• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tonight, for the first time, you can play Capcom's first CPS3 fighter at home

ManaByte

At midnight EST tonight (9pm PST), the Capcom Fighter Collection releases and brings with it the FIRST EVER home console release of the first CPS3 game: Red Earth (War-Zard).

Never released on the PlayStation or Saturn, or the PS2, the game has a reputation of being Capcom's long-lost fighter:

The collection also includes the Darkstalker games, including the first ever releases of Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Savior 2 outside of Japan. It's absolutely worth the $40.

SkylineRKR

I didn't care much for it but its nice that its finally legally playable on consoles. I buy the collection for Vampire Savior and Hunter though.

93xfan

Banned
Excited, but not as excited as I was for the Street Fighter collection, so I’ll be waiting for a sale

zweifuss

It's honestly not such a great game in my opinion. More of a novelty than anything. I find the controls wonky and it does too much of that zooming effect. It just didn't resonate with me like the SFiii series.

A.Romero

I like it but it's not a great game. It doesn't have deep gameplay nor a lot of replayability.

Keep the hype in check. The excitement wears off 20 minutes in.

SkylineRKR

I like it but it's not a great game. It doesn't have deep gameplay nor a lot of replayability.

Keep the hype in check. The excitement wears off 20 minutes in.

This. Its pretty much a boss rush game, a very short one at that. I beat the story mode a few times, it takes like 15 minutes. And its VS mode feels tacked on with only 4 or so characters to choose from. Its so shallow that I was never surprised it didn't get a home release. Capcom could've done it, if they created a meaty story mode for it. But this probably wasn't worth it to do so.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My biggest gripe with this is how many friggin Darkstalkers games does someone need? I own 3, Vampire Savior, and Resurrection. The puzzle fighters are a novelty game and if you aren’t sure of how to show off, what’s the point? They’re great to own, but how long till a collection comes out that’s been in high demand for years? I did preload on Switch. I’m just a tad annoyed at how bulky they made this with one franchise. How does someone know to switch Darkstalkers games for a different experience? It’s 1/2 DarkStalkers collection and the other 1/2 random fighters and a never before released ROM of a niche fighting game. It’s cool, but I don’t expect amazing reactions beyond hardcore fans.

Last edited:

ManaByte

My biggest gripe with this is how many friggin Darkstalkers games does someone need? I own 3, Vampire Savior, and Resurrection. The puzzle fighters are a novelty game and if you aren’t sure of how to show off, what’s the point? They’re great to own, but how long till a collection comes out that’s been in high demand for years? I did preload on Switch. I’m just a tad annoyed at how bulky they made this with one franchise. How does someone know to switch Darkstalkers games for a different experience? It’s 1/2 DarkStalkers collection and the other 1/2 random fighters and a never before released ROM of a niche fighting game. It’s cool, but I don’t expect amazing reactions beyond hardcore fans.

Most of these collections are for hardcore fans though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Most of these collections are for hardcore fans though.
They had a PSP game, the games have been on PS1 Classics, and of course Resurrection. It’s just odd to me because some of those games have aged better than others. It’s hard for me to really find a good difference in the games beyond playing the latest or best entry. Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 have more differences. It just makes it harder. To me, personally Capcom should have just made a DarkStalkers collection again and added Red Earth to some sorta Rival Schools, SF EX, or MvC collection.

I know I’m going to have fun with this. It’s like their other Essentials collections on PSP. A whole lot of Street Fighter, a handful of 1943 ports, more Captain Commando, and throw in Three Wonders for 6-7th time. They’re cycling these collections and I swear I was playing Gem Fighters a Gen or two ago already.

I love Capcom. I just don’t know if they’ve reached their apex with these classic collections.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They had a PSP game, the games have been on PS1 Classics, and of course Resurrection. It’s just odd to me because some of those games have aged better than others. It’s hard for me to really find a good difference in the games beyond playing the latest or best entry. Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 have more differences. It just makes it harder. To me, personally Capcom should have just made a DarkStalkers collection again and added Red Earth to some sorta Rival Schools, SF EX, or MvC collection.

I know I’m going to have fun with this. It’s like their other Essentials collections on PSP. A whole lot of Street Fighter, a handful of 1943 ports, more Captain Commando, and throw in Three Wonders for 6-7th time. They’re cycling these collections and I swear I was playing Gem Fighters a Gen or two ago already.

I love Capcom. I just don’t know if they’ve reached their apex with these classic collections.
My first PSP game was Capcom Classics Collection Remixed. No regrets. Also got the Reloaded collection for the handheld Street Fighter II hyper fighting goodness. Good times.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My first PSP game was Capcom Classics Collection Remixed. No regrets. Also got the Reloaded collection for the handheld Street Fighter II hyper fighting goodness. Good times.
I keep them on my PS3 digitally, so I can always reload them to my Vita.

Kacho

Still undecided on Switch or PC. I kinda want to see these games on that sweet ass OLED. Heard filter option D is the best for replicating the arcade look.

Neff

This is a really nice little compilation. The netcode for online challenges is good, and the way it queues up challengers in the background based on the list of games you want to participate in online while you go off and do other stuff offline is seamless. The scanline filter looks terrific, movement is smooth, no dropped frames, responsiveness is good, no tearing... great effort all round.

Dev1lXYZ

This is a great collection. I’ve always wanted to play Red Earth/Warzard officially.

The lens that Capcom created the game with is Street Fighter I.
The Story Mode single player is meant to level up your character. (Max LVL 32)
The endings revolve around how many continues are used in a playthrough. Think less than 20.
All character moves will be unlocked by LVL 10.

Lore, lore, lore on those Capcom ninjas.

Top Bottom