• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Review Thread

I do find it weird how bad combat suddenly is an issue for Tides of Numenera but not for Planescape. If it's undercooked it should be brought to attention but I think people attribute a little too much weight to it.
PST came out before JRPGs become popular and poisoned people's minds with the RPG gameplay = combat bullshit

I'm going to pick this up for the xbone. Consoles don't have enough games of this ilk, so I want to support them bringing it over.

Ditto. I just found out it has a physical release, and that's my poison, so sales = sales +1. What's all included beyond the disc?

Bought it and wasn't a backer. I played some of Planescape but never the whole way through.

What struck me with Torment right off the bat was how it reminded me of Roadside Picnic. The book, which inspired both Stalker and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., has this focus on interacting with the unknown. Items in the zone has value for research, but the harm, gain, or inertness of alien objects can't be determined or forseen. The first areas of Torment gave me the same unfamiliar vibes, though from a different angle as you're interacting with ancient forgotten technology or magic.

I'm really looking forward to playing through all of it.

dude

dude
Has anyone compared it to Pillars of Eternity? Is it better/worse/around the same?
I didn't play more than couple of hours of Torment, but so far I liked Pillars better on all accounts.
That said, there is a taste-factor - Pillars helped me realize how much I grew to prefer grounded writing over Torment's Neil Gaiman-esque style.
But even i I take it into account, I think Pillars just feel more polished. Overall I'd compare it as "slightly worse".

Has anyone compared it to Pillars of Eternity? Is it better/worse/around the same?

Tides of Numenera is more narrative driven than Pillars so it really depends on what you are looking for. Personally I prefer Tides of Numenera by a large margin. The plot and characters are a lot better and so is the writing. I didn't really care for the combat in Pillars which takes a much more central role than in Tides of Numenera.

I would like to give the game another chance though as I've heard there have been a lot of positive changes since release.

Lifeline

I didn't play more than couple of hours of Torment, but so far I liked Pillars better on all accounts.
That said, there is a taste-factor - Pillars helped me realize how much I grew to prefer grounded writing over Torment's Neil Gaiman-esque style.
But even i I take it into account, I think Pillars just feel more polished. Overall I'd compare it as "slightly worse".

Tides of Numenera is more narrative driven than Pillars so it really depends on what you are looking for. Personally I prefer Tides of Numenera by a large margin. The plot and characters are a lot better and so is the writing. I didn't really care for the combat in Pillars which takes a much more central role than in Tides of Numenera.

I would like to give the game another chance though as I've heard there have been a lot of positive changes since release.

I gave up on Pillars a while back, and was wondering if i should give it another shot or try Torment. Guess i'll stick with Pillars for now.

Lister

Banned
I gave up on Pillars a while back, and was wondering if i should give it another shot or try Torment. Guess i'll stick with Pillars for now.

When did you sotp playing it?

After White March and the updates that came with it, some of deficiencies were addressed.

Changes to combat rules/blancing, improved tactics and pacing, as did improvements to mob makeup and number, (less trash mobs, more interesting enemies) as well as encounter design (though the last aspect was minimally touched). And the White march took some lessons from the original campaign in terms of writing as well.

Overall, it's a better game than on release now.

jtb

Banned
Plenty of people shit on P:T's combat when it was released. There's a reason why BG2 was generally considered to be the best CRPG at the time, not P:T.

Lifeline

When did you sotp playing it?

After White March and the updates that came with it, some of deficiencies were addressed.

Changes to combat rules/blancing, improved tactics and pacing, as did improvements to mob makeup and number, (less trash mobs, more interesting enemies) as well as encounter design (though the last aspect was minimally touched). And the White march took some lessons from the original campaign in terms of writing as well.

Overall, it's a better game than on release now.

I started playing after White March, I just got bored with it, and was busy with some other games too. I'll give it another shot.

Top Bottom