• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Hardy to star in Sony's 'Venom', Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) to direct

Ahasverus

The world needs Walton Goggins bringing this scene to life.

6Gvov1l.jpg
... Context please? Lol

Zero-ELEC

Banned
... Context please? Lol

During AXIS, Cletus/Carnage is affected by the Inversion which makes good characters bad and bad characters good. So instead of being a bad violent sociopath serial-killer, he becomes a violent sociopath serial-killer that is constantly struggling with the whole doing good thing because he's a violent sociopath serial-killer.

That's him sacrificing himself to stop a gene bomb set up by the X-Men that would kill all humans in its radius.

EDIT: Beaten by the old man himself.

Patriots7

It has nothing to do with the character not being a part of the MCU than it's Sony by themselves not being able to make a good Spider-Man film in almost 15 years. They're so clueless nowadays that they just let someone else deal with it than them actually trying to come up with something good by themselves.

Plus, a Spider-Man universe is just dumb.
Spider-Man 1 and 2 are considered great to excellent films.

The Amazing Spider-Man received reviews that are in-line with Captain America, Iron Man 2, Ant Man, etc. So how was it not a good film if those MCU films are considered good? Was it in the upper echelon of comic book films? No. But it was pretty well received as a good movie.

It's like you all forget Elektra, Daredevil, Catwoman, X3, Wolverine, Thor 2, Ghost Rider, et al when you think about bad superhero movies.

aliengmr

While I do like the idea of a Venom movie, I'll concede that it's probably a risky venture without Spidey.

That said, Tom Hardy signing on is exciting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The choice of director makes me incredibly leary. And I say that as someone who enjoyed Zombieland. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Kree

Banned

The Amazing Spider-Man received reviews that are in-line with Captain America, Iron Man 2, Ant Man, etc. So how was it not a good film if those MCU films are considered good? Was it in the upper echelon of comic book films? No. But it was pretty well received as a good movie.

It's like you all forget Elektra, Daredevil, Catwoman, X3, Wolverine, Thor 2, Ghost Rider, et al when you think about bad superhero movies.
Thor 2 was better than Spider-Man 2.

why is venom part of a new universe? i thought sony realized by now that no one wants a spiderman universe separate from the mcu,

why isn't venom in the mcu?

J_Viper

If they're really going for a hard R for Venom, then it makes perfect sense for this not to be attached to the kid friendly MCU Spidey

Don't know the big deal is

Thor 2 was better than Spider-Man 2.

This meme has officially spiraled out of control

Vampfox

Banned
Don't care.
It's just another bad attempt by Sony to make a Spider-Man film universe. Only this time it's a Spider-Man film universe without Spider-Man in it.
It's gonna suck.

Sony should just try and get Raimi, Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten Dunst back and make a Renew Your Vows Spider-Man movie.

Don't care.
It's just another bad attempt by Sony to make a Spider-Man film universe. Only this time it's a Spider-Man film universe without Spider-Man in it.
It's gonna suck.

Sony should just try and get Raimi, Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten Dunst back and make a Renew Your Vows Spider-Man movie.

... yes because that would be way better. That wouldn't suck at all.

Sooo... I'm a bit confused. So Sony made a deal with Disney that allows Disney to use Spider-Man in the MCU. If they are building their own extended universe starting with Venom, does it connect to the Homecoming Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man or a new Sony Spider-Man? Can't keep my Peter Parkers straight...

Link1110

Last time he was in a comic movie he did his impression of Sean Connery from snl celebrity jeopardy the whole time. Let's hope the director doesn't tell him to do that again

poodaddy

Don't care.
It's gonna suck.

That sounds like an horrifically terrible idea. Have you seen Spider Man 3?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Marvel Studios never should have agreed to help with Spider-Man: Homecoming unless they had full control (or final approval) of Spiderverse films.

Busty

Banned
Sooo... I'm a bit confused. So Sony made a deal with Disney that allows Disney to use Spider-Man in the MCU. If they are building their own extended universe starting with Venom, does it connect to the Homecoming Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man or a new Sony Spider-Man? Can't keep my Peter Parkers straight...

Venom will be part of a separate slate of films that use characters from the Spider-Man universe that will be completely unconnected to the MCU.

However..., there's no situation where these spin-off films won't be feature Spider-Man, either Holland's, removed from the MCU, or another.

Marvel Studios never should have agreed to help with Spider-Man: Homecoming unless they had full control (or final approval) of Spiderverse films.

Pretty much.

Now they have numerous superfluous Spider-Man spin-offs and an animated film rolling off the shovel to look forward to.

Probably a deal breaker for Sony.

People need to realize Spider-Man is Sony's only film franchise worth a shit now that Bond is gone. They are going to do the (non)Spidey-verse regardless of whether people like it or not.

diaspora

Don't care.
It's gonna suck.

trash-tier move

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah and it's over hated. Most of the problems with SM3 were not Raimi's fault.
Also ASM 2 is a way worst film.

Sony forced Raimi to use Venom.

They didn't force him to have Peter Parker dance around in two awkward scenes, retcon Uncle Ben's death so that it randomly involved Sandman, insert a terrible amnesia plot or have Harry's butler save the day.

poodaddy

Sony forced Raimi to use Venom.

They didn't force him to have Peter Parker dance around in two awkward scenes, retcon Uncle Ben's death so that it randomly involved Sandman, insert a terrible amnesia plot or have Harry's butler save the day.

This. Look I loved Raimi's earlier work; I legitimately believe he has a talent for crafting hilariously stupid characters that somehow manage to be loveable, but I don't want him anywhere near Spider-Man anymore. Spider-Man 3 is not over hated, the movie is an abysmal insult to the series and the IP in general.

Also for those wining about cinematic universe b.s., who really gives a shit? The X Men cinematic universe was pure ass yet Logan turned out to be the best film out of not only Fox's catalogue of Marvel flicks but also Marvel's very own cinematic universe. It stands head and shoulders above them because it didn't try to squeeze into the constraints of a pre made universe; it was just a damn good movie and that's all it was trying to be. Venom could turn out great while having less than nothing to do with any cinematic universe, it all just depends on how the director handles it.

Sure, it could turn out to be terrible, but if it does it won't have anything to do with Venom being a bad character or not fitting into a universe properly; it will purely be because the director shit the bed, which I'm hoping he doesn't.

The more I think about it, the more I just want an Agent Venom film based on Remender's run. It was so good.

You had a great protagonist in the broken and down-on-his-luck Flash:

Disabled war veteran turned alcoholic turned super-powered spy turned extra-terrestrial horror. Black ops missions for the government. Struggling with an inner darkness stemming from a lifetime of abuse, alcoholism, horrific PTSD.

You have dark government conspiracies and messed up criminal conspiracies, a good cast of supporting characters (nerdy tech guy, blind general gambling on Flash, the mysterious criminal 'Crime Master', Betty Brant, Flash's love interest that's tired of his shit, oh and Peter, his friend with his own secrets). The first half is a cool espionage film, the second is a fucking gory and fucked up horror film as the symbiote loses its shit while Flash comes across long-buries government secrets, including a failed attempt at bonding a symbiote to a human host (TOXIN)

16673467._SX540_.jpg

3468224-4791899094-tumbl.jpg

And you have an easy set up for two sequels!

The second one could be "The Savage Six/The Crime Master" where Flash is tasked with hunting down and eliminating a criminal syndicate that kidnapped a senator's daughter, that subsequently hits back when it targets his family. The main villain would be The Crime Master and his cronies, Jack O'Lantern and The Savage Six

And then a final film, where the primary villain is Jack O'Lantern, a childish, completely absurd and evil lunatic that declares that he will be Flash's arch-nemesis and finds out his true identity, but also sees him as a kindred spirit and almost like a brother:

smhml3_jack9.jpg

To be honest, Venom #22 featuring the final battle between Venom and Jack was an amazing culmination of their feud, and would be a pretty beautiful ending to a film, as Flash turns away from the darkness and into the light, and embraces being a real hero.

I really wish I could find those amazing final pages between Venom and Jack online, but it's one of the best moments in comics in the last few years that I read.

I think it it might be a remote possibility that Sony could cast Daniel Craig as Carnage. Have you guys seen the Jacket? He would make a good Cleetus Kassidy.
thejacket12.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man was a good start, however it was The Amazing Spider-Man 2 that nuked that brand.

Metalmarc

Can someone reccomend me some Venom & Some Carnage Comics to read, other than Maximum Carnage thats the only One i have read, thanks

Rooster12

Can someone reccomend me some Venom & Some Carnage Comics to read, other than Maximum Carnage thats the only One i have read, thanks

Most of them suck.

Venom by Remender is the best one.

Daniel Way's Venom is another recommendation if you're into nonsensical trainwrecks.

Early Venom stories consisted of the formula.

-Concoct a cleaver prison break
-Tease Peter by befriending Peter's encourage.
-Peter accepts Eddie's challenge to an off-site fight.
-Peter finds a way to defeat the Symbiote part of Brock, wins.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Agent Venom would be the better choice, but I just don't trust current day Sony Pictures with such a strong concept, even if they do have a good director and Hardy behind it.

Busty

Banned
Agent Venom would be the better choice, but I just don't trust current day Sony Pictures with such a strong concept, even if they do have a good director and Hardy behind it.

Really, a good director? Fleischer is solid at best. While Zombieland worked that "30 Minutes" film was a total misstep and Gangster Squad was a straight up disaster.

It's no wonder he's been jobbing in TV doing stuff like directing the pilot of that Drew Barrymore Netflix show since then.

I'm also not sure how he's going to keep Hardy in check given that he has a reputation for being 'difficult'.

hobozero

I can buy into Asgard. I can believe a radioactive spider gave someone powers. I can accept Marvel characters who control weather, probability, and wood. But I will never understand how Venom's jaw is supposed to work.

Top Bottom