• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human IGN video - RPG Systems, Gameplay, Arenas & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFChris

glaurung said:
Giant golden bear attack for the ultimate win?

What the hell is this game trying to do some Power Rangers stuff now?

That equipment screen looks cluttered and weak, but at least there seems to be more of a system than in Mass Effect ever was.

Equipment screen looks good to me. Armour all seperated into catagories, current equiptment shown at the top and changed equipment at the bottom. I don't see how it's cluttered, and I don't understand what you mean by weak.

glaurung

FFChris said:
Equipment screen looks good to me. Armour all seperated into catagories, current equiptment shown at the top and changed equipment at the bottom. I don't see how it's cluttered, and I don't understand what you mean by weak.

Hell, it could be just my personal preference, but the entire Arial font thing has grown real old. That's what I call weak.

The other thing that troubles me is that the button legend at the bottom of the screen takes up way too much room - couldn't they just put one button for help and then call up the legend when necessary. I am quite sure that it will become obsolete after 2h of play.

And the last thing is that it doesn't really look that HD to me. The texts are way too big, the item description seems to have only two lines of optional text, which is something that I do not like in an RPG.

But that's just me, and I could be wrong, and maybe that's a terrible tragedy.

FFChris

glaurung said:
Hell, it could be just my personal preference, but the entire Arial font thing has grown real old. That's what I call weak.

The other thing that troubles me is that the button legend at the bottom of the screen takes up way too much room - couldn't they just put one button for help and then call up the legend when necessary. I am quite sure that it will become obsolete after 2h of play.

And the last thing is that it doesn't really look that HD to me. The texts are way too big, the item description seems to have only two lines of optional text, which is something that I do not like in an RPG.

But that's just me, and I could be wrong, and maybe that's a terrible tragedy.

Ok, you do have a point. The button legends at the bottom do seem as though they could be minimized, and the text is rather plain. But still, this is an inventory system.

For me, as long as it isn't as terrible as the Mass Effect system, I'll be reletively happy with it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I was watching this video and I just realized, the whole right analog stick thing is the way it is because its essentially replacing mouse clicks.

Not sure if it's a good idea, but an interesting design choice none the less.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hey Blimblim, when I watched the movie through the stream on gamersyde, the video was very slow and sound wasn't synced. Never have any problems watching movies on your website either.

Shake Appeal said:
So apparently nobody at K0taku has played Baldur's Gate...

The entire preview seemed off to me. They compared the combat in Too Human to an action game and said that it disappoints in that respect, and then turn around and vilify the game for having a cheesy cutscene? Apparently they haven't played a Devil May Cry game either...........

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MMaRsu said:
Hey Blimblim, when I watched the movie through the stream on gamersyde, the video was very slow and sound wasn't synced. Never have any problems watching movies on your website either.
Yeah, I'm putting the finishing touch to a new flv reencoding system that will hopefully fix this. We are running on a new encoding server with a new version of the various tools I use and it didn't work as before.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The level cap for that first game is 50, though reaching it is no easy task. There's one case of a Silicon Knights employee with a character in the mid-40s. The time it took to reach there was more than 40 hours. Balancing isn't done, but 40 to 60 hours to reach that point sounded about right to Dyack. "I would say conceptually or content-wise it's bigger than most games I've seen in a very long time."

Just for those who continue to judge this title as an all action masher.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am feeling more and more optimistic about this game. 4 player co-op, loot, great action and RPG elements, and an interesting story all make for a great game. Please, come out soon!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Also, I'm compiling a list of folks who will not get to play co-op with me based on bullshit Too Human trolling. It's 45 pages long. 4 point type.

keanerie

Dyack does what Blizzard won't?

Come on Blizz, looks like the gauntlet's been thrown back at you.

GIVE ME D3 NOW *cries*

Mash

urk said:
Also, I'm compiling a list of folks who will not get to play co-op with me based on bullshit Too Human trolling. It's 45 pages long. 4 point type.

I'm sure every single person on that list cares.

eve241

bdouble said:
I disagree that you can compare it to DMC/NG. Those animations are canned for each attack and combo. This system uses the control stick and they don't know exactly what you are going to do next. Its gonna look a little weird when you try to predict what the play is going to do or what they could do. Then you add in special attacks into any part of the normal attacks and you have a whole new problem.

Exactly. The animations are in-line with what is trying to be accomplished.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
There is absolutely no reason to disparage this game because some of you don't like Denis Dyack. If you don't like the game design, then say your critique and move on. If you don't like Denis Dyack, make a thread about it. Too Human is trying to do something different and I am at least willing at this point to give it the benefit of the doubt. All of this trolling got tiresome a long time ago and I am amazed that the blatant trolling against a game is allowed.

ElyrionX

The damn combat still looks weird as fuck. There's no weight or impact to the attacks at all and I would imagine something like that would be crucial to an action game. Just look at DMC4 and Dante's Stinger attack to get what I mean. That attack has the impact both in terms of visual and audio effects. I just don't get that feeling from Too Human.

WrikaWrek

Banned
krzyspc said:
To look like shit?

They are doing a good job at it.

img473317bb3e047.gif

Geoff9920

Screw the haters, SK looks like they may actually deliver on a lot of the gameplay concepts they originally promised. Besides, if you need to compare it to something, compare it to Diablo. Juggling aside, this is not trying to be DMC4/NG.

Bizzyb

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:
Everything about this game looks half-assed, directionless and retardedly generic.

This game is going to get fucking clobbered by reviewers.

What??

you must be joking

eve241

krzyspc said:
To look like shit?

They are doing a good job at it.

When a game is judged solely on it's animation without even trying to contextualize it (WoW doesn't feature Ninja Gaiden-esque animation, for example, and that doesn't stop people from loving the game - they know if you are going to have that kind of game the animation is not supposed to be the main focus) it's easy to feel disappointed.

"the game runs in true 720p with 4x anti-aliasing and can still handle 50-70 enemies on screen at once"

shifty100

Banned
I am dissapointed with what I have saw, as no doubt has been stated 100 times already, animation is poor, action looks weak and attacks lack impact or weight, graphics are mediocre to say the least ( although I suppose the delays have done this part of the game no favours ).

It seems dated before release and the delays have helped to feed the hype that so far it doesn't deserve.

Plus the having the weight of it being one of 08's biggest releases for 360 has probably help elevate it beyond what it actually is.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
the combat does'nt look very natural at all, and framerate and animation is not helping the cause either

it looks like they have a vision of the storyline, mythology, locals and characters down, but the gameplay is missing the mark for me.

krzyspc

Banned
Endow said:
When a game is judged solely on it's animation without even trying to contextualize it (WoW doesn't feature Ninja Gaiden-esque animation, for example, and that doesn't stop people from loving the game - they know if you are going to have that kind of game the animation is not supposed to be the main focus) it's easy to feel disappointed.

"the game runs in true 720p with 4x anti-aliasing and can still handle 50-70 enemies on screen at once"

Look at the witcher, some of the smoothing animations for a point and click RP, and to me that is what kept me going. Where other games like NWK I just could not play due to combat being so weak.

First time you play through these dungeon crawlers you can let the combat slide, becuase the story is new, but once you are just doing loot runs, all you have is combat. Which is why it needs to be the most important part of the game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Damn it really looks like diablo but pretty now. Still hoping for a demo soon.

First time you play through these dungeon crawlers you can let the combat slide, becuase the story is new, but once you are just doing loot runs, all you have is combat. Which is why it needs to be the most important part of the game.

Combat is important but what you see isnt as important as the numbers and skills going on in the background, thats what Diablo, WoW etc proved, if they have a good loot system (looks like it), good skill trees and varied enemies, the number of frames in a sword slice animation wont matter.

keanerie

krzyspc said:
dungeon crawlers you can let the combat slide, becuase the story is new, but once you are just doing loot runs, all you have is combat. Which is why it needs to be the most important part of the game.

Once you are just doing loot runs, all you have is loot - combat needs to be just satisfying enough to make the process of getting the loot not completely mindless. But let's be sure that it's not the combat that you're farming bosses for, it's the loot. If Too Human gets that right, I'll be happy. Then again from what they were saying in the vid, they want to have both sides of the coin - twitch gamers and loot happy ones both satisfied. So far I think it looks just fine. My only apprehension is that damn dash move - it just looks like the dude is getting pulled from one side of an ice rink to another. But that's probably something I hope to forget about if everything else is compelling enough.

ToddG15

Am I the only one more worried about how good or bad the story of the game will be? That's by far what I care the most about with Too Human. Admittedly, I won't play the game if graphics/combat/etc are god-awful but so far nothing I've seen looks that horrendous.

Zabka

Endow said:
In the context of any genre the animation is horrible. The way the character slides around and weightlessly swings his weapon while spinning like he's got a pole up his ass reminds of the old table hockey games.

krzyspc

Banned
keanerie said:
Once you are just doing loot runs, all you have is loot - combat needs to be just satisfying enough to make the process of getting the loot not completely mindless. But let's be sure that it's not the combat that you're farming bosses for, it's the loot. If Too Human gets that right, I'll be happy. Then again from what they were saying in the vid, they want to have both sides of the coin - twitch gamers and loot happy ones both satisfied. So far I think it looks just fine. My only apprehension is that damn dash move - it just looks like the dude is getting pulled from one side of an ice rink to another. But that's probably something I hope to forget about if everything else is compelling enough.

You missed my first half of the post, where I mentioned NWK where the combat was horrible making the game unplayable despite having a very indepth system.

It is just so fundamental to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom