• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today i tried Windows 10 store for the first time...

sibarraz

Banned
I have nothing to say against the actual speed downloads of the Microsoft store, since I always get better speeds there than steam. Still I understand that this could vary from case to case.

That being said, the Microsoft store is still hot trash, because.

1) For some reason games are way bigger than the ones released on steam, so my extra speed isn't worth anything.

2) The storefront is terribly curated, everything is mixed, an AAA game is next to a shitty cooking app.

3) It doesnt separate the Xbox live games with the other apps.

And also I can only buy with a credit card on my country

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have nothing to say against the actual speed downloads of the Microsoft store, since I always get better speeds there than steam. Still I understand that this could vary from case to case.

That being said, the Microsoft store is still hot trash, because.

1) For some reason games are way bigger than the ones released on steam, so my extra speed isn't worth anything.

2) The storefront is terribly curated, everything is mixed, an AAA game is next to a shitty cooking app.

3) It doesnt separate the Xbox live games with the other apps.

And also I can only buy with a credit card on my country

That's because WinStore downloads include all language data whereas Valve encourages developers to split language-specific data into language-specific depots so that you download only the files you need as determined by the language Steam is set to. Fortunately, Microsoft is in the process of catching up in that regard.

prag16

Banned
Weird. I've never had an issue; download speeds max out my broadband (25MB/s, yes megabytes with a capital B). Definitely not as user friendly as other stores though.

The thing that baffled me about the Gears of War 4 trial is that it requires 121GB of hard drive space. o_O

Trup1aya

It amazes me that the store could be so trash after all this time. It seems so simple...

It's also strange that it's performance varies so much from person to person. Whenever I've downloaded a game, I've had no issues. But I can talk to someone who used the exact same setup as me, and they have nightmare stories.

madjoki

I still find it hilarious how Microsoft thinks they can charge more than anyone else for their PC games in their horrible mess of a store:

Meanwhile, in every other official digital channel:

Even Steam is overpriced, retail PC games are easily found at €45-50. Too bad MS isn't doing retail copies.

It's because it comes with free xbox version.

I don't get this complaint. Maybe i'm close to a datacentre or something, but I've never had or seen this problem in over a year on multiple PCs both mine, friends and families on many different connections. I've had great speeds on a crappy 10 down/1 up line. I recently upgraded my home internet, and the Windows Store kept pace.

5TjAFgrl.png

I've never had any windows store issues either. I don't like it very much, and I feel it's being mismanaged, but I don't think it's broken.

I'll just say. i've tired plenty of services .steam , windows store , GFWL , origin , psn store and even the nintendo store on my wii .

Windows store is the slowest. i don't know why , but the nintendo store on my wii did a better job in term of speed

The windows store download are ridiculous for me . when it download fast , the download is corrupted , if it's not corrupted , it's extra slow.
To compare downloading on origin or steam , my downloads are always maxing my available bandwitch

there is a problem and it ain't my internet

I think opening up support tickets or posting on the support forum is more useful than a random rant on a gaming forum, but you're not wrong about making your voice heard if something is not properly functional. I work in IT and I constantly get software or hardware that doesn't immediately work properly but needs some tweaking, but I don't call those things pure trash or cancerous.
These is no tweaking with the Windows Store. There is no solving it’s problems. There’s no bargaining, or easy fixes, or even hard fixes.

There is just endless, never ending failure to operate as advertised.

Edit: so many poor defenses of the store in this thread or attacking the OP for posting.

Guess what nerds, policing what other people complain about won’t get you very far. Just move on.

diablogod

Windows 10 Store isn't even a suitable contender for Origin, uPlay or even the old shitty Desura client in terms of function and usability. (Yes Desura was better.)

Springy

Nothing has broken for me with the Win 10 store, but even without that my god is it a miserable looking application, painful to navigate and with a lousy catalog.

Like, how can a company like MS screw up simple shit like this so bad.

These is no tweaking with the Windows Store. There is no solving it’s problems. There’s no bargaining, or easy fixes, or even hard fixes.

There is just endless, never ending failure to operate as advertised.

Edit: so many poor defenses of the store in this thread or attacking the OP for posting.

Guess what nerds, policing what other people complain about won’t get you very far. Just move on.

Just pointing out that calling a service pure trash or cancerous because it doesn't work ideally on your system doesn't get you far, it'd be far more useful to let yourself heard on the many support pages/Twitter handles/forums. It works for most people so it's not broken for everyone, imho it'd be more useful looking for a solution or contacting support than trashing a product. But I use most consoles and services so I don't have a horse in this race, especially since PC is probably my 3rd or 4th system of choice atm so it doesn't get much usage.

The Win 10 Store just does not work half the time I try and use it. When it has worked, then it downloads in spurts (full connection usage down to 100kb/s for reasons I do not understand). I also have no control over its speed if I want to limit it, nor do you often know the extent of the download through a proper progress bar showing the full thing, it also downloads in the background without you knowing without even showing up normally in task manager. Games install patches by packing and unpacking the entire game usually meaning you need 2x the space of the game to have it actually install and update.

I say this, but at the same time it is the best. I love my All-In-One-Entertainment-Super-System-Windows10me.

The good news is that I heard that Microsoft is really doubling down on their commitment to PC gaming this year. You guys won't believe what they have in store!
waitaminu9yft.png

I tried to download Minecraft Windows 10 Edition for my nephew today, I get an error everytime I try to download an ad to his disappointment....

I can't get it to work.

Aselith

I learned my lesson with GFWL. It ran like shit, it was super buggy, and then they shut it down and gave everyone who bought games there the finger.

I've bought digital games from a bunch of different services over the years, and Microsoft is the only one to just up and shut the thing down and deny me access to my games. The fact that they waited only a few years and started up another service like nothing happened is still utterly, mind-bogglingly, unfuckingbelievable. I'll try the Windows Store when they give me a free copy of Viva Pinata.

The good news is that I heard that Microsoft is really doubling down on their commitment to PC gaming this year. You guys won't believe what they have in store!

Yeah no doubt. D2D went out of business and still found a way yo get people's games to them

I wanted to write something about it being not so bad but then I went into it and...

tf5c.png

¯_(ツ)_/¯

That's a blessing in disguise.

There's no clearer sign that everyone thinks it's shit when nobody is willing to make any apps for the store. This is Microsoft and Windows we're talking about! This store is preinstalled on millions and millions of PCs and nobody wants to release shit for it.

BraXzy

I had multiple failed attempts at downloading something if it had to be paused.

It took me FOREVER to realise to uninstall something from it, you have to do it through your Start menu or Programs list. If the Buy / Download / Install options are all available directly in the store, why isn't there an Uninstall button too?

Don't get me started on the actual layout/design of it first. It's an App Store first and your library second... Like just look at this. Every tab at the top is to a store front. Your own stuff is hidden in a drop down menu in the corner...

And then the actual list of your games is a complete afterthought. I guess you're supposed to purely use your start menu?

ss_lemonade

I'll just say. i've tired plenty of services .steam , windows store , GFWL , origin , psn store and even the nintendo store on my wii .

Windows store is the slowest. i don't know why , but the nintendo store on my wii did a better job in term of speed

The windows store download are ridiculous for me . when it download fast , the download is corrupted , if it's not corrupted , it's extra slow.
To compare downloading on origin or steam , my downloads are always maxing my available bandwitch

there is a problem and it ain't my internet

The only time the Windows store "looked" slow to me was when I was downloading a Gears of War 4 patch I believe. This was because Windows was making a duplicate copy of the entire Gears folder, which was something close to 100gb, in my harddrive at the same time, somehow masking it behind me downloading the patch and merging the total time to complete together which made no sense at all.

Eternia

I haven't had any problems but this is Windows. Infinite number of Hardware and Software variations, some amount of the userbase will have technical issues with anything that is released. Although, the store seems to have more than most things, or gamers are just a more vocal crowd.
But you absolutely hear it less on Steam/Uplay/Origin/GOG, at least with the specific kinds of issues that pop up on the Windows Store.

Just tried to download the Gears 4 trial. Well, zero problems. Downloading at full speed. Fix your Windows intallations/internet service, people ;)
No problems here

I swear some people just want to have problems, makes them look internet cool

i don't know why i do wrong, but i have no problem with all this shit
you do a fresh clean reinstall of windows 10 if your pc is broken

but i have issues with website crashed using Edge browser
glad i have 2 installed
Alot of these comments are exaggerating, and anything that has to do with a computer can be operator error..because the store works fine for me, forza demo downloaded and none of these problems.
Opinion pieces delivered as facts.
What have I just read? A bunch of people blaming the user rather than Microsoft and even calling them liars. Do you really think people have the time to fabricate experiences about mundane issues like having the Store download your content properly? I'm pretty sure people would rather try the games instead. Again, you hear similar issues as the OP on Microsoft's platform far more than any other service. If it stems from integrating it into the OS, I wonder who's fault is that? It's not like you can pick and choose OS updates anymore.

A lot of people have slow downloads on PSN. Many on Xbox Live. Steam can also be pretty slow. Yet we don't get threads every other day about how those marketplaces suck. Servers, providers, IP settings, NAS, setups, a lot of factors decide on download speeds, doesn't mean the services are trash by default though.
It isn't just about download speeds, it's a host of problems just trying the Store in the first place. Sometimes with games you already own! Symptoms of particular issues that have existed as early as when Quantum Break and Gears of War Ultimate Edition launched.

I have no idea why people are more concerned about Microsoft's image rather than having users get their issues that have existed for well over a year resolved.

Gren

I have no idea why people are more concerned about Microsoft's image rather than having users get their issues that have existed for well over a year resolved.
Sure you do. We all do. And it's one of the most insufferable things about discussing video games, MS-related or otherwise.

You're insane. That is a ridiculous statement.

I'm not , the download are extremely slow when i sucessfully get something . if they're fast it's corrupted.
i don't have those problem on other stores. it's my own experience and i have no motivation to try again the store to see if it's better.

Someone on some forom said it was because of my hard drive or something but i don't believe it since i don't have this problem on anything else.

So I tried to download the Forza Motorsport 7 demo today. LOL

It downloaded 1x, did not let me play it, and then proceeded to redownload it taking up nearly 2x the space it should have.

The Windows 10 Store is straight garbage.

madjoki

So I tried to download the Forza Motorsport 7 demo today. LOL

It downloaded 1x, did not let me play it, and then proceeded to redownload it taking up nearly 2x the space it should have.

The Windows 10 Store is straight garbage.

Well, I can't even try to download. Windows 10 as whole has become garbage. (Because I can't install 17.03 since it again breaks drivers and no fix has been made. Maybe next update works again.

Reported download speed from Windows Store is awesome tho. It downloads up to 50 MBytes/s with my ~50 Mbit connection. That's over 8x "magic".
I guess someone mistranslated bit as bytes.

And then the actual list of your games is a complete afterthought. I guess you're supposed to purely use your start menu?

Well, I mean, yes. It's not a content client like Steam. It's literally just a store. You're not meant to be going launching things from it.

MaLDo

I wanted to write something about it being not so bad but then I went into it and...

tf5c.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same error for me.

I don't know what I prefer because I can download Forza 7 demo without errors so maybe is best that the store update remains in error. Results if it's updated can be unpredictable. The handful of monkeys who program the store should be eating bananas this week.

DarkestHour

Banned
Never had a problem and downloads max my speed. See my post in the PC gaming thread and you'll realize why I probably never have issues.

This I will never understand. The ONE thing that can make them a killer amount of money (The Storefront) and they don't spend the resources on it.

spwolf

they fixed the store in preview builds for me, official ones did never work here, on multiple systems.

Now another issue is that there is no curation at all, there is mostly crap when it comes to apps.

Dot-N-Run

They don't need to fix it in any hurry. You have it installed anyhow. Anticompetition 101.

Mine has actually completely vanished from my PC, and I don't know why. Occasionally I'll get some strange error message relating to xbox or the store in the notification sidebar, but that's about it.

I've even tried to reinstall it in anticipation of Age of Empires, but despite trying a number of various solutions suggested on the MS help pages I still can't bring it back.

JWiLL

Banned
Bought and installed all 120gb of Gears 4. Have yet to play it, can't get it to launch.

Tried every potential fix online for those having the same issue (gears 4 splash screen pops up, then closes). Nothing worked. Tried downloading and reinstalling again. Still nothing.

A few hours and nearly 250gb of downloads and $50 wasted. Never using that store again.

It's the only bad experience I've had on PC; own over 100 games on Steam and 20 across Origin and UPlay. No issues anywhere else.

Par Score

The Windows Store is god-awful.

I got a free copy of Gears 4 that I've never played because after refusing to download for the longest time it finally did, and now it refuses to launch (exactly the same issue as JWiLL above, splash screen, gone, no error, nothing).

Wanted to try the Forza 7 demo and that was such a pain in the ass to download, eventually managed, then it kept failing to login to my account, which was separate to the Store for some reason, until it finally did.

It's just a disaster.

dr_rus

Same error for me.

I don't know what I prefer because I can download Forza 7 demo without errors so maybe is best that the store update remains in error. Results if it's updated can be unpredictable. The handful of monkeys who program the store should be eating bananas this week.

Well, it solved itself here around Sunday I think. I have a new one now though:

7t5c.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The windows store is a disaster. How MS thought this was good and could compete with other online stores is baffling. Im constantly getting problems with it. Luckily, i can just buy my games on xbox one and be done with it.

Top Bottom