• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tor to publish 3 chapters weekly of Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer beginning Aug 22

VanWinkle

Oathbringer_seriestop.jpg

Tor said:
Oathbringer, the eagerly-awaited third installment of Brandon Sanderson’s epic Stormlight Archive fantasy series, arrives on bookshelves on November 14, 2017. Fans of the series can start reading it here on Tor.com for free, starting on Tuesday, August 22!

Tor.com will be hosting a weekly serialization of Oathbringer, leading all the way up to the release day. Every Tuesday, readers will be able to read the next three chapters of Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive, starting with the Prologue: “To Weep” on August 22, then continuing on August 29 with Chapters 1 through 3, and onward up to Chapter 32!

Yes, that’s a lot of the book.

But it’s not nearly all of the book.

Every installment of the serialization will be collected here in the Oathbringer index.

Here’s a handy refresher on the events that occurred in the first two Stormlight Archive novels, as well.

Happy reading! We’ll see you back here bright and early on August 22!

Source

Pure hype.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
gotta get these Graphic Audios once i'm done w Hero of Ages

whats the thing i read before Stormlight? it makes some sentence really crazy in context? sorry i avoided spoilers so i dont know much about it intentionally

VanWinkle

whats the thing i read before Stormlight? it makes some sentence really crazy in context? sorry i avoided spoilers so i dont know much about it intentionally

I would recommend reading Warbreaker before starting Stormlight Book 2.

geeko

Ugggh. As much as I want to read it, it would make the wait to release day worse than it needs to be. MUST RESIST.

ryseing

Warbreaker.

Beaten.

It's not just one sentence though- it's also a major character.

kadotsu

Banned
I love Sanderson series as audiobooks so I'll wait for that release. That said, he continues to be a writing machine.

VanWinkle

I love Sanderson series as audiobooks so I'll wait for that release. That said, he continues to be a writing machine.

He is indeed a machine, but it will have been over three and a half years between Book 2 and this one. So I'm beyond ready for it.

The last two books are among my favorite fantasy novels of all time. Beyond hyped for Oathbringer, but I'll definitely wait to read the complete book!

Temp_User

No thanks. I'm not sadistic enough to torture myself waiting for weeks at a time just to finish a Stormlight chapter . . . . ok maybe if its an interlude chapter.

Jag

Anyone have a good refresher link of the first two books? I *think* I read the first book twice, but I don't remember.

aravuus

This is probably a weird thread to ask but hey. Whatever.

Do these books have these contrived magic systems that the Mistborn books and Warbreaker have? I got one and a half books into Mistborn until I got bored of the metal-eating, couldn't get further than a few chapters into Warbreaker before the color-sucking got annoying.

studyguy

Do these books have these contrived magic systems that the Mistborn books and Warbreaker have? I got one and a half books into Mistborn until I got bored of the metal-eating, couldn't get further than a few chapters into Warbreaker before the color-sucking got annoying.

The Cosmere as it's called all share the same relative characteristics across all his novels related to the same universe. Mistborn, Stormlight, Warbreaker, etc. If you didn't like one, you probably wouldn't like the other in terms of magic system. Though different they all effectively share some similarities you can draw parallels to. That's sort of the point, but again personal preference.

Saya

This one is focused on Dalinar, right? Can't wait. I'll skip the 3 chapters and wait for the full release.

I enjoyed the previous 2. I probably won't read until the full release though.

Definitely not the books for those who don't like video game high fantasy, though.

....specifically what magic systems AREN'T contrived?

You prefer wizard spewing fire from their hands because well... fire is cool?

This one is focused on Dalinar, right? Can't wait. I'll skip the 3 chapters and wait for the full release.

Dalinar is the worst character, so I am not sure how much I will enjoy it.

Hoping for a Jasnah book 4 or 5.

aravuus

....specifically what magic systems AREN'T contrived?

You prefer wizard spewing fire from their hands because well... fire is cool?

No, I mean contrived magic system in the sense that I really don't need or want to know how or why they spew fire from their hands or teleport around or open up mountains and bring down the sky or make people dead. I don't want to read pages and pages of descriptions of how eating a certain metal gives you video game ability x and eating a second metal gives you y. I like magic when it's something that just happens in the world, if that makes sense. I want it to be a mysterious force of nature.

Maybe a clearly defined magic system would've been a better description for what I was going for. The world loses a lot of its appeal for me when the limits of magic are so clearly defined early on.

Googled a bit and the surgebinding these books have definitely sounds like something I really don't care about. So I'll pass, at least for now.

Hmmm I would say that the Way of the Kings is light on that stuff, but one of the key points of the series is characters figuring out just how magic works and what they can do, so the deeper you go the more prominent magic becomes.

FWIW, that definitely sounds like a more interesting way to approach it. I'll add the first book to my to-read list, at the very least.

No, I mean contrived magic system in the sense that I really don't need or want to know how or why they spew fire from their hands or teleport around or open up mountains and bring down the sky or make people dead. I don't want to read pages and pages of descriptions of how eating a certain metal gives you video game ability x and eating a second metal gives you y. I like magic when it's something that just happens in the world, if that makes sense. I want it to be a mysterious force of nature.
Hmmm I would say that the Way of the Kings is light on that stuff, but one of the key points of the series is characters figuring out just how magic works and what they can do, so the deeper you go the more prominent magic becomes.

Maybe a clearly defined magic system would've been a better description for what I was going for. The world loses a lot of its appeal for me when the limits of magic are so clearly defined early on.

Googled a bit and the surgebinding these books have definitely sounds like something I really don't care about. So I'll pass, at least for now.

FWIW, that definitely sounds like a more interesting way to approach it. I'll add the first book to my to-read list, at the very least.
I honestly vastly prefer well defined magic systems because they make it much harder to pull solutions out of your ass

aravuus

I honestly vastly prefer well defined magic systems because they make it much harder to pull solutions out of your ass

It's a double-edged sword, that's for sure.

But while I understand what you mean, I can't say it's something I've ever run into so far with books with looser magic. The way I also see it is that the writer pulling deus ex magickas out of their ass is a clear indication of the book having way more severe problems than the lack of well-defined magic system, and having one wouldn't save it.

Googled a bit and the surgebinding these books have definitely sounds like something I really don't care about. So I'll pass, at least
So, what you hate about Sanderson is what I love about him. I want rules to magic. No rules means that there can be all sorts of "a wizard did it" type answers. Rules means boundaries. Boundaries means there's no cheap way out of situations

Sandoval

Why is everyone talking about Warbreaker? I know that his books are all kind of related, but does Warbreaker tie more directly into the next book or something? I read it nearly 8 years ago, so my memory of it isn't exactly fresh.

Quonny

My brother recently did a "re-read" of WoK and WoR via Graphic Audio and he said it was incredible.

A couple of the accent choices are a little odd (Kaladin sounds like a southern farmboy in the first half of WoK) but I cannot go back after listening to them.

The action scenes especially really hype you up, with sounds of arrow whizzing past or swords clashing.

VanWinkle

Why is everyone talking about Warbreaker? I know that his books are all kind of related, but does Warbreaker tie more directly into the next book or something? I read it nearly 8 years ago, so my memory of it isn't exactly fresh.

It has ties to a character and ending thing in Words of Radiance. It's not something that would blow minds but I thought it was an "Oh wow" moment.

Sandoval

It has ties to a character and ending thing in Words of Radiance. It's not something that would blow minds but I thought it was an "Oh wow" moment.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out again. I think I have a pretty good idea of who you mean now that I think about it...

Tenck

It ties in to the second book of the storm light archive.

I don't care to read it piecemeal like that, but I'm very happy about having summaries. I like the books enough to keep reading but not enough to re-read them to refresh my memory, so that's perfect.

Top Bottom