• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division E3 Wrap Up Video

Looks decent enough but I'd really like to try the beta to get a feel for it for myself. Plus I really want to know more about the story since they've been really tight lipped about it.

What do you even do in this game?

All I saw was 4 minutes of boring shooting from behind cover.

Is this 'what do you even do?' thing going to spread? If so may God have mercy on our souls.

To answer your question the game is a third person action shooter with rpg elements. You go around in the city, finding better loot, leveling up, fighting people.

No words about the story yet.

I think it looks pretty, wanna try the beta though. I'm imagining all kinds of awesome scenarios but that's just imagination so I want to try it out in beta first to come with my final verdict.

antitrop

Is this 'what do you even do?' thing going to spread? If so may God have mercy on our souls.

To answer your question the game is a third person action shooter with rpg elements. You go around in the city, finding better loot, leveling up, fighting people.

I think it looks pretty, wanna try the beta though. I'm imagining all kinds of awesome scenarios but that's just imagination so I want to try it out in beta first to come with my final verdict.

This shit looks basic and boring as fuck, what's new and interesting? Hide behind cover against bullet-sponge enemies, sounds like a great time.

What's the hook, what's the selling point, beyond what I can obviously ascertain for myself from watching 30 seconds of gameplay? Is this just third-person Destiny? Excuse me while I try to think of something more lame.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Xbox one version?
X1Jky48.png

Have we been shown a skill tree or loot modifiers? Anything that shows the extent of these rpg/loot elements?

Klyka

Banned
The entire idea of the gameplay behind the game excites me,because it's co-op with friends.
It's like Destiny, so it should be damn good fun.

We should make a thread where we put together all confirmed info on the game that we have for now,just like Ghost Recon has a thread now.

From the looks of it, pc version should look like the 2014 demo, while consoles look like the video in the OP. Loving the gas masks.

Because that what happened to watch dogs. Ohh wait.
At this point i would stop believing hopefully and just wait and see. 100x times more with ubisoft titles.

Mozendo

Even though I'm excited for The Division I can't help but to feel that it's going to be a very bland game. The game has been in development for three years and we barely know anything about it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Because that what happened to watch dogs. Ohh wait.
At this point i would stop believing hopefully and just wait and see. 100x times more with ubisoft titles.
Watch Dogs had to tone down a ton of assets because for was cross gen. They probably didn't consider it a good idea to make basically two versions of the same map on top of toning down things like physics for last gen consoles. To bring another example, AC:Unity on pc looks exactly like what was advertised, the console versions naturally don't look as good since they're running at a reduced resolution.

jesu

Most likely getting this anyway, but just did the pre-order beta thing on Amazon too.
I do like the apocalyptic look of the game.

It seems to be Destiny in an actual open world instead of "select an instance and jump into a small level"

I dunno, the impression I got was that you were in a hub area and when you decided to do a mission you were sort of "instanced" into an area, kinda like Guild Wars. I could be wrong though.

Klyka

Banned
I dunno, the impression I got was that you were in a hub area and when you decided to do a mission you were sort of "instanced" into an area, kinda like Guild Wars. I could be wrong though.

I watched the devs talk at E3.
The entire city is one open world. There are (according to them) no load times once you walk around it or enter buildings/dark zones.

The thing that is "instanced" is kinda "the world" for you though. You will,outside of dark zones and hubs, apparently not come across other players (or only very very VERY rarely) because you and your fireteam venture out into your own instance of the open world.
However, it is all one big world,seamless playing,no load screens, no "teleport to area cut off from rest of world".

I mean,even in the E3 demo,they showed you literally just climbing over stuff (which is a disguised load screen/network connection time) and entering a dark zone,which then pits you with/against other players.

It's basically what we all thought Destiny would be before it actually came out.

Dr Dogg

I'm still a little unsure of what the 'hook' for The Division is going to be. Sure it's essentially a loot grinding game but what are the incentives to get better and better loot? It's a Clancy game and while it does veer a little of the ultra realism path I doubt it's going to have anything like boss fights on the scale of a Diablo or even a Borderlands. How is even the campaign going to be handled in a persistent or shared world setting and will you be able to playthrough it again at a more challenging level? Lot's of questions that are short on answers but something I'm keeping a firm eye on and hey there's a beta to at least get a brief glimpse of some of the games systems. The complaints about a lack of melee are a bit worrying though as it sounds like up close you just get into a shoving match like a bunch of school kids.

Klyka

Banned
I'm still a little unsure of what the 'hook' for The Division is going to be. Sure it's essentially a loot grinding game but what are the incentives to get better and better loot? It's a Clancy game and while it does veer a little of the ultra realism path I doubt it's going to have anything like boss fights on the scale of a Diablo or even a Borderlands. How is even the campaign going to be handled in a persistent or shared world setting and will you be able to playthrough it again at a more challenging level? Lot's of questions that are short on answers but something I'm keeping a firm eye on and hey there's a beta to at least get a brief glimpse of some of the games systems. The complaints about a lack of melee are a bit worrying though as it sounds like up close you just get into a shoving match like a bunch of school kids.

There is a lot of info in this video
https://division.zone/en/2015/06/17/the-division-twitch-community-event-e3-2015/

glaurung

I'm still a little unsure of what the 'hook' for The Division is going to be.
Asshole-based multiplayer. Douchebags will flock to this game's betrayal features like never before.

But history has shown that betrayal and paranoia-based multiplayer games don't have legs.

Dr Dogg

Can't get Twitch at the mo but is that the hour long community Q&A vid? Yeah was some great stuff in there but still loads more to be disclosed (which I'm sure the devs will do periodically between now and right up to release).

I've actually been watching a few of this dudes videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6_ekp-uPkM0lOuNPVQLFA

As he seem to be a predominant community member and has a wealth of info, analysis and speculation in his vids.

Asshole-based multiplayer. Douchebags will flock to this game's betrayal features like never before.

But history has shown that betrayal and paranoia-based multiplayer games don't have legs.

Hahaha. Yeah sounds par for the course. I get the feeling it will be another 'better with friends' style game.

Klyka

Banned

It's a game to play with friends and beat other people over the head.
I would be very very wary of going into this alone.

Can't get Twitch at the mo but is that the hour long community Q&A vid? Yeah was some great stuff in there but still loads more to be disclosed (which I'm sure the devs will do periodically between now and right up to release).

I've actually been watching a few of this dudes videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6_ekp-uPkM0lOuNPVQLFA

As he seem to be a predominant community member and has a wealth of info, analysis and speculation in his vids.

Yep,it's that Q&A video!

And the guy you linked makes good videos,he seems to have good communication with the dev team.

Yeah, it seems like most online encounters will just devolve into people trying to kill each other. If you don't have friends then that sounds like a terrible time. Though even with friends that would very quickly become dull.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, it seems like most online encounters will just devolve into people trying to kill each other. If you don't have friends then that sounds like a terrible time. Though even with friends that would very quickly become dull.

Again,do remember that PvP ONLY works in Dark Zones.
If you never enter a Dark Zone,you will never PvP.
It is entirely voluntary and just an extra part of the game.

glaurung

It's a game to play with friends and beat other people over the head.
I would be very very wary of going into this alone.
The last game that I can remember where you can backstab your party members was Kane and Lynch 2. They had the traitor feature thought out quite well, but it grew stale very quickly. Of course that game was decidedly mediocre anyway.

Playing with friends against a different team might be interesting. But no doubt the game will nurture teams that gank up on solo players and take advantage of the system.

If they make this an inseparable part of game play, they will alienate a large portion of their gamers super quick. Building the game around dungeon runs or Destiny-esque strikes would make sense, but this is a military shooter. Killing hordes after hordes of enemies, armored enemies, cars, tanks and helicopters will get old after some time. At least Destiny has more varied enemies available.

I think I am more interested in the new Ghost Recon.

Klyka

Banned
I thought that entering the Dark zones was the only way to get decent loot?

"decent loot". Lol, no.
The Dark Zones have "the best" loot, according to the devs.
What "the best" means, we don't know.
Also,as these loot games usually are, they will be made ins uch a way that you never need "the best loot" to actually do all the proper content in the game and people will mostly want dark zone loot to be able to better PvP.

An overview
http://thedivision.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Zones

"decent loot". Lol, no.
The Dark Zones have "the best" loot, according to the devs.
What "the best" means, we don't know.
Also,as these loot games usually are, they will be made ins uch a way that you never need "the best loot" to actually do all the proper content in the game and people will mostly want dark zone loot to be able to better PvP.

An overview
http://thedivision.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Zones
That's a bit better than I thought (depending on what "best" means), but it still doesn't sound appealing to me personally.

Septic360

Banned
A game like this would REALLY benefit from bold additions like perma-death. In fact, that would become the standout feature for it.

Can you imagine working hard on a character only to lose them? Double edged sword I know but a game mechanic where you have to rush your downed mate in a squad to a hospital or where you offer a reward to other players to take you to a nearby one to get revived etc?

I understand that you can lose your weapon in this, but I think that just means your 'special weapon' from the Blackzones in the game.

Games need to do that now. They need bolder steps than just mmo elements slapped onto existing FPS/TPS games.

Klyka

Banned
That's a bit better than I thought (depending on what "best" means), but it still doesn't sound appealing to me personally.

Which is perfectly fine, it's just one part of the game and you enver have to engage in any PvP.
I know tons of people who are hella scared about other people and PvP in games and I myself play the game for 90% of co-op and maybe 10% of PvP.
The friend i'll play this game with will pretty much rage and quit the game once we get to the PvP aspect anyway XD

A game like this would REALLY benefit from bold additions like perma-death. In fact, that would become the standout feature for it.

Can you imagine working hard on a character only to lose them? Double edged sword I know but a game mechanic where you have to rush your downed mate in a squad to a hospital or where you offer a reward to other players to take you to a nearby one to get revived etc?

I understand that you can lose your weapon in this, but I think that just means your 'special weapon' from the Blackzones in the game.

Games need to do that now. They need bolder steps than just mmo elements slapped onto existing FPS/TPS games.

Mechanics like this would be a big NO BUY from me. Im using all my time to beef up my character to lose it after one death. I would throw that game in the trash.

Top Bottom