• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

red720

That's a pretty steep goal for a cult video game.
I really want to back it, but I'll wait and see how quickly they rack up funds first.

Why? Backing doesn't cost you anything if the kickstarter does not meet it's funding goal.

High goals are better IMHO. The are more realistic and you are less likely to get the situation where the kickstarter is sucessful but they don't have the funds to deliver on promises. I think too many Kickstarters have a low goal to guantee funding even though the cost of producing a game will me much higher than their estimate, I also think stretch goals often lead to feature creep which has killed many many software projects over the years.

That's a pretty steep goal for a cult video game.
I really want to back it, but I'll wait and see how quickly they rack up funds first.
Well if Project NightCry can be funded in the most erratic way I've seen for a video game KS, then so can this. Plenty of older gamers have money and will be delighted to see a new game in the vein of that childhood Rogue-like that had a funky look and feel.

Camjo-Z

My body is READY

Those vinyl figures at the $150 tier are so tempting... but I'll just stick to the $25 tier for now and maybe go higher later.

XNarte

I never understood why they had to add more clothing to each other them in 3 and here. Simple designs from 1 and 2 were the best.

Not a deal breaker, but just a personal preference. It reminds me of the modern Crash Bandicoot with tattoos and stuff.

Loving it. I agree with the 2D comment. I actually think it's the style/art of the 3D design itself which is jarring and not the 3D world.

Yeah, I agree. Something about the way the edges of the ground look jarring against the sprites. On further inspection though, the texture work looks consistent with the characters. The game looks like a very rough prototype, for sure. Especially with the way all the game world pieces are universally square/rectangular. I hope they would start mixing in numerous different shapes to give the levels more variety and more of an organic look.

Well, the first thing to note is that this is destined to get funded on name alone. As soon as the press shines light on this those pledges are going to rocket. The second thing that comes to mind is that are they showing this too early? Those screenshots look very experimental prototype stage as opposed to finished form. I was a massive fan of TJE2 on the Megadrive (which TBH is where most of the fans of the series come from) and not so much TJE1.

I would have preferred a successor to that in the same style. Honestly I feel like they're drawing inspiration from the wrong game here. He is the original creator so he would know best but TJE is predominantly famous for the second game and not really the first. The second game is the game people remember and love. That said I wish them all the best. Hope that the game and the art improves considerably over the course of development. Just feel like the game should look better than this.

Showed the game too early IMO. TJE2 looks miles better than this and that game was eons ago and on ancient hardware.

I've honestly never heard that. I want to give TJ&E2 another go, but the first game, with its randomized world, rougelike elements, and weird style, is where I fell in love with the series.

I'm going to piss in the cereals here and say that I sure hope it adds something new over the old one. The gameplay of the original is boring, repetitive and all over ...pretty damn bad. The "poof, now there's a path here!" parts are beyond terrible. The items are fun, though.

daydream

Banned
The art style is.. interesting. Best I can say about it at the moment.

Hope this game will be JAMMIN' by the time it comes out.

goldenpp72

Well, the first thing to note is that this is destined to get funded on name alone. As soon as the press shines light on this those pledges are going to rocket. The second thing that comes to mind is that are they showing this too early? Those screenshots look very experimental prototype stage as opposed to finished form. I was a massive fan of TJE2 on the Megadrive (which TBH is where most of the fans of the series come from) and not so much TJE1.

I would have preferred a successor to that in the same style. Honestly I feel like they're drawing inspiration from the wrong game here. He is the original creator so he would know best but TJE is predominantly famous for the second game and not really the first. The second game is the game people remember and love. That said I wish them all the best. Hope that the game and the art improves considerably over the course of development. Just feel like the game should look better than this.

Showed the game too early IMO. TJE2 looks miles better than this and that game was eons ago and on ancient hardware.

I don't think almost any current fans of the series consider the sequel to be the defining game, I say this because I really like that game and probably also consider it a bit better than the first, and that opinion is very rarely met with positive news. I think a lot of people take personal issue with 2 well beyond it's actual quality as a game, but in general the original game seems to be where the cult fans reside.

dlauv

It looks ugly in the shots, but I think it looks much better in motion in the video. It looks like a moving comic diorama. I like how the level beneath the player is visible too. I think it would lose some of the majesty and impact of the spacial differentiation if it went full 2d. Perhaps it should be shaded better.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Not too sure about the art style but I'll keep an eye on it as I like the series a lot (even the third one). Also that was the best impression of Mel Gibson doing a Scottish accent that I've ever heard. The other video is good too.

I'm going to piss in the cereals here and say that I sure hope it adds something new over the old one. The gameplay of the original is boring, repetitive and all over ...pretty damn bad. The "poof, now there's a path here!" parts are beyond terrible. The items are fun, though.

Damn sure disagree with the bolded, but I, too, hope that they come up with something new and interesting to add in to the mix. I don't just want the same old thing again.

ThaPhantom

Would totally fund this if it was like TJ&E2. Was never a huge fan of the original but the platformer is one of my favorite games of all time.

Would totally fund this if it was like TJ&E2. Was never a huge fan of the original but the platformer is one of my favorite games of all time.

Both amazing games in their own way.

Excited for this, going to back it. Hopefully if successful we will se a Reboot of the second one

Cult series, for some reason, tend to have super loyal fans who are willing to spend money to get what they want. Zero doubt in my mind that this will get backed and I say this as someone who hasn't even played the Toejam & Earl Games.

I can understand that. I donated $300 to Hover just because Hideki Naganuma was on board for the soundtrack.

Why? Backing doesn't cost you anything if the kickstarter does not meet it's funding goal.

High goals are better IMHO. The are more realistic and you are less likely to get the situation where the kickstarter is sucessful but they don't have the funds to deliver on promises. I think too many Kickstarters have a low goal to guantee funding even though the cost of producing a game will me much higher than their estimate, I also think stretch goals often lead to feature creep which has killed many many software projects over the years.

It doesn't cost anything, but I'd rather not bother until they announce stretch goals. I never really considered how many projects probably start off with a low goal just to get funded, though.

Well if Project NightCry can be funded in the most erratic way I've seen for a video game KS, then so can this. Plenty of older gamers have money and will be delighted to see a new game in the vein of that childhood Rogue-like that had a funky look and feel.

What was erratic about it? I didn't hear about it until well after it was funded.

robotrock

Banned
Oh damn, it's actually happening. Hoping for the best.

Watching the kickstarter vids and it looks like it could be great.

This coming out of nowhere was such a bad move on their part. Momentum is everything with Kickstarters & one of the best ways to start off with good momentum is by hyping the Kickstarter for weeks in advance. You want all your diehard fans to jump on the Kickstarter as soon as it goes up so that it looks like you're really successful which in turn will encourage new people to jump in.

It's like a game launch. Stealth launches almost always go badly.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen so many TJ&E2 fans in one place before. It's like a reservation.

Indeed.

I mean I liked TJ&E2. But I remember being disappointed twenty odd years ago when it launched and wasn't in the style of the first.

I want it so badly, and I had hear mild rumblings but it's still out of nowhere... which might hurt it.

My friend and I have a lot of good memories of Toejam & Earl.

This coming out of nowhere was such a bad move on their part. Momentum is everything with Kickstarters & one of the best ways to start off with good momentum is by hyping the Kickstarter for weeks in advance. You want all your diehard fans to jump on the Kickstarter as soon as it goes up so that it looks like you're really successful which in turn will encourage new people to jump in.

It's like a game launch. Stealth launches almost always go badly.

Yep, also really doesn't help also that they are under the games category. Anyone who searches the video game category won't be able to see their project.

Terra_Ex

I'm not sold on the art style but the original game was so much fun in multiplayer back in the day, I'll have to keep an eye on this.

mattp

I don't think I've ever seen so many TJ&E2 fans in one place before. It's like a reservation.

i don't believe they're real people

also why the hell is kickstarter declining my card? i want to give these guys my money!

I mean, I loved Toejam & Earl... But that initial video is doing absolutely nothing for me. I don't know whether it was his awful voice putting me off, or the really rubbish looking environments (yes, it's early, I know), but they could have taken a little more time to get something a bit more professional looking before launching this.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Like the artstyle, environment looks bland but it's a very early prototype so that could obviously change. I'm pretty much in either way though. Tell me you're making a new Toejam and Earl and you at least have my attention.

I get if you liked two, but you're just making up facts here and projecting your own opinion onto the general public. What do you have to back your claims that the second game is the reason the series is popular, aside from a poorer critical reception and the future games not focusing on any of the same elements?

The art's disappointing (somewhat predictably so, going by the concept art from a few weeks back and Doki Doki Universe), but the improvements they plan to add sound decent enough. I have a principle to never back Kickstarters, but it's nice to see they're going through with this.

and where are the bootsy collins/george clinton stretch goals

Dragmire

Backed. I'll let them get further in development before I judge the art style of the game. It seems to have the wackiness I loved in the first game.

Backed. Looking forward to this. First kickstarter I ever backed, if they come close to how creative and crazy the original one was it's worth every penny.

GooeyHeat

Honestly I really love the look of the 2D art, so I hope the environments get touched up a bit to compensate. Perhaps cel-shading would help a bit; having realistic lighting and shadows while everything is flat and the trees are bouncing left and right to the music feels a bit incongruous.

Definitely going to back, though.

God, that character artwork is GORGEOUS.

And I love the atmosphere in this screenshot.

uKob.jpg

I wish I had the money to back this. It looks beautiful, fun, and unique.

Top Bottom