• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk`s Pro Skater 5 won`t even run without the "patch".

76D951ED-E0F4-4C85-B28F-C7A513194722_zpswnpktdvt.jpg

AN OLD CONTRACT WITH TONY ENDS

Vinc

This is weird, it should not be possible unless the game is online-only. What I'm guessing actually happened is that the twitch streamer wasn't done with the full install and only installed the first playgo chunk. Or a bug prevented the other chunks from being installed?

Durden77

A 7.7 GB patch for a 4.6 GB game. How is that not extra content?

On the PS Store ot says the game is 7.3GB. So something's off.

This game I'm sure does deserve a lot of the shit it's getting, but it seems like people are so eager to hurl the turds that they placed in their hands this morning specifically for this game that everyone is just hurling mass amounts of shit at once at something that's already obviously covered in shit and it's becoming one big shit ball of mis-information and glitches.

PnCIa

Its such an ambitious game. You have to understand that all those rails and ramps and skateboards need to be loaded into the ram all at once, they have to deal with limited ressources here! Those damn toasters disguised as consoles! There is just not enough ram for all the physics code left after all the pretty cell shading shaders are loaded.
If this would be Elder Scrolls 6, yall would be apologetic about this. Give Tony a break!

I feel like not enough people even give a shit about this game for Activison to take the necessary amount of heat for letting it ship like this

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know that making a new THPS is not exactly easy, because the physics of those old games really are hard to nail down. But it's not impossible, and making a new game like THPS4 with some hooks to the internet for high scores/replays/park sharing is a no brainer. So why can't someone at Activision actually put some effort into this and get it done? The series and its fans deserve better than this.

I feel like not enough people even give a shit about this game for Activison to take the necessary amount of heat for letting it ship like this

People care about THPS 5.

People don't care about this garbage shovelware cash grab.

If they had made a good game people wouldn't be shitting on it, rightfully so.

The take away is not that people don't want a THPS game in 2015.

People want a GOOD THPS game in 2015.

CorySchmitz

How big is the game on your Ps4?

7.28 GB... Version 1.0

Did it somehow partially install the patch?! Even thought it's not done downloading yet & I haven't quit the game to install? Is that possible?

Apologies if I've been wrong this whole time.

Can't even play through the main game without a patch? Well this set's a bad precendent for games in the future if a publisher can pull that shit off. It basically makes the physical copy kind of useless, and broken at it's core.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Everything about this game has been bizarre from the day we were made aware of its existence. Actually, even its existence in the first place is bizarre.

This game I'm sure does deserve a lot of the shit it's getting, but it seems like people are so eager to hurl the turds that they placed in their hands this morning specifically for this game that everyone is just hurling mass amounts of shit at once at something that's already obviously covered in shit and it's becoming one big shit ball of mis-information and glitches.

It's kind of what happens when you have zero PR for the game. Clearly this was sent to die.

All this talk about this game. Doesn't it come out today? Why am I not seeing any reviews if it's been out for more than half a day? What the hell's wrong with this game?

sonto340

All this talk about this game. Doesn't it come out today? Why am I not seeing any reviews if it's been out for more than half a day? What the hell's wrong with this game?
Review copies shipped today it sounds like.
Some publications have to buy a copy themselves.

Danlord

7.28 GB... Version 1.0

Did it somehow partially install the patch?! Even thought it's not done downloading yet & I haven't quit the game to install? Is that possible?

What platform? Did you buy it digitally and if so, how is your Internet or data caps?

On PS4 when you download digital games, there is 2 files, the game and the patch and you can cancel and delete the patch and just let the game itself download. So if you did digital you could delete your current installation and redownload from PSN but make sure to cancel the patch file. Don't know if on Xbox One it does the same, so maybe someone can confirm/deny that.

If you bought physical, delete the game and turn off network and re-install the game, without any patches regardless of the platform and try again then report back to GAF if it works without a patch.

If you're okay with redownloading the patch after reporting on GAF whether it works or not without it.

Hanmik

7.28 GB... Version 1.0

Psn store says 7.4gb. So it seems to be right.

Is it disc or psn version you are playing.?

Review copies shipped today it sounds like.
Some publications have to buy a copy themselves.
That's the kiss of death. Activision knew they had a turd in their hands!

If it was any other game it probably would've been canceled but for contractual reasons they probably couldn't. What a shame. I liked THPS2 back on PS1.

Kuni

I just realized this game is actually FULL PRICE. Actually a bit shocked... I genuinely thought all along this was a digital only £20 or less affair.

Actually trying to think off the last full price game like this. I can't place one in recent memory

Aha after watching that Eurogamer glitch compilation video its more like this is Goat Simulator: Tony Hawk Edition. So sad to think what could've been..

Codiox

Are you shitting me with the full price? Does this really cost 59.99€??? Haha hahaha, Tony what did you become?

I would pay 10 bucks at most for Tony hawks glitch skater 5. And I was there day one with THPS.

CorySchmitz

What platform? Did you buy it digitally and if so, how is your Internet or data caps?

On PS4 when you download digital games, there is 2 files, the game and the patch and you can cancel and delete the patch and just let the game itself download. So if you did digital you could delete your current installation and redownload from PSN but make sure to cancel the patch file. Don't know if on Xbox One it does the same, so maybe someone can confirm/deny that.

If you bought physical, delete the game and turn off network and re-install the game, without any patches regardless of the platform and try again then report back to GAF if it works without a patch.

If you're okay with redownloading the patch after reporting on GAF whether it works or not without it.

PS4 disc. I'll try that in a bit!

BiggNife

Holy shit this game keeps on delivering! We're talking about Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing levels of awfulness here! It is going to be smashed on reviews I predict a freaking 20 on MC at least!

eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh that's blowing things out of proportion

Big Rigs is fundamentally broken, to the point where AI doesn't work, there's zero collision detection at all, and the game crashes if you try to load the fifth course, supposedly because it's not actually in the game.

THPS5 has a lot of hilarious bugs but it's not broken. While the bug videos are hilarious, from what I read and seen most of the time the game is just aggressively mediocre. The Day 1 patch stuff is pretty funny but at least they actually provided the rest of the game on day 1, as opposed to Big Rigs where it was just left unfinished forever.

Top Bottom