• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today i tried Windows 10 store for the first time...

It's by far the worst storefront I've ever seen. Just complete and total garbage. No chance I'm buying anything of them as it is now.

Phantom Dust is a great game to have on PC though.

ghostjoke

Banned
The store is made for distributing 500MB apps, not 50GB games. That thing chokes on itself.

As someone who just reinstalled Windows 10 clean and was forced to endure it repeatedly trying to reinstall Candy Crush Saga against my wishes, 500MB greatly overestimates the store's ability.

StereoVsn

This is why basically games from Windows store do not exist for me. I will play games from Steam, GoG, Origin, Battlenet and even Uplay, but Windows store is basically not even an option.

I got better things to do then troubleshoot Windows errors. I deal enough eith that shit during the day on the server and app side.

Blam

I remember the good ol' times when my windows store launched.

But that's my fault for breaking it I think I don't know. I haven't been able to update windows for months now.

Echoplx

No download limiter is a joke, it cripples my network every time I need to download something and games being 50GB+ just makes it worse.

Coolade

In my experience when the windows store starts crashing like that or when you try to launch apps, you need to run a windows refresh to fix the issues. It's my only recommendation if you really need the store to work.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I hope this is a troll post?

You've been living in a cave if you honestly think that.
Everything originating from Microsoft ala live/store has been and always will be a pile of shit for the most part. Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean there aren't a large number of people who experience otherwise.

I'll also applaud you for self delusion and lack of critical thinking when it comes to "works fine for me, downloaded 1 thing so it must be exaggerated".

I have downloaded KI on day 1, Modern Combat 5, Forza Apex, Halo 5 Forge, Forza Horizon 3 Demo, Phantom Dust, Forza 7 Demo, now Gears 4 trial. Zero problems on any of them. Had problems with tiny apps taking ages to self update, but just that.

I learned my lesson with GFWL. It ran like shit, it was super buggy, and then they shut it down and gave everyone who bought games there the finger.

I've bought digital games from a bunch of different services over the years, and Microsoft is the only one to just up and shut the thing down and deny me access to my games. The fact that they waited only a few years and started up another service like nothing happened is still utterly, mind-bogglingly, unfuckingbelievable. I'll try the Windows Store when they give me a free copy of Viva Pinata.

This.

GLAMr

They just don't have issues, good for them. However it felt like we're back in the 2000s again with this "mine works so it should work for everybody" mentality.
That's what I'm getting at.

We see this attitude all the time when a game is poorly optimised and has performance issues, and somebody comes in with "Well it works fine on my Core i7, 64gb RAM, NVMe storage and dual GTX 1080i cards. You must be doing something wrong."

I haven't used the Windows Store in ages, and am avoiding it until they fix it. I don't have anything against it, I just want to wait for the wrinkles to be ironed out.

Jawmuncher

I still haven’t been able download gears on pc. Internet isn’t fast enough before it decides to delete itself and start over

I still can't get my head around how MS can't get a simple thing like an online store, correct. They normally have really good servers for their online services, yet people are still having major issues downloading demos and games.

How has this not been fixed yet ?

Papacheeks

Banned
Though download speeds are not an issue, it's the installation it's doing in the background of unpacking these gigantic games that seem to have no compression.

Over 100gb for gears is ridiculous. And even checking on a games progress is a pain I the ass from the store. Then trying to have it come up in Xbox app is even worse.

People wonder why many me included shit on Xbox play-anywhere and Xbox in general.

It's shit experience like these that actually hurt the brand not strengthen it like they intended.

Hasney

Alot of these comments are exaggerating, and anything that has to do with a computer can be operator error..because the store works fine for me, forza demo downloaded and none of these problems.
Opinion pieces delivered as facts.

I literally posted every single step of the issue I had so total, 100% facts. And yes, it can be operator error, but it might be some software i use causing the issue, but for it to happen twice and require a full re-format to access the games I've bought and for it to happen to a huge chunk of people points to a bigger issue or incompatability that needs fixing. In the meantime, Steam, Origin, GOG, UPLAY and Battle.net work perfectly, so while I want to like the store ready for Sea of Thieves, I'm sure I'll cope without it.

I would highly recommend that people use the Windows Store with demos for at least 6 months prior to parting with any money, just in case.

horkrux

I learned my lesson with GFWL. It ran like shit, it was super buggy, and then they shut it down and gave everyone who bought games there the finger.

I've bought digital games from a bunch of different services over the years, and Microsoft is the only one to just up and shut the thing down and deny me access to my games. The fact that they waited only a few years and started up another service like nothing happened is still utterly, mind-bogglingly, unfuckingbelievable. I'll try the Windows Store when they give me a free copy of Viva Pinata.

so you're also getting this error or something similiar? (tbf I never bought anything there, so it wouldn't show anything either way)

gfwlgurqk.png

how did they even get away with this lol

"your purchases are gone btw lel"

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I literally posted every single step of the issue I had so total, 100% facts. And yes, it can be operator error, but it might be some software i use causing the issue, but for it to happen twice and require a full re-format to access the games I've bought and for it to happen to a huge chunk of people points to a bigger issue or incompatability that needs fixing. In the meantime, Steam, Origin, GOG, UPLAY and Battle.net work perfectly, so while I want to like the store ready for Sea of Thieves, I'm sure I'll cope without it.

I would highly recommend that people use the Windows Store with demos for at least 6 months prior to parting with any money, just in case.

There are ways to rebuild the defaut apps from fresh without re-format

They need a download cap option because it turns everything into a standstill even when updating small apps. I didn't have any issues downloading Forza 3, but man, coming from the largest software company in the world, idk how they didn't implement this yet.

I have some W10 games due to the some crossbuy titles, but never had issues downloading or starting the games. I know everything that isn't Steam (Uplay, Origin, MS Store, etc.) is inherently evil by default but I had no trouble with it at all, had a lot more issues with Valve's storefront.

watership

Download speeds are shit, to boot.

I don't get this complaint. Maybe i'm close to a datacentre or something, but I've never had or seen this problem in over a year on multiple PCs both mine, friends and families on many different connections. I've had great speeds on a crappy 10 down/1 up line. I recently upgraded my home internet, and the Windows Store kept pace.

5TjAFgrl.png

I've never had any windows store issues either. I don't like it very much, and I feel it's being mismanaged, but I don't think it's broken.

Durante

The good news is that I heard that Microsoft is really doubling down on their commitment to PC gaming this year. You guys won't believe what they have in store!
Yeah, I can't wait for Build.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I don't get this complaint. Maybe i'm close to a datacentre or something, but I've never had or seen this problem in over a year on multiple PCs both mine, friends and families on many different connections. I've had great speeds on a crappy 10 down/1 up line. I recently upgraded my home internet, and the Windows Store kept pace.

5TjAFgrl.png

I've never had any windows store issues either. I don't like it very much, and I feel it's being mismanaged, but I don't think it's broken.

Why don't you like it ? What do mean you mismanaged?

Ascheroth

In my experience when the windows store starts crashing like that or when you try to launch apps, you need to run a windows refresh to fix the issues. It's my only recommendation if you really need the store to work.
The fact that you potentially need to reinstall your OS to get a fucking a store working in insanity in itself.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
OK...don't get why we need to know or did you just wanna create a Windows 10 bashing thread?

Personally, I've never had any issues with the store. I have only really downloaded a few games like Halo, Forza, Recore through it and each time never had issue with download speeds. I know that people have issues with the store so I'm not making it out that it must mean everyone is lying or something. I don't know what's causing those issues for people but on my end there are no problems.

I haven't had any issues, other than downloads starting slow, but they seem to pick up pace after a while. Although I also thought Windows Vista was pretty great and everyone else hated it. I'm also a Linux (debian) user and I have no issues with that.

As much as I really enjoy the Xbox ecosystem, the WinStore is a steaming pile of shit. It boggles the mind that a software company with endless resources and army of highly intelligent engineers seemingly can't produce something that blows away other storefronts/launcher frontends. It really is laughably bad.

Rizific

I feel like Im the only person who hasnt Problems with it. It even uses my full internet speed like steam, xbox doesnt do this.. still its a very bad look for ms if so many people have problems, they should do better
Same with me. Downloaded forza 7 demo without a hitch and at 120 mb/s. Also have gears 4 and Fh3 that I never had any issues with. But it's clear that there are a ton of other people that have issues. Don't know whats going on.

Same with me. Downloaded forza 7 demo without a hitch and at 120 mb/s. Also have gears 4 and Fh3 that I never had any issues with. But it's clear that there are a ton of other people that have issues. Don't know whats going on.

A lot of people have slow downloads on PSN. Many on Xbox Live. Steam can also be pretty slow. Yet we don't get threads every other day about how those marketplaces suck. Servers, providers, IP settings, NAS, setups, a lot of factors decide on download speeds, doesn't mean the services are trash by default though.

PantsuJo

I was able to obtain Phantom Dust when it was free for a limited time.

The download stopped at 32%.

I still can't resume it: it literally hangs forever (after 17 hours of waiting withoud a new byte downloaded).

Never again.

Mr_Zombie

A lot of people have slow downloads on PSN. Many on Xbox Live. Steam can also be pretty slow. Yet we don't get threads every other day about how those marketplaces suck. Servers, providers, IP settings, NAS, setups, a lot of factors decide on download speeds, doesn't mean the services are trash by default though.

The problem with the Windows Store is that sometimes it restarts the download process for no reason. It happened to me with Killer Instinct - the Store restarted the download process at 90-something % three or four times before it managed to finally complete it. A lot of people had similar experience with other games here.

mebizzle

The windows store is so shit that I consider any of the play anywhere stuff that's on the store and the Xbox just an Xbox exclusive, the damn thing didn't even want to download KI or Phantom Dust on a clean install without giving me issues.

So many posts like these. You guys just love to shit on everything Microsoft. I’ve used the windows store and have had no issues. The forza 7 demo downloaded at 72mb/s. The whole experience was fine.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Too many screenshots with the Windows Store light theme in this thread. Dark Theme is superior.
(Windows Settings-Personalization-Colors-Choose your default app mode-Dark.)
So many posts like these. You guys just love to shit on everything Microsoft. I've used the windows store and have had no issues. The forza 7 demo downloaded at 72mb/s. The whole experience was fine.
It working fine for some people doesn't mean others don't have issues.

Had multiple problems in the past and just a few days ago

Had Gears 4 lose my DL progress if I closed the store or paused the DL

Forza Horizon 3 would straight up not DL at all (until I contacted support, got a refund, and bought it again)

And recently, the Forza 7 demo would DL for a few seconds and then stop. I was able to keep it going by pausing and resuming, but it’d always refuse to go past 251mb downloaded. Ended up reinstalling Windows entirely and it fixed the problem. I’m kinda grateful since it is nice to start from a clean slate every once in a while, lol

Arulan

The Windows Store isn't just another useless software platform that provides no feature benefits over its rivals, but is a cancer upon the (open) platform and promotes Microsoft's vision for it. As far as gaming is concerned, it would be one thing to just be another Uplay or Origin, where there is practically no incentive to use those clients save for the exclusives they dangle on the lure, but it's much worse.

For a software-dominant company, they can't even seem to bother to create a functional store either given the numerous reports of issues simply downloading software.

The store is made for distributing 500MB apps, not 50GB games. That thing chokes on itself.

It's kinda astonishing that a giant corp like MS still can't figure out the basic downloading part of their store. This is like N th iteration of the store, actually GFWL store back in the day was better with game download, pause/resume and general speed of the process... Windows Store has been around since 2012, how long they need for it to not fail at this very basic level? I wonder who they have working on it, they keep failing again and again. it's not rocket science... literally every other store/app is better like gog galaxy in its first iteration is already better...
The issues are usually not because of simple downloading.

The store is very tied to the platform, and they do try to do something extra like cloud compiling, inteligent asset delivery and streaming install.

That said, it's absolutely embarrassing that for so long these type of errors are common instead of very rare exceptions and how the store can get into a corrupted state where it's required a format even when the user did not intentionally changed anything.

(Which is specially bad since there's no longer any syncing of apps or settings)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ah, the good old "works on my machine!" excuse that Windows fanboys used to mock Linux users for.

Clean installing the OS every time you want to install an application is kinda self defeating. Still advice offered in this thread tho.

I still find it hilarious how Microsoft thinks they can charge more than anyone else for their PC games in their horrible mess of a store:

Meanwhile, in every other official digital channel:

Even Steam is overpriced, retail PC games are easily found at €45-50. Too bad MS isn't doing retail copies.

Cess007

But we do, like we get constant threads and complains about how the PSN speed sucks. And complaining about them is the right thing to do, we might get improvements or optimizations if we let this companies know.

But we do, like we get constant threads and complains about how the PSN speed sucks. And complaining about them is the right thing to do, we might get improvements or optimizations if we let this companies know.

I think opening up support tickets or posting on the support forum is more useful than a random rant on a gaming forum, but you're not wrong about making your voice heard if something is not properly functional. I work in IT and I constantly get software or hardware that doesn't immediately work properly but needs some tweaking, but I don't call those things pure trash or cancerous.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I've maxed out my internet connection on the windows store, it's really fast.

I've never had any problems myself with the store personally, although depending on your configuration it might change I guess. I own almost all play anywhere titles and they all download/run great, and just recently got the Forza 7 demo and it also worked perfectly fine.

Sorry to hear some people have issues with it.

oti

Banned
I couldn't download or update my purchases for something close to a year due to some bug.

I'm done with this store. I don't want to engage with it in any way, ever.

shpankey

not an idiot
Not my favorite, but haven't had any issues w/ it of note. Works as intended. A better design would be nice, but it isn't bad.

Top Bottom