• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - New Info and More Coming - 100,000 Facebook Likes For A Teaser

TekkenMaster said:
I sure hope so...that's what the articles that came out in December 2010 said.

I'm expecting it to be delayed. They're still mentioning that it's early in development which isn't a good sign. Eidos was smart with how they handled Arkham Asylum so I hope they treat this TR the same way. Don't release it until it's done and make sure to give it a window where it can get the attention that it deserves.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm expecting it to be delayed. They're still mentioning that it's early in development which isn't a good sign. Eidos was smart with how they handled Arkham Asylum so I hope they treat this TR the same way. Don't release it until it's done and make sure to give it a window where it can get the attention that it deserves.

Agreed. Man... if it turns out to be as good Arkham Asylum, mind=blown

Ponti

Google Translate on some new bits from the French mag:

- As stated by Scrat, the adventure will be divided into three major sections corresponding to the 3 phases of the evolution of Lara in his initiation: survival, rescue, escape.
- The article stresses that the physics engine the game uses mainly the laws of gravity, centrifugal force ... To allow Lara to reach his goals.
- The cutscenes and the game fit perfectly and are linked together without snap.
- The pain of Lara is accentuated by the effects of staging (close-ups, tighter camera angles, motion blur ...).
- Lara's character changes during the game one young woman inexperienced and impressionable, it will evolve gradually towards a more mature and adventurous determined, which will be felt in its equipment (the section does not the possibility that the two appear 9mm) and its aftershocks.
- The survival instinct that highlights the decorative elements that can help Lara can only be used when stationary.
- The puzzles based on the laws of physics, there are often several ways to solve them, and above all, no panacea: it is sometimes necessary to try several times to make it work because the laws of physics are random, the while adding a part of "improvisation" on the part of the player who has to do with what he has to move forward. Finally, the article states that despite the aid, the puzzles are not that easy to solve in the heat of the moment.
- Statues of Buddha appear several times in the game .. Their usefulness is unknown at this time.
- Some elements of the set collapsing under the weight of Lara.

Cover art is the same.

y07h3.jpg

Salsa

- The puzzles based on the laws of physics, there are often several ways to solve them, and above all, no panacea: it is sometimes necessary to try several times to make it work because the laws of physics are random, the while adding a part of "improvisation" on the part of the player who has to do with what he has to move forward. Finally, the article states that despite the aid, the puzzles are not that easy to solve in the heat of the moment.

wat

Salaadin

Ponti said:
Google Translate on some new bits from the French mag:

- As stated by Scrat, the adventure will be divided into three major sections corresponding to the 3 phases of the evolution of Lara in his initiation: survival, rescue, escape.
- The article stresses that the physics engine the game uses mainly the laws of gravity, centrifugal force ... To allow Lara to reach his goals.
- The cutscenes and the game fit perfectly and are linked together without snap.
- The pain of Lara is accentuated by the effects of staging (close-ups, tighter camera angles, motion blur ...).
- Lara's character changes during the game one young woman inexperienced and impressionable, it will evolve gradually towards a more mature and adventurous determined, which will be felt in its equipment (the section does not the possibility that the two appear 9mm) and its aftershocks.
- The survival instinct that highlights the decorative elements that can help Lara can only be used when stationary.
- Statues of Buddha appear several times in the game .. Their usefulness is unknown at this time.
- Some elements of the set collapsing under the weight of Lara.

Sounds good. Bolded part made me laugh. Buddha? Game of the decade!

Ponti

SalsaShark said:
I THINK what it's trying to say is that the puzzles will be harder, mostly physics based and will have little to no hand holding. Though it does say 'no panacea' then mentions 'despite the aid' so I dunno which it is.

Ponti said:
I THINK what it's trying to say is that the puzzles will be harder, mostly physics based and will have little to no hand holding. Though it does say 'no panacea' then mentions 'despite the aid' so I dunno which it is.

Yeah, that's what was explained in Game Informer. They said that the chances of running into your typical TR puzzle (like a room with a bunch of gears) is much smaller in this game. Instead the world is built around real world physics. Stuff will react the way you expect them to which means that you're going to have a lot of different ways to accomplish puzzles instead of a specific way.

Salsa

Ponti said:

The "try a bunch of times" thing sounds.. weird.

Im all for physics and whatnot, but i hope its not trial and error

Ponti

jbttwin said:
What's wrong with trial and error? Challenges are fun.
Fumbling your way through a challenge isn't very rewarding. Curious to see how these puzzles will actually work.

Ponti

Speaking of NAG they're doing some TR stuff as well...

Bdpn4.jpg

That awesome cover pic is doing it's rounds.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So... we're getting an E3 trailer of this, right?
Nothing is confirmed but it's a safe bet.

eso76

looks and sounds very interesting, plus i love this lara.
i dont dare to wish it matches the greatness and atmosphere of the first tr, but could be a very good game.

Grisby

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So... we're getting an E3 trailer of this, right?

I'd like some gameplay but you know what? This is one of those rare times I think it would be neat to see a CG trailer ala Deus Ex. It could be quite spectacular, seeing as how Edios is in bed with SquareEnix now.

daffy

Banned
Ponti said:
I didn't like the logo either, did a quick shop job.
ahhhh thank you so much!!! :D :D :D

SolidSnakex said:
At the very least we'll be getting a trailer at E3. CD have already said that they have big plans for that show.
Didn't know they said this. I really really really think they'll be at one of the conferences, Sony maybe

jbttwin said:
New scans from a french mag up on TRF. Few new shots.

Just saw them!

I’ve said it a hundred times already but I’ll say it again....Lara looks fantastic! <3

Can not wait for E3! This is gonna be a big ‘wow’ game. Bring on more goodness!

Go_Ly_Dow

Grisby said:
I'd like some gameplay but you know what? This is one of those rare times I think it would be neat to see a CG trailer ala Deus Ex. It could be quite spectacular, seeing as how Edios is in bed with SquareEnix now.

Same.

S-E's Japan visual works studio (FF/KH CGI) were the ones behind the Deus Ex CG, I believe.

Maybe a trailer like that before E3 and then a gameplay trailer at E3.

jbttwin

NAG scans are out. Nothing new, but it's written in english.

Key points (mostly nothing gameplay related):
  1. Her mentor Roth weilds dual pistols
  2. Lara says "shit" alot
  3. Certain areas of the island will be blocked until Lara's abilities have improved
  4. They're creating multiple paths to get to one destination
  5. Cutscenes are cinematically mocapped, but Lara's in game animations are hand animated
  6. Lara worked in a pub before going on the expedition (weird)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jbttwin said:

1. Cutscenes are cinematically mocapped, but Lara's in game animations are hand animated
Great move on their part. Hand animation looked a lot better in Legend/Anniversary then mo-capping did in Underworld.

xclaw

It's probably just the bow but I'm getting a Turok vibe from that cover art. In a good way. Very curious to see how this version plays out.

jbttwin said:

1. Her mentor Roth weilds dual pistols
    [*]Lara says "shit" alot
  2. Certain areas of the island will be blocked until Lara's abilities have improved
  3. They're creating multiple paths to get to one destination
  4. Cutscenes are cinematically mocapped, but Lara's in game animations are hand animated
    [*]Lara worked in a pub before going on the expedition (weird)

So are they "Americanizing" her to some swearing Coyote Ugly girl? I hope not. British posh Lara doesn't need to work in a pub. I guess an appearance of the Mansion will be an uncertainty as well

Stallion Free said:
Great move on their part. Hand animation looked a lot better in Legend/Anniversary then mo-capping did in Underworld.

Yeah, I remember them making a big deal out of the mo-capping that they were doing for her in Underworld.

They also mentioned that they're doing a layering animation system (like in Uncharted). The magazine describes her movements as somewhat awkward (not in the sense that they're bad but that she's not as skilled as she once was) but CD points out that as you progress in the game she'll become more skilled and her animations will show that.

jbttwin

I don't think it's exactly that. It's probably them making her character look like she wants to be independent instead of living off her parents (she was in college), and I'm not sure where the cussing thing comes from. It's weird, but we'll see how it's used.

That was to StevePharma btw

UrbanRats

Stallion Free said:
I liked underworld's better, but they were too disjointed from one another.

So are they "Americanizing" her to some swearing Coyote Ugly girl? I hope not. British posh Lara doesn't need to work in a pub. I guess an appearance of the Mansion will be an uncertainty as well
I'm guessing that, if I was stuck on a remote island full of stuff waiting to kill me, i'd be cursing a lot, too.
Plus they want to make it more visceral and real, right? So that's a given.

Suairyu

Banned
StevePharma said:
Clearly you've never had contact with posh British birds. In my experience, they mostly act like well-spoken Essex lasses. I love hearing swear words coming from a posh bird's mouth. Sounds so good.

As for the pub bit? Eh, she went through uni, right? Even if she could afford not to, it is a part of the student experience to work at some dodgy student bar.

StevePharma said:

The only things that this Lara seems to have in common with the old one is that she's British and she was born into a rich family. Even both of her parents appear to be alive.

Top Bottom