• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN says discrimination embedded in Australia - GAF was right

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Obviously the whole article deserves to be read.

The United Nations human rights panel has rebuked the Australian government over its treatment of Aboriginals.

At the release of a report from the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) in Geneva, one of the authors said discrimination has become "embedded" in the Australian way of life.

Committee member Patrick Thornberry lamented the fact that the Australian constitution lacks any entrenched protection against racial discrimination.

He said that that had led to a kind of structurally embedded discrimination in the way the Aboriginal intervention was being handled in the Northern Territory.

"That may be a certain disappointment, if I may say so, that this issue particularly to do with Aboriginal communities - it could have been handled in a more sensitive and culturally sensitive way," he said.

The committee criticised what it called the "unacceptably high level of disadvantage and social dislocation" for Indigenous people in the Northern Territory.

It welcomed the Labor government's national apology to Indigenous Australians, but said that concrete steps to increase life expectancy or improve the rate of deaths in custody had not yet been demonstrated.

The committee's recommendations were issued in a report following a regular review of Australia's compliance with an international treaty of 1969 prohibiting racism.

The report also raised concerns about the handling of refugees and asylum seekers, as well as anti-terrorism measures; discrimination against newer, mainly Muslim, ethnic communities; and assaults on foreign students.

Refugees

CERD voiced concerns that the policy of processing refugees outside Australia meant that people seeking shelter in Australia were not being treated properly.

The treatment of refugees, especially those arriving from Afghanistan and Sri Lanka by boat, was a contentious issue during the federal election campaign.

On processing refugees, the committee recommended that the government:

* Review its mandatory detention regime for asylum seekers so that detention is a measure of last resort;
* End the suspension of processing visa applications from Afghanistan and standardise asylum processes regardless of the country of origin or form of entry;
* Develop proper reception arrangements, especially for children, some of whom are kept in detention-like conditions away from their parents;
* Ensure that asylum seekers are not forced back to their countries of origin when they are being returned.

Companies targeted

The panel also said Australia must tighten rules governing the behaviour of its companies, especially mining firms, towards indigenous people at home and abroad.

"The committee notes with concern the absence of a legal framework regulating the obligation of Australian corporations at home and overseas whose activities, notably in the extractive sector, when carried out on the traditional territories of indigenous peoples, have had a negative impact on indigenous peoples' rights to land, health, living environment and livelihoods," it said.

The 18-member committee of independent experts on racism also told Australia to do more to integrate recent immigrants from Africa, Asia, the Middle East and other Muslim countries and tackle racism against Indigenous people in Australia.

Suggestions included negotiating a treaty with Indigenous Australians, giving them better access to legal aid and tackling laws in the Northern Territory that discriminate on the basis of race.

The committee bemoaned the fact that Australia had not complied with all its previous recommendations and asked the government to report back on what it was doing about the latest concerns and recommendations at the end of October, 2012.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/28/2996007.htm

Obligatory gallery:

australia1.jpg
australia2.jpg

australia3.jpg
australia4.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
what's the point of even using the acronym "AWOL FIFO" if every time you need to use it, you need to explain it?

Roto13

It's like the shitty parts of the US broke off and formed a country and developed an even more annoying accent. (I'm sorry Aussie GAF but your accents annoy the fuck out of me.)

Cyan

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
what's the point of even using the acronym "AWOL FIFO" if every time you need to use it, you need to explain it?
Absent Without Leave, I know that one.

FIFO--something to do with soccer?

Someone please enlighten me why there is opposition to multiculturalism in some parts of society. I'm a strong advocate of the idea that the only effective way to rid us of all forms of discrimination and prejudice, whether it be based on race, gender, culture or faith, is to encourage that diversity to become neighbours. One of the most consistent concerns raised about multiculturalism is the fear that it means failure to integrate yourself to the host culture or even that host culture being forgotten in the stampede of new ones. I understand that our heritage and tradition is part of our identity, but in the fear that we may lose sight of our history, we risk losing a harmonious future. People need to and can respect each other but it has to begin in acknowledging that whatever differences there are, they are minor to the bigger issue. Right now people are just focused on those differences rather than what they share in common. In my childhood, we had a group of friends from all backgrounds, multiple faiths, completely different sounding names with different types of home cooked foods; and yet we saw each other no differently than what we saw in the mirror.

I'm not sure if this particular story in Australia relates to specifically what I'm saying but it does echo of the similarities brought up here in debates about UK society. I've never understood this "way of life" counter-argument and I've never been fond of the characters that propagate it.

Bah, I'm off to eat my curry

harSon

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Someone please enlighten me why there is opposition to multiculturalism in some parts of society. I'm a strong advocate of the idea that the only effective way to rid us of all forms of discrimination and prejudice, whether it be based on race, gender, culture or faith, is to encourage that diversity to become neighbours. One of the most consistent concerns raised about multiculturalism is the fear that it means failure to integrate yourself to the host culture or even that host culture being forgotten in the stampede of new ones. I understand that our heritage and tradition is part of our identity, but in that fear that we may lose sight of our history, we risk losing a harmonious future.

I'm not sure if this particular story in Australia relates to specifically what I'm saying but it does echo of the similarities brought up here in debates about UK society.

No clue but Multiculturalism is awesome.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
shaft said:
Australians are like barbarians from the roman era.

Your like a mentally handicapped retard............ from the now era.

Suggestions included negotiating a treaty with Indigenous Australians, giving them better access to legal aid and tackling laws in the Northern Territory that discriminate on the basis of race.

:lol :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
harSon said:
No clue but Multiculturalism is awesome.

The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu: “Multiculturalism has seemed to imply, wrongly for me, let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains,” he said.

I understand that our heritage and tradition is part of our identity, but in the fear that we may lose sight of our history, we risk losing a harmonious future.

If by "harmonious" just gloss over differences and have to change just so others can feel welcome, no thanks. Multicult is a warped idea that you can live and let live and just keep quiet about certain aspects that go against the majority norms and culture.

Now Assimilation is a much better fit for society because newcomers have to fit it and you get a different kind of another culture. Multiculturalism as it is practiced today just promotes a wretched form of tribalism.

ATF487

speedpop said:
Obligatory gallery:

australia1.jpg

I love this one because Australia has one of the smallest population densities on the planet. If you're going to be a bigot, at least send them to the outback, don't pretend like there's no room

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Hasan said:
Is it really that bad there? Aussie gaf please explain.

No. Sure you will get some self hating Aussie's in here saying its terrible and that they cant walk their black dog down the street without fear of it being accosted. But no, it no worse than any other multicultural society.

El Sloth

Banned
B.K. said:
What do you expect from people that are descendants of criminals?

So you're discriminating against Australians in a thread about the Australian Government discriminating against the Aboriginal communities? Huh.

shaft said:
Australians are like barbarians from the roman era.

And a irrationally hateful comment about a group of people within Australia being irrationality hateful.

These replies make perfect sense.

I didn't think so until I came here on gaf. After the KFC commercial and the black face thing...

It can't be though...cause Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman are so awesome.

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
No. Sure you will get some self hating Aussie's in here saying its terrible and that they cant walk their black dog down the street without fear of it being accosted. But no, it no worse than any other multicultural society.

And for an Anglophone island in Asia, Australia has managed alright. Splendidly, in some respects.

What Patrick Thornberry actually says is that discrimination is embedded in the treatment of Aborigines in the NT. Not that it is 'embedded in the Australian way of life'. That would be bullshit.

Bad title, Speedpop.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ripclawe said:
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu: “Multiculturalism has seemed to imply, wrongly for me, let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains,” he said.

If by "harmonious" just gloss over differences and have to change just so others can feel welcome, no thanks. Multicult is a warped idea that you can live and let live and just keep quiet about certain aspects that go against the majority norms and culture.

Now Assimilation is a much better fit for society because newcomers have to fit it and you get a different kind of another culture. Multiculturalism as it is practiced today just promotes a wretched form of tribalism.
I can't believe I'm in agreement with Ripclawe.

What the fuck.

vazel

Banned
I think it's just a matter of Australia still being too close in history to government sanctioned racism. Weren't White Australia laws repealed in the 1970s?

Roto13

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I didn't think so until I came here on gaf. After the KFC commercial and the black face thing...

It can't be though...cause Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman are so awesome.
Hugh Jackman is the thing Australia should be most ashamed of.

harSon

Banned
Ripclawe said:

Assimilation is a competent alternative if the process is left up to the individuals in question, but I'd much rather have Multiculturalism than forced Assimilation. Multiculturalism within reason (ie. there are limits to acceptable cultural norms) is perfectly fine and it eventually leads to Assimilation with future generations. I live within a city that has a sizable 'Little Mexico' and 'Little Saigon', on top of the rest of the city that is perfectly integrated, and there haven't been any significant problems. Hell, it's (San Jose, CA) one of the safest cities in the United States with a population over 500,000.

Mr. Sam

Eh, I think it's more a lack of sensitivity than intentional discrimination. But, y'know, a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ATF487 said:
I love this one because Australia has one of the smallest population densities on the planet. If you're going to be a bigot, at least send them to the outback, don't pretend like there's no room

That's.. sort of what they do.

Reprise

Neo Member
It's not as bad as it's made out to be. Yes there are idiots, but they are present in every culture and try as hard as you can you just can't kill dumb.

Where I used to work I called it the UN, basically because there's one person from each country represented and everyone got on along alright (except with management but that's a different story). I'd say this aspect of getting along is strong throughout the community.

The intervention in the NT is a tough one, there was rampant child abuse and abuse of alcohol which forced the governments hand to try and stop it. I haven't followed too closely since it started but I hope it has helped things somewhat and can be ended soon.

The Indian student thing from what I can recall was a media beat up, many major cases which were attributed to Australians were actually caused by fellow Indians themselves, but that never got as high headlines. The fact the media kept pushing this made it worse, as the dumb idiots (who were from different backgrounds not just Anglo) saw the headlines and probably thought "hey durr lets rob/bash up this Indian guy for fun".

There is a bit of backlash against immigration at the moment, a little from the durrr side but also strong considered reasons as well. Immigration tends to cause new residents to either move to Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane (cause thats where most of the jobs are at the moment).

In Sydney our government response to infrastructure has been somewhat lacking (to put it mildly) with barely any public transport being built to the western suburbs (where a majority of Sydneysiders live). Also there have been environmental reasons as we only have one major water dam to service the entire basin. After the drought we had recently it was clear we were approaching the limits on how many people we could sustain in the Sydney basin.

Coupled with increased immigration (both skilled and refugee) many people are seeing themselves priced out of the property market and forced to rent which pretty much goes against the "great australian dream" of buying your own 1/4 acre block home. Frustration breeds resentment and so on.

Hopefully the NBN (Fibre broadband across the country) gets through the current political turmoil as it can help create new regional centres and take the strain off the major cities.

Cheshire

FIFO as mostly used here is Fly In Fly Out, which is a job type for people working on the mines. They get flown in and flown out of a capital city for work...

The issue with the Aboriginals up north is a bloody mess. There doesn't seem to be a solution that doesn't result in discrimination of some kind. Better access to psychs and doctors maybe, but just TRY and get an aboriginal to go to a psych, and there isn't enough health staff in large country towns let alone remote communities.

They had that alcohol ban up in the north of WA in indigenous communities, I was talking to an aboriginal lady who was from a main town called Broome, and she said that since then you just get car loads of these remote aboriginals rock up on pay day and buy their booze there.

I think it's all well and good for the UN to state the problem needs to be fixed, we've all known that for ages, but where's the suggestions?

The other thing I discussed with the lady is equality. Now I understand the need for help for the aboriginals but throwing money at them isn't helping and makes the demand for equality hard. There is no incentive to work, to study to do anything. Aboriginals are nomadic, they aren't into the fixed address and job thing. And after all these hand outs, some of which are needed, some aren't right, and the aboriginal people harp on about equality... makes it a bit hard. We want equality but we want all this extra stuff too. That isn't true equality and just builds resentment in non-aboriginal people.

As for the Indian student racial violence, that was from other immigrants.

Actually up the road from me there is an Afghani asylum family, they came over the proper way, parents don't speak English, kids do now. I helped the daughter a bit when she approached me in the park one day while I was walking my dog and asked me about some pronunciation in her reader material. Since then she and comes out and has a chat with me when she spots me. Boys are a bit shy but they still wave. Nice family actually.

I don't think it's particularly bad here, people say things but they hardly eventuate and very rarely do I see face to face discrimination. I live in a high immigrant and aboriginal suburb and I never have any trouble, the ones I know are really nice. I don't think pure multiculturalism works, there needs to be some degree of assimilation but it's important for immigrants and indigenous folk to keep hold of some tradition. If they lose that they lose their identity and we open up a whole other can of worms re: crime, violence and resentment due to a loss of identity (which happens with some urban aboriginal kids who have lost touch with their culture, but there are a few programs now designed to get these kids involved with their culture, not sure on the success and such).

Ripclawe said:

The Archbishop himself concedes there is ambiguity of what 'Britishness' precisely entails, but to him, however, Britain is a place where "that has allowed reason to be at the heart of all these things, that has allowed genuine dissent without resort to violence, that has allowed the fantastic music that we experience in our culture". The ironic fact is that no one is challenging or questioning the values of British society, much less any host society.

'Assimilation', the buzzword for the opposing stance, in my opinion reflects the poor understanding in this debate. It assumes that there is no intent or interest in integrating into society or adopting some of the values. It's a ridiculous generalisation. Firstly, there is no set of mannerisms, conduct or opinion mandate that unites, defines and distinguishes most societies from others. I'm not Caucasian, or born in this country and so if you lined me up with any random group of people in London; how could you determine how 'British' I am? I probably approve of the Royal Family, something that others born in this country who are considered British may not do. I probably have more of an extensive knowledge and admiration for British history; something that others born in this country may not. I am probably more thankful to this country than others, who were born here may be. I probably respect and approve of the institutional practices in this country, maybe more so than others born in this country are. But at the same time, I'm not a regular at the pub - although I would love to go to Wembley or visit my football team every weekend.

What is the measurement of how British one must be?

When someone comes to country X, they come with their own heritage and tradition. They will not forget or abandon that the moment they step a foot on the shore. First generation children are particularly interesting. Regardless of how proud their parents are of their tradition, these children (in my experience) are more likely to identify themselves of the nationality of the country of their birth simply because they grew up in that culture. Having said that, they do not ignore their heritage. Neither do the second or third generation. These children are going to be the effects of immigration and I don't think anyone can call question their 'British' identity simply because they were born to immigrant parents. I think for most people, being born here and growing up in your host country, is good enough for them to consider you British/Australian/American or whatever.

Multiculturalism is a natural consequence of people from different backgrounds mixing together or at least being aware of the other's cultural distinctiveness. That doesn't as a result equate to those minorities segregating themselves from society. Interestingly this debate came up a couple of months ago after the Burkha arguments going around in the media. Some people disregarded that these women were wearing it in expression of their freedom of religion (perhaps not something inherently British judging from our history, but something we as Britons can be proud of to uphold now) and instead decided to focus on how absurd and alien this figure was in comparison to the rest of society; it was a challenge our culture and it propelled the 'assimilation' point into public discussions. And yet the whole thing was based on a foreign piece of clothing.

And how do you measure assimilation? Do you put a limit on how many 'diverse' restaurants you can open? How many temples you can build? If you're talking about assimilating to acknowledge the host countries values and try to adopt some, or at least respect them; then there is no debate here, I absolutely agree. If it's suggesting that these people cannot be free to express themselves (within reason of course), or celebrate their own heritage, then I consider that an insult strong enough to trigger divisions.

Multiculturalism as it is practiced today just promotes a wretched form of tribalism.

That doesn't undermine the concept though. I have no defence of those who practice it to isolate themselves aggressively. Look at states in Europe, or Russia, where ethnic minorities are a rarity; this increases the probability of racial prejudice to thrive. For those groups of Russians or Italians who dislike blacks, even there are is hardly any of them there, that tribalism still exists irrespective. And then I look at our society where you'll never see a race riot in certain cities in this country.

Multiculturalism can be better improved. Assimilation only achieves in highlighting the minor differences (causing the above in the OP and racial discrimination) - we're all fucking made of flesh and blood, want the best for our children, take a dump, eat food and drink water, cry when hurt and laugh. This isn't even about nationality or how American/Australian/Britain one should be. Most people in real life on a daily basis don't care what country you're from if you respect them and show courtesy; this should be the requirements of us in society, not how thick your accent is

This is more of an idealogical plea on my behalf as opposed to a political comment

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The United Nations human rights panel has rebuked the Australian government over its treatment of Aboriginals.

I thought my aussie flatmate was just incorrectly calling them that. I thought it was Aborigines.

In fact, isn't it actually that?

seanoff

Hasan said:
Is it really that bad there? Aussie gaf please explain.

No, not even close. This is a report that points out some tensions. What a shock, country with millions of people has some problems. often with a minority of people on either side.

take muslims, some really don't help themselves by refusing to fratenise with non-muslims because of some obtuse, probably misunderstood verse in some book wirtten 1400 yrs ago. if you don't want to be part of the wider society, why should the wider society pander to your whims.

This is only a minority that do that, but it does give pause to everyone else when dealing with someone from the middle east because you have no idea of the reaction you're going to get, so up go the defences.

The problems with the blackfellas are very deep and insoluble in the short term. Blackfellas were nomadic, tribal peoples who lived in scattered family groups and lived off the land. there was little of the pointers we use to define a modern society. no towns, little or no organised agriculture, no roads, very little trade, etc. it is a completely different thing to what most of us know. many of them esp in the NT have been catapulted into this different society within the last 40 - 50 yrs and many are struggling to cope.

how to solve this is difficult.

i'll take education. many community schools have an appalling attendance record, often because the kids are taken out for cultural activities, or to go to their homelands. but something has to give and it's the education. hard to survive in a modern world, if you can't read and write or add up.

so what's it to be education or culture. you choose. it's been too hard for us. if you force education, you're accused of killing the culture. If you let the culture run, you're accused of neglecting education. no fucking win option if you are a whitefella/yellowfella in govt.

well almost half of our country voted for Abbott this election so can't say I'm surprised, a guy who campaigned on 'stop the boats' :( This country, smh

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

teacupcopter said:
well almost half of our country voted for Abbott this election so can't say I'm surprised, a guy who campaigned on 'stop the boats' :( This country, smh

Yeah sure, had nothing to do with Labor suckin ass and a whole host of other shit.......... was all because no one likes boat people.

This tard, smh.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
What we need is another beach side riot where a bunch of drunk children of immigrant parents get mad about people immigrating to "their" country. :lol

harSon

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Yeah sure, had nothing to do with Labor suckin ass and a whole host of other shit.......... was all because no one likes boat people.

This tard, smh.

I don't know much about him but he seems like a complete dick, or at least that's the impression I got with a quick Google search. He seems pretty comparable to many of the crazy right wing politicians in the United States, which is not exactly a compliment, depending on which way you lean of course.

Ripclawe said:
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu: “Multiculturalism has seemed to imply, wrongly for me, let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains,” he said. .
I never know what 'multiculturism' means. But I know it does not mean that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom