• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

norm9

My work gave away over 100 glasses this morning within an hour. Now we've got a ton of unhappy people saying they called just 15 minutes ago and why are out of glasses.

AdanVC

Saw this on twitter. Relevant with the eclipse AND the current world situations...

DHfI8OyVwAEher0.jpg

DHfI8O1VYAIeOPM.jpg

Biske

My work gave away over 100 glasses this morning within an hour. Now we've got a ton of unhappy people saying they called just 15 minutes ago and why are out of glasses.

I feel like people are more on board the glasses craze than the solar eclipse lol.

Our natural desire to want whats hot.

Guys

Serious question.

If I glance at the eclipse for a couple seconds with subglasses, will it hurt my eyes?

Sunglasses will reduce your exposure to ambient light, which is already quite low as the eclipse progresses. This will make your irises dilate and make them far more vulnerable to the sun. Ordinary sunglasses will not protect your eyes.

People on this thread have given lots of links to projects for pinhole cameras and other projection systems, which you can knock up in half an hour with cereal boxes and the like. You can look at the image of the eclipsed sun projected on card for as long as you like, it's harmless, and you wouldn't see anything better if you looked directly at the sun anyway.

Out of curiosity, and I suppose so I can get context, I went outside and put my eclipse glasses on and looked at the mid-afternoon Sun.

It was an orange disc. I'm impressed by how I can literally see nothing else through the glasses except for the Sun. These glasses block out so much light they are basically opaque. Only the Sun is bright enough to be visible through them.

FyreWulff

Out of curiosity, and I suppose so I can get context, I went outside and put my eclipse glasses on and looked at the mid-afternoon Sun.

It was an orange disc. I'm impressed by how I can literally see nothing else through the glasses except for the Sun. These glasses block out so much light they are basically opaque. Only the Sun is bright enough to be visible through them.

yeah, i think it's hard to realize how freakin' bright the sun actually is that you need such heavy duty filtering to look at the eclipse, even partially covered.

So, will the sun damage my Galaxy S8 camera if I record this thing?

Or even just take snapshots?

Or do our smartphones have UV filters?

The UV light isn't what damages the sensor, it's the crazy amount of visible light. So no, you can't use your camera without putting something over it. Now that I think about it, I'll probably try taking a picture through the glasses tomorrow and see how well that works.

Just one more image with the filter. Still a few kinks to work out with the setup, but considering it's just the filter, two rubber bands, a cork, and my phone's wallet cover it's working out well.

15 second exposure

Jedi2016

Tip: If you have multiple pairs of glasses, cut one of the eyepieces out and stick it under the case on your phone, to cover the lens. The case will hold it in place. Use the phone itself as a shade when you're pointing it at the sun.

Took some photos the other day, works fine. I'll be shooting a broad-sky timelapse of the entire event.

Biske

Note to self. Pay attention to when the next eclipse is and stock up on glasses and sell them and make a killing.

Just paid 10 bucks for a pair for my father.

That dude is turning a nice profit.

Note to self. Pay attention to when the next eclipse is and stock up on glasses and sell them and make a killing.

Just paid 10 bucks for a pair for my father.

That dude is turning a nice profit.

7 years. The swoop is basically in the opposite direction of this one. Upstate NY, Ohio, Indiana, southern Illinois again, and I think it goes all the way to/through Texas.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
9h later, made it to Portland. Traffic wasn't so bad, except for the border.

Onto Albany tomorrow, then.. somehow make it back by Monday night lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my brothers and I are going to leave around midnight or 1AM and hope to get somewhere on the totality path by the time it starts. One would hope around 12 hours will be sufficient to get from north Alabama to at least mid-Tennessee.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Heading out tomorrow. 2.5 hours normally to get from Denver to Wheatland. Going to leave early just in case. Routes mapped out just in case I-25 becomes a parking lot.

fallout

Made it to Nebraska. I'm staying at a campground just south of Lexington and it's pretty quiet. Going to be watching the weather forecasts intently tomorrow.

Pastry

Banned
It's very rare.

21stcenturynorthamericaneclipses.png

And if you're bored by it, that's your prerogative. But the sun being blocked out by the moon, the day literally turning into dark night, animals going crazy, is quite appealing to evidently millions of people.

By comparison, auroras are MUCH, MUCH more common.

That's cool the April 2024 one is going to go right over me.

Top Bottom