• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

855470.jpg

Thanks to whoever suggested Simpletax last year, much faster than doing it by pen/paper :p

ahhh yes taxes.

I've only done it with pen and paper once in my life. Since then I've been using a software called StudioTax which I found on CRA's website. The interface is hideous but it seems very comprehensive.

Once, my dad took mine to a tax office and I received barely anything back, while having to pay the accountant $20 to do the taxes. For that amount, I figured I should probably do everything myself from now on.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I hate being compared to Crapmondump...
Gonna be full of dudebros.
They'll eventually force the gamers out, yes.
ahhh yes taxes.

I've only done it with pen and paper once in my life. Since then I've been using a software called StudioTax which I found on CRA's website. The interface is hideous but it seems very comprehensive.

Once, my dad took mine to a tax office and I received barely anything back, while having to pay the accountant $20 to do the taxes. For that amount, I figured I should probably do everything myself from now on.
Are you contributing to your RRSP? Or are you just investing in sours and KFC?
We got Tim Hortons coupons mailed to our home. I don't think I ever seen them do that ever. Competition works, huh?
I get coupons for Wendy's that I need to use. I just wish there was one nearby work :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I have before but I don't have enough taxable income for RRSP's to matter this year :p
I always make sure to contribute to TFSA's though.
You don't have enough for it to matter...? Well, I don't know your numbers personally, but in my mind, you should always contribute to RRSPs first to bring down the taxes you owe the gumment and if you get taxes back, you THEN put that into your TFSA. If you don't put anything into your RRSP, you're mostly likely going to owe something to them. I got money back because I contributed and my wife makes no income.

Listen to ol Kuro you young pup!!! >:[

dluu13

You don't have enough for it to matter...? Well, I don't know your numbers personally, but in my mind, you should always contribute to RRSPs first to bring down the taxes you owe the gumment and if you get taxes back, you THEN put that into your TFSA. If you don't put anything into your RRSP, you're mostly likely going to owe something to them. I got money back because I contributed and my wife makes no income.

Listen to ol Kuro you young pup!!! >:[

I can get away with it cause I got those huge tuition amounts to claim (and most of my money is tax free anyway).

I did make sure to contribute to RRSP's that one year it did make a difference though, when I was doing co-op a lot.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
RRSP is for rich people only Kuro.
Nah not at all. Either you put money into your RRSP so the gumment gets it eventually, or you don't put any in and the gumment takes it in April every year.
I can get away with it cause I got those huge tuition amounts to claim (and most of my money is tax free anyway).

I did make sure to contribute to RRSP's that one year it did make a difference though, when I was doing co-op a lot.
Ah right right. Well, when you are flush one day with sours, be sure to set some aside to lower the tax you pay.

explodet

Ugh, I still need to figure out a TFSA.
I thought I'd need to keep my money free in order to get a down payment together. Three guesses on how that's working out.

Guess I should do my taxes sometime this month.

dluu13

Ugh, I still need to figure out a TFSA.
I thought I'd need to keep my money free in order to get a down payment together. Three guesses on how that's working out.

Guess I should do my taxes sometime this month.

TFSA can be set up right from online banking sometimes and they're are a great way to save money long term especially if you put them into index or mutual funds. After putting money in, it's another barrier to accessing it. My index funds are generating about 10% interest per year.

I don't know if you can set up mutual funds online though. I would go to a person at the bank to talk about that to somebody personally. The person at the bank set me up a thing automatically investing $100 a month into my TFSA mutual funds.

The thing you gotta be careful about is that they (especially index funds) can be more volatile so you should be prepared to lose small amounts of money short term. Again, you should talk to somebody at the bank about your current situation/investment goals because they should be able to give you more personalized advice.

Lexxism

TFSA can be set up right from online banking sometimes and they're are a great way to save money long term especially if you put them into index or mutual funds. After putting money in, it's another barrier to accessing it. My index funds are generating about 10% interest per year.

I don't know if you can set up mutual funds online though. I would go to a person at the bank to talk about that to somebody personally. The person at the bank set me up a thing automatically investing $100 a month into my TFSA mutual funds.

The thing you gotta be careful about is that they (especially index funds) can be more volatile so you should be prepared to lose small amounts of money short term. Again, you should talk to somebody at the bank about your current situation/investment goals because they should be able to give you more personalized advice.
I think I need to start looking on this mutual funds. My money is just on the regular savings account (TFSA). It is earning an interest of 2-3% a year

dluu13

I think I need to start looking on this mutual funds. My money is just on the regular savings account (TFSA). It is earning an interest of 2-3% a year

That's quite good. I've seen GIC's that barely give that amount. At my bank (BMO) my savings account only gives a pitiful 0.4% per year. I don't rely on it besides to keep my "emergency funds" which I don't want to use but may require in a pinch.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Where/how to go snowboarding and/or skydiving in Toronto? Striking off bucket list

The Trump border shenanigans killed abosulety every desire to visit that country at this time.
I agree. Wife wants to go to NYC again. I'm not going there until they fix their shit.

Snowboarding IN Toronto...? No place i know of but you can go to Blue Mountain. Skydiving, I assume you mean real and not indoor? Pretty sure some places up North would offer it.

soultron

Banned
Where/how to go snowboarding and/or skydiving in Toronto? Striking off bucket list

The Trump border shenanigans killed abosulety every desire to visit that country at this time.

Same for the border bullshit. I say this as a white guy, too.

About snowboarding: Kelso/Glen Eden in Milton is worth checking out. Less than an hour drive from Toronto downtown.

explodet

I managed to cross the border and back a couple of days ago, went to NYC. Had to do it for work.
But holy shit the anxiety induced with all the border news wasn't great. Was not great at all.

Lexxism

Speaking of New York, there's a bus trip for 3 days in NY this May. It cost $200 with hotel accommodation. I'm worried what kind of food and hotel they are going to serve lol

zroid

Banned
I hope it doesn't come till later in the day, I have to drive my dad all the way across town to Baycrest tomorrow morning...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I hate you all. I should punish you by making you eat this curry. I should've followed the recipe closer. I added too much water in but so far I'm not dead yet. Guess I'll have to try again to make it look good.

dluu13

I hate you all. I should punish you by making you eat this curry. I should've followed the recipe closer. I added too much water in but so far I'm not dead yet. Guess I'll have to try again to make it look good.

So what did you put inside? I've never made my own curry from scratch before.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So what did you put inside? I've never made my own curry from scratch before.
Well, I didn't make the actual curry part from scratch though I was reading up on it and it didn't seem too hard. I just went for the Japanese curry packs since they do the same thing.

Carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, lean beef, onions, Japanese curry packets, salt, minced garlic, worchester sauce, apple sauce, and way too much water.

In hindsight,
Bigger cuts of beef
More beef
A cup less of water
One less carrot
One more potatoe
Maybe cook it a bit longer but had I used less water, it would've been better.

My wife liked it ok and we did finish it all but I think I could've done better. One leftover bowl left she'll have tomorrow with rice and I think that should work better.

Edit: also, fuckin farmers making me lose this hour of sleep...! MY BODY SAYS IT'S 10:45 NOT 11:45!

dluu13

Well, I didn't make the actual curry part from scratch though I was reading up on it and it didn't seem too hard. I just went for the Japanese curry packs since they do the same thing.

Carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, lean beef, onions, Japanese curry packets, salt, minced garlic, worchester sauce, apple sauce, and way too much water.

In hindsight,
Bigger cuts of beef
More beef
A cup less of water
One less carrot
One more potatoe
Maybe cook it a bit longer but had I used less water, it would've been better.

My wife liked it ok and we did finish it all but I think I could've done better. One leftover bowl left she'll have tomorrow with rice and I think that should work better.

Edit: also, fuckin farmers making me lose this hour of sleep...! MY BODY SAYS IT'S 10:45 NOT 11:45!

I usually use the Glico stuff. It turns out pretty well if I follow the directions exactly. I've never added much more ingredients than the meat, carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic they recommend. The only thing is sometimes I chop the potatoes too small and a bunch melts into the sauce.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was going to ask if anyone was crazy enough to want to go to a 4 hour screening of a Japanese concert but it sold out.

Between this concert and SAO selling out 4 screenings, the GTA is anime crazy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I usually use the Glico stuff. It turns out pretty well if I follow the directions exactly. I've never added much more ingredients than the meat, carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic they recommend. The only thing is sometimes I chop the potatoes too small and a bunch melts into the sauce.
I was warned about th potatoes so I did cut them into quarters so no worry of melting.

Renewed

I remember watching Madoka and Anohana in theatres a few years back, pretty large groups.

I feel like shit this morning, barely slept and freezing

krae_man

Total snowfall amounts of 10 to 15 cm are expected by Tuesday night.

Snow will develop during the day today and continue into Tuesday night. Snow is expected to remain generally light today with heaviest snow falling through the overnight hours into Tuesday morning.

Northeast winds gusting to 50 km/h are also expected this evening into Tuesday resulting in localized blowing snow. Travel conditions today into Tuesday night may be hazardous as a result of snow and blowing snow.

Snow will taper to scattered flurries Tuesday night as the low pressure system moves east.

There remains some uncertainty in the exact track and strength of this low pressure system. Current indications are that snowfall amounts will remain below warning criteria, however if the track of this low shifts, it is possible that a warning may be required.

That doesn't seem that bad.

Also:

to report severe weather, send an email to ec.cpio-tempetes-ospc-storms.ec@canada.ca

Sweet email address guys!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
lol @ Hard Rock Cafe being replaced with Shoppers Drug Mart.
Yonge and Dundas?

Doesn't surprise me. I've only ever heard of one person going there with a tourist and that's it. I've never heard of any actual Torontonian wanting to go there.

...there is already a shopper's inside too....

Top Bottom