• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu City & Dungeon Gameplay videos

First impressions of the game from dengekionline.com(JP):

A short summary:
- Improved the engine from Sen no Kiseki II with improved polygon quality. Better material rendering and hair.
- The quizzes in the classroom appears once again
- Character parameters (bravery and benevolence)
- Towa-sempai rejoins the fray!
- Seemingly responsive controls
- The attribute system favors character switching
- Game flow is: Prologue → Free Time → Chapter Start→ Fight in the other world/Dungeon crawler time → Boss fight → Chapter End and repeat. Will be very familiar for those who have played Sen no Kiseki I (or any Trails game for that matter).
- Galge clichees like the female childhood friend and more
- Kizuna Episode = Forming bonds (Social Links), you get it

Some more in the link, but those should be enough for most people.

Sounds awesome!

I'm not sold on the randomized dungeons but everything else sounds great!

Yeah it sounds great, am sure we can expect a fantastic soundtrack once again :)

There's things in this world we just shouldn't doubt.

Falcom sure is all about party character switching in action rpgs these days.

Looks cool, but I kinda miss the days of a Falcom one man/one woman army.

E28Fi40.png

"I got this, yall chill back at the school."

"But the attribute system means that..."

E28Fi40.png

"I said 'I got it'."

Terrible? Sheesh. You'd think you were playing Castle Shikigami 2 or something.

Don't try reasoning with WD haters. It just ain't happening.

It looks great, but gameplay looks a little too much like YS Oath, i hope it doesn't require the same grinding.

It doesn't look like Oath at all to me. I'd be a lot more interested if it had the amazing and fast paced combat that Oath in Felghana had.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It doesn't look like Oath at all to me. I'd be a lot more interested if it had the amazing and fast paced combat that Oath in Felghana had.
Ys Oath didnt require grinding at all. And this seems more like Seven/Celceta gameplay if we had to compare.

Maybe i played YS Oath wrong but i was always able to reach bosses relatively fast but underleved, meaning that it was always almost impossible for me to beat a boss in the conditions of the first encounter, so here the mandatory and boring grinding, just a pair of levels and the same boss became a joke.
Honestly i really don't like it was structured, in a well made linear game you should reach a boss at the right time/conditions and it should be always a good and fair challenge.

TX's gameplay looks totally YS Oath-like, in this new video it may not look like it, but other videos show jumping, platforming sections, traps, ground and air dash etc exactly like YS Oath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3ZHvaqB98

Alboreo

I expected no less from Falcom, but my god the soundtrack sounds wonderful. The first track in the town video was awesome.

Just a redone port of the original that does away with Working Designs terrible localization would do the trick.
That's not my point: Falcom's got a tag-in-tag-out party system for TX which fits right with how PM lets you switch party members. And I think making a much wackier, bubble-era fantasy game would be the reprieve we need from the recent military school/urban fantasy themes Falcom's used.

Maybe i played YS Oath wrong but i was always able to reach bosses relatively fast but underleved, meaning that it was always almost impossible for me to beat a boss in the conditions of the first encounter, so here the mandatory and boring grinding, just a pair of levels and the same boss became a joke.

Wow, I didn't have a similar experience with Oath at all. I seem to remember all the bosses being pattern recognition, so grinding was pretty pointless, just practice on the bosses. Only one I remember being at a distinct disadvantage with was the harpy boss, but even then I just practiced and didn't grind.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow, I didn't have a similar experience with Oath at all. I seem to remember all the bosses being pattern recognition, so grinding was pretty pointless, just practice on the bosses. Only one I remember being at a distinct disadvantage with was the harpy boss, but even then I just practiced and didn't grind.
Yes bosses were pattern based, but one or two more levels made a huge difference in both attack and defense.

If you were underleveled one or two boss' attacks were enough to kill you, while you needed to hit him too many times to kill him(basically unbeatable unless you had cyborg reflexes and patience), one or more levels and you were able to get many hits and to do a large amount of damage with few hits.

On one hand i liked that each single level made a real difference, imo there's no reason for 200 levels if their effects aren't really noticeable, but at the same time the game should let you reach the boss with the right level.

Terrible? Sheesh. You'd think you were playing Castle Shikigami 2 or something.

They screwed with the game's difficulty to the point of ruining the entire game.

That's not my point: Falcom's got a tag-in-tag-out party system for TX which fits right with how PM lets you switch party members. And I think making a much wackier, bubble-era fantasy game would be the reprieve we need from the recent military school/urban fantasy themes Falcom's used.

Oh good point.

That school environment, the music, the UI...it's all super Persona 3/4 inspired. This could be cool but I don't know if they can write dialogue like Atlus does.

wmlk

I remember being knocked for the Persona comparison in a previous topic. Looks like I was right. This is Falcom's Persona, except without any of the charm or character that Atlus can do. The combat looks bland and the animations are pretty bad...game looks cheap to me.

This is pretty much what I feel as someone who has no history with Falcom's games. I like Persona's school stuff because it's done well, but I usually don't like life sim or dating aspects in video games.

It would help if I understood what they were saying. Still, looks like there's no flavour to the visuals.

Music is damn good, though.

RM8

Gameplay looks pretty fun. I honestly was hoping there wouldn't be social elements :x But yeah, I guess it wasn't a realistic expectation considering the tone of the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gameplay looks pretty fun. I honestly was hoping there wouldn't be social elements :x But yeah, I guess it wasn't a realistic expectation considering the tone of the game.

Yeah, I was also hoping there wouldn't be social elements...kind of a disappointment. I was hoping something with the pacing of Xanadu Next.

I personally love SLs and I think every JRPG should have something like that (like Private Actions in Star Ocean or the Xenoblade scenes that I forgot the name).

I can kinda understand why people don't want it though, specially on an aRPG from Falcom, but idk, I'm still glad it's there. I'd even take a SL with Adol (lol).

Maybe they should make it optional, or make the social stuff not interfere on the gameplay part, so that people can do only that if they want. Specially considering how previous Xanadu games were and how this one changes it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I personally love SLs and I think every JRPG should have something like that (like Private Actions in Star Ocean or the Xenoblade scenes that I forgot the name).

I can kinda understand why people don't want it though, specially on an aRPG from Falcom, but idk, I'm still glad it's there. I'd even take a SL with Adol (lol).

Maybe they should make it optional, or make the social stuff not interfere on the gameplay part, so that people can do only that if they want. Specially considering how previous Xanadu games were and how this one changes it.

My biggest problem is that I'm OCD, so even if it's optional, I'll end up doing it because I feel like I'm missing some aspect of the game by ignoring it. That's a personal issue, though!

But yeah, I really hate SLs, and it's the reason I stopped playing the Persona series.

Top Bottom