• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 best selling video game series on console/PC for 2005-2013 (starts at 22M)

Zeeman

Dkrv2vN.png

Slide 8 is an interesting slide as well.

Another interesting little tidbit was on the AC Unity slide: "French Revolution setting as strong as American Revolution." And the Watch_Dogs slide bears no mention of the Wii U even having a release date.

It's a bit odd that they exclude Nintendo games on the slide, though I guess it makes their games look better

CoD really is a beast, they deserve it too. Ghosts is the first one I skipped though, I expect a decline from now on unless they get rid of all their bullshit in MP.
GTA is the real winner, good to know we'll get to enjoy Rockstar's magic for years and years..

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Dkrv2vN.png

Another interesting little tidbit was on the AC Unity slide: "French Revolution setting as strong as American Revolution." And the Watch_Dogs slide bears no mention of the Wii U even having a release date.

Why is Resogun on there?

Anth0ny

Dkrv2vN.png

excluding wii and wii u and casual titles

/dead

Fatbody

*excluding Wii, Wii U, Casual, Portable, Bundles, mobile, games released on an odd number day and even numbered month.

shandy706

Gears of War and Halo in the top 20. I figured at least one of Sony's games would be in there.

I didn't put much time into Gears 3 (think I played through the story and got like 9 achievements out of like 80..lol). I haven't even played Judgment. As for Halo...I still haven't beaten Halo 4 and I never beat ODST.

Why do I buy all these games and not finish them? Derp

I do like Halo and Gears, but I always get distracted by games like Dead Rising, Horizon, FM, The Show, etc...and forget to go back.

excluding wii and wii u and casual titles

Pack-ins and $2 casual stuff doesn't really fit here. They should leave them all out. I'm surprised by the exclusion of Minecraft though. I'd consider it at least on level with Call of Duty as far as everyone (including Hard-Core) buying it.

jrcbandit

Was shocked Gears made the list. Wonder if it will have much impact going forward? All my friends and myself felt done with the franchise after Gears 3.

*excluding Wii, Wii U, Casual, Portable, Bundles, mobile, games released on an odd number day and even numbered month.

The real reason Rayman Legends was delayed to become a mutliplat - to keep it eligible in a list and give them at least a title with a 90 or greater metacritic.

Fatbody

The real reason Rayman Legends was delayed to become a mutliplat - to keep it eligible in a list and give them at least a title with a 90 or greater metacritic.

Yep. And the reason why Watchdogs was delayed is because they need a boost for the next list in 2022. We'll all be debating the numbers in the Neogaf Oculus VR space.

Mory Dunz

Dkrv2vN.png

This is stupid.

If you're going to randomly take out titles to make your games look better, heck, why even include any game that's not yours at all. Just have the entire graph of green games.

If Nintendo released a chart of "Best rated video games", and only included Nintendo games, people would say, "This is extremely stupid", and rightfully so.

I would have to assume no given World of Warcraft.

The digital sales are presumably estimates though given it lists NPD and GFK.

World of Warcraft and the expansions actually sold quite well at retail, and are probably charting where they are based almost entirely on that. (Keep in mind that it's an old game at this point; when it released Battle.net wasn't really a Steam-type games service, people still bought boxed copies of the game.)

BibiMaghoo

'Mario' is it's own series? I thought it had several series to be honest. Lumping them all together kinda seems like reaching, not that they are not popular games.

Shaneus

Surprises for me are Need for Speed on that list and no Sony game making it on there. Thought GT sold a lot?
Forza released *four* (five if you count Horizon) and still didn't make it. I find that kinda surprising, really. But then look at the bottom one... Gears definitely appealed to the more mainstream gamer. So there ya go.

Doesn't include handhelds, judging by the absence of Pokémon or any of Nintendo's Touch Generation software.

Or Wii Sports, apparently.

EDIT - or Smash Bros. Or Mario Kart. Ha ha, what a fucking useless, cherry-picked, tales from my my arse list.

EDIT 2 -

Last of Us confirmed casual by Ubisoft?

Ha ha, this is beautiful! Maybe they thought it was on the Wii U?

'Mario' is it's own series? I thought it had several series to be honest. Lumping them all together kinda seems like reaching, not that they are not popular games.

If they don't lump them together it takes up more space in the top 10 and gives them less opportunity to lie and nab the top spots!

This is stupid.

If you're going to randomly take out titles to make your games look better, heck, why even include any game that's not yours at all. Just have the entire graph of green games.

Seriously.

Can someone make a list including Wii and Wii U titles? And casual titles, whatever the hell that means since Skylanders is on there.

No The Last of Us
No Tearaway
No Killzone Mercenary
No Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
No Luftrausers
No Puppeteer
No TxK
No Ys: Memories of Celceta
No Fez
No Steamworld Dig
No Towerfall Ascension
No Gran Turismo 6

All above 75 metascore, according to Metacritic, and I found those just spending a few minutes looking. What a hilariously, insultingly stupid list.

Daemul

Seriously.

Can someone make a list including Wii and Wii U titles? And casual titles, whatever the hell that means since Skylanders is on there.

From a quick search you can add

Skulls of Shogun(iOS)-93
Super Mario 3D World(Wii U)-93
Papa Sangre II(iOS)-92
Device 6(iOS)-92
Asphalt 8:Airborne(iOS)-91
Fez(PC)-91
The Legend of Zelda-A Link Between Two Worlds(3DS)-91

And many more. There's too many to list.

Sothpaw

Real winner, GTA with only 2 games released and Halo on only single console. Pretty spectacular.

Edit

On bottom of the pic, it says only for physical retail sale. Am I reading this right?

I'm going to go ahead and say COD is the real winner. Release the same shit every year since 2008 and still sell gangbusters? Winning.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mario would be on there twice if you separated platformers from Mario Kart.

As a reminder, Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million units worldwide by its damn self.

Skulls of Shogun(iOS)-93
Papa Sangre II(iOS)-92
Device 6(iOS)-92
Fez(PC)-91

There's your answer then; if they did a real list it would push any of their games out of the top 10 and thus make themselves look worse. I wonder if investors could claim any accountability that the information being presented to them is lies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
he's been in....a lot.

mwTVtgl.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario

All this list does is really highlight how massive GTA is.
Of that list, the only "Mario" games that might apply are:
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Mario Party 8
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Mario Super Sluggers
  • Mario Power Tennis (New Play Control! series)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition
  • Mario Sports Mix
  • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
  • Fortune Street
  • Mario Party 9
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Dr. Luigi
And quite a few of these really shouldn't apply even (the M&S games are probably counted as Sonic games)

Dkrv2vN.png

LOL@"Wii, WiiU, Casual don't count"

These lists are so blatantly cherry picked it's embarrassing.

Eusis

Dkrv2vN.png

When does Fiscal Year start for Ubisoft? And are there any other criteria for omitting titles other than "Wii, Wii U, & casual" because at a minimum I know Atelier Escha & Logy came out the same day as DSII and got 79 metacritic, yet is absent there. Even disregarding them as a small publisher there's still a lack of Final Fantasy X|X-2 though that IS a remake.

EDIT: And with Saints Row IV there A Realm Reborn should be unless their FY started literally in between those two games. That list is a farce.

Skulls of Shogun(iOS)-93
Papa Sangre II(iOS)-92
Device 6(iOS)-92

Fez(PC)-91

I wasn't aware mobile games were even on metacritic.

Eusis

Admittedly I think I can see why mobile gets cut out altogether (presumably as casual) with the scores some of those games get and the number of reviews they actually get. You could easily populate most of that list with just iOS/Android that way. But that still really doesn't justify Wii/Wii U/probably handhelds, and even without those IF it's from April 2013 to March 2014 then... yeah, there's plenty of unambiguous hardcore omissions, period. Most notably The Last of Us, what the fuck?

Pain

Banned
CoD really is a beast, they deserve it too. Ghosts is the first one I skipped though, I expect a decline from now on unless they get rid of all their bullshit in MP.
GTA is the real winner, good to know we'll get to enjoy Rockstar's magic for years and years..
Have you seen Advanced Warfare? That game has the chance to be this gens COD4.

Spinluck

I have a feeling Mario won't even be on the list for 2013-2020

He's number 2 and they're not even counting handhelds.

If they did, Mario and Pokemon would be 1 and 2, and it wouldn't even be close. He'll be on that 2013-2020 list.

And, oh hai sanic.

Top Bottom