• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Asian? - An Article on Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman00

Liverpool01
BocoDragon said:
It's pretty obvious why: Confucius stressed pleasing one's elders, as well as the merits of examination systems to determine placement in the government. That lead to a culture where studying hard to be successful was everything. The Imperial Chinese dynasties promoted Confucian ideas heavily over the centuries (the Emperor being the ultimate elder to whom one must defer), and these ideas were exported to most of the countries of Asia, which were once Chinese tributaries: Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc. These ideas formed the core of Asian thinking, and while few would consciously think of themselves as "Confucian" anymore, it nonetheless is embedded in the thinking of their cultures. (Christian-based thinking is the counterpart in Western thought, with even atheists thinking in concepts that could only be borne of monotheist theology: natural human rights, etc.)

But personally I think non-Asians should adopt the mantra: if you can't beat em, join em. Personally my parents are the ultimate care-nothing liberal white parents. It was through the ideas of my Asian friends that I realized that maybe studying hard matters. Don't whine: catch up to them. They don't dominate the school because they're Asian, they dominate because they study fucking hard.

And I don't take seriously that "Asians only stick to their own kind" stuff. There is a grain of truth to it.. but few of them are actually exclusionary... they're just in their comfort zone of people who come from a similar background. If you engage them in communication, as I have, you will be welcomed.

This man speaks the fucking truth.

Jintor

hamchan said:
Hooray for being Asian. I was in a good high school and now i'm a good Uni, both are Asian dominated. Fact is though everyone I've met has worked hard and deserves their place.

Here in Australia the current affair shows often run "news" reports with parents complaining about Asian parents sending their kids to coaching colleges and this is unfair. They consider the Asian kids to be stealing the spots at top schools. To them I say boo hoo, these kids work hard to get their spot.

Mind you, I do think it's at least a little weird. I remember my grade in High School was the second last grade to have more than 40% non-black haired people in it. Every single grade after it was, like, 90% asian at the least. It was worse at other Selective Schools, too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BocoDragon said:
But personally I think non-Asians should adopt the mantra: if you can't beat em, join em. Personally my parents are the ultimate care-nothing liberal white parents. It was through the ideas of my Asian friends that I realized that maybe studying hard matters. Don't whine: catch up to them. They don't dominate the school because they're Asian, they dominate because they study fucking hard.
That's pretty much it. Many of those 1st/2nd gen Asian families value education as a religion. How many white kids do you see just float by? Even with minorities like Black and Latin for America, who still come from better homes than many Asian kids. Why do they continually succeed regardless.

KevinRo

There is a uni near me called UMBC which has been dubbed it 'U Must B Chinese'. And yes it does have an M.O. as a non-party study school.

Also, Engineering at my University is highly diverse.. just no white people. LITERALLY no white people in my Electrical Engineering classes.

beat

Zzoram said:
I want news sites and papers to report on this article and how Maclean's pulled it in less than a day. Why did they pull it? I want to hear discussion about the contents of the article from other news sources.
Yeah. Even their own pages have links to it in recent comments or 'most read'/'most commented' but it all 404s. What's going on, Macleans?

JayDub

From what I've seen, this whole "self segregation" thing about asians is overblown. Every single ethnicity does it. Here in LA, as diverse as it is, you go to high school, and latinos are hanging with latinos, asians are hanging with asians, blacks with blacks, whites with whites.

Really though, its not "self segregation." We're not opposed, intimidated or uncomfortable about befriending other ethnicities. You come up to us, strike up conversation, if we click, we're friends. If not, ok.

Im pretty sure a lot of you guys claiming this whole "self segregation" thing are people who just watch the big group of asians and say, "hey, i just realized something, why do asians only hang out with asians?" And your friends undoubtedly validate that idea by saying, "Yea! I noticed that too!"

Im also sure that some of you guys have probably experienced being an outsider when you are in a big group of asians. Or maybe even have experience with asians going out of their way to not befriend you. Which isn't any different than when Im in a big group of latinos and they start mixing their english with spanish and Im standing there, lost. Its just what happens when you're the only one different in a big group of a different ethnicity.

Every single one of my asian friends have friends (and yes, best friends) from a different ethnicity.

I've also seen a lot with just asian friends with the occasional acquaintance from another ethnicity.

I also know a lot of black, latino and white friends who have a majority of their "close social circle" with people of their same ethnicity.

Its not just an "asian" problem. Its just how it is.

Stop singling us out. And dont flatter yourselves, we're not as intimidated by other ethnicities as you might think.

EDIT: And, its basic social economics. (enter ethnicity here)'s parents pick a neighborhood or city with the majority population being (their ethnicity here). They go to elementary school, where the majority of their friends are of the same ethnicity. These kids also end up in the same high school.

And it goes on and on and on. There's a reason why a person's social circle's diversity is much more diverse when they head to a university. Yes, even these supposed "asian universities."

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
JayDub said:
From what I've seen, this whole "self segregation" thing about asians is overblown. Every single ethnicity does it. Here in LA, as diverse as it is, you go to high school, and latinos are hanging with latinos, asians are hanging with asians, blacks with blacks, whites with whites.

Really though, its not "self segregation." We're not opposed, intimidated or uncomfortable about befriending other ethnicities. You come up to us, strike up conversation, if we click, we're friends. If not, ok.

Im pretty sure a lot of you guys claiming this whole "self segregation" thing are people who just watch the big group of asians and say, "hey, i just realized something, why do asians only hang out with asians?" And your friends undoubtedly validate that idea by saying, "Yea! I noticed that too!"

Im also sure that some of you guys have probably experienced being an outsider when you are in a big group of asians. Or maybe even have experience with asians going out of their way to not befriend you. Which isn't any different than when Im in a big group of latinos and they start mixing their english with spanish and Im standing there, lost. Its just what happens when you're the only one different in a big group of a different ethnicity.

Every single one of my asian friends have friends (and yes, best friends) from a different ethnicity.

I've also seen a lot with just asian friends with the occasional acquaintance from another ethnicity.

I also know a lot of black, latino and white friends who have a majority of their "close social circle" with people of their same ethnicity.

Its not just an "asian" problem. Its just how it is.

Stop singling us out. And dont flatter yourselves, we're not as intimidated by other ethnicities as you might think.

Yup I agree with all the points you touch on.

Zzoram

numble said:
This is a different issue from the implication that they are trying to "keep Asian kids out by lowering standards," exemplified in this quote:

...which doesn't even make as much sense since he's talking about foreign students at public universities, which are often required by law to accept higher amounts of local students since the locals pay the taxes that fund the universities. Are they really rejecting qualified Asians and letting in "binge drinking coasters" to this school's Master's Program in Public Health so that they can keep their school "white enough"?

ya ignore that rant

still, studies show that ivy league schools are harder on asians, they require academics well above what what other students need to get in

as for lowering standards, if schools choose to let in underachieving white students to keep a large white student body then that's lowering standards because if they just accepted the best students that applied, they could raise standards since those top students could handle it, while they might have to curve up classes or make things easier to accomodate the people they're letting in

beat

JayDub said:

Really though, its not "self segregation."
I think I've heard LA is more segregated than, say, NYC, actually...

Anyways, I'm Chinese-Canadian (second gen) and I totally did this, but I would have no problem calling it self-segregation.

Dies Iræ

I'm at the University of Toronto and I'm too busy fucking studying my ass off to give a damn how many Asians there may or may not be. God damn this school.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
My best friend and girlfriend is Chinese-American. I'm mostly oblivious to it, but this "self-segregation" is something that bothers her a lot. She tells me that if I ever find myself among a group of FOB-y Asians and they start talking Japanese/Mandarin/Cantonese/Korean/etc to tell them to "shut the fuck up" and talk English. She gets pretty worked up over it. I guess her openness to non-Asians is a big reason why she's dating a non-Asian.

I've always had friends of different ethnicities/cultural backgrounds. We even nicknamed ourselves the "junior UN club" because our circle of friends included such a wide variety of ethnicities.

panda21

so instead of being proud of having very intelligent and hard working students, they are concerned that the poor slackers who just want to party are bummed out that they can't go to the best university, and blame an ethnicity for it. great attitude

the real problem is that these less able kids probably shouldnt be going to university in the first place, but instead they see it as an extension of school and still have the sense of entitlement at the same time as the too cool for school attitude.

JayDub

esquire said:
My best friend and girlfriend is Chinese-American. I'm mostly oblivious to it, but this "self-segregation" is something that bothers her a lot. She tells me that if I ever find myself among a group of FOB-y Asians and they start talking Japanese/Mandarin/Cantonese/Korean/etc to tell them to "shut the fuck up" and talk English. She gets pretty worked up over it. I guess her openness to non-Asians is a big reason why she's dating a non-Asian.

I've always had friends of different ethnicities/cultural backgrounds. We even nicknamed ourselves the "junior UN club" because our circle of friends included such a wide variety of ethnicities.

The fact that she calls other asians "FOB" means she should "shut the fuck up."

Aiyah, I apologize. I dont want to offend you. Its just that, "self segregation" does exist in a very disgusting form within western asian cultures, and that is asians hating on asians. The whole asian gang epidemic in America practically started because "american" asians were making fun of asians that had a thick accent.

I'll talk to someone and it'd be like, "Oh, you're into FOBS?" And its not just the "american" asians that do this; the "foreign" asians get defensive and do this too. They call us "ABC"

Fuck that shit. I've said it before and ill say it again. Cut that shit out.

jax (old)

Banned
its like this in australia too.

some of my mates had real issues. and yes, the issues raised are all real. YMMV. I've heard anedocate stories of friends friend - this white guy was the only causcasian person in his economics class.

JayDub

Jax said:
its like this in australia too.

some of my mates had real issues. and yes, the issues raised are all real. YMMV. I've heard anedocate stories of friends friend - this white guy was the only causcasian person in his economics class.

Isn't australians known to be incredibly racist? Honesty, I've seen a show actually refer to chinese as "chinamen"

:lol

way more

I always think these articles are funny because the writer imagines himself as some global child who adapts to all cultures with grace and humbleness. It's only the "others" who group together and exclude.

gutter_trash said:
this is sad because once you get onto the workforce... everyone has to get to work with other people that are not your own

I blame colleges for promoting stupid self-segregating clubs and political groups on campus.

colleges should help students step into the real world... not get into Dungeon & Dragon groups or Republicans who hate Climate Change groups and stuff

Kinda like this.

Totakeke

Basically I feel that orientation activities are the worst offender of making people hang around only with their own kind. Before you can go around and meet other people, you're already dumped into a clique that you're expected to be in and you'd have to be a jerk if you want to avoid them altogether afterwards.

But maybe that's only my experience.

Zzoram

Totakeke said:
Basically I feel that orientation activities are the worst offender of making people hang around only with their own kind. Before you can go around and meet other people, you're already dumped into a clique that you're expected to be in and you'd have to be a jerk if you want to avoid them altogether afterwards.

But maybe that's only my experience.

I find people clique up according to major just as much as to race, simply because they have to spend a lot of time together anyways.

Is there any research into what happens to this group, in particular, once they get into the work place? I've been markedly confused at how well represented asians are in the top law schools, and how little represented they are in the top law firms. What's going on there?

jax (old)

Banned
JayDub said:
Isn't australians known to be incredibly racist? Honesty, I've seen a show actually refer to chinese as "chinamen"

Its not bad but there's immigration phobia * the country is closer to asia than "western" nations and its always something that comes up.

haven't heard of chinamen but for sure I've heard of "imports"

there are also simmering tensions here (aka cronulla race riots *aussies vs lebanese) and the long standing problem with aboriginals.

and issues with muslims to a degree.

so basically issues with lots of people :lol

I never did understand exactly why but University of Florida had a pretty huge Korean population. I taught foreign students wanting to study in the states and almost always about 80% were Korean.

They were also pretty bad about keeping to themselves. The only non-Koreans they really spent time with were us, their teachers. They were fun people though!

Shouta

Dice said:
I've had Asian students ask me in a very genuine and innocent manner why so many American students are always going out partying and getting wasted, and why it seems to be the only way they want to pass the time.

They're shocked and never expected such a thing, and they ask me this because:
1) They think it's a silly thing to do even for fun.
2) They see their fellow students suffering academic consequences from it.
3) They have trouble making good friends because non-Asians only seem to be interested in this.

I have no answers for them, only that I don't know and I agree.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I was in school except 2 was consequences in general. It seriously bewildered me back then that folks did that. Still bewilders me to this day. I mean, I don't mind a bit of drinking but folks really go out crazy even in my age bracket.

Most groups, Asian or not, gather together with folks that are in their comfort zone either by shared background or shared hobbies. Shared background is something that can't be changed and is often the easiest one to identify, sadly. If you ask most of the Asians in those groups, even the international students, it's because they're comfortable with the others. It's stupid but true, happened to me growing up as well. I'm Asian-American but I don't look it nearly as much as others so I got ignored pretty often. Thankfully, I started associating with folks by hobby and thus came here. :lol

Jintor

JayDub said:

In general Aussies aren't racist at all (although it depends how far you get from the major cities, to hear my friends say). Unfortunately though we do have leftover bits of 'yellow peril' and so on. Most Aussies would consider themselves fairly easygoing though.

Mind you I think a lot of the asian parents I have to mix with occasionally are racist. My mother especially :lol

hamchan

JayDub said:

That's a lie spread by American media and I'm actually surprised at the amount of people on GAF who believe it. I'd say we have the same ratio of normal people to racist people as America does... though that might mean we do have a lot of racists :lol

Zzoram

AcciDante said:
I always noticed in high school that almost all groups of friends were pretty diverse, then there was the asian group.

Really? My high school had like 40 asian kids out of 1500 people so most groups were all white except a few with some asians mixed in the group.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Most people hang out in groups comprised mainly of people of the same cultural background, but there's definitely a double standard here when singling out Asians as the only group guilty of this because of the visible minority factor.

Also, that article sounds like it was written by one of the black or latino student activist groups at University of California campuses. Man, they'd throw some of the iciest death glares while flyering towards asian students on campus whenever the protests during UC regents meetings were held.:lol

Zaptruder

Banned
On the subject of drinking...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

About 1/5th of asians are afflicted by this issue. Can't remember where to find the source for that figure though :/

But it's probably at least in part caused asians to have the relationship with alcohol that they do. That is to say, distant and moderated.

Of course, some asians just like any other racial group will have piss tanks that drink alcohol more than water. They'll also have plenty of guys with liver problems and all that jazz.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
During my time at uni, while I have seen cliques that are organised by ethnicity, if you actually try to engage with people from different backgrounds, most of the time you will get something out of it. My circle of friends has people from England, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Cote D'Ivoire, Iran, Sri Lanka, Germany, loads of different places. We're all human.

I actually think a lot of the informal segregation comes from the cultural societies. During induction week people decide to join JapanSoc or PortugalSoc because they share a culture in common and from that moment on they miss out on associating with the broader student body. After those first few weeks it just becomes too awkward to try to make new friends, at least for a lot of people.

Erasus

BocoDragon said:

But studying is hard, sure I could put more time in but why?
I am fine with my G (pass, like a C I guess) can´t I be?

Also I dont notice Asians dominating over here, but I am in Sweden so they might freeze to death. :3 We do have a lot of foregin students, but they dont "dominate".

Zzoram

Erasus said:
But studying is hard, sure I could put more time in but why?
I am fine with my G (pass, like a C I guess) can´t I be?

Also I dont notice Asians dominating over here, but I am in Sweden so they might freeze to death. :3 We do have a lot of foregin students, but they dont "dominate".
Asians dominate school in north America because the local culture here is laziness in school and all efforts into sports. Doing good in school is uncool. For Asians, doing bad in school is shameful.

That plus Asian students prefer going to north America over Europe. Europes immigrants mostly come from the middle east or Africa.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I've graduated from UBC and Western, and I'm currently at U of T. As a non-Asian, I've had absolutely no trouble socializing with Asians. The ones who are less comfortable with English will naturally tend to gravitate to other native speakers of their language, but otherwise they're similar to whites. The same applies to brown people. Sure, efforts could be made to help recent immigrants integrate better through language/cultural workshops/social events, but any efforts in this area are going to have a limited impact.

In terms of partying, yeah, the white people (and a subset of the brown people) tend to drink more. It's not a huge issue.

Basically, there's no real issue here.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
ATF487 said:
My experience:

It's not really "Asians" but "foreign asian students" that segregate themselves heavily. I knew lots of foreign students from China that would be afraid to talk to ol' whitey but I also knew lots of second/third generation asians that would be much more likely to intermingle. And then I knew some foreign students that would open up when approached, so uh, it sort of depends

Same at my uni. There's a lot of exchange students from China coming in and they really don't mingle. I've been student mentor for Chinese exchange students two times. While I had a great time with them as individuals, I'd be about the only non-Chinese they'd be in contact with, even though they did courses filled with exchange students from all over the world.

Also, when I was studying in Japan, the Japanese students I met were partying... hard. But not so much those of my uni (Handai) but of others in town, such as Kansai and Gaidai. Guess they had more free time. Also, the Korean and Chinese exchange students at Handai usually had to work their ass off because of their scholarships/expectations at home, while the Thai I was hanging out with pretty much partying big-time. Cultural differences and parents with deep pockets, I guess.

I could not care less. If people are whining about not being able to complete, step your shit up or leave. The problem is that too many white kids are pampered and lazy. They want to be at the top but without putting in the effort. They just want to be at the top because they are special and deserve to be there.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Thagomizer said:
My experience at my University is that everyone is really welcoming, except for the first/second generation Korean students. Introducing yourself to an already-established group is always pretty awkward for everyone involved, but most people at least try to make an effort. Every time I've tried to introduce myself to the group of Korean students, however, they will actively try to get me to leave. I once said "Hi" to be friendly when they were just hanging around talking in the common room, and they actually got up and moved to the other side of the room.

Well, to be honest, we, and I mean Koreans, had a metting about you. It didn't end well.

I wouldn't think too much if it. Koreans are snobby, two faced (lots of cultural background on that) and are just dicks.

Chinese students? I dunno, the only groups I remember from campus were the Mainland foreign born students. I have no idea why I would hang out with them.

Japanese students. There weren't that many at my school, but they seemed affable enough.

I dunno, I was probably an exception, because I played (loose term, I was a pracitce squad scrub.) football. So who I hung out with was definitely different than the average Asian-American student on my campus.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Zzoram said:
This is exactly the attitude that is what's wrong with North America. You're "uncool" if your social activities are "nerdy", you have to drink and club in university or you're not doing it right. Why do some people find it so hard to have fun sober? Are these people so incapable of conversation that they can't stand each other sober?
Door2Dawn said:
You know not everyone considers clubbing and drinking a good time. Stop watching Jersey Shore and The Real World.
I was hoping for responses like this. The reality is that those who don't go out, drink, party, and have a good time are the obnoxious self-righteous ones. I'm an older dude who hasn't even watched the Jersey Shore because frankly I don't have time nor am I even remotely interested, but when I was in college and my early 20s I knew how to cut loose. Being young is all about pushing your boundaries and exploring the world outside your comfort zone. Sitting in your dorm room and playing warcraft with a bunch of other dudes doesn't achieve that. If that's what you want out of life that's fine, but don't act all self-righteous when people who enjoy going out, drinking, and being social talk about it.

numble

Zzoram said:
Asians dominate school in north America because the local culture here is laziness in school and all efforts into sports. Doing good in school is uncool. For Asians, doing bad in school is shameful.
You really are stereotyping both groups way too much. Are you an expert? Go to crappy community colleges in Southern California and you'll find lazy dopehead Asians, and you can also find overachieving whites all over Orange County, New England, San Jose, Beverly Hills, etc. Boarding schools and private schools are full of overachieving whites, often at the same socio-economical income class as the overachieving Asians that go to public schools. Boston's Chinatown is known for their "underachieving" Asians. The heavily Asian San Gabriel Valley in Southern California has it's well documented stories of Asian high school dropouts and Asian gangs, K-town in LA is more known for crime and clubbing then overachieving Asians, and even Arcadia High School in Southern California, which is heavily Asian (and rich Asians at that), sends a ton of the kids to the local community college and a third of all kids don't even get into 4-year colleges.

Jintor

Nerevar said:
I was hoping for responses like this. The reality is that those who don't go out, drink, party, and have a good time are the obnoxious self-righteous ones. I'm an older dude who hasn't even watched the Jersey Shore because frankly I don't have time nor am I even remotely interested, but when I was in college and my early 20s I knew how to cut loose. Being young is all about pushing your boundaries and exploring the world outside your comfort zone. Sitting in your dorm room and playing warcraft with a bunch of other dudes doesn't achieve that. If that's what you want out of life that's fine, but don't act all self-righteous when people who enjoy going out, drinking, and being social talk about it.

This could go on forever. "You're stereotyping me! [responds with stereotype]" "No, you're stereotyping me! [responds with stereotype]"

SMH

maladroid

Salazar said:
This is overwhelmingly true at my (Australian) university, as far as I can tell.

Hamchan, you know better than to watch that trash.

The same at mine. My French class was the only one where there was an Asian minority. Even within commerce, there seems to be different ratios for different subjects. In finance it was 90% Asian in my tute (I was actually bored enough to count, and there were 2 white people out of 20), while it gets a bit more varied in economics and econometrics. While sometimes there are communication barriers, the international students I've approached have been friendly enough on the whole. It's kinda weird. I went to a public school and there was a variety of people. Besides the odd idiot, race never really came up and everybody mixed together. Now, when I look around lecture theatres, there'll be a cluster of white people sitting together, and Asians, well, everywhere, haha, and the people I usually hang around with are mostly Asian. I don't consider myself Asian, so it's not really some 'policy' about hanging out with a certain kind of people. It kinda just happened, which seems kinda odd when I take a step back and look at it considering what it was like in high school.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
numble said:
You really are stereotyping both groups way too much. Are you an expert? Go to crappy community colleges in Southern California and you'll find lazy dopehead Asians, and you can also find overachieving whites all over Orange County, New England, San Jose, Beverly Hills, etc. Boarding schools and private schools are full of overachieving whites, often at the same socio-economical income class as the overachieving Asians that go to public schools. Boston's Chinatown is known for their "underachieving" Asians. The heavily Asian San Gabriel Valley in Southern California has it's well documented stories of Asian high school dropouts and Asian gangs, K-town in LA is more known for crime and clubbing then overachieving Asians, and even Arcadia High School in Southern California, which is heavily Asian (and rich Asians at that), sends a ton of the kids to the local community college and a third of all kids don't even get into 4-year colleges.

Shoutout to Arcadia High.

Tristam

Nerevar said:

I agree, but by the conclusion of their senior year university kids should ideally accomplish two things: first, grow the fuck up; second, get the degree that their parents probably paid for. Many kids do neither, and you bet I feel superior to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom