• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeff

So much hearsay that I am going to be sceptical about this until we see some footage and a frame rate analysis.

From the OP:

Rocket Chainsaw have detailed performance and rendering quality of both the Xbox One and PlayStation builds of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. And for that we’re thankful. So here it is!

On average:
PlayStation 4 = 60 fps
Xbox One = 30 fps

DR3AM

1388244719973.gif

ethomaz

Banned
A new MEGATON... loved.

I missed that on GAF.

I will buy this version of the game because I missed it on PS3.

Putting in the quote and link that people will be expecting:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80168873#post80168873

Albert Penello said:
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

Oh wait. That last line... maybe he was telling the truth. It is obvious.

dzelly

I'd wager some of those same people will say "30 FPS is fine for a game like this though".

And people will be like "that isn't the point".

Oh yeah, the "This game is cinematic!" "It's not a twitch shooter!" "30 FPS is fine, you won't even SEE the difference!" incoming.

Fact is, you'll FEEL the difference.

But how does it run on the Nintendo Fusion?

I understand you're a mod and all, but this goes back to if sources are to be trusted, so excuse me if I'm a bit skeptical.

CLEEK

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80976649&postcount=718

Albert Penello said:
So at THIS point - I go talk to someone. "Hey, you helped design our system. You're a sr. technical leader at Microsoft. You're sitting with 3rd party developers right now who are working on both systems. Can you give me some points to help explain why nobody is seeing this rumored 50% delta"

2. If it comes out after we launch that the difference between 3rd party games is maybe single-digit FPS between the two platforms, will I get an apology or concession

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

Albert Penello said:
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

This is how this generation is going to play out for multiplatform titles, it seems. Either there'll be large frame rate differences or large visual differences.

QaaQer

I'm actually REALLY surprised the PS4 version is running at 60fps. I know it's TECHNICALLY cross-gen, but the game looks really graphically good with a huge amount of improvements.

Closed box. PC types dismiss it all the time, but Timothy Lottes says it offers huge performance advantages.

That's pretty much how I played it at launch due to poor Nvidia performance. It was perfectly fine, to be honest.

60fps is always preferred, of course.

Skeff

I'm actually REALLY surprised the PS4 version is running at 60fps. I know it's TECHNICALLY cross-gen, but the game looks really graphically good with a huge amount of improvements.

Yes, It's actually quite an achievement to get 60fps with , must surely be using TressFX 2.0, I believe with TressFX the PC version at 1080p on a 7850 would be 30-40fps?

MormaPope

Banned
Another Dev not putting effort in the Xbox One version? Color me surprised..... :/

The PS4 can handle all the visual upgrades and get 60 FPS due to it's own hardware, for the Xbone version to run at 60 FPS a lot of those visual upgrades have to be lessened. The Xbone isn't being neglected, framerate is being sacrificed for better visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom