• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Chao

Didn't back it - I deserve a punishment I know- but considering buying all versions of the game because to show my support because I love Toejam and Earl so much.

Chao

Man, i miss the hand drawn animations

The mannequin movements are really off putting for me, i hope they can find a way to improve them before release

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks like it will be satisfyingly challenging. I can't wait.

Really? I'm not digging the camera angle. I feel like it is too low and has too much field of view which makes the vision too high so you can see anything coming from a mile away. Especially anything higher than you.

Ixion

I loved both Toejam & Earl 1 and 2, but I never beat either of them because they were so hard. I wouldn't mind if this one was a little easier, or better yet, doesn't have a finite number of lives.

But it looks like the finite lives are back, so I probably won't finish this one either. lol

Camjo-Z

New update featuring a recap of the team's PAX escapades and a life-sized Earl. Some music included as well, I think "Lamont's Funky Brain" is a previously unheard tune.

Can't wait for this. Backed it and just looking forward to getting it and another copy when its released for my mum as she was mad on it.

I am very sad that it never reached the console reward backing as I want to play on my consoles as well.

I loved both Toejam & Earl 1 and 2, but I never beat either of them because they were so hard. I wouldn't mind if this one was a little easier, or better yet, doesn't have a finite number of lives.

But it looks like the finite lives are back, so I probably won't finish this one either. lol

Maybe there's a cheat code for you yet.
I hope they keep it challenging. If it's too easy, it won't be memorable like the other two.

Het_Nkik

When's the last time you played 'em? I couldn't beat the first game when I was little but my friend and I replayed it last year (it was his first time playing it) and we beat it no problem.

The second game has always been pretty easy since I could beat that one even back when I was young.

Camjo-Z

Can't wait for this. Backed it and just looking forward to getting it and another copy when its released for my mum as she was mad on it.

I am very sad that it never reached the console reward backing as I want to play on my consoles as well.

Actually, it is coming to consoles since they've partnered with Adult Swim.

Ixion

When's the last time you played 'em? I couldn't beat the first game when I was little but my friend and I replayed it last year (it was his first time playing it) and we beat it no problem.

The second game has always been pretty easy since I could beat that one even back when I was young.

The last time I tried to seriously beat them was last year. I find the first game hard because Toejam and Earl move so slow compared to the enemies. It's hard to avoid the enemies unless you're really lucky and strategic with your items. But perhaps I've been doing something wrong. I also never really play the game alone, so I have to worry about my partner.

And the second game I suppose wasn't TOO hard, but rather it just gets kind of annoying since it's mandatory to fight every single enemy and they increase in number as the game goes on. I get tired of constantly throwing jars around. I've never wanted to play more than 8 or 9 levels, but I've played those early levels so many times. Same with the first game.

Camjo-Z

New update y'all!

• The game will likely be released mid-2017. Still no word on exactly which platforms.

• There will be announcements about the soundtrack release soon. The physical versions will have a bonus surprise pack-in as well.

• The intro sequence is being completed, and will be voiced by TJ&E's VAs from the Kickstarter pitch videos.

438b6e3cf748d2624768d7a1eb7cfa5e.png

Also included in the update are an EXTREMELY funky new song for dark levels and a special code to download the first issue of the recently Kickstarted Mega Visions magazine containing a huge TJ&E interview (which is great and I highly recommend you subscribe.)

Camjo-Z

Update #54!

• Though the music was supposed to be finished a while ago, Greg came up with yet another song titled "Le Funky Duck"!

• Art for both the vinyl and CD releases of the soundtrack is completed, and they're still aiming to release the music before the actual game comes out.

ofbOlP8.jpg

• They're currently working to get a beta release ready for applicable backers to play. No specific date but "it's not too far off".

• Various special difficulty modes are being implemented, such as a Super Hard mode and a Toddler mode that makes one player invincible and gives them a crown to wear.

• They're working with an "ultra-good" networking and porting group, which bodes well for the console versions and online play.

I'm excited about the difficulty modes. Pleases those who said it was too hard, and gives an even greater challenge for those who don't think it's hard enough.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm excited about the difficulty modes. Pleases those who said it was too hard, and gives an even greater challenge for those who don't think it's hard enough.

Yeah. It's funny how the difficulty can sneak up on you in TJ&E1, you can go from cakewalking 75% of the game to all of a sudden getting dogpiled by enemies and opening consecutive Total Bummers. I'm all for different modes in procedurally generated roguelikes.

Camjo-Z

Also, Greg confirmed that any backers who wanted console versions will be able to switch their pledge to those if they choose. Great news for me since I'm not much of a PC gamer.

So, an update on this from the comments of the most recent article, Greg said that they tried to make this happen but it would be cost-prohibitive.

We never managed to hit our console stretch goals on Kick Starter. Even so, we had talked with Adult Swim about this and we all still hoped to be able to allow backers to swap for console versions. It turns out that all of the platform holders (like Nintendo) need to get paid regardless for every unit, so swaps to console actually cost money for the publisher and start the project in the red. Recently the folks at Adult Swim did the math, and discovered that with the number of backers that we have it's just not feasible. I'm sorry about that guys. We and A.S. would have loved to make that possible our backers. We would if we could.

Disappointing, but it is what it is. At least I'll be able to sell off my 2 extra PC keys to help pay for a console version.

Camjo-Z

New update:

• The early access build has been canceled due to needing to be pushed back for bug fixes so much that eventually there was no need for early access feedback anymore. Instead, all backers will get the game when reviewers do, about a week before the official launch (which will be sometime in Fall 2017).

• The music CDs are being manufactured now and will be ready in about two months. The digital soundtracks will be sent out at the same time, and people who pledged for the special collector's box will get their CDs before they receive the box to avoid having to wait for the game to be complete.

• IndieBox will be setting up a store for TJ&E merch soon if you missed out on the Kickstarter rewards.

• Physical console copies aren't confirmed but are looking likely.

Yeah I mean I loved everything I heard. Quality over quantity, but support from publishers and consoles with a mostly bugless if not bug free release is just yeah a priority for me over timeliness (of all series considering).

It's Toejam and Earl 3.

Blues1990

New update:

• The early access build has been canceled due to needing to be pushed back for bug fixes so much that eventually there was no need for early access feedback anymore. Instead, all backers will get the game when reviewers do, about a week before the official launch (which will be sometime in Fall 2017).

• The music CDs are being manufactured now and will be ready in about two months. The digital soundtracks will be sent out at the same time, and people who pledged for the special collector's box will get their CDs before they receive the box to avoid having to wait for the game to be complete.

• IndieBox will be setting up a store for TJ&E merch soon if you missed out on the Kickstarter rewards.

Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to purchase the vinyl album & getting the game for the Nintendo Switch. Game is lookin' fun as funk, man.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah I mean I loved everything I heard. Quality over quantity, but support from publishers and consoles with a mostly bugless if not bug free release is just yeah a priority for me over timeliness (of all series considering).

It's Toejam and Earl 3.

technically, it's... you know what, sure, let's call it TJ&E3.

It really is, Nintendo would be fools not to promote this. Is there any game more perfect for the "2-player co-op anywhere with Joy-Cons" feature than Toejam & Earl?

Nintendo hates money and would rather try to shove ARMZ down everyone's throat.

Klart

New update:

Great news!

I convinced a friend of mine who had an Xbox to get TJ&E 3 and he was pissed at me.

Anyway, I'm happy I'll be able to buy more things soon. I don't remember what my tier included but I'll get the vinyl if it didn't. I'll probably pick up a few more things too.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, that gameplay trailer was amazing. 4 player co-op looks a little hectic what with the sound effects and all but 2 player will be legit. The art style is growing on me but it does seem like the player avatars are bigger than they were in TJ+E1 which might make the levels seem smaller, but as long as they can scale bigger than what was shown I'm down.

I'm also gonna have to get used to the full voice acting, there was a lot of charm in their 16-bit versions only making sound effects and short catchphrases.

Anything you can share for people that didn't back? Not able to see the updates.

4 and a half minute gameplay trailer showing multiple levels starting at level 1. A list of all enemies (spoilers?) that will be included in the game manual. Hyperfunk zone, elevator transitions, screen split/rejoining, new meta elements like getting perks and stat bonuses when you find ship parts or level up to a new rank. Achievements, some new music samples. A promo video from the intro that aired on Adult Swim and a clip of the credits where you can fly around and find backer names. Super High-Tops.

And when the game starts, it starts instantly, no load screen. (Just like TJ&E1)

Top Bottom