• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk`s Pro Skater 5 won`t even run without the "patch".

daycru

They also released Tony Hawks Project 8 and Tony Hawks Proving Ground so they kind of put the series in the spot it's in now. Those two games effectively killed the series. Let's not pretend Neversoft are innocent here.

Neversoft made a handful of the greatest games of all time. Activision had them cranking out a new THPS every single year. They choked the life out of it, then moved on to the next thing. That is what they do.

Sai-kun

Banned
On the PS Store ot says the game is 7.3GB. So something's off.

This game I'm sure does deserve a lot of the shit it's getting, but it seems like people are so eager to hurl the turds that they placed in their hands this morning specifically for this game that everyone is just hurling mass amounts of shit at once at something that's already obviously covered in shit and it's becoming one big shit ball of mis-information and glitches.

It's okay

The game cannot have its feelings hurt

The game is a not a person

BiggNife

I thought Project 8 was generally considered pretty good? Proving Ground was the one I remember everyone disliking and saying the franchise needed a break.

BiggNife

No but it was made by real people with families to feed.

If the game is bad people will speak but it doesn't mean everyone needs to dogpile blindly

Okay? But if the devs made a bad game with hilarious bugs then I think it's okay to criticize the game and laugh at the bugs.

If someone said "I hope Robomodo goes out of business, that's a little different.

Sai-kun

Banned

If the game is bad people will speak but it doesn't mean everyone needs to dogpile blindly

So we can't criticize a product for being bad because 'oh no real people made it'? Sounds like bullshit to me!

Doesn't seem like blind dogpiling considering there's two threads about how awful this game looks.

The employees don't need your defense either. It's a company. They'll survive or they won't. Shit happens.

Okay? But if the devs made a bad game with hilarious bugs then I think it's okay to criticize the game and laugh at the bugs.

If someone said "I hope Robomodo goes out of business, that's a little different.

So we can't criticize a product for being bad because 'oh no real people made it'? Sounds like bullshit to me!

Doesn't seem like blind dogpiling considering there's two threads about how awful this game looks.

The employees don't need your defense either. It's a company. They'll survive or they won't. Shit happens.

Spreading negative misinformation is a very good way to help them go out of business. Not saying there IS misinformation out there, but the mob mentality doesn't allow for much fact checking

And I'm not saying you can't criticize the game so don't twist my words. I mocked it on Twitter earlier.

Durden77

Lol I didn't mean to spur a conversation on human emotions. I just don't like mis-information bandwagoning is all. Just do a little research.

BibiMaghoo

It's cool, they all got paid anyway, families are 100% fed.

Of course good or bad they will now be out of a job anyway, hurrah games industry.

Iorv3th

And what does that change? They were paid for their work. The product is shit.

Bobby Kotick is just trying to feed his family (and garage) too, that's why he has to milk these franchises.

I mean.... You can just open your eyes and look at what is in front of you or ignore it. People are slinging shit because it deserves it. Did you play the last Tony Hawk game from them?

I mean.... You can just open your eyes and look at what is in front of you or ignore it. People are slinging shit because it deserves it. Did you play the last Tony Hawk game from them?

You're misunderstanding what I was saying, I just agreed with the person who said there's no need to throw shit at the game for the sake of it. If it's in response to being a broken piece of shit (which it seems like it is), that's fine.

And yes I actually enjoyed THPS HD, despite being a veteran of the entire series from 1 up to THUG

You're misunderstanding what I was saying, I just agreed with the person who said there's no need to throw shit at the game for the sake of it. If it's in response to being a broken piece of shit (which it seems like it is), that's fine.

And yes I actually enjoyed THPS HD, despite being a veteran of the entire series from 1 up to THUG

But people aren't throwing at it for the sake of it. Ahh Hell....yeah they probably are. But it's not undeserved.

I've been with the series since receiving a preview demo disk of THPS on PS1 and I couldn't stomach HD. Game just felt bad. Graphics were okay, but controls and physics seemed way off.

CorySchmitz

What platform? Did you buy it digitally and if so, how is your Internet or data caps?

On PS4 when you download digital games, there is 2 files, the game and the patch and you can cancel and delete the patch and just let the game itself download. So if you did digital you could delete your current installation and redownload from PSN but make sure to cancel the patch file. Don't know if on Xbox One it does the same, so maybe someone can confirm/deny that.

If you bought physical, delete the game and turn off network and re-install the game, without any patches regardless of the platform and try again then report back to GAF if it works without a patch.

If you're okay with redownloading the patch after reporting on GAF whether it works or not without it.

Ok I tried this & it still works. Still says 7.28 GB fresh off the disc, offline.

Shin-Ra

This hasn't been done on consoles before. Games have had bugs, but they were shipped complete.
In June Digital Foundry revisited The Master Chief Collection and the Halo 4 video has this description:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ch-analysis-master-chief-collection-revisited
A short video demonstrating improvements to frame-rate. Unfortunately, we only have access to a limited amount of our original captures, making a comparison with more problematic sections impossible. Curiously, The Master Chief Collection cannot run without the patch, even in single-player mode.

I guess we finally found out which game Videogamer was referring to when they said an upcoming game would be released entirely broken.

I expected tons of bugs, not entire game modes that have to be patched in before you could actually play the game.

I very much hope this idea of game distribution doesn't catch on, like that MGSV PC disc that only contains the Steam installer and not the actual game. The reason I buy a game disc is that I can play the game right out of the box without having to download 50GB patches that add the actual game, because PSN download speeds are horrible as they are already without this stuff being forced down our necks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought Project 8 was generally considered pretty good? Proving Ground was the one I remember everyone disliking and saying the franchise needed a break.
Project 8 is actually good. It's biggest issue lies with poor technical performance. On Xbox 360 it was reasonably close to being 60fps but slowdown was pretty jarring. They patched in a 30fps cap to "fix" it. The PS3 version was a joke.

Aside from that, though, there was a good game in there. Re-releasing P8 at 1080p60 would have yielded a better game than THPS5.

ryan299

Some people on Reddit were speculating that the game was rushed bc activision would lose the rights at the end of the year. Don't know how true it is. Also the game not working off disc is ridiculous.

Project 8 is actually good. It's biggest issue lies with poor technical performance. On Xbox 360 it was reasonably close to being 60fps but slowdown was pretty jarring. They patched in a 30fps cap to "fix" it. The PS3 version was a joke.

Aside from that, though, there was a good game in there. Re-releasing P8 at 1080p60 would have yielded a better game than THPS5.

Project 8 was pretty awesome, I recommend it for you guys itching for a tony hawk fix.

whitehawk

Banned

Agreed. P8 was actually good. I didn't like it as much as THUG1/2/THAW, but it was more or less the same game with better visuals. The slo-mo trick mode was a cool idea as well. It didn't work out well in actual gameplay, but it had the right idea that Skate eventually took and made an entire game with.

dreamfall

I actually re-bought Project 8 today while I was deciding whether or not to get the new one. I think I made the right decision.

I did the same thing. I mean if anything, this release just made me wish that it actually worked. I'm just going back to the old games, and waiting for a good skateboarding game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This isn't even the only retail game released this week that won't make it past the tutorial without a patch.
The future is now.

Im happy to see people liking Project 8 on this page.

I really enjoyed it and love that matrix slow mo nail the trick mode it had.

Is there no certification or quality control going on anymore?? This is just sick.

Having worked at Activision and seen some things first hand, they have a person that is entirely first party relations liaison. Depending on the game and the issues, when you fail certification this person starts to work their magic to push it through.

Now I'm not exactly sure what goes down. Aside from "promising" patches and whatnot I've heard rumors that they'd toss some cash first party's way too to help grease the wheels. Rumors though, as I never saw or heard anything firsthand about money. But I've been in this person's office in the morning to give them whatever info they wanted about QA on the title and by afternoon our fail turned into a provisional pass.

So pretty much, Activision has the equivalent of a political lobbyist to help push through whatever happens to fail certification if it needs to come down to that for whatever reason.

KingJ2002

It's clear that they need to give this series to another developer. Robomodo has yet to put out a worthwhile game... or at least a title that scored over 8.0 in Metacritic.

So much hype just down the drain.

Overside

Banned
Having worked at Activision and seen some things first hand, they have a person that is entirely first party relations liaison. Depending on the game and the issues, when you fail certification this person starts to work their magic to push it through.

Now I'm not exactly sure what goes down. Aside from "promising" patches and whatnot I've heard rumors that they'd toss some cash first party's way too to help grease the wheels. Rumors though, as I never saw or heard anything firsthand about money. But I've been in this person's office in the morning to give them whatever info they wanted about QA on the title and by afternoon our fail turned into a provisional pass.

So pretty much, Activision has the equivalent of a political lobbyist to help push through whatever happens to fail certification if it needs to come down to that for whatever reason.

I know what the reason is not.

To ensure a quality experience for customers.

Some people on Reddit were speculating that the game was rushed bc activision would lose the rights at the end of the year. Don't know how true it is. Also the game not working off disc is ridiculous.

Yeah its ridiculous cause it's not true. I was able to play it offline, no patch, and unlock and play stage 2 of 8. No patch. Game is rough as fuck but doesn't require the patch to play single player at all.

Top Bottom