• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - New Info and More Coming - 100,000 Facebook Likes For A Teaser

Apart from Tomb Raider looking awesome the only thing I want to add is that Hobby Cosolas is on of the worst videogame magazines ever, with his sister magazine Nintendo Accion being the worst. And Im seeing by the cover they are celebrating 20 years.
20 years of shitty videogame coverage (maybe the first years were somewhat good), never the less spanish videogame print press is horrible.

Fuck that cover, why do we need so many letters around it.
miladesn said:
Cover art from Spanish Mag Hobby Consolas, (taken by Tomb Raider Forum), is out today.

img024phrfp.jpg

Riposte

GUIA YAKUZA 4

Also if you make your female character have smaller breasts people will automatically think they are deeper characters. (Hence people disappointed about the boob size. They want sophisticated characters with As)

Grisby

To be fair her breasts look smaller in the scans (er first time I've ever typed something like that) and those scans look good.

At least they gave a good poster
EDIT: It was posted on the other page.

The screens in the scan look INCREDIBLE. And yeah, seems to have smaller boobs ingame. Possibly the artist that made the concept art made them a little bigger without noticing, or it could be because of the perspective and that sheis pressing on them.

StevePharma said:
User Underhoe from the TR-forums hooks us up with a cleaned version (Will remove if necessary, not sure)

larahobbyposter0rh2.jpg

I really was only talking about how spanish videogame magazines have cluttered covers to the max with shitty info, but the poster cleaned looks awesome, so thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scans look great. Cant wait to see it in motion.

Eccocid said:
This game is so ambitious and different from other TR games....Just like Angel of Darkness......

No...just no. People should get caught up on the disastrous history of AoD

Significantly, Heath-Smith had to present the game at a buyers’ conference several months before the game was released. It was an agonising experience both for the man himself and those attending. "It was the worst opening level to any game,” an anonymous source tells Edge. “I had to sit through Jeremy Heath-Smith cursing through it while attempting to get Lara on top of a bin. It was unusual behaviour at a buyers’ conference to say the least.”

But this is the end of the story; its beginning is equally gruesome. By all accounts, The Angel Of Darkness was in trouble from the very start. A new team was assigned to the next-gen Lara game while the experienced Tomb Raider stalwarts continued to plug away at Tomb Raider: Chronicles, the last of Eidos’ annual Tomb Raider hits on PS1.After completing Chronicles at the back end of 2000, lead programmer Richard Morton moved over to Angel Of Darkness, and he was shocked at what he found. “The tech had to be completely rewritten from PS1 to PS2 and scrapped again when the Chronicles team started on the game,” he explains. “We lost the first year due to Chronicles and only had the basic story, character models and concept art.”

It's a classic tale of hubris, with Core’s senior management boasting of innovative features to the press while the artists and programmers tried to keep up with the grand design. “The phrase ‘too many cooks spoil the broth’ springs to mind,” continues Morton. “This, coupled with the management trying to cram every new game idea into the design – stealth from Metal Gear, character interaction from Shenmue, upgradeable attributes from RPG games, and so on. Instead of letting the team make a really great Tomb Raider game.”

“It was only when we’d been in development for a while that we realised the world wasn’t ready for episodic games,” adds Morton. “We decided to concentrate on the first part as one boxed game, but even this proved too big a task for us with the time we had. Originally The Angel Of Darkness had four distinct locations: Paris, Castle Kriegler in Germany, Prague and Cappadocia in Turkey. We decided to cut to two, Paris and Prague, leaving Castle Kriegler in Germany and Cappadocia in Turkey as the two main locations to a proposed sequel, The Lost Dominion.” Practically cutting the game in half midway through its development had a deleterious effect on the team’s morale and the end product felt disjointed. Players complained that plot inconsistencies, characters, clues and levels felt tagged on or made no sense in the overarching plot.

Many of the press-friendly features brainstormed into the original design were also curtailed. Lara’s ‘RPG’ skill power-ups felt tagged on, and her stealth moves appeared limp next to those of Sam Fisher or Solid Snake. Indeed, Core planned to spawn a new franchise out of Lara’s new sidekick, Kurtis Trent, but many of his abilities ended up in the bin.

“There was a lot of material that got cut and changed; the whole process was one of slash and patch, right up to the latest possible moments before release,” recalls Schofield. “There were things that got left so late that their final omission left the game badly crippled, and I mourn them. One example was the range of hero abilities planned for Kurtis. He ended up as such a thin, emasculated version of the character we planned in the early stages of development that I could have wept. I may actually have done so.”

The story that emerges from Angel Of Darkness’ ashes is a bleak one, with members of Core’s staff leaving due to the constant changes in direction and an upper management unwilling to listen. “We weren’t able to fully control the game as a team and there were far too many chiefs,” concludes Morton. “As a result, the game lost direction. It was also technically a nightmare with some editors only coming online in the last eight months of development. We didn’t have full character control in until a year before the game’s completion – we’d been in development for ages before then.”

The game that eventually emerged was beset by bugs and felt disjointed in the extreme. The situation wasn’t helped by Eidos facing financial troubles. An ex-Eidos employee tells us that by March 2003 the game had already been submitted eight times to Sony and was eventually rushed out to hit the April 1 accounting deadline. Core wanted more time to polish the game, but another delay could have tipped the publisher over the edge.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/the-making-of-tomb-raider-the-angel-of-darkness

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StevePharma said:
User Underhoe from the TR-forums hooks us up with a cleaned version (Will remove if necessary, not sure)

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7378/larahobbyposter.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Posters are totally fine.

Though, I did edit the hosting on your image so we don't get frogs.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
At least they gave a good poster
EDIT: It was posted on the other page.

The screens in the scan look INCREDIBLE. And yeah, seems to have smaller boobs ingame. Possibly the artist that made the concept art made them a little bigger without noticing, or it could be because of the perspective and that sheis pressing on them.
Concept arts come way before the game models are created. I'm sure they were going with big boob Lara as she always has them buy somewhere down the game realized it's too 'distracting' and that people are sick of stereotyping woman in gaming.

I'm sure it was Squeenix who mustve insisted on small breasts since it's their job to sexualize a woman, not Eidos :p

kylej

Banned
Day one. Actually I will break into the production facility and steal a disc as it is being pressed and then fly to a secluded island and re-enact the events of the game then fly home and play the game before anyone else.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Apart from Tomb Raider looking awesome the only thing I want to add is that Hobby Cosolas is on of the worst videogame magazines ever, with his sister magazine Nintendo Accion being the worst. And Im seeing by the cover they are celebrating 20 years.
20 years of shitty videogame coverage (maybe the first years were somewhat good), never the less spanish videogame print press is horrible.

Fuck that cover, why do we need so many letters around it.

Makes me wonder why they got exclusive (?) new details on this game then.

hiryu

Woah, looks really good. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the PS1 era but this looks really interesting.

Ponti

Enjoyed the three most recent ones, even Underworld. Can't wait for this. Tomb Raider and Uncharted mmmm.

Making her swing, we have to make her approach a torch to put her on fire. That way, her ties will burn and she will be released, but at the same time she gets burn as well. You see: you have to make her have a bad time to get out of the situation. But the problems haven't ended. Just after getting released, Lara falls over a bar of iron which punctures her in her side. With the face deformed by the pain, the young girl has to put it out rudely

This made me laugh. It just sounds so slapstick.

Just saw the scans, looks great. Was afraid the new Lara wouldn't look the same, but nope she looks more or less as she should.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
lol damn, I looked too quickly and thought she was missing her left forearm in the cover. Really looking forward to gameplay videos, it sounds promising.

daffy

Banned
The Praiseworthy said:
Oh wow... the new Info are such a turn on!

after all this a gameplay trailer at E3 won't do any good.... i want a full playable demo there.
Srsly, maybe Sony/Microsoft will do a walkthrough for their conference :eek:

I think this is the very first time I've ever been hyped for a TR game, but the details pertaining to what the game is inspired by really intrigue me. I'm loving the new Lara redesign and the gritty look to the game too. It's great that Uncharted has given CD a kick in the pants. Really looking forward to some footage now.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Buying Eidos helped. I'm really glad Square-Enix's money is getting pumped into Eidos' IPs.

Yeah as long as they keep their people and style out of the games then I don't see a bad thing at all. More money is always better.

Stallion Free said:
"It's great that Uncharted has given Crystal Dynamics a kick in the pants."

It's developed by CD right? In the OP, it states that the game is inspired by Uncharted to some degree and will feature crazy scenarios similar to the ones found in UC. I think it's reasonable to state that the game is to some degree, a reactionary product to UC, which took elements of TR and refined and expanded on them to a vey successful degree.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stallion Free said:
Well, one of the guys from CD did say in an interview that they were pressured by other games and current gaming climate to heavily reinvent the game, or let it die. Something along those lines anyway

Amir0x said:
Man, I don't know about this game. I hope the whole game is one massive tomb to raid. I'm not sure who requested this shit in a Tomb Raider game but I have to have some optimism after Lara Croft.
Yeah, that whole thing about buying skills reminds me of the worst parts of AoD where you had to do random things to learn new or expand skills you already had. Also teleporting between locations and back to camp etc. Those were some of the things that I remember from before giving me reservations about this game.

Ponti

Lord Error said:
Well, one of the guys from CD did say in an interview that they were pressured by other games and current gaming climate to heavily reinvent the game, or let it die. Something along those lines anyway
And they'd be right. Being pushed to change based on Uncharted is a good thing.

Though if they bum this up it'll likely be the end of TR.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hope that pressure isn't making them turn TR into a 3rd person shooter with even simpler platforming and mind bogglingly easy puzzles. That would be a real kick in the pants for the fans of TR.

Top Bottom