs)

T-0800

I don't have a phone although I on occassion borrow my wife's. I did just buy an iPad 2.

Yes I will be buying a Vita.

Djin1979

I have an iphone 4 (and I play lot of games on it), I'll definitively buy a VITA, day one, to me they are totally different devices.

I think a better question should be,"You have a PS3, will u get a Vita?"

Orcastar

Galaxy S owner here. Most likely wont get the Vita at launch, but might eventually. Already own a 3DS.

Getting a Vita has nothing to do with smartphones though. To me, mobile phone games are still basically the same they were five or even ten years ago: light and quick games that you play while riding the bus/train or having a dump. Currently there is very little overlap between 3DS/Vita games and smatphone games and I just don't see that changing anytime soon, especially since touch screens are ill-suited for most game genres.

The only Android game I've found to worthwhile to play like a "normal" game was Game Dev Story, and even that was more due to addictive design than to the actual depth of gameplay or complexity.

SkylineRKR

I will absolutely get a Vita. I'm actually more of a sucker for the console worthy software on the handhelds. I loved BBS etc on regular PSP.

The mobiles won't deliver such an experience. I limit my smartphone gameplay to Angry Birds and some other minigames.

Chromax

Yes. Day one. I'm actually very happy with PSP's library of games, if PSV's is anywhere near it I would be a very happy man.

retroBrand said:
Not until there's a price drop, and Gran Turismo is released.

You know what types of games i can't stand on iOS: racing games. Ugh. Using your iPad as a steering wheel makes you look like the biggest douche on the planet, especially when you tilt your head to follow it. FTS.

Jas

I have an iPhone 4 and I'm interested.
Cell phone games are fun for strategy and puzzle games but that's about it, at least for me.
Anything with a virtual joystick I can't stand.
That action rpg, I think it's called Ruin? Caught my eye.
If I see a couple of more games like that I'll be in.

Ydahs

Me owning a smart phone will no way affect my decision to buy a handheld.

But will I buy a Vita? Well, it's not too appealing at the moment, so I'll wait a year or so after launch. That way I can buy it with a handful of great games for a cheaper price.

Depends if Vita will have decent games that aren't exactly the same types of games the PSP had.

I have an iPhone and am pretty happy to have short, downloadable HD games in my pocket, I'm not keen on pursuing a 3DS/VITA combo however like i did last gen with DS/PSP.
It's so expensive and now all i play is 3DS and iPhone.

Mission style play like MGS: Peace Walker was perfectly made for the portable but Monster Hunter was long and other portable games on PSP don't bode too well for playing on the train or bus. Too much loading times and not a mission structure killed the whole portable idea for me. With a smartphone and 3DS on the side, i think they are more suited to what i want from a gaming device on the go.

Uncharted on Vita is not the way to sell a portable, it's a game that should be exclusively be on console unless you can break it up into short playable chunks.

Dabanton

Depends on the content that the Vita is coming with. The type of games i like to play on the move are perfectly served by my iDevice.

Clunker

Labadal said:
Fair enough. I can enjoy some of those games, and I guess many idevice owners are of the same opinion. I just need more for my personal gaming needs. (moslty play rpgs, trpgs and arpgs)
I've never really been one of the Apple acolytes that thinks the iPhone and iPod Touch will destroy dedicated handheld devices, but I'm also more than happy to dig through the App Store and find an insane amount of really high-quality games. Most of them are definitely more pick-up-and-play, but those are also the kinds of games I gravitate to on consoles (shmups, puzzlers, and other short-form gaming like you see on XBLA or PSN).

In this respect I think Vita is going to try to tap into this market a bit with its own DD catalog, and I'm sure it'll be the premier handheld no-brainer for twin-stick shmups. :) And if Sony offers its own sort of sub-$5 app marketplace, I'm totally in if the games are good.

Yes, definitely but more for it's hardware and less for it's lineup - I want to play older games on the bigger OLED with the new control layout.

I think that when it all boils down, gamer or not, phone/tab owner or not, all that matters are the games. One game could came out and change everything - in Japan, I'd say it's Monster Hunter. Perhaps a game that has this kind of effect has yet to come out to western audiences on a handheld and maybe PSVita will get that shot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm planning on upgrading to the new iPhone, my current Windows phone (old one) kind of sucks.

That doesn't change the fact I have a Vita and Wipeout preordered though.

ascii42

I very rarely play games on my iPhone. When I do play games on it, none of those games are Uncharted. Therefore, I will get a Vita.

No, but not because I have an iphone. I don't need a vita because I have a ps3 (both a slim and a 60gb) and a kickass plasma tv. That combination is far superior to a vita.

nope

I don't like carrying shoulder bags and cases for my games. I like having something that fits into my jeans pocket

Xperia Play owner

Raonak

Banned
Yep, android user.

I'm definetly getting the vita.

I am just not too fond of touchscreen only games. plain and simple. I tried playing more complicated ones, but i got tired of trying to fool around with on-screen buttons and analog sticks.

I mainly play solitiare and unblock in between classes, and small games like that (fuck angry birds though. hate it.)

Until the Xperia play like devices take off, I'll be leaving most of my mobile gaming to handheld consoles.

Clunker

SuperSonic1305 said:
Smartphones are not for gaming. At the very best you use them to play minigames for 15 minute bursts to pass the time.
"Smartphones are not for gaming, except when you are playing video games on them."

Grinchy

Banned
I kind of want a Vita but it's a bit big for my tastes. I've tried running the OP in reverse, to ask myself if I'd want a smartphone based on game software that compelled me to buy one. As of now, I still have no interest in paying $80 per month just so I can look at my non-existent facebook page wherever I am. I don't care about having a smartphone. I've played games on my friends' smartphones, and IMO they fucking sucked.

I don't think I would ever buy a smartphone just for its games. I haven't spent a lot of time with one, and I haven't played all the games available, but to be honest I can't believe how willing people are to say that a smartphone is a replacement for a handheld gaming system (if one wants a handheld gaming system). It's just not the same thing at all. So as a non-smartphone owner, I would take a Vita way before a smartphone if I were looking for portable gaming.

I never owned a PSP, so there's a lot of content there already at launch (Assuming Sony doesn't pull the PSP marketplace) and the iPhone's games are distractions at best.

So, yeah, I see myself owning a Vita.

H_Prestige said:
No, but not because I have an iphone. I don't need a vita because I have a ps3 (both a slim and a 60gb) and a kickass plasma tv. That combination is far superior to a vita.

This.

I'd never play something like Uncharted or Wipeout on a handheld.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
You know what types of games i can't stand on iOS: racing games. Ugh. Using your iPad as a steering wheel makes you look like the biggest douche on the planet, especially when you tilt your head to follow it. FTS.
I'm with you. The first thing I say when I play those games is that I need a controller.

Honestly I feel we're the wrong group to ask this question. Ask a bunch of random people this question, people that don't consider themselves gamers, if they're still interested in traditional portable gaming.

I'm definitely getting a PS Vita, even if I have an Android phone. I don't care much about mobile games, rather have more console oriented games on the go.

REV 09

No, if I'm at home then I'll just game on a pc or console. If I'm away then I don't want to carry another device; don't want the anti-social stigma of gaming in public; and my phone has a few games but I'm more likely to just browse the web if I'm waiting somewhere.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
FIFA 12 with 2 analogue sticks and crispy graphics on a portable = Nirvana. Hopefully they don't delay the EU/PAL release.

daevv

Yes! I have a iPhone but to be able to play portable games with dual sticks and actual buttons will be awesome! Being able to get trophies on the go, and a new Hot Shots Golf has me sold. Glad it's not till 2012 too as I wont be spending as much money this fall as I thought.

I like my iPhone too much. And besides, by spending all that money on downloadable games it somehow feels like I've tied myself to Apple forever since I can't sell the games.

amar212

HTC Desire user. I have no one single game for the phone nor I ever even thought about any.

I will buy Vita day one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes. I almost never game on my phone.

As long as a device has content that i'm interested in using, then there is a fair chance that i will buy it. And this is the case with the Vita for example :)

Top Bottom