• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just no dude, the Titan doesn't get 60 fps 100% of the time on Tomb Raider with everything cranked up sorry.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/645/bench/Ultimate_1680.png[IMG]

This benchmark isnt even on 1080p and it gets a min fps of 19. That's with FXAA on not even SSAA the better AA technique the game has...[/QUOTE]

That came from [URL="http://kotaku.com/5990848/tomb-raider-performance-test-graphics-and-cpus"]here[/URL], I guess?

[QUOTE]We're using Fraps to measure frame rates during 90 seconds of gameplay footage from Tomb Raider's first level, the checkpoint is called "Stun." The test begins with Lara running to escape from a cave system.[/QUOTE]

I tried to do the exact same spot myself with FRAPS, though I managed to make it to the cutscene in ~75 seconds from the checkpoint, so I must have started the benchmark too late or I really sped through that section.

Frames 7744
Time (ms) 75187
Min 48
Max 232 (I have no idea where this came from, maybe in the blank screen before the prerendered cutscene plays?)
Avg 102.997

That's with a GTX 770, which costs considerably less than a Titan. I tested it at the same 1680x1050 resolution and "Ultimate" graphics preset they used. At 1920x1080, I got an average framerate of 87.395.

The only thing I want to point out with this is that benchmark is out of date compared to the most up-to-date game version and GPU drivers.

Also, for the record, I think the PS4 version is a -great- deal vs running it on my [B]$1100[/B] PC.

ICKE

Banned
This is a joke post, right? Because if not, WTF.

Humor, coping mechanism of the weak willed. There are no jokes, only crystal clear pictures at 4k resolution.

Choose the PC, prepare yourself for true ascension.

I suppose even the fact that you had to ask the question says enough about the level of communication between different players

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes, but TR came on other platforms except one. I saw this as the main discussion is about PS4 and XB1, but because TR is on PC, 360 and PS3 we can compare them. The reason the Wii U is being discussed is because it has been left out.
The relevancy to he topic ends there. We have no barometer on how the WiiU version performs because it doesn't exist.

So yes, WiiU references can stay out of this. It doesn't matter in this thread.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm going to go in an area with very little geometry and look at a wall and then downwards. I will do this for 10 hours and then I will start playing the game.

That way my average frame rate will be 59fps on PS4 and 40fps on Xbone.

jet1911

Not really.

Most console peeps don't give two shits about PCs. It's PC people that come into threads about Tomb Raider wanting to tell all the console pleebs the "Definitive Edition" isn't really definitive because they played the game on their amazing PC at 60fps.

Of course when the facts come out, and the PS4 version actually runs at 60 as well, then some people take that opportunity to fire back.

But it all begins with the PC defense force. Not the other way around.

Works both ways, you have PS4 fans in this thread calling PCs obsolete and saying that the console is superior to PCs because of the price and things like that. Not that I really disagree with that mind you, I like my PS4 and I think it's a great machine. I still love my PC and all the advantages it brings too.

I just find it funny how some people would like to be left alone in their consoles threads arguing like if they were in a vacuum and there was nothing else around them.

Locked at 60?

If this thread gets locked it better be at page 60 lol

foxbeldin

I'm going to go in an area with very little geometry and look at a wall and then downwards. I will do this for 10 hours and then I will start playing the game.

Looks like you're in for a great gaming experience ^^

PC only crowd gets a free pass to port beg and shit up threads.

PC is obsolete by a piece of hardware with tablet specs because it's able to do 1080p. Laughable.

OrhQk.gif

hodgy100

The biggest irony is some of Microsofts (First and third party) biggest franchises have been 60FPS while most of Sonys best loved games (Bar GT) have struggled to Mantain a locked 30FPS.

what? the majority of sony's 1st party output has been pretty good with framerates and resolutions. most 1st party games use a full 720p framebuffer with some sort of anti alising and they tend to keep a consistent 30fps. im not saying this is the case for every sony game and yes there arent many 60fps 1st party titles bar GT but i cant name any more 1st party 360 titles that are 60fps apart from forza. most microsoft 1st party titles on the 360 are 30fps 720p aswell, what i found more glaring is that their biggest excusive ( Halo ) ran at sub 720p and was 30fps and yes there are similar games on ps3 ( Resistance 3 was 30fps and sub 720p the ratchet and clank games were sub 720p but are 60fps)

what a ridiculous statement.

KageMaru

This TR news really has me more annoyed at some of these other multiplatform games on next gen. For example, Need for Speed: Rivals. Runs at 1080p 30fps on both consoles, with a few extra effects on PS4. It really makes me wonder why some devs aren't pushing the PS4 version.

I imagine more often enough it'll come down to solid 30fps or an unstable 60fps. I think most devs would go for the more stable frame rate. PS4 versions should always be better but I don't think 2x better is a realistic expectation in all cases.

Semper88

thats how i used to play levels in surtain games that my pc couldnt handle.

hold sprint and look at the ground!

jelly

If 343 Industries can't squeeze something great that doesn't have obvious quality flaws out of Xbox One, Microsoft have sunk the ship.

Forza 5 hit the bullet points but look any deeper and it's very ropey.

geordiemp

Works both ways, you have PS4 fans in this thread calling PCs obsolete and saying that the console is superior to PCs because of the price and things like that. Not that I really disagree with that mind you, I like my PS4 and I think it's a great machine. I still love my PC and all the advantages it brings too.

I just find it funny how some people would like to be left alone in their consoles threads arguing like if they were in a vacuum and there was nothing else around them.

He did not call PC's Obsolete - its just that PC experience is not relevant to some console players and this thread.

Smokey

What is you point, coming into a console thread to tell everyone you played the game at better settings ?????

How is it relevant, and why do PC players ALWAYS do this on console comparison threads.

Do you think we are impressed ?

Does it add to the discussion ?

Do you think we want to run out and build a gaming rig ?

Or do PC players like to show off their specs (my GPU is bigger) ?

Its afternoon where I am - do you think we all live in USA ?

Did you miss the original quote where dude said fucking gaming pcs are obselete because of ps4 or are you just going to pretend that I decided to respond to thin air? Does what he said some how enlighten this already pathetic thread? No.

BibiMaghoo

Who said that? I cannot believe such a statement was made by anyone. That is delusional.

geordiemp

Did you miss the original quote where dude said fucking gaming pcs are obselete because of ps4 or are just going to pretend that I decided to respond to this air

Read back a few pages - yes I did miss the post you replied to, as you missed my apology.

You see, it is easy to miss posts, especially quick threads like this.

No need to swear or be aggressive though. Play nice

jaypah

whats confusing about it ?

Well, you say "we can have it all" in regards to 1080/60 and standard controller/hardware. But looking at the 8 retail PS4 games I bought, half of them don't run at 60 and one of them (BF4) isn't 1080. So that couldn't be what you meant, hence me being confused. I think it's just too early and I'm not putting it together.

ClearData

If someone could provide some clarity I'd like to know if the features being touted in the definitive edition have mostly been present in the PC version. I'd like my console bound brothers to play this game in its best incarnation. But I think I am better serving them by gifting them the PC version on Steam, even if they won't have gaming PCs for a few months yet, rather than opting for the PS4 version.

pixlexic

Banned
This appears to be this poster's modus operandi. See for example:

You take one sentence out if context to make a point about a hypothetical situation we were discussing ?

See that is what's wrong with some people here. There is no discussion it's all " omg! Omg! Extreme !!"

So my two conversations in this thread

1. Would it have been better for the xbone version to be 900p.

2. The ps4 version was obviously held back ( parity) because the graphics are identical.

Those some how mean I am all against the ps4 and I get attacked for being so?
I would say those are pro ps4.

Seriously some one help me understand here!

Did you miss the original quote where dude said fucking gaming pcs are obselete because of ps4 or are just going to pretend that I decided to respond to this air? Does what he said some how enlighten this already pathetic thread? No.

And of course you didn't go back and look.. That would require 10 second of clicking the quote icon next to a message.

So naturally your response is to go full dumbass in the complete opposite direction

Between what he said (PCs are obsolete) and what you said (PS4/XBone are tablet spec'd), you both win!

BE, AGGRESSIVE, BE BE AGGRESSIVE

Jobbs

Banned
I have the game on PC. My PC can run it at 60 with everything turned on (though, if tress is on, it regularly dips below 60).

I still want the PS4 version. I have no desire to wave my dick. I just like consoles. I like the uniformity. Just because.

I think this revelation is pretty big. We can argue 900p vs. 1080p or whatever the case may be, but when you're talking 30fps vs 60fps -- That's when shit starts getting real. I wonder if this is going to be the norm for multiplats.

jet1911

He did not call PC's Obsolete - its just that PC experience is not relevant to some console players and this thread.

I have no problems with that. I mean I played AC4 on my PS4 because it would have run like shit on my PC so I understand the sentiment. But the butthurt over people preffering one platform over the other, and making their preference know, is still funny to me. Anyway these kind of comparison thread always turn bad. Always.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i didn't say pc's were made obselete, i said gaming pcs pretty much are

the value proposition just isn't there - dropping a grand on a pc & then upgrading it every few years vs a $400 box that runs games (exclusives & multiplats) in 1080/60 is a no brainer

obviously i'll still need a pc for work/coding/etc

Did you miss the original quote where dude said fucking gaming pcs are obselete because of ps4 or are you just going to pretend that I decided to respond to thin air? Does what he said some how enlighten this already pathetic thread? No.

woah dude, calm doqn

Threi

notag
but yeah you have to have some empathy though, its not very nice to shit up a thread discussing PC when someone just wants to come in and harmlessly shit on XB1. Maybe mods should indeed lock this thread due to this borderline e-bullying by the PC-crowd. Leaving this thread open can have severe psychological repercussions if people aren't allowed to laugh at gifs and make xbone jokes.

fade_

That came from here, I guess?

I tried to do the exact same spot myself with FRAPS, though I managed to make it to the cutscene in ~75 seconds from the checkpoint, so I must have started the benchmark too late or I really sped through that section.

Frames 7744
Time (ms) 75187
Min 48
Max 232 (I have no idea where this came from, maybe in the blank screen before the prerendered cutscene plays?)
Avg 102.997

That's with a GTX 770, which costs considerably less than a Titan. I tested it at the same 1680x1050 resolution and "Ultimate" graphics preset they used. At 1920x1080, I got an average framerate of 87.395.

The only thing I want to point out with this is that benchmark is out of date compared to the most up-to-date game version and GPU drivers.

Also, for the record, I think the PS4 version is a -great- deal vs running it on my $1100 PC.

My original point was to rebuff those saying that the PS4 doesn't play at a steady 60fps all the time as if that is a knock against it. Even a Titan has a min fps of lower than 60 especially with tressfx on. Granted the console versions are using a less demanding version of tressfx but all I was trying to say is that considering the hardware the performance is pretty impressive. Obviously a decent gaming PC will run laps around it. I have both so I don't really have a stake in it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I wonder if this is going to be the norm for multiplats.

I honestly can't see that being the case. It's literally making one version of the game play much better than the other and seriously pissing off Microsoft.

Then again, I said the same thing about this game a month ago...

Smokey

Read back a few pages - yes I did miss the post you replied to, as you missed my apology.

You see, it is easy to miss posts, especially quick threads like this.

No need to swear or be aggressive though. Play
nice

Fair enough.

Most of the time PC players don't just wade in and say things. Other times when a ridiculous statement such as ps4 making gaming pcs obselete is made, it deserves ridicule for the stupidity of the comment.

Gumbie

I love when people completely dismiss ps4 hardware as "tablet specs". Please show me this magic tablet that has a custom 8 core apu with a full 7870 on the silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom