• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu City & Dungeon Gameplay videos

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
2 New videos of City & Dungeon gameplay for Tokyo Xanadu slated for a Sept 30th release in Japan.

City Gameplay

Dungeon Gameplay

Previous Thread Info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3ZHvaqB98

5 mins

Too lazy to look for the other threads here so just use this gematsu info dump link instead.

http://gematsu.com/tag/tokyo-xanadu

The fictional idol group SPiKA that shows up in Tokyo Xanadu have released 3 songs for sale as a mini album. One of the main characters in the game Rion Kugayama belongs to this group.

Apparently the songs are not being sold separately, but the mini album is 1000 JPY for all 3.

http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/hnw10103340/

Is it available on the amazon store? I usually buy Falcom soundtracks there.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...=aps&field-keywords=Seize+the+day+(東亰ザナドゥ主題歌)

Are they on Itunes? If so, anyone have the link so I can buy them?

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/seize-day-dong-jingzanado/id1029361061

Thanks for the Amazon JP link, Parakeetman.

Edit: Now available in the Amazon USA store too, fuck yeah. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141O06A4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looks awesome. I'm a big Xanadu fan, so I'm all in.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
While not exact the station is so Tachikawa thats awesome lol. Plus even had the Orion bookstore. Granted the location is different from the actual station.

The action looked good too with the brief bit of dungeon combat. Seems like they are doing the usual system of resistance / weaknesses and such.

Teknoman

Falcom sure is all about party character switching in action rpgs these days.

Looks cool, but I kinda miss the days of a Falcom one man/one woman army.

Dio

Banned
Yeah, this looks fun.

The soundtrack will be top tier, like in every single Falcom game before it, and this just solidifies that too.

[EDIT]

The more I review the video, the more I need to 'touch' it to really get a feel for how good it is. Normally Falcom nails gamefeel but I dunno if this really has it yet - the more I look closely the more I feel like there are probably a few issues here - the stop and attack instead of attacking while running thing, for starters.

Obvious Persona vibe for the city part (I don't think Falcom talked about some social link system though ?) but that dungeon/fight part is very attractive. Top tier PS Vita game incoming here.

#XSEEDplz

I wasn't quite on the "looks like Persona" train until now =P

Although I appreciate the clean look of the city. It's like if Persona had an early-mid gen game on the PS3.

Dungeons look much better than what I had in mind too. It looks very handcrafted, which is a plus coming from Falcom.

I do hope the weakness system is not as prevalent in this as in Ys Seven, because I only want to use Sora =X

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Character swapping looked awkward, visually.

Running around town didn't look very interesting, hopefully that isn't a big focus.

Dungeons look much better than what I had in mind too. It looks very handcrafted, which is a plus coming from Falcom.

I do hope the weakness system is not as prevalent in this as in Ys Seven, because I only want to use Sora =X

Wait, the dungeons aren't random are they? I'd likely pass on the game if they are.

Agree on weaknesses, Celceta improved somewhat on that, hopefully they don't regress.

Dark_castle

Gameplay looks fun, but the environmental and dungeon design look bland and lifeless, like it was just a bunch of corridor and boxes with basic layout and structures, but very much lacking in details. :|

I wasn't quite on the "looks like Persona" train until now =P

Although I appreciate the clean look of the city. It's like if Persona had an early-mid gen game on the PS3.

That dungeon looks handcrafted to you? It reminds me a lot of Crisis Core's dungeon design, and not what I would consider as handcrafted.

Kysen

Already preordered on psn. Seeing that friend log updated message in the first video means that the persons log is back from Sen no kiseki. Gonna wait for the Book Walker guide to come out so I don't miss anything.

Nyoro SF

Gameplay looks fun, but the environmental and dungeon design look bland and lifeless, like it was just a bunch of corridor and boxes with basic layout and structures, but very much lacking in details. :|

Yeah, the game lacks any artistic signature.

If it wasn't for the Xanadu name being associated with Falcom, I wouldn't have recognized this game apart from any dungeon crawler on the Vita.

Aeana

The dungeon video has gone a long way toward convincing me to sit this out until it's cheaper. The city stuff was always something I'd have to tolerate at best, and the dungeons look super bland... don't think there's enough interesting here for full price, and this is probably the first time I've ever said that about a Falcom game in my life.

Wait, the dungeons aren't random are they? I'd likely pass on the game if they are.

Agree on weaknesses, Celceta improved somewhat on that, hopefully they don't regress.

I don't think they've ever said it actually. I thought it would be like .Hack GU at first =P (fight rooms, corridors, trap rooms and some extra stuff). But seeing it now, with all the actual design involved, it doesn't seem random at all.

Could be a well made randomizaton though, so idk. It's hard to judge from such little footage, but it looks handcrafted. Specially when you see things like enemies waiting to jump out on you, and others placed on such specific positions... Randomly generated dungeons don't tend to have such specific things, since it'd get predictable really fast, but idk...

And I didn't mind the weakness system at all in Ys Seven, since in that game everyone plays very similar to each other. But here they seem to be very different (specially Sora), so I hope I can only use her.

Kysen

Yeah, the game lacks any artistic signature.

If it wasn't for the Xanadu name being associated with Falcom, I wouldn't have recognized this game apart from any dungeon crawler on the Vita.
This isn't true at all, if you've played any recent falcom game you'd instantly recognise the character artwork. Also the dungeons in this game are literally right out of Sen no kiseki.

Aeana

This isn't true at all, if you've played any recent falcom game you'd instantly recognise the character artwork. Also the dungeons in this game are literally right out of Sen no kiseki.

Sen no Kiseki didn't have strong dungeon design at all, especially not the old schoolhouse.

Kysen

Sen no Kiseki didn't have strong dungeon design at all, especially not the old schoolhouse.
Im expecting the exact same design in this game. The odd switch here and there and due to the new mechanics some light platforming. It's running the same engine so expecting a complete overhaul is unlikely. Ie dungeon design similar to Ys, with traps etc.

TheChaos0

Character swapping looked awkward, visually.

Running around town didn't look very interesting, hopefully that isn't a big focus.

That's the first thing I've noticed. They should do something about it because at the moment it looks very bland.

ZoddGutts

Wish Falcom would jump onto the UE4 bandwagon but since they plan on sticking with the Vita, doesn't look like that will happen. Looks like their using that old PhyreEngine, that engine feels outdated.

The gameplay looks kind of fun, and I really dig the modern-day setting for RPGs. But I can't help but feel that every modern-day setting game out of Japan lately features idols heavily.

Kudo

What can I say, it looks and sounds really good. Hopefully it comes here sooner or later.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looks great, but gameplay looks a little too much like YS Oath, i hope it doesn't require the same grinding.

I remember being knocked for the Persona comparison in a previous topic. Looks like I was right. This is Falcom's Persona, except without any of the charm or character that Atlus can do. The combat looks bland and the animations are pretty bad...game looks cheap to me.

ranmafan

I like what I see, can't wait to get it. Will certainly be the game that will keep me busy in October for sure!

I'd rather have a bland, non-obtrusive switching animation than something obnoxious that could obscure my view. Best thing Falcom can do is make switching feel snappy enough in terms of frames.

Looks decent, but yeah, not hot on randomized dungeons even if the combat looks great.

I WANT A POPFUL MAIL REMAKE DANG IT

So its essentially "Persona: Action RPG Edition".

Looks pretty good, but it seems that Falcom's fast and frantic gameplay has taken a hit in the transition to the 3D space. I mean the combat looks fun, but enough to keep me entertained for hours fun? I don't know, I need to see more.

I WANT A POPFUL MAIL REMAKE DANG IT

Just a redone port of the original that does away with Working Designs terrible localization would do the trick.

Sitrus

First impressions of the game from dengekionline.com(JP):

A short summary:
- Improved the engine from Sen no Kiseki II with improved polygon quality. Better material rendering and hair.
- The quizzes in the classroom appears once again
- Character parameters (bravery and benevolence)
- Towa-sempai rejoins the fray!
- Seemingly responsive controls
- The attribute system favors character switching
- Game flow is: Prologue → Free Time → Chapter Start→ Fight in the other world/Dungeon crawler time → Boss fight → Chapter End and repeat. Will be very familiar for those who have played Sen no Kiseki I (or any Trails game for that matter).
- Galge clichees like the female childhood friend and more
- Kizuna Episode = Forming bonds (Social Links), you get it

Some more in the link, but those should be enough for most people.

Top Bottom