• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

krae_man

Ugh. Hope I can find some place on the lower end of that. I'm definitely going to need at least fillings afterwards....

Ask too. If you say "I'm poor", they may cut you some slack. If you have insurance, they charge the max they know the insurance company will pay.

For example, my regular checkups went from $125 to $175 the second I got benefits at work.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ask too. If you say "I'm poor", they may cut you some slack. If you have insurance, they charge the max they know the insurance company will pay.

For example, my regular checkups went from $125 to $175 the second I got benefits at work.
My dentist doesn't raise the price between insured and non-insured people, they just recommend you come in more often if your insurance covers it. I go every 4 months instead of every 6 months. It's nice having 100% coverage.

Pretty sure the city's website lists less expensive dentists for low income people but some also take better off people.

Quick

Banned
So damn nice out this morning....eat team winter....eat it.

It's a steady 1C throughout the day.

And 4C tomorrow, then -1C on Wednesday, then it slowly climbs up through the rest of the week. But it'll also snow.

This is all from my iPhone.

We're almost here, Team Warm.

carebear-stareee.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Holy shit at Torontoist's editorial on Tory's changes to the transit plan:

The idea that John Tory should be “applauded” for suddenly being open to a non-completely-terrible transit plan is, really, the idea of John Tory’s mayoralty writ large: the notion that he deserves credit for not being a flaming tire fire of a mayor, like a previous mayor we could name.

John Tory finally agreeing, years late, that a halfway-decent transit solution which is still inferior to the superior alternative he helped torpedo) might be better than his preferred terrible and unworkable transit plan is not something that would be deemed worthy of compliment, were he not following up the worst mayor in Toronto’s history. Tory’s bumbling, do-nothing-until-forced-to mayoralty would be an embarrassment in any other circumstance. Because we should hold him to a higher standard, it should be in these circumstances as well.

dat ether

Boogie

Yeah, I need to read some sort of reasoning on this.

It's the second volley of shots not being justified, but the first volley being the ones that ended up being the cause of death.

I.e. The jury likely found that Yatim did present a reasonable threat of death or grievous bodily harm, thus the initial shots being justified.

But Forcillo's pause when Yatim is felled by those shots, then firing a second volley while Yatim is down, they found unjustified.

But since that second volley isn't what killed him, they cannot convict on murder if they consider the first volley justified.

jstripes

Banned
Basically, the Forcillo verdict is this:

3GwUvxF.jpg

The first three shots, which mortally wounded Yatim, were justified self defense. The second round of six shots, with Yatim on the ground, were completely unnecessary.

Azih

It's really not.

I've believed from the beginning that if he got convicted, it was the second volley of shots that was going to be what did him in.

Shouldn't the second volley of shots materially impact understanding of what happened with the first?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Boogie how do you always find all these police discussions?

Either way glad to see you're still lurking around.

As for the verdict I think I've been jaded by all the police shootings in the states, the fact he was found guilty of anything is a complete shock to me.

zroid

Banned
It's really not.

I've believed from the beginning that if he got convicted, it was the second volley of shots that was going to be what did him in.

lol just because the legal system is fucked to the point where the "backup plan" charge was the only conviction doesn't mean the ruling isn't insane

jstripes

Banned

Either way glad to see you're still lurking around.

As for the verdict I think I've been jaded by all the police shootings in the states, the fact he was found guilty of anything is a complete shock to me.

Well, high-profile police shootings in the States usually involve an unarmed individual with his hands up, and the cop gets off 99.9% of the time, so there's a bit of difference.

Boogie

Heh, I think that's funny, because I think I post in waaaaaay fewer police topics than I used to. It's too depressing these days, with how many dumbasses in the job keep getting themselves put on YouTube for being idiots/assholes.

And I just post less in general. But I'm still here, lurking around.

supposedly the first three shots he fired (which killed the victim) were determined to be within his rights, so he's not guilty of murder

it's completely insane

It's the second volley of shots not being justified, but the first volley being the ones that ended up being the cause of death.

I.e. The jury likely found that Yatim did present a reasonable threat of death or grievous bodily harm, thus the initial shots being justified.

But Forcillo's pause when Yatim is felled by those shots, then firing a second volley while Yatim is down, they found unjustified.

But since that second volley isn't what killed him, they cannot convict on murder if they consider the first volley justified.

3GwUvxF.jpg

The first three shots, which mortally wounded Yatim, were justified self defense. The second round of six shots, with Yatim on the ground, were completely unnecessary.

Ok. I think I get it. I will need to read up more on it though.

Boogie

lol just because the legal system is fucked to the point where the "backup plan" charge was the only conviction doesn't mean the ruling isn't insane

I don't see how. When you break it down step by step, it's the most logical charge for conviction in this instance, as odd and counterintuitive as it might seem.

Indicate

3GwUvxF.jpg

Forcillo got off. I'm glad the verdict got the Toronto Police Association shaking though and that the chief is looking for ways to improve training.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's a steady 1C throughout the day.

And 4C tomorrow, then -1C on Wednesday, then it slowly climbs up through the rest of the week. But it'll also snow.

This is all from my iPhone.

We're almost here, Team Warm.

carebear-stareee.gif
I laughed out loud at work. Thanks.

Also, EAT SUN AND DIE, KRAFTWERK!

I think I wore my winter coat maybe three times this winter. Been ok going to work with just a suit jacket and a relatively thin wool overcoat actually.

dluu13

I prefer Friday, but it doesn't matter to me too much when it will be. I'm pretty flexible.

Cast your vote here:
http://doodle.com/poll/w29x4zifxkv6priz

I have Feb 19, 20, 26, 27 for you guys to choose. I'll make a thread after I get a few responses.

Ok so after the weekend, there are 9 respondents on the poll and it looks like the most popular choice is Friday, Feb 19 (but only by a hair) for our next meetup so that's the tentative date.

Here is the link to the new meetup thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193264125

Since shadowkat and mupod cannot make it on Fridays, I think we should alternate Friday/Saturday in the future. There's a while before the meetup so if a vote swings it the other way, I'll change it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so after the weekend, there are 9 respondents on the poll and it looks like the most popular choice is Friday, Feb 19 (but only by a hair) for our next meetup so that's the tentative date.

Here is the link to the new meetup thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193264125

Since shadowkat and mupod cannot make it on Fridays, I think we should alternate Friday/Saturday in the future. There's a while before the meetup so if a vote swings it the other way, I'll change it.
Damn, I didn't vote. Thought you'd wait until end of month. How about opening it up to the end of this weekend and letting everyone know they should vote (some people forget without reminders...cause we old...like fuzzy...)

Don't worry! We won't put you in a file for jury duty!

dluu13

Damn, I didn't vote. Thought you'd wait until end of month. How about opening it up to the end of this weekend and letting everyone know they should vote (some people forget without reminders...cause we old...like fuzzy...)

The poll is still open for voting! I just made the thread with the tentative date. I haven't done anything outside of that.

The link for voting is here:
http://doodle.com/poll/w29x4zifxkv6priz

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I hope a bus splashes you on the way to work tomorrow while it's raining.

Mupod

Put in my vote. I'm still looking into options for getting to meetups from Brampton. We got the house for feb 1 but we still have this apartment until march, so we'll be moving over gradually and getting stuff ready. You know you're living with kindred spirits when the first things that come up are:

- We're not moving in here until the internet is set up and cabling is done
- We need a barbecue RIGHT NOW
- Hey, we can put arcade machines in this room

The house is close to a go train station but I have only the vaguest idea of what a go train is so I don't know if that would make things easier. Their website is broken.

dluu13

Put in my vote. I'm still looking into options for getting to meetups from Brampton. We got the house for feb 1 but we still have this apartment until march, so we'll be moving over gradually and getting stuff ready. You know you're living with kindred spirits when the first things that come up are:

- We're not moving in here until the internet is set up and cabling is done
- We need a barbecue RIGHT NOW
- Hey, we can put arcade machines in this room

The house is close to a go train station but I have only the vaguest idea of what a go train is so I don't know if that would make things easier. Their website is broken.

Saturday is now winning.

Go train is a decent option for getting downtown once in a while. The problem is that it's kind of expensive but I think I heard that it gets cheaper with a Presto card. You'd end up at Union station, then take the TTC up to Bloor then transfer to a westbound subway. The site is up now and it's $8 per way with no presto card and you'd save 80 cents with a presto card.

krae_man

Also make sure you do the blood/urine tests beforehand and early enough so that the clinic doctor will get the results in time for your appointment.

Top Bottom