• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Nook Amiibo: $4 + Free Prime Shipping (USA)

I promise this isn't a scam - just a really awesome deal!

tumblr_mjx4gglOO71qihzglo1_r1_400.gif

Link

EDIT: Looks like a bunch of the Animal Crossing amiibo on Amazon are only $4 now!

Berordn

The Amiibo market was bound to Beanie Baby eventually.

The Smash ones are doing well still it seems, I think they're just learning a harsh lesson on what does and doesn't work with amiibo; basically you can't whip up a whole line of them without having an actually good use or market for them first.

You can sort of see them learning with how a Star Fox line seemed to be inevitable and didn't happen and how the Kirby line is smaller and launching alongside an actual Kirby game.

Poyunch

Man I'd really want that Rover one if the pose wasn't kinda shit.

The Smash ones are doing well still it seems, I think they're just learning a harsh lesson on what does and doesn't work with amiibo.

Basically that you can't whip up a whole line of them without having an actually good use or market for them first.

It makes sense for Smash because you build affinity with the characters you "main" and even casual players lean more towards the characters they get familiar with. I know very few people who are like "Oh man I'm totally crazy about Celeste, I NEED a figure of her."

Is this the crash of the Amiibo craze?

Small wonder Nintendo did jack for these things. As soon as people realized they were only for collector's value.

Quonny

first set + nostalgia + rarity + use in many games = $$$

fourth set + limited nostalgia + they'refuckingeverywhere + use in one game = no $$$

wrowa

Animal Crossing Amiibos could have done really well if they didn't release it alongside a game no one ever wanted. It's such a missed opportunity it's not even funny.

Luigi87

More like Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival bombed hard.

Pretty much this.

Nintendo failed to realize the reason people went nuts for Amiibo is the initial wave was based on the Super Smash Bros. line, which is of course all of Nintendo's major mascots. For a lot of these characters there weren't any collectable figures of, so of course people wanted them. (Also nostalgia factor)

With Animal Crossing, while the series will continue to be popular for what it is (I certainly enjoy the traditional AC games), the characters themselves don't have the same connection to a lot of people to want to go out and buy.

SalvaPot

Not only did Amiibo Festival Bombed hard, but have you seen the amount of stock the AC line got? When Smash was on wave 2 you got lucky if the store got 4 Pit or Captain Falcon, and Smash characters that do get in the store they all do eventually sell. Remember all those Peach's no one bought? Well, they are not there anymore. When AC released you could see 12 or more of each character.

They stocked AC amiibo as if they were Smash amiibo and that was the terrible mistake. If the kirby amiibo has a modest stock and it sold outs...

Richie

Fun fact: This past weekend, I got Amiibo Festival and the 3 pack of K.K. Slider/Alpacas amiibo for the equivalent of 12 USD. Everything brand new.

Here in Mexico they REALLY want to get rid of these things.

NES R.o.b is also $6
animal crossing
Amiibos are dead >:)

honestly Nintendo making so many animal crossing amiibos made no sense, sure the games sold a ton but they aren't buying the games for random characters, Isabelle they would but the others lol no

Just give me Bayonetta x Cloud and I can quit

tebunker

Banned
I got Nook and Kicks a while back, might get Blathers and Rover too.

Really just want them for my desk.

Also it was pure devilry to put KK with the Llamas no one wanted.

They cleary over estimated the appeal if the line up without interesting software to support it.

If they had made a more legit AC to use the amiibo people would have gone in harder on them.

$4.02 now. Saying it'll cost $5.76 to ship to the UK so that would be more like a 39% saving than a 69% saving for someone in the UK.

The amiibo prices are really variable as a whole especially with retailers known to move prices on supply/demand. Also they might be cheap now but once they're all bought up scalpers will be all that is left. Some of the Smash characters are suffering from this, I remember one person with multiple Wii Fit Trainers and Rosalinas struggling to find Mario and Pikachu.

The Smash ones are doing well still it seems, I think they're just learning a harsh lesson on what does and doesn't work with amiibo; basically you can't whip up a whole line of them without having an actually good use or market for them first.

You can sort of see them learning with how a Star Fox line seemed to be inevitable and didn't happen and how the Kirby line is smaller and launching alongside an actual Kirby game.
Interestingly there was a transforming Arwing amiibo in the works but it was scrapped:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/May/Star-Fox-Zero-Dev-Team-Interview-Part-Two-1107887.html said:
Sao: So you mean it would be possible to make a plastic model of the Arwing and make it so it transforms into the Walker?

Miyamoto: Yes, definitely. Actually, we experimented with making an amiibo like that, but we were a little worried about whether its joints were sturdy enough, so we decided to hold off releasing it in the end.

Sao: Oh, that’s a real shame.

Miyamoto: Yes, I’m sad about it too. We worked really hard on it.
I speculate the moving parts make the safety too difficult to pass. Check out page 14 of the CSR report to see some Mario amiibo torture examples.

I already made an a house of tom nook amiibos.

All they need to do is make a proper Animal Crossing on NX for the Amiibos to be useful again.

sphinx

the piano man
First Nintendo produces like 1000 Little macs for all of America....

then they produce 1'000'000 tom nooks.....

Nintendo, I think you need to fire someone up there in the sales projection department.

Berordn

It's the whole market. Lego Dimensions is constantly marked down and Disney pulled out entirely.

Disney pulling out had more to do with the cost they poured into the base game, not necessarily sales. Lego Dimensions was just overpriced.

Skylanders seems to sell exceptionally well and the other amiibo lines seem to do alright.

Richie

What's nuts is that they went all out on Animal Crossing amiibo and aborted plans for a second wave of Mario Series amiibo (you can see in Mario Party 10 that they already had poses planned and everything), when the latter was by all means a much safer, much more lucrative bet.

Berordn

What's nuts is that they went all out on Animal Crossing amiibo and aborted plans for a second wave of Mario Series amiibo (you can see in Mario Party 10 that they already had poses planned and everything), when the latter was by all means a much safer, much more lucrative bet.

I'm still mad we never got that DK or Wario.

Neoxon

Is this the crash of the Amiibo craze?

Small wonder Nintendo did jack for these things. As soon as people realized they were only for collector's value.
It's just the Animal Crossing Amiibos. As stated in a previous thread, good games sell Amiibos, not the other way around. It's the reason why the Smash 4 & Splatoon lines of Amiibos are doing so well.

I think the good sales of Villager and the strength of the AC series in general made them overestimate an Animal Crossing line by a lot.

The characters and the designs they picked for those characters was weird at times as well. Whose going to buy an amiibo for random NPCs you barely ever see like that red otter lady or the alpacas.

Resetti and Nook aren't designed right either. Resetti should have been in the ground and looked angry, and Nook should've had his blue apron on.

A highly focused line of just Nook, Isabelle, Resetti, KK, Boy Villager and Girl Villager probably would have did alright. Stick to the popular, well known NPCs who have been in the series forever, or are already super popular like Isabelle.

Blathers for $5 is tempting. I can't believe they made amiibo for garbage characters like that dog and otter and both llamas but there's no Brewster.

I think the good sales of Villager and the strength of the AC series in general made them overestimate an Animal Crossing line by a lot.

The characters and the designs they picked for those characters was weird at times as well. Whose going to buy an amiibo for random NPCs you barely ever see like that red otter lady or the alpacas.

Resetti and Nook aren't designed right either. Resetti should have been in the ground and looked angry, and Nook should've had his blue apron on.

A highly focused line of just Nook, Isabelle, Resetti, KK and Kapp'n probably would have did alright. Stick to the popular, well known NPCs who have been in the series forever, or are already super popular like Isabelle.
Agree with all of this, especially the bolded. Although I'd swap out Blathers for Kapp'n. I bought the Nook one the last time it was $4, and looking at that ugly sweater right now is what's keeping me from biting on Blathers.

Balb

I don't know why they went all in on Animal Crossing. They've never put much effort into pushing individual characters in the series outside of a few, so I don't know what they were expecting.

And these things don't give you any bonus outside of animal crossing games, do they? Maybe if Nintendo made them smash bros characters and appear in Mario maker, mario party and mario kart they would have something going

And these things don't give you any bonus outside of animal crossing games, do they? Maybe if Nintendo made them smash bros characters and appear in Mario maker, mario party and mario kart they would have something going
They only work in one Animal Crossing game, the worst Animal Crossing game. They do work in Mario Maker.

Berordn

Some of them work for Mario Maker, but just a few.

Top Bottom