• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Nook Amiibo: $4 + Free Prime Shipping (USA)

A bunch of these kind of 2nd tier amiibo's have dropped to $4-8 at Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy, and Gamestop multiple times over the past few weeks. I think gamestop is still running a buy 2, get 3 free offer on all USED figurines.

I'm just really surprised it took this long, do people still camp out and stuff for new amiibo waves? Are there even any new waves?

They only work in one Animal Crossing game, the worst Animal Crossing game. They do work in Mario Maker.

They work in AC:Amiibo Festival, AC:Happy Home Designer, and a few in Super Mario Maker.
They went really overboard with them, made too many characters, over stocked them in stores, and the games they work with are either terrible (Amiibo Festival) or don't make good use of them at all (HHD) so what we're seeing here is a pretty predictable outcome.

Here's hoping they have some better functionality in the next Animal Crossing game, though. Scanning an Amiibo to make a desired villager move into your town would be ace.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I like how I still can't get a lot of the Amiibos I want but Nintendo managed to flood the market with this Animal Crossing shit and now they have to get rid of them with a fire sale.

GG Nintendo, keeping it real.

Draxal

A bunch of these kind of 2nd tier amiibo's have dropped to $4-8 at Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy, and Gamestop multiple times over the past few weeks. I think gamestop is still running a buy 2, get 3 free offer on all USED figurines.

I'm just really surprised it took this long, do people still camp out and stuff for new amiibo waves? Are there even any new waves?

It's been this way for a while, scalpers are out of the game, and they were really what caused this to happen in the first place.

Nothing been required to camp out except maybe mega yarn yoshi, all other stuff is preorderable without any hassle on amazon or bestbuy.

This.

The market for toys with games is crashing.

It really isn't perse. There were too many companies in the game, but Infinity was the market leader, it's just they had alot of issues with software development for that line in particular, and overstocked way too much. It's much better for a company to have too little stock than too much.

Lego's problem is that they compete with themselves both videogame wise and toy wise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had they actually put out a REAL Animal Crossing game for Wii U that used these, the sales would have been much, much better.

Draxal

Had they actually put out a REAL Animal Crossing game for Wii U that used these, the sales would have been much, much better.

And didn't realize 4 sets of blind pack cards, and released way too many figures about characters nobody cares about.

They offered way too much animal crossing stuff, and really had no meat behind it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, it seems that amiibo need good games to sell. They greatly overestimated the demand of the Animal Crossing line and Chibi Robo.

Shauni

The Smash stuff will done once Bayo, Cloud, and new FE guy who I can't remember is released, but there's still new amiibos being announced. A Kirby line just came out, a new Splatoon one is coming, and a Monster Hunter one just got announced. Amiibo is far from dead just because the Animal Crossing figures seemed to have flopped.

Draxal

The Smash stuff will done once Bayo, Cloud, and new FE guy who I can't remember is released, but there's still new amiibos being announced. A Kirby line just came out, a new Splatoon one is coming, and a Monster Hunter one just got announced. Amiibo is far from dead just because the Animal Crossing figures seemed to have flopped.

There is so going to be a Zelda line announced at E3 as well.

Richie

Putting out a Lucas Amiibo in a market that doesn't officially have Mother 3 wasn't a brilliant move.

For what it's worth, in the list of Amazon Best Sellers of 2016 (So Far), the Lucas amiibo sits at #51. Above the Ryu amiibo at that.

My guess is that, much like with the AC amiibo, the supply exceeded demand.

Neoxon

The Smash stuff will done once Bayo, Cloud, and Corrin is released, but there's still new amiibos being announced. A Kirby line just came out, a new Splatoon one is coming, and a Monster Hunter one just got announced. Amiibo is far from dead just because the Animal Crossing figures seemed to have flopped.
  1. FTFY
  2. With Smash 4's Amiibo line coming to a close & the Animal Crossing line flopping, I'm curious to see what will fill the void left by Smash 4.

Animal Crossing Amiibo's in my area are a joke. Just shelves full of all the same toys. Some stores even have buy 2 get 1 free of the same character.

Nintendo's amiibo stock priority is messed up, even Mario of all things, is becoming hard to find, but here we are with over 10 Isabelle amiibo on each shelf at most stores I go to.

Berordn

1. With Smash 4's Amiibo line coming to a close & the Animal Crossing line flopping, I'm curious to see what will fill the void left by Smash 4.

We might finally see the last few stragglers for the Mario line, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just double down on the Smash line and keep reprinting the rarer ones.

I own Kapp'n, Toom Nook, Mabel and Resetti and I don't think I have paid more than $5 for any of them. I don't even know why I bought them but I did.

Shauni

1. With Smash 4's Amiibo line coming to a close & the Animal Crossing line flopping, I'm curious to see what will fill the void left by Smash 4.

I think they'll pull back and start doing smaller lines of popular franchises. They are already starting this with the Kirby line (4 figures) and the new Splatoon (5 figures, 3 of which are recolors). I don't really foresee them doing a huge, mega line like Smash again. I think it caused too many issues, and this way will be way easier to manage. I think that's what amiibo will look for the foreseeable future.

Persona7

Banned
Dropping a ton of animal crossing amiibos was a huge mistake. Every store I go to has TONS of them and the stock never seems to change.

So how many bells is that?

Edit: full disclosure, I own all the animal crossing set plus the Smash Villager. Their a lot cheaper to collect and there's something nice about having a whole village, if you will, on your shelf. Plus I'm betting there will be good amiibo functionality with the next proper animal crossing.

I'm collecting Amiibos, but the Animal Crossing ones are just really low on my priority list for now. I'm not attached to the franchise at all.

On the other hand, this IS cheap...

KdC2kL6.jpg
Ummm so which ones Timmy and which is Tommy? Haha, this is probs the cutest amiibo.

edit: Fixed! It's so hard to post imgur links on a phone -_-;;

//ARCANUM

If it were Disney infinity, they would have cancelled animal crossing amiibo long before they could drop in price, you know, while they're still successful. :(
damn you Disney.

Top Bottom