• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 to be full priced release ($60-PS4/ONE,$40-360/PS3)

KJRS_1993

I do fess up.
When the game had graphics like it does, I did immediately assume it was because it was a £15 downloadable title and would have been all over it from day one.
£40? For that? Hmmm.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just want to put this out there.

The last WWE game looks WAY better than this. And those games are like the benchmark for terrible looking AAA games. And we don't even know if this is 60 FPS yet or not. Hooo boy.

Looks like a game to pick up in the GameStop Bargain Bin.

About that

I have a copy of Game Informer with the feature they wrote for this. I kind of skimmed through this thread and didn't see any of these details, so shoot me with a projectile if old.

- Developed by Robomondo/Disruptive Games (not sure what their specific roles are; I assume one of them is focusing solely on last-gen versions)
- Release is this year
- Want to "pull the series back to a period before fans felt it lost its way"
- No getting off your board or skitching
- Objectives are not story-based (probably no story if older THPS games are to go by)
- Controls are traditional THPS layout
- Some new techniques, such as hold grind above a rail to slam down on to it faster.
- Special meter can now be activated by using LB/L1
- Author says the game physics feels tighter than THPS HD
- Producer Dino Verano says THPS HD felt diluted and didn't capture the feel of THPS
- 9 levels - two are homages to older THPS levels (one being a combo of THPS's Warehouse level and THPS 2's Hanger level, the other being a homage to THPS 2's School level).
- New locations include Outer Space (not out of the ordinary - THPS 2 did have Skate Heaven after all)
- Levels are big, but are a return to form (i.e. no open-world).
- Objectives include collection COMBO, finding DVDs, high scores, destroying objectives, etc. These are called free-skate objectives
- New missions you initiate with a button press (?) include: collectathons, races, Big Head challenges (perform tricks to keep your head from exploding) and hitting targets with dodgeballs
- Some levels include special power-ups, such as grinding electrical wires to make you go faster. Each power-up will be unique to a particular level.
- Other missions include clearing a pool full of inflatable objects or hitting a soccer ball into a net
- There is character progression, i.e. earn exp by completing missions and objectives to unlock future locations and increase stats (ollie height, speed, etc.).
- Tricks are unlocked through Style Cards (doesn't really elaborate on what these are)
- Character parts can be mixed and matched (slots for head/face, shirts, and bottom)
- Online matchmaking (sounds like players will populate your offline game if you choose to enable this - ON by default)
- They don't intend for Tony Hawk to become a yearly franchise, are are looking to continue to support this game for the foreseeable future.

Revven

The Tony Hawk games have never been known to be visually impressive but they also didn't look awful like some the screenshots that came out of GI. The character models in the screenshots look like cardboard cutouts -- it's really jarring. If they removed the weird lighting that makes them look like cardboard cutouts then I think the visuals would look a lot less... well, unpleasant to look at. It's like they took PS2 character models and shoved a whole ton of random shaders that clash with the lighting/textures that the levels have. The levels, from what we've seen, look OK but the character models are what really stand out as problems.

I'm waiting for more solid gameplay details, personally, before throwing the game out completely and ignoring it. I did like THPS 3 and some of the Underground stuff and I'd be pretty happy to see the series come back because the gameplay was all it was about. It's somewhat of a B-tier series in this day and age but it's the kind of B-tier that should be welcomed if it's done well. Which none of us can say for sure yet.

$60 is a big asking price for something that is of an unknown quality. Especially for a series that, in recent memory, hasn't been at its prime since the PS2/GCN days and even arguably the N64/PS1 days. And it's still being made by a developer that hasn't had the best track record, either. But let's wait and see for a bit longer.

CEQXQnfWgAId5-2.jpg:large

Sixty. Dollars.

Sixty.

Gleaming that cube graphically.

No. Look at this:

-the fire effects
-the textures
-the everything
Aside from resolution there are GC/PS2/Xbox games that look better than this.

also what the fuck is going on with the shadow? No skateboard shadow? At what angle is the light that the weird shadow lines in the bottom right get created?

So, what are they charging for this iPad version?

- Objectives include collection COMBO, finding DVDs, high scores, destroying objectives, etc. These are called free-skate objectives

I wonder if these were originally supposed to be Blu-ray Discs, but the texture quality was so low that they decided to just call them DVDs.

Looks... terrible.

Of course if the game plays well that doesn't really matter, but this game is going to have an uphill battle to get people on side.

Hoje0308

Banned
Hahahahaha! Seriously?

Five to ten bucks during a flash sale two months after release sounds like a lot better deal than paying $60 for a game with head modeling that reminds me of GoldenEye 64.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
CEQXQnfWgAId5-2.jpg:large

Sixty. Dollars.

Sixty.

Hahahahahahahaha....i just can't stop laughing hahaha.

Oh boy. Tony must have been really desperate. After Tony Hawk Ride they should have known better than to revive something like this.

This looks like a 19.99 downloadable only title for 360.

Like, the Hydro Thunder 360 remake that's digital only looks far better than this

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Sixty. Dollars.

Sixty.

Fuck off with that shit. You're posting a single frame where the character is in the air and it looks like they're spinning.

I don't have a lot of faith in Robomoto from past games, but what you just posted is completely useless and is effectively shitting on people who are actively working on this game.

Syntsui

We just had a major meltdown with High Voltage on MK X for PC. Please don't give incompetent developers the benefit of the doubt.

Hoje0308

Banned
Fuck off with that shit. You're posting a single frame where the character is in the air and it looks like they're spinning.

I don't have a lot of faith in Robomoto from past games, but what you just posted is completely useless and is effectively shitting on people who are actively working on this game.

Yeah, we shouldn't judge a product by the material that's been put out to promote it. Makes perfect sense.

ALL of the screenshots look terrible.

Doesn't mean the game will be bad, just that what he posted isn't misrepresenting the game. It's actually one of the better shots.

Madness

Really don't think it's going to do well at this price if true.

The skateboarding/X Games craze died down a long time ago.

More like was killed off/milked to death. Just like Guitar Hero. I wouldn't mind playing a new Tony Hawk game, but no way at that price. Will wait for bargain bin prices, which are inevitable within a month or two.

OnPoint

Activision still failing to find a way to get me to break my streak of not buying anything from them since Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Nice work boys, you almost got me with this one's potential! Doesn't look like you'll be bringing it home.

UberTag

Good luck with that, Activision. Watch and see how many Canadians pony up $75-80 for a game that looks like it should be in a shovelware bin at a closed Target store.

Interesting. I really need to see this thing in motion - it could swing so heavily in either direction.

The fact it's a full retail title at least suggests Activision is serious about the product, though. This isn't some THHD cash in - they're putting some money on a revival of interest in skateboarding games.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah, we shouldn't judge a product by the material that's been put out to promote it. Makes perfect sense.
Their marketing team sucks. Anyone who's played a Tony Hawk game before knows for a fact that you're more concerned about lining the board up right before you land than staring at the face that you're controlling. Focus on the world you're going to be skating through and have gif's of you actually making your way through the level to show that the dev team isn't shitting the bed.

ALL of the screenshots look terrible.

Doesn't mean the game will be bad, just that what he posted isn't misrepresenting the game. It's actually one of the better shots.
I disagree. They don't look terrible. They look like a work in progress. Like I said, Robomoto could completely fuck this up, but if Activision gave them enough money and time, it could be decent. I need to see everything in action instead of judging this game based off of a screen shot. This game needs to be seen in motion before I make the decision.

I don't care if it's locked at 720p on consoles. It absolutely needs to be locked at 60 fps.

Fat4all

Banned

I posted a screenshot from the game and the price of the game.

I'm not misrepresenting anything. I'm fully representing it.

Top Bottom