• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered just quietly censored one in-game detail after most recent patch

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Update:

geUVIYD.jpeg

Mfxr6RL.jpeg

Original story:

Before

vB3RtXZ.jpeg

After

SrEpUNW.jpeg

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered players are ticked off by the game’s most recent patch, which censors in-game pin-up posters of Lara Croft.

Unfortunately, the most recent patch for the game has caused quite a stir, as amongst some routine bug fixes and performance enhancements, it’s also removed in-game content.

Twitter user Smash JT posted screenshots of the game before and after the patch, saying: “Crystal Dynamics censored out the pics of Lara in the update on Tomb Raider.”

The pictures in question are lewd pin-up posters of the protagonist Lara Croft, which can be found in the fourth level of the third game.

One player called it a “huge problem with modern games,” saying they can now be “ruined AFTER people buy them”.

Another player called it “turbo cringe,” going on to say, “These people have the job of sucking whatever fun and nostalgia they can out of their supposedly fun product. It's so weird and disheartening.”

Jessica Chastain Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

the great indoors roland GIF by CBS

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Really makes me only want to support Japanese games at this point. I'm sorry but all Western entertainment is going this way. None of it is immune unless it's indie stuff, perhaps.

Last edited:

jcorb

Pretty lame. It's funny to me, that they're trying to redefine Lara Croft as a gaming icon *after* the fact she was hugely popular, at least in part, from her sex appeal.

I'm all for moving forward in a new direction if that's what the devs want, but seems sketchy to try and erase content from the past. That's some real 1984 shit.

Aenima

Its kinda sad that they are actually erasing Tomb Raider history as those posters was used as ads in magazines back when the original games came out.

Here is one of the posters as an ad for TR3 in a french magazine.

nsfw-tomb-raider-iii-ad-in-an-old-french-magazine-its-even-v0-976t44nru5sb1.jpg

Western videogames idunstry became so so fragile.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that some here say "who cares".

Where does it end? Who gets too decide what history to erase and what to leave behind?

And why do you care if others complaint? Because it doesn't bother you? What happens when they decide to change something you care about? Will you still just accept it and not say anything?

Atrus

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure they were both part of ads back in the day. I wonder what goes through the head of a person that thinks they should remove these things from media retroactively.

At least you can just add them back in on PC alongside the standard nude mods that the series is known for.

WoJ

I can still emulate the orginals and nor worry about crap like this. The all digital future some people root for sucks.

Reactions: Isa

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Another Crystal Dynamics contribution to Aspyrs brilliant work.
CD probably denied a physical release just so they could fuck with the game afterwards like they doing.
Can they please give the franchise to Aspyr and fuck CD off to Microsoft so they can shut them down in year.

Hardensoul

Its kinda sad that they are actually erasing Tomb Raider history as those posters was used as ads in magazines back when the original games came out.

Here is one of the posters as an ad for TR3 in a french magazine.

nsfw-tomb-raider-iii-ad-in-an-old-french-magazine-its-even-v0-976t44nru5sb1.jpg

Western videogames idunstry became so so fragile.
Lara is no longer a Tomb Raider, according to recent new board games. That were approved by Crystal Dynamics.

They’ll totally changing her story in future games.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
These games are old piles of shit at this point and really the only thing that would get me to even consider them would be if there was major sex appeal from the main character. This is a HARD pass.

Fredrik

I'm surprised to see that some here say "who cares".

Where does it end? Who gets too decide what history to erase and what to leave behind?

And why do you care if others complaint? Because it doesn't bother you? What happens when they decide to change something you care about? Will you still just accept it and not say anything?
Yeah, let’s patch out the blood and gore from Mortal Kombat or TLOU2. Who cares, right?

Anyway this game wasn’t made by Crystal Dynamics but this patch was 100% pushed out from them. Means the Tomb Raider and Lara Croft we know and love from the past is definitely dead now. Next one will likely be standard western boring AAA woke nonsense, flat-chested lesbian muscle bod jeans and shirt Lara or something like that. They will have to ignite my interest anew for me as an old fan to care going forward. Once it’s just Nathan with a ponytail I’d rather just play Uncharted.

Last edited:

wipeout364

It’s sad because crystal dynamics used to be one of my favorite developers. Their recent activity has made me reconsider if I am interested in any further games by them. The marvel game was terrible and the creative direction they have leaked so far on this project completely misses the essence of Lara Croft.

I suspect that most of the team that made the tomb Raider games and legacy of Kain games are long gone.

I want the sexy ass kicking Lara, who is out for adventure, profits, and loves archeology. I certainly don’t want far left liberal Lara bringing social Justice to the masses.

Top Bottom