• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm calling it. At E3 they want to talk about this game and it will be Skyrim HD Rumble Edition. It'll be its own special custom game just for the Switch. They'll want to make it a little more unique to sell it.

Todd Howard from the beginning has talked about how much he's loved the Switch and it was the best E3 demo he's ever played. I think he really wants to incorporate Switch features into Skyrim.

This is the first time Nintendo has really gotten a game from Bethesda and it's AAA. I think they both want to make the most of it.

I'm still with you on this one, Skittzo.

The way Bethesda has talked about Nintendo and Nintendo has talked about Bethesda over the past few months really makes me think Nintendo pushed hard for a partnership here, which could include paying for some exclusive features like Nintendo themed official mods in order to secure Skyrim (and potentially other Bethesda support) on the console.

Samus dragonborn vs. Ridley dragon is by far my biggest hope.

This may have some of the enhancements of the special edition but I think it will be called the Nintendo edition with all of this exclusive stuff, which is why Todd Howard has to be tight lipped about it until it's shown off fully at E3.

mario_O

It's probably custom. Maybe some better texturing with some improved lighting. Whatever gameplay features they can build in.

If they were working on a custom, special, edition he would've said so. " "We are doing somehing special for the Switch", it hypes people.

Maybe they're still experimenting with the hardware and don't even know what they'll do yet.

The way Bethesda has talked about Nintendo and Nintendo has talked about Bethesda over the past few months really makes me think Nintendo pushed hard for a partnership here, which could include paying for some exclusive features like Nintendo themed official mods in order to secure Skyrim (and potentially other Bethesda support) on the console.

This may have some of the enhancements of the special edition but I think it will be called the Nintendo edition with all of this exclusive stuff, which is why Todd Howard has to be tight lipped about it until it's shown off fully at E3.
It'd be a complete missed opportunity for there to be no collaboration of any kind between the two for this game.

If they were working on a custom, special, edition he would've said so. " "We are doing somehing special for the Switch", it hypes people.

Maybe they're still experimenting with the hardware and don't even know what they'll do yet.
He doesn't have to say it. He can say it at E3 and guess what people will be hyped then.

Hyped now or hyped in 3 months is no difference, except the hype will be greater when it's mixed in at a bigger event like E3. The game isn't coming until Fall.

mario_O

He doesn't have to say it. He can say it at E3 and guess what people will be hyped then.

Hyped now or hyped in 3 months is no difference, except the hype will be greater when it's mixed in at a bigger event like E3. The game isn't coming until Fall.

wait for e3? c'mon man, nobody is waiting for skyrim news at this moment. he can start the hype right now lol

nynt9

It's probably neither. Not the full on remaster, but with some of the bells and whistles. And probably some extra gimmicks exclusive to Nintendo and the switch.

wait for e3? c'mon man, nobody is waiting for skyrim news at this moment. he can start the hype right now lol
I know how Nintendo works. One of the most tight lipped companies and it will be passed on to Bethesda. E3 is when they'll wait to announce it.

I'm calling it. At E3 they want to talk about this game and it will be Skyrim HD Rumble Edition. It'll be its own special custom game just for the Switch. They'll want to make it a little more unique to sell it.

Todd Howard from the beginning has talked about how much he's loved the Switch and it was the best E3 demo he's ever played. I think he really wants to incorporate Switch features into Skyrim.

This is the first time Nintendo has really gotten a game from Bethesda and it's AAA. I think they both want to make the most of it.

I believe it will be something along those lines.

BuggyMike

I could see that. They're being oddly coy about what they're calling this version, but the trailer they showed clearly looks like SE. I guess they wanna expound on this version later on (likely at e3) as Nintendo usually reveals information in increments. Would be cool if they gave it HD rumble support.

I'm telling you, it'll be the Special Nintendo Edition with all sorts of Nintendo themed mods and HD rumble support, possibly optional motion controls.

Book it.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm thinking too. Skyrim is a reliably profitable franchise, and Nintendo is all about making licensing deals with third party partners lately. Plus, Howard keeps talking about what a great "partner" Nintendo has been with Bethesda lately. I would bet this is why he can't confirm if it's the original Skyrim or the special edition. It's neither one.

We're going to see Zelda content, probably a special Epona horse and Master Sword, Hero's Tunic and other extras. I'm positive.

mario_O

I'm telling you, it'll be the Special Nintendo Edition with all sorts of Nintendo themed mods and HD rumble support, possibly optional motion controls.

Book it.

Welp, maybe it will take Nintendo's hardware to make Skyrim's combat fun. :p Not counting on it though.

Ooccoo

It just works

On a more serious note, maybe he doesn't want to tell because it's the vanilla version without any enhancements and it would create a huge backlash.

That means its the original/vanilla version (with Switch "enhancements"). Marketing 101. You can bet if the Switch build was based on the Enhanced engine they'd be trumpeting it from a mountain top.

That means its the original/vanilla version (with Switch "enhancements"). Marketing 101. You can bet if the Switch build was based on the Enhanced engine they'd be trumpeting it from a mountain top.

That's how I feel as well. The fact that there is any doubt whatsoever means that something's up.

The question is whether we'll hear about it on Bethesda Sunday or Nintendo Tuesday, but yes, I don't expect to hear more about this game until E3.

This is Bethesda's first big splash in the Nintendo market and they have a strong incentive to do it right; it isn't like they've farmed this out to a porting firm like Tantalus just to satisfy a contract, as was the case with some early Wii U releases. They practically have western AAA on the platform to themselves this year, even if it's with an older game, and they also have an incentive to sell the game as a worthwhile double-dip to an audience that is very saturated and well aware that the original game is usually on Steam for $5. (On the other hand, you never know what the base popularity of the game might do by itself, the way that Minecraft or GTA V winds up high on the charts of every single platform that hosts it.)

We will at least see interface refinements like motion control, which, combined with the portability of the Switch, may matter more than performance parity with the PS4/X1. Obviously we would all prefer it if the Switch edition has the remaster as a baseline, but the kind of people principally looking for performance parity, with the Switch docked at home on their TVs, probably aren't in the market for a full-priced double dip in any case.

Even as a 2011 game, going by its sales history, Skyrim is the most evergreen, multi-generational, double-dippable third-party title Nintendo could have scored other than Minecraft (which is coming) and GTA V (which is further away from the established habits of the Nintendo crowd). The only thing bigger they could have landed was Overwatch. I know it bucks the trend of third-party presence on Nintendo, but this isn't going to be phoned in.

What if all the enhanced effects go away once you undock it?

Would it be the enhanced edition or standard? Portable-only players certainly wouldn't have what could be considered and enhanced version in this scenario... but docked players would have...

EDarkness

I think this is what is going on. They're going to add some stuff to it so the game won't be vanilla Skyrim: Special Edition. It'll be something else. Nothing wrong with that and probably why it was pushed back in the first place. If they add in pointer aiming and HD rumble, I'll actually pick it up.

Well this pretty much means what they showed isn't representative at all. They showed SE footage but then we have this later. Clearly what we saw wasn't for Switch.

This is one of those cases that I feel it's absolutely stupid as hell to hide what development plans are. It just doesn't make any sense to have NDAs on this sort of thing when it isn't going to hurt sales nor get it's ideas stolen. The entire reveal and talk of this port rubs me the wrong way.

If this port has motion controls, the higher the fps the better. So it would make kind of sense to have something more akin to the OG Skyrim at 60fps rather than the special edition at 30.

haimon

It's wierd to me that people keep saying g it's a handheld when minty have been stressing it's a home console.

As for the topic at hand, it's gonna be the same as unprecedented support. It's gonna have fans in a tizzy talking about how this is the new minty and intends up being a few games that few people buy and most people complain about them being substandard ports.

Aquova

These are the same people who refused to officially announce the game, even though it had been shown in the trailer. I expect it is the Special Edition, but Bethesda is being tight lipped for no good reason.

killatopak

Can't say means it'd just the original and patched so no bugs.

If this port has motion controls, the higher the fps the better. So it would make kind of sense to have something more akin to the OG Skyrim at 60fps rather than the special edition at 30.

Hahahhahahah

Realistically from what we know about the Switch, does anyone think it could even do some of the features present in the enhanced edition? The game already doesn't run that great on PS4.

icam_17

hqdefault.jpg

This is incredible. Day 1 for me.

killatopak

Explain how it's wrong to assert higher FPS isn't more important for better motion control gameplay.

No, I assert that it cannot do 60fps.

Better textures, lod and basically og stuff on ultra settings yes but 60fps? lmao

They could but it would be ps3 tier quality.

Now tell me which one do bethesda prioritize?

One MIGHT think they're being dodgy in deference to the other versions available. Or because of NDAs. Or because it's getting the original version. Whatever. The sooner they're forthright about the Switch version, the better.

EDarkness

Realistically from what we know about the Switch, does anyone think it could even do some of the features present in the enhanced edition? The game already doesn't run that great on PS4.

Yeah. It should be able to run the game with most of the features present at 30fps. From what they've shown it's definitely the Special Edition, but the real question is what else are they doing to it? This is probably why they're not talking about it. The goal will be to get people to triple dip so my guess is that they're working to do something "special" with it. This would mean that it's not really the Special Edition, but something else entirely. I imagine they want to push this being the most unique way to play the game.

Of course, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they're comments so far have been extremely positive of Nintendo and the NS. Let's see what they're going to do before we start getting all hot and bothered. Since it's their first game on Nintendo hardware, we don't have any idea for how they're going to approach this.

One MIGHT think they're being dodgy in deference to the other versions available. Or because of NDAs. Or because it's getting the original version. Whatever. The sooner they're forthright about the Switch version, the better.

What difference does it make if we know today or E3?...the game doesn't release until fall and I doubt anybody's Switch purchase is hinging on Skyrim lol

It's back to "Omg Nintendo you're so stupid for not revealing the NX at E3 2016!!"

Takat

I'm assuming this could be a motion controller version with enhancements.

Also, didn't the SE just came out? Maybe he doesn't want to cannibalize sales.

Top Bottom