• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN says discrimination embedded in Australia - GAF was right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tntnnbltn

i_am_ben said:
Is Aborigines supposed to be offensive?
Oh, how annoying. I have a list of preferred terminology for my Indigenous Aboriginal Education unit, but I left it at uni.

But to answer your question, yes.

This news regarding Australia is not surprising considering how an Australian hacked into GAF once and banned a ton of people that didn't agree with him.

hamchan

Hasan said:
Is it really that bad there? Aussie gaf please explain.
No. As an Asian living here life is pretty damn awesome. There are a few idiots but that's the same for any otter country.

I'd say it's 10x worse in Asia and southern parts of the USA.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Tntnnbltn said:
Oh, how annoying. I have a list of preferred terminology for my Indigenous Aboriginal Education unit, but I left it at uni.

But to answer your question, yes.

really? I've never heard of it being offensive before. I thought it was just interchangeable with Aboriginal.

i_am_ben said:
really? I've never heard of it being offensive before. I thought it was just interchangeable with Aboriginal.

Grammatically speaking aboriginal is an adjective and aborigine is a noun. Whether or not either is offensive is probably up for debate.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
speculawyer said:
I never know what 'multiculturism' means. But I know it does not mean that.

It may not be what it means, but it can become the unintended side effect very easily.

arstal said:
It may not be what it means, but it can become the unintended side effect very easily.
If stupid people are the majority, then yes, multiculturalism can lead to that. In all other avenues of actual intelligence, multiculturalism is good for all humanity.

Tntnnbltn

i_am_ben said:
From Wikipedia:
The use of "Aborigine(s)" or "Aboriginal(s)" in this sense, i.e. as a noun, has acquired negative, even derogatory connotations in some sectors of the community, who regard it as insensitive, and even offensive. The more acceptable and correct expression is "Aboriginal Australians" or "Aboriginal people," though even this is sometimes regarded as an expression to be avoided because of its historical associations with colonialism. "Indigenous Australians" has found increasing acceptance, particularly since the 1980s.

jim-jam bongs said:
Grammatically speaking aboriginal is an adjective and aborigine is a noun. Whether or not either is offensive is probably up for debate.
Aboriginal can also be used as a noun.

legend166

Oh, UN Human Rights Council, you've once again shown your great skill at going after the greatest human rights problems in the world.

What would we do without you?

ZephyrFate said:
If stupid people are the majority, then yes, multiculturalism can lead to that. In all other avenues of actual intelligence, multiculturalism is good for all humanity.

Internet high five!

goomba

Banned
Watch out Australia, the UN might send you a nasty letter.

My New Zealand accent was mistaken for an Australian accent the world over... wtf.

Australian: Feeesh n Cheeeps

New Zealand: Fush n Chups

Night and day.

goomba said:
Watch out Australia, the UN might send you a nasty letter.

My New Zealand accent was mistaken for an Australian accent the world over... wtf.

Australian: Feeesh n Cheeeps

New Zealand: Fush n Chups

Night and day.

Feeesh n Cheeeps? Never heard any Aussie pronounce it like that...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people living outside of the major cities or Victoria/NSW/SA aren't exactly scholarly. I mean, look at Itainteasybeingcheesy. It's like calling the US homophobic based on a survey of Utah and Georgia. We're doing our best, I promise.

caromelo

Hasan said:
Is it really that bad there? Aussie gaf please explain.

Depends on where you live in Australia. I lived in Sydney city, and it was fine. Never experienced racism as a kid. My family moved to the western suburbs of Sydney and it's horrible.

I have a job in the local shopping centre and there's a large amount of white people that refuse to talk to me because I'm Asian or have told my manager that a "true Australian" should have my job.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i_am_ben said:
everything north of Melbourne should be burnt to the ground.
That's not true! Rural Victoria is very multicultural and lovely and rosey.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Rez said:
That's not true! Rural Victoria is very multicultural and lovely and rosey.

i'm willing to compromise to anything above Ballarat but that's as far as I go.

Syth_Blade22 said:
let's just burn any state that follows NRL

and leave Adelaide? yeah right!

Salazar

Syth_Blade22 said:
let's just burn any state that follows NRL

An amnesty is in order for people who live in Queensland but have a boiling revulsion for rugby league and its fans. I don't think a great deal of AFL either, to be honest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i_am_ben said:

Shepparton and north, and that's my final offer.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Rez said:
A lot of people living outside of the major cities or Victoria/NSW/SA aren't exactly scholarly. I mean, look at Itainteasybeingcheesy. It's like calling the US homophobic based on a survey of Utah and Georgia. We're doing our best, I promise.

Cute. I love how people down south and in big cities think they are somehow smarter than everyone else, i mean what is it that's meant to make you smarter...... 2 minute showers?. Going of the Aus Gaf thread and the election thread it's oh so lol worthy that you guys seem to think you are mentally superior.

Oh where exactly where the race riots again? :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i_am_ben said:
no Shepparton needs to be targeted especially. Thats like the the bogan capital of Victoria.
I have family that I need to save first, but fair do.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i_am_ben said:

i'm not going to burn myself am I!

*hides his Adelaide Rams membership card*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Cute. I love how people down south and in big cities think they are somehow smarter than everyone else, i mean what is it that's meant to make you smarter...... 2 minute showers?. Going of the Aus Gaf thread and the election thread it's oh so lol worthy that you guys seem to think you are mentally superior.

Oh where exactly where the race riots again? :D
No, I think I'm smarter than most people. I don't discriminate by place of residence.

justjohn

I'm a black male from UK and I spent a year living with my Australian girlfriend(White) in Brisbane some time ago and it was probably the best year of my life.

dont remmember one incident of racist behaviour aimed at me, and I spent a fuckton of time in bars, pubs and clubs. Aussies are fun loving awesome fuckers and I'm seriously thinking of moving back there permanently.

Salazar

justjohn said:
I'm a black male from UK and I spent a year living with my Australian girlfriend(White) in Brisbane some time ago and it was probably the best year of my life.

YEAH, rep Brisbane :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
justjohn said:

dont remmember one incident of racist behaviour aimed at me, and I spent a fuckton of time in bars, pubs and clubs. Aussies are fun loving awesome fuckers and I'm seriously thinking of moving back there permanently.
I haven't spent a serious amount of time overseas, but I tend to think that the ratio of discrimination in Australia isn't significantly higher than any other Western country. Living in Australia versus the UK versus the US ultimately isn't going to be a significantly different experience. We consume the same style of media and are inspired by the same people.

Anyone's milage can and will vary depending on whichever random people they mix with in any random town.

The Aboriginal thing is a messy situation. The reality is that there are still large groups perpetuating the lazy, aggressive stereotype, and it's hurting everyone.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'm of decidedly average intelligence. However, I do tend to be more considerate than most... which in a way means I'm smarter........

Tntnnbltn said:
You have to go.

:lol :lol

FuturusX

$200 said:
Well we Asians get discriminated just as much. We don't go around all day complaining and asking for benefits from the government.

Where to begin...Wrong on every level. Not merely racist, but wilfully nonsensical. Bravo!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Everyone knows the only good part of Australia is the little island to the south.

Rez said:
The Aboriginal thing is a messy situation. The reality is that there are still large groups perpetuating the lazy, aggressive stereotype, and it's hurting everyone.
I've told you before that I love you. Now stop it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
(I think a lot of Australian's put national pride above rational thinking, making them seem a tad less bright when they're actually super-cool, which once again makes us about the same as the rest of the world. Except maybe the UK. You guys hate yourselves for some reason.)

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
speedpop said:
Everyone knows the only good part of Australia is the little island to the south.

I've told you before that I love you. Now stop it.

speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(Today, 09:12 AM)
Reply | Quote

this could get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom