• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsigg12

Why are so many of us convinced of that? I remember in the PS3's early years, multiplatform games were absolute shart for the system. But it improved over the years and toward the end, there was parity.

Why are we so sure the Xbox One won't make similar strides down the line?

And I'm not saying it will! I'm just curious.

The PS3 was a piece of shit to develop for early on but had a lot of potential. It took a long time but devs finally figured out ways for their engines to be efficient with the platform and get the most out of it. The Xbox One is gimped from the start and will always be behind the PS4 regardless of how advanced APIs and the XDK get.

Silky

Banned
Don't you love how it looks? I'm looking forward to that game as well. Minus the beanie.

Deslin's Beanie is fucking cool and im not excited at all for Second Son. Our beanie wearing protagonists must be freed from their shackles

like seriously can you think of another protagonist that wears a beanie? Only one. Parappa.

VanWinkle

Why are so many of us convinced of that? I remember in the PS3's early years, multiplatform games were absolute shart for the system. But it improved over the years and toward the end, there was parity.

Its a different situation, though. Last gen, PS3 had a bizarre architecture that was hard for developers to get used to, compared to the PC-ike architecture of the 360. But because they were pretty similar power wise, developers were able to reach parity after a few years when they got used to the PS3's architecture. This gen, they both have similar architectures, only PS4 is quite a bit more powerful. There is no reason logically to EVER get a multiplatform title where the two versions are identical, unless the developer's are purposefully gimping the PS4 version.

CREMSteve

30 is perfectly playable, those with only an XB1 can still enjoy the game. This reminds me of how I played and enjoyed EA's sports titles on PS3, which ran at 30 for years before they finally managed parity with the 360 builds.

I took to Twitter to gloat, and Tim Dog's right hand man wasn't having it:

JxIS9t9.png

ZJoCqLP.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks that the XB1 is so underpowered compared to the PS4, but really, most people won't notice or care. Consoles have beat their more powerful rivals several times in the past. The XB1 being less powerful will result in 30,000 less sales at the very most.

I want to keep saying multiplatforms on the PS4 hit 60FPS in comparison to their 30FPS counterparts on the XBone now just to see the shitstorms happen now.

Now all I need is the PS4 versions of Destiny and the Crew to hit 60FPS and the XBone versions will only hit 30FPS and I'll just sit back and watch

This is some Ice Cold shit right here.

in all seriousness, thats great news for ps4 owners. at 30fps the improvements dont look that large over current gen, but i admit, if the x1 version was 60 it might tempt me to pick it up. i do find it interesting that we have a current gen port that runs at basically twice the framerate on ps4 vs x1 where it seems to me both should be able to hit 60. maybe a case of not bothering to optimize for the more difficult to program system?

How can you say it's poor optimization when the technically knowledgable people on here have been saying all along that there's a significant power gap?

CLEEK

The PS3 was a piece of shit to develop for early on but had a lot of potential. It took a long time but devs finally figured out ways for their engines to be efficient with the platform and get the most out of it. The Xbox One is gimped from the start and will always be behind the PS4 regardless of how advanced APIs and the XDK get.

PS3 = Diamond in the rough
Xbone = Polishing a turd

ramuh

I love beanies. Soo much that I'm getting the Collector's Edition to get the beanie. :p

There giving that away in a Collector's Edition? That's cool! I've always hated the items they usually give in those editions. It makes you wonder if it was like a barbie game collectors edition they would include some heels or a easy bake oven.

I don't know what that should tell me about the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition that was supposed to run at 20-25 fps.

Is there explanatory power in that image that would shed light on this game?

It tells you that even CPU bottle necked, the PS4 version will run at a higher frame rate.

If they are using GPGPU that's even less of a concern.

Technically the GPU should never be bottlenecked by the CPU on either console.

TyrantII

Nope. Probably should have! I'm guessing not though. Figured if it did that would be something they'd have already announced to encourage double dipping.

Yup, but these HD and updated titles are still new territory.

It was news to me (in the twitch video) that Scott Amos said that apparently the MP was running on some sort of middle-ware and that system was pulled out and they rebuilt it for the DE edition. I'm left wonder if it plays better and deals with latency better.

Montresor

30 is perfectly playable, those with only an XB1 can still enjoy the game. This reminds me of how I played as enjoyed EA's sports titles on PS3, which ran at 30 for years before they finally managed parity with the 360 builds.

Agreed. Obviously the PS4 is more powerful and moving forward we should expect it will have better-performing multi-platform games. I still think I'll enjoy Tomb Raider just fine on XB1.

Skilletor

Wasn't the first gen 7 Madden a similar situation? 60v30?

I couldn't say. That was a long time ago and I don't play Madden. But even so, let's say it was. That's two games where the framerate was 30/60 the entire generation. We're already getting ports where the resolution discrepancy is far larger than it ever was this generation, and now we've got a game where parity in resolution results in a crippled framerate.

jayu26

It sucks that the XB1 is so underpowered compared to the PS4, but really, most people won't notice or care. Consoles have beat their more powerful rivals several times in the past. The XB1 being less powerful will result in 30,000 less sales at the very most.

image.php

RE_Player

I find it amusing how happy this news makes some of you. Every time there's a proPS4/negative Xbone story, this place turns into one giant circle jerk.
I find that the majority of users in this thread are either making humorous posts from this news or are generally excited in that these stories can be early predictors for how the coming years will be for gaming.

Nothing harmful in my opinion.

HYDE

Banned
So stoked developers are no longer holding back their games with PS4, like they did with PS3's superior hardware.

fallagin

Well last gen the differences were alot more nebulous. It wasn't very clear how things would shake out because of the very different architectures. This gen we have machines that have very similar architectures, but one has A: more GPU performance and B: More bandwidth to main memory.

I'm sure that the gap will close a bit, but it is a fairly large gap to fill.

commedieu

Banned
So stoked developers are no longer holding back their games with PS4, like they did with PS3's superior hardware.
iBWthngEHllyO.gif

my fucking man.

We made it :)

I avoided this gen because I figured PS4's versions would be gimped to be equal. If this is the norm, i'll gladly bite come gt7... it made no sense that the PS3's exclusives ran circles around the 360, yet... multiplats were all the same.

Kuro

Good summary. I think few people expected such a performance gap just looking at the raw specs.

More than ever, the X1 has to get some great exclusives if it even wants to compete in the US.

They have Titanfall and Halo, seems like it will do great with dudebros in the US

So everybody already knows the PS4 is more powerful than the X1, and yet everyone still seems so blown away when a multi plat game is better on the PS4? Lol.. I don't get it.

Not really sure why either. Everyone has already known that the ps4 has better hardware. I think its funny that it makes people feel happy that the ps4 is stronger, at the end of the day its a game machine, not a way of life, or something that represents someone.

Mumford

I can't say I'm shocked at this news. I think this will all depend on the lead platform for each game. Below are the scenarios I imagine will happen in the future.

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on XB1 will be 1080p 60fps on PS4 (TR).

Games that are targeting 1080p 60fps on PS4 will be 720p 60fps on XB1 (CoD).

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on PS4 will be 900p 30fps on XB1 (ACIV).

Games targeting 1080p 30fps on both consoles will have less special effects on the XB1 version (NFS).

I'm curious to see if this holds up.
If this holds up that would be insane. Crazy to see the sheer power difference.

JordanN

Banned
It sucks that the XB1 is so underpowered compared to the PS4, but really, most people won't notice or care. Consoles have beat their more powerful rivals several times in the past.
Have they done so while being cheaper and launching at the same time?

There's always been a price and launch difference but PS4 is cheaper and came out first.

Do we really should be surprised by this?

Given the consoles specs is expected something like this to happen.

I will be surprised if the performace and/or graphics are the same.

Griss

I find it amusing how happy this news makes some of you. Every time there's a proPS4/negative Xbone story, this place turns into one giant circle jerk.

There is a ridiculous amount of schadenfreude with Xbox on here without doubt. I just think that it has been earned with Microsoft's terrible decisions in the last years of the 360 and with the launch of the XB1. It's not bias without reason, it's bias for very particular reasons. On top of that, some people just delight in a bit of controversy. It's always fun to have some fast moving thread full of jokes to jump into.

Those who deny that the forum currently slants pro-Sony are in denial, though. I'm fully pro-Sony so it doesn't bother me one bit, but I certainly notice it.

Soi-Fong

Uh.. Developers never held back. PS3 was just harder to develop for.

This generation it just so happens, the most powerful system is also the easier one to develop for.

I can't believe Microsoft let such a performance difference between the 2 machines slide.

Well, my decision is probably going to be pretty easy when it comes to buying a next gen console.

There was never this big of a power difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Because the PS3 was on paper more powerful than the 360, but it's architecture and tools were much further behind and the memory situation was worse on the PS3.

This time around the PS4 is not only easier to develop for and has more mature tools, it also is much more powerful and has a significant advantage in not only type of memory but by it being a unified pool. So while yes things will improve for the Xbone, things will only improve and possibly at a faster rate for the PS4.

Actually the RAM thing could become a big Achilles heel for the Xbone later in the cycle as more games with bigger worlds demand more. Remember Skyrim on the PS3, a game that came out in 2011, how'd that extra time help that version. Or BF3 for PS3 where mics would not work for months, plural. Imagine if things like that start to plague the Xbone later as well as performance differences, because it just might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom