• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera hitting Early Access Jan 26 (KS backers Jan 17)

Corpekata

Banned
Here we are in 2016, 17 years after the original Planescape Torment hit the scene and became a cult classic. This is finally the year for the spiritual successor to become a reality. I’m proud to tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January. The team is incredibly passionate about this game and it shows in every aspect of their work. Having the opportunity to create a wholly original experience and intricate world is exactly why we got in the games business to begin with.

The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta. It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen a portion of in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs. Sagus is a very old city that was built on top of ancient structures that predate the return of humanity to the Ninth World. It's split into five main districts: Circus Minor, Cliff's Edge, Caravanserai, Government Square and the Underbelly. As you might expect from a city location, it is rich in lore to discover, characters to talk with and obviously quests to complete!

From the latest KS update

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can't wait. Although I won't play an EA RPG, I'd rather wait for the full release. Don't think I have the Beta Tier anyway though.

I can't remember if I backed for the beta, and I kinda don't want to find out. With such a story-based game, I'll wait for the finished product.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely not going to check out the beta. For a game like this I want to wait for the complete thing. That said, I hope they get a lot of good feedback. I have had concerns about inXile's UI before, hopefully they address some of them here.

kionedrik

I don't think I backed this at a beta level but like others have said I would never play this before it is finished. I waited almost 16 years for a PS:T sequel, I can wait a couple more months.

mnannola

This is like the absolute opposite of a game I would play during early access.

Agreed. Who wants to experience an RPG before it's ready? Put 50 hours in and then a bug kills your save or doesn't allow you to progress anymore. No thanks.

Such a weird decision. This is a story based game, what's the point of playing a beta?

free testing to refine the combat and squash bugs (from the dev's point of view).
as a user I would never want to betatest an rpg unless I could wipe my mind of the story afterwards

Such a weird decision. This is a story based game, what's the point of playing a beta?

From the players' point of view? I imagine many people are curious about the crisis system, legacies, tides, etc. Torment may be a story-driven game, but the systems for interacting with that story matter a great deal. The UI alone is bound to be of interest for beta-level backers. Wasteland 2 was a little deficient on that front.

epmode

They did the same thing with Wasteland 2 and it really helped them. Larian also did it with Divinity: Original Sin (although that's not so big on story).

I probably won't play it though.

edit: How could I forget Obsidian and Pillars of Eternity? Public betas really improve games like this. Lots of good suggestions get implemented.

Labadal

Yes, Yes, Yes!

This topic needs more love.

I think the writing of the Alpha was already on a solid level.

1920x1080.jpg

Dsyndrome

I have no idea if I even qualify for the Beta, got the Digital Collector's Pledge via the Portal site after the fact. Will have to see if it's included, already sucks I don't get backer updates.

On one hand I really want to play this, on the other I can't think of a game less suited to the Early Access model of game development than this. inXile, you are a cruel temptress.

Mugen08

I played the WL2 EA-version a bit too much, got burnt out for the full release and have still not finished it. Agree on the not so good UI in WL2, disliked the Director's Cut UI even more.

I am guessing one won't be able to carry over progress from beta into 1.0 either. Looking forward to spoiler-free impressions though. P:T is imho the RPG with the best story of all time, so Tides of Numenera will have a hard time to live up to it.

Lingitiz

On one hand I really want to play this, on the other I can't think of a game less suited to the Early Access model of game development than this. inXile, you are a cruel temptress.

Pillars had an early access period that helped the game immensely. I have zero desire to play an early access game but if it helps make the game better at launch I'm all for it.

Mivey

Wish I had a PC that could run this...
I'd recommend this one. Not sure about DP 1.3 support.
toastmcudn.png

EDIT:
Oh, just read that it is a Unity game. Then disregard my post. You might need a dual Toaster set up for this one. :/ Though, even the best appliances will have intermittent lags, that's just a design choice of the engine.

Lanrutcon

Backgrounds are pre-rendered. I think most PCs should be able to run this.

I'm all for EA for a game of this size, I was in the backer beta for Pillars and thought it did the game A LOT of good.

Um. Aren't they using Unity? the same Unity that makes PoE perform like garbage in towns?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Backgrounds are pre-rendered. I think most PCs should be able to run this.

I hope so but my laptop is just about handling New Vegas plus a few mods. Are the specs for this out yet...?

I'd recommend this one. Not sure about DP 1.3 support.
toastmcudn.png

EDIT:
Oh, just read that it is a Unity game. Then disregard my post. You might need a dual Toaster set up for this one. :/ Though, even the best appliances will have intermittent lags, that's just a design choice of the engine.

Yeah, my portable toaster only has one slot, I think.

I usually stick to magic classes so I really like rpgs going into early access because it means I can comment on how magic sucks or doesn't suck and why.

Cleve

magwizsorc

I usually stick to magic classes so I really like rpgs going into early access because it means I can comment on how magic sucks or doesn't suck and why.

You don't say...

Huge fan of the Numenera tabletop RPG, it's a fantastic setting that supports a ton of creativity. Been playing with a group for 6 or 7 months now. Just about to start a campaign of The Strange, also based on the same ruleset (Cypher System.)

Needless to say I'm pretty hyped about this. Day one!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But I'm just getting into Dragon's Dogma again...and Mario Jam coming out...and FFExplorers coming out...

Sigh...when I was a kid, I never complained about having too much to play....

Top Bottom