• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TorrentFreak's List of Most Pirated Games in 2011

ivysaur12

Banned
While I have to admit we may be lucky to hit 100k (though I'm not sure it's TOO unreasonable), sub-10k seems to be the territory of obscure, unhyped portable games from the likes of Aksys, Xseed, or (before they got more selective) Atlus. Unless damn near everyone pirated/imported with no plans to buy the US version I figure at worst total lifetime sales would be 30k or something.

30k? I think that's way too generous. The game will receive no actual marketing and is going to have to rely solely on critical support and word of mouth.

NIN90

I once read a comment of a pirate accusing Nintendo of being greedy because they force you to buy the Motion+ in order to play Zelda.

Foffy

Banned
I once read a comment of a pirate accusing Nintendo of being greedy because they force you to buy the Motion+ in order to play Zelda.

People like that always make me laugh. It's greedy that it requires an add-on that improves the game? Are console manufacturers greedy in that controllers are required to play games? :p

NIN90

People like that always make me laugh. It's greedy that it requires an add-on that improves the game? Are console manufacturers greedy in that controllers are required to play games? :p

I think it's funnier that he was pissed off because he couldn't play his pirated copy and thus called Nintendo greedy. Like they owe anything to him.

Gassey

Banned
As for Portal 2, I could see a lot of people having ended buying it during the Summer and Christmas sales, it was really cheap.

I came in here to post this. I wonder how many people pirated it in ANTICIPATION of the sales? :) Surely a lot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What surprises me the most is the amount of BF3 downloads. Seriously the campaign is average at best, it's the multiplayer where it's at.
I feel the same way about CoD. It's just bizarre to me. Do people play online on pirated servers? Cheating is bad enough on the legit servers.

Because that product costed money?

But they didn't steal it. They downloaded illegal copies.

Downloading a pirated copy of something doesn't equal a lost sale if they were never going to buy it in the first place. Not defending any of these practices, but it's thought processes like these that allow SOPA to get so close to law.

Feature

Banned
The battlefield downloads are probably people who downloaded the game and got a cheap key from some obscure site. That's how some of my friends do it and it annoys me!

Deadly

What about people that torrent the game but have a legit copy of the game? Is that still pirating? I think I've read many people do this even on the forum.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SOPA is another thing of discussion which I know has mixed opinions. I just want to know who or why that's happening? I don't know the entire scope of it but if it's because pirates, hackers, wrong doers, and others then it just makes make have that "this is why we can't have nice things" kind of reaction.

A.Romero

Wow those Crysis 2 numbers :( Even if it was 10% lost sales that's ~400k, 5% is ~200k, significant numbers for the PC market. Why pirate COD and BF3? are they playing on custom servers or something? I doubt anyone would pirate BF3 to play the single-player lol

Some people actually pirated before buying to check how it would run on their systems.

Also, some people just wanted to max out their machines.

ZAK

I've bought a sandwich. Can i steal another one, then?
No. If you steal a sandwich, no one else can buy that sandwich, so the seller has lost out. If you pirate a game, they only person you could prevent from still buying that game is yourself, so if you already bought it, the seller hasn't lost anything.

But they didn't steal it. They downloaded illegal copies.

Downloading a pirated copy of something doesn't equal a lost sale if they were never going to buy it in the first place.

Yes it does.

You just took a $60 product for $0.

This is not rocket science here.

Intent does not matter.

Mr_Zombie

What about people that torrent the game but have a legit copy of the game? Is that still pirating? I think I've read many people do this even on the forum.

While downloading the game (or movie, or music, or anything) you're sharing what you've downloaded, ie. you help other people download it. So even if you own the legit product but still download it using p2p networks, you're still on the evil side.

Yes it does.

Intent does not matter.

Downloading a copy does not make a Steam key magically disappear or a boxed copy at Best Buy magically disappear off the shelf. People need to understand this. Gabe Newell has been saying this for years.

Pre

Region locking is such an outdated concept and I feel no sympathy whatsoever for any "lost sales" due to a decision not to make the product available in that territory. Of course, calling any piracy of an unavailable product "lost sales" is fucking ridiculous on its face.

Furthermore, you should probable expose yourself to some real problems in the world if you think these people are the scum of the earth. Seriously, I don't pirate games and I don't support it, but I do advocate against shitty opinions.

Ever heard of hyperbole?

This is why I hate the Internet.

Some people actually pirated before buying to check how it would run on their systems.

Also, some people just wanted to max out their machines.

Well, Crysis 2 has a PC demo that you can download from EA servers much faster than from any torrent.

Also, the people that download pirated games that they already have (you only need the crack), or to test it (yes, is only to test it, I'll put a clock and I'll stop playing after 30 minutes, I'll promise) should be a minority.

Thoraxes

Used-game sales are worse than piracy because they actually are a lost sale to the publisher and developer.

With pirates, a lost sale can not be guaranteed.

To be on-topic, I'm actually surprised at the lists. I'm curious as to what the PS3 numbers are though, because that became available.

NIN90

Early contender for worst analogy of 2012.

Yes it does.

Intent does not matter.

How do you know that everyone who torrented Crysis 2 would have bought it? If you would have the chance to get a low-end car for free (through legal means) would you take it? Why, yes you would. Would you have bought that particular car? Probably not.
Do you think if piracy suddenly vanished it would go POOF and there would be 4 million Crysis 2 copies sold?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Used-game sales are worse than piracy because they actually are a lost sale to the publisher and developer.

With pirates, a lost sale can not be guaranteed.

To be on-topic, I'm actually surprised at the lists. I'm curious as to what the PS3 numbers are though, because that became available.
No it's not, because revenue from used sales goes to pre-orders for new sales. It's the circle of life. Piracy contributes nothing to nobody unless the rum drinkers break down and buy the real thing.

Going to go pre-order the NA version of Xenoblade now to do my part to make up for all those pirated copies.

Edit: Proof that I just did:

Nintendo email said:
Hello <cooljeanius's real name>,

Thank you for your Xenoblade order! We wanted to let you know that we have
received your pre-order. We expect to begin shipping by the end of April

If the address you provided during the order process changes before April
2012, please email us at nintendo@noa.nintendo.com to ensure we have the
proper address when we begin shipping. Make sure to include your order
number.

Please keep this email for your records and refer back to it if you have
any questions.

Visit https://my.nintendo.com/cpp/orders/getOrders.do to track the status
of your order.

You may also visit https://my.nintendo.com/cpp/faq/faq.jsp#orders to view
answers to order and shipping questions, such as how to modify or cancel
your order.

Thanks again for your order!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Consumer Service Department

Eusis

That prediction is completely absurd. Don't do that Nintendo die-on-my-own-cross thing. It will do well more than 10k.
Yeah, I meant to call out on that but never got a response together. 10k seems more the territory of unhyped niche handheld games, like what Aksys, Xseed, and Atlus have put out. I imagine at worst we'll see numbers like Rayman Origins pulled in its first month, doing 50k, but if it were only going to do 10k we would either have not seen Operation Rainfall or it would have momentum similar to calls to have something like Growlanser localized.

No, because that stolen sandwich would be the sequel. Besides, in the case of PC games you can easily argue you bought a KEY to use that game, and if you use your key on that torrented download then it's more like redownloading off Steam. The analogy might work though if someone, say, bought a game on consoles then pirated the PC version, because you were only paid for that console version and effort went into making two or more different versions, much like putting the effort into two sandwiches that are identical.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well, Crysis 2 has a PC demo that you can download from EA servers much faster than from any torrent.
It was multiplayer only. And it was a very limited period download that only was available for a few weeks. It also didn't include all of the graphical settings.

muu

a lot of pirates use the "i'm just trying it" or "i'll buy it if it's actually good" as an excuse, wonder how many will back their words w/ xenoblade come April.

THRILLH0

Banned
No worries guys, no worries. Those are ALL people that wouldn't possibly buy the games in question. There is no lost sales.

This. In fact, the developers should probably be thanking these guys for increasing their sales because they no doubt helped boost awareness and spread word of these games to their friends.

Not to mention all the "try before you buyers" who rushed down to the store to purchase Crysis 2 after making sure it ran on their rig.

Yeah, I meant to call out on that but never got a response together. 10k seems more the territory of unhyped niche handheld games, like what Aksys, Xseed, and Atlus have put out.

The vast majority of even the unhyped niche handheld games Aksys, XSeed, and Atlus put out do well over 10k, actually. The games we talk about bombing completely on the PSP do more than 10k. It is a prediction completely unmoored from reality.

If make sex with a clone of someone's wife, is it cheating?

Not for the wife, at least.

i heard the same excuse from some guy on gbatemp who said nintendo was greedy because they put a copy protection in pokemon. the sad thing was that many agreed.

Top Bottom