• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Hardy to star in Sony's 'Venom', Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) to direct

Yeah I don't know why people are saying Holland won't be in Venom where all I've seen is just speculation and couldn't find it confirmed or reported anywhere

Nobody is going to see a Venom movie without Spider-Man guys. Nobody would dare try to create a Venom movie without Spider-Man, even Sony's dumbass

Did you read Sony's release? It says "Sony's Marvel Universe"

Not MCU. No Holland.

mjc

I really don't understand the point of making a Venom movie that doesn't involve Spider-Man..such a weird decision.

Do we know the ins and outs of the Marvel/Sony deal? Can Sony use the name Spider-Man in reference, just not show him? So weird.

Oh, and he needs to look like this:

vencar15.jpg

None of that ' just started lifting beginner gains' shit like in S3.

Where is it confirmed that Holland is exclusive to the MCU

It hasnt been

I really don't understand the point of making a Venom movie that doesn't involve Spider-Man..such a weird decision.

Do we know the ins and outs of the Marvel/Sony deal? Can Sony use the name Spider-Man in reference, just not show him? So weird.

Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man. They can do whatever they want with him.

Where is it confirmed that Holland is exclusive to the MCU

Putting Holland as Spider-Man in two separate universes would be unprecedented fuckery and even dumber than a Venom movie with no Spider-Man at all.

So even if it's not confirmed I don't see what could possibly lead you to think this is the case.

IDo we know the ins and outs of the Marvel/Sony deal? Can Sony use the name Spider-Man in reference, just not show him? So weird.

Sony still holds the rights to Spider-Man. They can do what they want with him, basically.

The deal they've made is an agreement to let Marvel Studios make Spider-Man movies for them. From what I understand Marvel doesn't even get any of the box-office receipts.

Sony could, at any point, take the character and plop him into whatever they want. It's still theirs to do with as they wish. Granted, Marvel probably wouldn't like that, and it probably wouldn't go very well for Sony. But if Sony wanted to do it, they could.

I like Hardy, but I think that trying to make your own marvel universe when you have a foot in the MCU door is moronic, making a venom movie without spider-man is moronic, and doing both at the same time is infinite moronic.

Sony still holds the rights to Spider-Man. They can do what they want with him, basically.

The deal they've made is an agreement to let Marvel Studios make Spider-Man movies for them. From what I understand Marvel doesn't even get any of the box-office receipts.

Sony could, at any point, take the character and plop him into whatever they want. It's still theirs to do with as they wish. Granted, Marvel probably wouldn't like that, and it probably wouldn't go very well for Sony. But if Sony wanted to do it, they could.

Can they use Holland's Spider-Man specifically, in anything?

Deepwater

Putting Holland as Spider-Man in two separate universes would be unprecedented fuckery and even dumber than a Venom movie with no Spider-Man at all.

So even if it's not confirmed I don't see what could possibly lead you to think this is the case.

Wouldn't doubt that at all.

Imagine the Sony Universe as Amazing Spider-Man and the MCU as the Mighty Avengers/Major Crossover Events. It's not a stretch to believe they could be self contained

Romez

People keep saying 'Venom movie without Spider-Man'

Who said Spider-Man isn't going to be in this? Sony still owns the rights, there's no reason SM can't be in this. It just won't be part of the MCU.

Wouldn't doubt that at all.

Imagine the Sony Universe as Amazing Spider-Man and the MCU as the Mighty Avengers/Major Crossover Events. It's not a stretch to believe they could be self contained

I don't read comics so I don't understand this. I just think it'd be really bad for their brand to mess with audiences like that.

But it's Sony, after all.

Guys cmon. Take the W.

This means Venom will hopefully not be in the MCU.

Venom was always kinda lame. Despite that, I will see this cuz I love Tom Hardy.

jett

D-Member
I hated Venom in S3. That's about my interaction with the character.

I think Sony should wait until they see how the Mahvel Spiderman does until working on this shit.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Isn't he just on loan to the MCU? I mean Sony still have the rights so they can put him in anything they want right? If anything Venom will become like one of Marvel's Netflix shows. Never mentioned in the main movie line.

I don't read comics so I don't understand this. I just think it'd be really bad for their brand to mess with audiences like that.

But it's Sony, after all.

It's not really that confusing. They don't even have to explicitly mention that they are in two different universe. Just make a Spider-Man movie where the Avengers don't show up. It would be like the several hundred issues of Spider-Man that have been published where other superheroes don't show up.

People keep saying 'Venom movie without Spider-Man'

Who said Spider-Man isn't going to be in this? Sony still owns the rights, there's no reason SM can't be in this. It just won't be part of the MCU.

I think most of us assumed that Marvel Studios lawyers would have worked something out on paper to prevent Sony from making movies in the cinematic universe they own.

So while taking Holland's Peter and putting him in their own separate universe technically might not make it a MCU movie, a good chunk of the people who watch it will still think it exists in the same world as Tony Stark. And if the movie turns out terrible thats very bad for Marvel.

But of course we don't know the specifics.

Can they use Holland's Spider-Man specifically, in anything?

I believe he's under contract with Sony, and I'm pretty sure Sony is paying his check, so if they were like "you're going to be Spider-Man in our Venom movie, buddy" he'd either have to do it, or walk.

I think.

Again, I don't see that being a prudent course of action on their part, but I believe they could take it, if they thought that was the right move.

Nesotenso

the biggest the problem here is that Sony is trying to establish a "universe" with supporting characters who do not exist independently of Spidey.

Everything here is just a cynical attempt to ensure that the movie licensing rights remain where they are for a longer time.

phanphare

Banned
Guys cmon. Take the W.

This means Venom will hopefully not be in the MCU.

Venom was always kinda lame. Despite that, I will see this cuz I love Tom Hardy.

nah, venom is great. he's just involved in a bunch of lame shit. but in terms of being a spidey villain venom is like the green goblin on crack. he knows spider man's identity so he can mess with his family and friends but he also doesn't trigger his spider sense. the potential for a great story is there.

Jigorath

Banned
I never understood the point of a Venom movie when it's going to be just as expensive as a Spider-Man film but with only half the appeal.

Guys, what if, just maybe, Homecoming is a smash hit and Sony realizes they can let the people they give a movie to just make it, and not interfere.

Sony's done some dumb shit before and I still think the premise of this second universe is dumb, but the talent here COULD produce a really good movie.

phanphare

Banned
Guys, what if, just maybe, Homecoming is a smash hit and Sony realizes they can let the people they give a movie to just make it, and not interfere.

Sony's done some dumb shit before and I still think the premise of this second universe is dumb, but the talent here COULD produce a really good movie.

"could", yes, but I won't believe it until after I've seen it and not a second prior

Kart94

Banned
Oh god no. Zombieland for me is one of the most overrated films i had ever watched. A discount Shaun of the Dead if i ever saw one. Sony is really desperate for a hit aren't they?

Top Bottom