• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tourist places that don't look quite like the pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. This one I can actually vouch for. Goddamn that room is so crowded with shitty picture-taking tourists. WTF is the point of snapping a cell phone pic of the Mona Lisa? Just admire the fact that you're seeing it with your own eyes, and if later on you wanna remember what it looked like, just Google it...
Isn't there a no photo policy? Even so, taking a pic of it is fucking stupid. More so than the people who do the leaning tower pic.

Ra\/en

Trevi Fountain, Italy.

Reality:
FYv7Bz0.jpg

Well to be fair, most of the locations I went to in italy were jam packed with people. I usually had to cram myself in to see things like Pieta and what not. Still worth it and awesome to see everything.

MogCakes

Honolulu. Waikiki is a fun area, but the city itself is, well, standard city fare.

What's shown in tourist cards:

What you see when you're in the city proper:

It's not about whether things look better or worse when seen from different perspectives, it's about telling more information about the locale. In Hawaii's case nearly every other beach besides Waikiki is incredible though. Especially Maui's beaches, which looks exactly as it does in pictures, in reality.

I just went there with my kids a few months ago and loved it. Trashy looking but fun.

Promenade is nice and shiny though.

The fight I saw between a homeless mentally I'll preacher and a passerby probably colored my experience that 2nd time I went. First time was alright. Got a guy to write my girlfriends name in dolphin pictures.

DOWN

Banned
This thread is way less scandalous than I expected. Most of these look like there's nothing misleading in the first pics. Just seems like people here have some strange expectations they need to get in check.

Perfect example:
Honolulu. Waikiki is a fun area, but the city itself is, well, standard city fare.

What's shown in tourist cards:

What you see when you're in the city proper:

It's not about whether things look better or worse when seen from different perspectives, it's about telling more information about the locale. In Hawaii's case nearly every other beach besides Waikiki is incredible though. Especially Maui's beaches, which looks exactly as it does in pictures, in reality.
What did you expect of those buildings when you aren't near the beach?

as already noted, the great sphinx is even worse for this than the pyramids. it's literally opposite a combination pizza hut and KFC.

3.1268581662.the-sphinx-and-the-giza-plateau-oh-and-pizza-h.jpg

you do get a pretty good view of the pyramids while eating pizza!

none of this is to take much away from the overall site, though. egypt in general is one of the most amazing places in the world to visit as a tourist.

The pyramids shot shows an interesting contrast, but the Golden gate bridge comparison is straight garbage. It totally looks like that, unless you are shit at photography.

Hmm, I thought the opposite! I think the pyramid example is bad; when you're going to see the Pyramids, there's going to be mostly desert around you.

When you go to see a nice angle of the Golden Gate Bridge, you'll be in that shitty looking tourist trap place. Makes me think twice about visiting. Maybe it's just good for pictures.

Chuckie

This one isn't really fair. This would be like me taking a shit a mile from the Statue of Liberty, take a picture of said shit with the statue in the background and then say: Hey it doesn't look at all like in the movies!

Dad

Not nearly as grandiose as most things in this thread, but there's something hilariously sad about seeing Plymouth Rock in its little rock cage.

FqLUqHa.jpg

Worst in my experience was all the shitty/pushy/rude African street hustlers in Paris and the ridiculous plastic crap they are trying to harass you into buying.

A problem throughout Europe, but especially obnoxious in Paris.

Sorry, hopeless romantics, but you'll never be able to have sex under the Eiffel Tower.
massive-lines-eiffel-tower.jpg

It's quite a view at the top, but you won't have it to yourself.
eiffel-tower-top.jpg

Also, did you know that there's a restaurant inside the Eiffel Tower?
EiffelTowerRestaurant_wideweb__470x310,0.jpg

BigDes

I almost got trampled to death at the top of the Eiffel Tower when I was a kid

I slipped over and instead of helping the scared five year old up people were just walking over me.

The two biggest disappointments in my travels have been the Temple of Artemis and the Roman Forum.

The Temple of Artemis is now a column with a bird's nest on top in the middle of a swamp.

The Roman Forum is just a heap of marble. I mean, there are a couple of things there still, but when compared to the colosseum or that Pantheon, it's rather underwhelming.

Arjen

Most touristy places are super crowded, I'm part of the probelm so I'm not all that bothered by it.
Biggest "This is it???" moment was Hollywood Boulevard for sure. LA in general was extremly underwhelming.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Navagio Beach, Zakynthos, Greece.

It basically boils down to the fact that places stuffed with tourists fucking suck. Even when you yourself are the tourist. Get the fuck off my planet for a few weeks and let me sit on the beach in contemplative solitude.

The Brandenburg Gate one is a bit unfair. I mean it's pretty much in the middle of the city so it's hardly surprising there are lots of other buildings, construction works etc.

And it doesn't even look like that now since all of the work (on the American embassy funnily enough) in that photo is finished. That area is pretty nice really considering how it looked 25 years ago.

Unter den Linden is a bit of a shithole at the moment though due to yet more construction/renovation.

I couldn't disagree more! It's such a shame that they allowed for construction left and right of the Brandenburg gate. It would be far more impressive standing on it's own with now buildings directly next to it.

But yeah, it's always a matter of perspective. I remember when I first saw a zoomed out picture of the pyramids. Went from a place I wanted to see badly from when I was a child to something I basically don't care about anymore that much (granted that they are other pyramids and sights in Egypt which are not right next to sububria).

Navagio Beach, Zakynthos, Greece.

It basically boils down to the fact that places stuffed with tourists fucking suck. Even when you yourself are the tourist. Get the fuck off my planet for a few weeks and let me sit on the beach in contemplative solitude.

I saw it exactly like it is in the top picture. Then again, I was there in June, so not when all the tourists are there. Zakynthos was great. Enjoyed Samos more though, less touristy and I found the island to be more interesting.

Venice for sure. Still loved it but the amount of garbage in the canals was obscene.

I mean to say nothing of gondoliers not singing. I always call that shit out in movies now.

Alx

I saw it exactly like it is in the top picture. Then again, I was there in June, so not when all the tourists are there. Zakynthos was great. Enjoyed Samos more though, less touristy and I found the island to be more interesting.

Yeah many places have to be visited off-season. I discovered Venice in spring and was completely in awe in an almost empty piazza San Marco (one of the few times where I didn't think "it's beautiful indeed... but it's just like the photographs everybody knows"). I went back at thebeginning of the tourist season and didn't enjoy it.
Same thing for the Parthenon or other major places. Unfortunately for Paris, tourist season is all year long. :/

Apt101

Almost any tourism-related photo of my current home Virginia Beach. The water isn't that blue, the beaches aren't as nice, the buildings aren't as clean, etc. The only thing they ever get right is the abundance of pretty people. Most are so painfully photoshopped it's kind of funny.

Currently travelling through Europe and this is what the Colosseum in Rome actually looks like:

8kA4Kfe.jpg

I am not amused.

I was there last year, didn't get the best impression of Rome. Everywhere were renovations and the people were rude.

But the attractions themselves are quite amazing. The Colosseum, Vatican, and Castel Sant'Angelo were the highlights for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom