• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN says discrimination embedded in Australia - GAF was right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carton

i_am_ben said:
everything north of Melbourne should be burnt to the ground.

Not so fast; you have at least one racist amongst you.

I was working in a restaurant in Perth once, and served a table of four from Melbourne. They had been quite chatty and friendly. Then one of the guys noticed a table of Asian customers further down the back.

"I see you have gooks in here. We call them gooks in Melbourne, what do you call them here?", he said with a bit of boldness.

"Human beings", i replied.

"...oh"

His partner then rebuked him and apologised. He acted pretty meek for the rest of the time they were there. He must've felt especially silly when my Japanese colleague and good friend walked in 15 minutes later and greeted myself and our colleagues with a hug.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Carton said:
Not so fast; you have at least one racist amongst you.

I was working in a restaurant in Perth once, and served a table of four from Melbourne. They had been quite chatty and friendly. Then one of the guys noticed a table of Asian customers further down the back.

"I see you have gooks in here. We call them gooks in Melbourne, what do you call them here?", he said with a bit of boldness.

"...oh"

His partner then rebuked him and apologised. He acted pretty meek for the rest of the time they were there. He must've felt especially silly when my Japanese colleague and good friend walked in 15 minutes later and greeted myself and our colleagues with a hug.

Must have been Sydney sider trying to ruin our reputation.

Pikelet

"...oh"

What the fuck? :lol

Outside of dumb high-schoolers getting into fights i don't think i have ever heard the word gook used like that here in Melbourne. What a prick!

i_am_ben said:
Must have been Sydney sider trying to ruin our reputation.

Orrrr maybe it was a Melbournite saying he was from Melboure, saying something racist so that the waiter would be appauled, write about it on gaf some months later and have someone reply accusing the racist person of being a Sydney sider pretending to be a Melbournite, all to make Sydney siders look bad.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The Storyteller said:
Orrrr maybe it was a Melbournite saying he was from Melboure, saying something racist so that the waiter would be appauled, write about it on gaf some months later and have someone reply accusing the racist person of being a Sydney sider pretending to be a Melbournite, all to make Sydney siders look bad.

the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

so it was a sydney sider.

Kritz

Banned
speedpop said:
Everyone knows the only good part of Australia is the little island to the south.

:D

evlcookie said:
We are meant to be elitists because of the ausgaf thread?

Sweet

But the people in the AusGAF Steam Group are the most elite of them all!

Kritz

Banned
Tasmania might be small, insignificant, and lacking perspective on a lot of things. But at least we aren't full of fucking crazies.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i_am_ben said:
really? I've never heard of it being offensive before. I thought it was just interchangeable with Aboriginal.

WTF I thought Aboriginal was flat out wrong and Aborigine was the correct way to say it :O

I'm a kiwi though and we're not racist so it's just a mistake. (j/k)

Kritz said:
Tasmania might be small, insignificant, and lacking perspective on a lot of things. But at least we aren't full of fucking crazies.
to be fair, Australia is basically all crazies it's just that there are nuances to the crazy spectrum

Nice to see the Tassie defense force out and about. Antique shops, good beer, clean air and fine cuisine.

Historically though...race relations kinda soured fairly quickly in regards to the indigenous population, to the point of literal genocide. Rest in peace, Trugannini.

Australia fucking rules. Also I would like to add that shouldnt people be blaming the British for all this? They were the ones that started it all lol

Shanadeus

Banned
tino said:
They basically have worse freedom of speech policy than China, so yeah they can fuck right off.
Well, it is a country founded by criminals.

Makes me wonder what exactly ultra-nationalist/extremist Australians are proud of.

Coeliacus

Rez said:
A lot of people living outside of the major cities or Victoria/NSW/SA aren't exactly scholarly. I mean, look at Itainteasybeingcheesy. It's like calling the US homophobic based on a survey of Utah and Georgia. We're doing our best, I promise.
I agree with this post.

Queenslanders are pretty damn racist.
:lol

tino said:
They basically have worse freedom of speech policy than China, so yeah they can fuck right off.
I've never heard of journalists trashing our leaders disappearing. Hell, we have the Chaser team, which should tell you something. Google Chaser crashes APEC summit and tell me if that shit would fly in China. :lol

Also, hopefully with the way things are going after the election, this Internet filter rubbish will disappear. Fingers crossed.

Ripclawe said:
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu: “Multiculturalism has seemed to imply, wrongly for me, let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains,” he said.

If by "harmonious" just gloss over differences and have to change just so others can feel welcome, no thanks. Multicult is a warped idea that you can live and let live and just keep quiet about certain aspects that go against the majority norms and culture.

Now Assimilation is a much better fit for society because newcomers have to fit it and you get a different kind of another culture. Multiculturalism as it is practiced today just promotes a wretched form of tribalism.

Wow, spot on.

Coeliacus

Rez said:
That's not true! Rural Victoria is very multicultural and lovely and rosey.
I dunno, my town (Charlton) the most multiculturalism we got was the Italian couple running the fish and chip shop owners.

Salazar said:
You're pretty tediously backward yourself.
Probably because of the above fact. Still, I can't tell you how many people called the tech support line I used to work for with an 07 area code tell me it was great to not have to talk to those 'farken' Indians. :lol

Shawsie64

Banned
Im an Australian and im friends with people from spain, china, saudi arabia, venezuela and aboriginal people.. Im anglo aswell.. Must be doing it wrong i guess :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
speedpop said:
Everyone knows the only good part of Australia is the little island to the south.

NZ is actually composed of 3 islands and it's more South East than South.

hamchan

Korey said:
Man the concept of Australia is really interesting to me. They're like England with a twist.

We're like England except we're not a bunch of depressed dudes who hate their own country!

May16

Suggestions included negotiating a treaty with Indigenous Australians, giving them better access to legal aid and tackling laws in the Northern Territory that discriminate on the basis of race.
Holy shit it's legal to just run up and tackle somebody if they're a different race than you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom