• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 2*'s budget isn't larger than Tomb Raider's, is "next chapter" of story

I really enjoyed the game this year, I though it was up there with Uncharted 2 in that cinematic/action genre they inhabit.

Nixxes also did a great job on the PC port. I hope they stick around for the next one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TRr eboot is my worst game of 2013. it was dumped down, horrible pacing and story and heavy scripted and turned to a shooter fest later on. and it was just an insult for the series.

for the sequel they need to go back to what make TR the unique experience and bring what fans want from a TR game not what journalists or producers want.

You are crazy

Tomb Raider > The Last of Us DO YOU WANT TO FIGHT

RaikuHebi

Banned
Please be more like this:

polls_Tomb_Raider_2_Pal_0336_397920_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Danlord

I attended this show, was really fun experience for me and Brian did really well. He was sat in front of me before his talk and so was Warren Spector, so much of a fun day.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Curious as to whether they'll address the fan push for more exploration/tomb-raiding, or stick with the more linear, cinematic experience.

On that note, I wonder if Rihanna Pratchett will be making a comeback. If she does, hopefully the disconnect between not wanting to kill people, and actually having more kills than all of the other tomb raider games, is handled better in the narrative of the next game.

jmood88

Wow, I wasn't expecting them to announce a sequel so soon. I can't wait for the next one, even though the ending fights got extremely annoying, Tomb Raider was one of my favorite games this generation.

Aaron

Try not to make the story and characters total shit this time. I know the genre has low standards, but you really hit the cellar with that one.

Xav

I don't think well reasoned arguments about why the game is bad are "hating". Hating is when you hate something for no justifiable reason.

The game got a good amount of hate even before anyone had the chance to play it. Don't get me started on GAF's silly overreaction to the protection comment.

Anyway, more focus on raiding tombs with puzzles and less action would be my ideal sequel.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How much of the last one's budget was due to them developing a giant chunk of the game, scrapping it and starting over from scratch. I imagine just knowing what game they are making from the get go will reduce the development time dramatically.

sublimit

Banned
How much of the last one's budget was due to them developing a giant chunk of the game, scrapping it and starting over from scratch. I imagine just knowing what game they are making from the get go will reduce the development time dramatically.

Where did you heard that?

Goliath

I hope they're not spending more, clearly they spent a ton of money upfront to get their tools and engine up for the first game.

Exactly!! I am sure people will read into this and think that they aren't as confident in the next installment because he didn't brag about how much money they are throwing at it but in reality sequels are always cheaper to make and that's why devs invest in franchises as opposed to a stand alone game.

I am sure he didn't want to talk about the budget because they are spending less and people would spin it into something it's not because they lack understanding of the buisness.

Hindle

Banned
As long as Crystal is in charge you can forget about it.

They had three chances so far and they blew it in all three.

Yep.

I'm expecting even more scripted events for TR 2, on par with UC. Maybe entire chapters where we won't even be in control.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The original reboot had great production values, but it sucked as a game.

Stop trying to make it a movie with some really dumbed down gameplay tacked on. It's a game.

Goliath

Agreed. I really liked Lara, but her friends... ehh, not so much.

Yea but at least she had a worthwile crew this time that got SOME sort of development. (Mainly through reading the Journel entries). The previous games had her pretty much the only "developed" character with everyone else pretty forgetable.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the game was great according to pretty much everyone.
some people just need to feel special

yeah no, especially not fans of the series. and it's full of flaws (here is my full post on it) It was just not a good game, not good "cinematic adventure" game and and not a real Tomb Raider games.

I don't care if CD want to keep this crazy Lara with the sequel but what they should do is not trying to make a mish-mash of things again. make a real Tomb Raider game and you can still put you horrible "story" and robot-killer Lara on it.

RedSwirl

Wait so they're doing this AND the next-gen port of TR 2013?

Honestly I hope TR2 get's some major changes from the first game.

Goliath

The original reboot had great production values, but it sucked as a game.

Stop trying to make it a movie with some really dumbed down gameplay tacked on. It's a game.

It's gameplay was far from tacked on. Yea it had cinematics but so did the original games. It was a pretty fun game and I am not sure why people are so opposed to having elaborate stories in games. Yea the story is not deep and summer blockbuster quality but so is the franchise.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Dear Square Enix,

This game won't need an advertisement budget equal to or great than the development budget. Therefore you won't need to call a game that will sell millions of copies a failure if you keep the advertising modest and not overblown.

Sincerely,

An Accountant who should now return to his bookkeeping

It's ok. They will probably rerelease TR 2013 for next gen consoles and call it TR: For The Sequel :p That should help a bit with the budget.

I hope the story goes into the implications behind Lara becoming a nigh-immortal(I mean like Bakemonogatari-style pseudo-immortailty) killing machine. They could retcon it as
ancient Japanese magic cast on her when she was first unconscious at the beginning of the game

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a shame they are forced to build on the horrendous groundwork laid by the most recent game. What they need to do is throw all that away and start over, the worst reboot I've ever played.

Tomb Raider is about feeling like Indiana Jones, not graphically stabbing people in the eyeballs. They totally failed to understand why people liked the original games, the core of the game should always be based around platforming and puzzle-solving.

yesrushdt

Please be more like this:
polls_Tomb_Raider_2_Pal_0336_397920_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg
You beat me to it. :) The gameplay/level design/difficulty of the original Tomb Raider 2 with next gen graphics would be amazing. Sadly, it will probably never happen in today's gaming environment. All we can do is reflect back on how amazing the originals were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6U4IJ0UMw

I hate what Crystal Dynamics has done to the franchise. We can probably expect more of the same for the next title.

Gangxxter

I hope Lara will be more badass in the next game like in the old days. The very last scene of TR 2013 made at least hope that it will be that way.

Top Bottom