• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami on right now!? Is this an April Fool's troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I think they should just keep regular adult swim and then just replace Saturday nights with Toonami

Also they should air the new Funi dub of One Piece

As much as I'm indifferent to much of Adult Swim's programming, I agree with this. Something to look forward to every week .

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
@Andrex
If they can broadcast subs & simucast(sp)...
I would split Toonami into 2 sections

Toonami Classic- Old Shows (Case closed, Big O..etc)
Toonami Today- Current anime (Dub/Sub)

If brought back, keep it regulated to Saturday nights and as time progresses, we'll see if they could maybe have it on Friday nights as well

I think Friday and Saturday would be a good fit

Azure J

Everyone's doing the suggestion thing now and trying to work on selections? I'll update my list for the hell of it:

One Piece (I have a feeling Toonami could make this one blow up DBZ style, especially with Funi's dub washing the bad taste of the 4kids dub out of everyone's mouths)
Bleach
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
Soul Eater (Can't believe I forgot this one, the first episode alone is something I could see a lot of people enjoying -- maybe it could lead to a "Brotherhood" second take series with the new exposure?)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fairy Tail (eh not all that, but Toonami did put on Rave for a time...)
Katanagatari/Sword Story
Casshern Sins
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
Big O (Maybe a Part III?)
Sword of The Stranger (movie but hey...)
The Last Exile
Michiko E Hatchin
Medaka Box
New Lupin The 3rd
Kids on The Slope
Beelzebub (Good for that gag series pick)
Thundercats
Young Justice
Batman:TAS/Beyond
Green Lantern

Someone here suggested Panty, Stocking & Garterbelt and I'm in tears imagining how that would work, more risque Toonami or not. :lol

Whatever the case though, it's absolutely mandatory that the OG Toonami shows have a rotation. I'm talking DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing/G Gundam, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, hell even Sailor Moon if they got ballsy enough to get that license back. From the shows that still see airings on AS, FLCL, Big O, Trigun, Samurai Champloo & Bebop could be strong "oldies but goodies" picks. They should also definitely try to get some of those old school western productions in for a good mix like the Batman/Superman TAS, Reboot, Teen Titans, Justice League and the like. You wouldn't believe how effective the lineup shown on Saturday/Sunday morning was for a lot of older animation heads. Building off that while introducing more modern content that fits with the overall Toonami style is the way to go.

wwm0nkey

I would like to see Deadman Wonderland go on AS/Toonami when it goes up. That show will probably appeal more to the western crowd than it did to the Japanese crowd.

Kad5

I feel like Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal would really suit a late night toonami. It's probably one of the best things in animation and film in general and not just anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyTf1ZU0vI

Yes it's better than the regular anime. It's actually a prequel so you don't even need to watch the anime to enjoy this. It's a 4 episode OVA.

I would like to see Deadman Wonderland go on AS/Toonami when it goes up. That show will probably appeal more to the western crowd than it did to the Japanese crowd.

They wouldn't get away with that if it was aimed at the same demographic as old Toonami. Adult Swim might be able to pull it off with a tv-14 (and sometimes tv-ma) rating.

Jintor

It'd definitely be in their best interests for a PG/M divide of blocks, though they'd probably focus on the PG moneymakers.

wwm0nkey

They wouldn't get away with that if it was aimed at the same demographic as old Toonami. Adult Swim might be able to pull it off with a tv-14 (and sometimes tv-ma) rating.

I think if Toonami does come back it will be the late night block first which Deadman Wonderland would be great for, but ONLY the late night block for obvious reasons.

Maron

They actually did air Funi's One Piece, but they started at the beginning of Skypiea for some reason; if they start it from Episode 1 it might do good,

They started at Skypeia since it was right after where 4Kids left off. And the ratings for the FUNi dub were actually increasing, but CN thought it wasn't increasing enough. Even the 4Kids OP had nice ratings, it was right behind Naruto but that's still very good.

CN thought the ratings would jump exponentially with zero promotion and advertising.

Bout to do my part (again) in sending a #BringToonamiBack Tweet.

2 years of filler probably. They should've just skipped it.

Yup. For the final days of Toonami Naruto was the only thing they had going for them, and with that slipping in the ratings due to filler not going anywhere week after week, they had nothing.

Ripclawe

Banned
Yup. For the final days of Toonami Naruto was the only thing they had going for them, and with that slipping in the ratings due to filler not going anywhere week after week, they had nothing.

is that the reason anime in general failed? Hot show starts, hit filler, drop off. Have enough sense to edit yourselves

Instro

If they do come back, Toriko would be the perfect pickup as a new shounen series. It's a great show, and fans of old school style action anime would like it a lot.

They started at Skypeia since it was right after where 4Kids left off. And the ratings for the FUNi dub were actually increasing, but CN thought it wasn't increasing enough. Even the 4Kids OP had nice ratings, it was right behind Naruto but that's still very good.

CN thought the ratings would jump exponentially with zero promotion and advertising.

Bout to do my part (again) in sending a #BringToonamiBack Tweet.

Didn't help that they also did a 72 hour Marathon of it.

is that the reason anime in general failed? Hot show starts, hit filler, drop off. Have enough sense to edit yourselves

Well it's not quite that simple. Only a handful of shows last hundreds of episodes that require filler so as not to catch up to the source material.

There are loads of reason why anime is in the state it's in, but that isn't really one of them (though it did contribute to toonami's death in the case of Naruto).

Jintor

I think it contributed to the lack of willingness of networks to air anime, which has a substantial role to play in why the market is doing what it is doing.

Consumption is at roughly equal or higher levels but the difference is that not as many people are really paying for it. Not direct consumers, not advertisers, not networks, nobody.

wonzo

Banned
I wonder how they would handle Ralph in a Toonami edit.
ralph would have to be pretty low on the list when it comes to the rather interesting edits toonami would make to such a masterclass work.

the galaxy in revolution. rennaisance

arivalryoftheages.gif

That and rampant piracy, yes
I've always felt the piracy thing was way overblown. If you have a bunch of good shows playing in sequence, it's a lot more convenient to watch on TV than it is to track them down online.

Yes, you can get a more immediate fix by watching subs online, but only nerds
no offense
want to watch subs.

IMO the biggest problem Toonami (and AS to some extent) had in the past was their "year long" scheduling. They didn't have 52 weeks of content, but they always tried to stretch it. A part time schedule would work great, I think. Make it an event. Bundle all the new episodes and all the new shows together. Only show the best stuff. "THIS FALL, ON TOONAMI..." etc

Jintor

I've always felt the piracy thing was way overblown. If you have a bunch of good shows playing in sequence, it's a lot more convenient to watch on TV than it is to track them down online.

Yes, you can get a more immediate fix by watching subs online, but only nerds
no offense
want to watch subs.

It's not really about subs, Japanese purity, or whatever. It's about being able to access the material whenever you want, in whatever order you want them in, with a very low opportunity cost associated with it. It is ridiculously, ridiculously easy to learn how to torrent shows; the average 14 year old can learn how in less than an hour. Add the advantages of being on-track with Japan - that is to say, getting the newest content as soon as it's available - and you have a devastating situation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If they make a Kickstarter I will donate like 3/4 of a paycheck.

If they bring it back without that... I'll tune in every time for at least a year. No matter how crap the quality is or if it interferes with other shows I watch.

Dead and buried to full revival in under a week, insanely impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom