• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Slurmer

Banned
I went to TRU for the first time since I was about 9 years old, and it was nothing like I remembered at all.

Desolate, miserable parents, man wearing a wife-beater arguing with an employee. Kind of depressing...

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Went there to pick up Uncharted 2, Demon's Soul's and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2... came home with only UC2. When i asked the guy if they had Demon's Soul's he was all like "Human pools?" :lol

tanod said:
What comes out in 45 days worth a placeholder besides MW2 and maybe SM Wii?

Ratchet and Clank, God of War Collection (hopefully) and then also MW2 and NSMB like you posted.....also Forza 3, GTA IV Episodes, Fallout 3 GotY (already released but nowhere to be found), Tekken 6, Assassins Creed 2, GTA Chinatown Wars PSP, Left 4 Dead 2, hell even Borderlands looks interesting. Dragon Age Origins
that's about 4 stealth edits I tossed in there

lots still to come this year...

Had to go to a couple, but finally was able to find Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend (last one) in stock, and got Little Big Planet GOTY as the third.

tanod

when is my burrito
MikeE21286 said:
Ratchet and Clank, God of War Collection (hopefully) and then also MW2 and NSMB like you posted.....also Forza 3, GTA IV Episodes, Fallout 3 GotY (already released but nowhere to be found), Tekken 6, Assassins Creed 2, GTA Chinatown Wars PSP, Left 4 Dead 2, hell even Borderlands looks interesting. Dragon Age Origins
that's about 4 stealth edits I tossed in there

lots still to come this year...

Dang! All the good stuff really did get delayed to next year or came out earlier this year. I'm not down with a $60 Ratchet any more. R2 really soured me on Insomniac. Hated the first Assassin's Creed. GoW Collection is only $40 so you don't get as good of a deal with two $60 games. MW single player frustrated the shit out of me and completely soured me on the game. L4D2 is irrelevant since I don't have gold or a PC gaming rig. I want to try FO3 because I just know that there's eventually going to be a western RPG that hooks me but I haven't found one yet. The rest looks meh.

I'm hating on TRU. I'm hating on everything today. :p :mad:

I wanted:
Demon's Souls which TRU doesn't carry
Uncharted 2 which is probably out of stock at TRU
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 which TRU doesn't carry
Infamous which should be price dropping soon

I'm taking a trip to Best Buy and Walmart tomorrow to see if they'll price match TRU so I can get my top 3 choices but it still blows because no brick and mortar store around here has the deluxe edition of Demon's Souls.

AniHawk

Slurmer said:
I went to TRU for the first time since I was about 9 years old, and it was nothing like I remembered at all.

Desolate, miserable parents, man wearing a wife-beater arguing with an employee. Kind of depressing...

The one I went to is the one my grandma used to take us to when we were kids. It was brand new, too. I even remember the old location before it moved. Inside the new store was so shiny and bright. Now it's another Wal-Mart. Makes sense I guess, considering it's located next to one.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I got Brutal Legend, The Beatles: Rock Band and Wii Sports Resort (with two motion pluses). I would have rather gotten Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Demon's Souls, but they didn't have either. =(

Put Wii Sports Resort on Goozex, got $50 in points that enabled me to get Punch-Out!! and kept the extra motion plus, so it worked out for me pretty well. =)

Alex

Borderlands is the last game I want this year, I think, but I was too lazy to do any kind of a placeholder thing or whatever for it. :(

Ok GAF I am thinking of getting

Halo:ODST (Do not own ANY Halo DLC maps)
Red Faction
Platinum Triple Pack (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4)

For 96 dollars. Should I consider swapping out anything?

RBH

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok GAF I am thinking of getting

Halo:ODST (Do not own ANY Halo DLC maps)
Red Faction
Platinum Triple Pack (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4)

For 96 dollars. Should I consider swapping out anything?
As long as they're in-stock, I'd say that looks pretty good to me.

Got Brutal Legend (with two copies of Uncharted 2) but haven't opened it. Is it possible for me to return it for a game that comes out later?

Anyone ask Toys R Us about it?

MrDaravon

Went with my wife today, who picked up Mario & Luigi DS, A Boy and His Blob, and Katamari Forever....all games I was probably going to get her for Christmas :lol . They were out of Uncharted, and they didn't have Magna Carta 2 in yet, so nothing for me.

Curufinwe

Best I could do at my local store was Valkyria Chronicles, Tomb Raider Underworld and Professor Layton 2 for $70, so I left without getting anything.

Slurmer said:

TRU has really gone downhill, here too.

Desolate is a great word to describe it - the inside is lifeless now. I used to love to go to TRU, if only for the colors and whatnot as a child. A toy super store - who wouldn't? I continued to go as I aged and saw the place become more and more run down and become less and less relevant.

Now our local TRU is closed down and a poor local boy has died in an electrical problem while renovating the building. Just a cursed building...

Managed to snag the second to last copy of the Wii Sports Resort bundle with two motion pluses, Dead Space Extraction, and Punch Out!.

Not a bad haul, but I'm greedy and I wish I had more money lol

My little brother's birthday was this month. The plan was to get Uncharted 2 for myself and get him Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma and Batman since he just got his PS3 also this month.

TRU had nothing all week, Best Buy wouldn't honor the deal unless I got a $60 and two $40 games which consisted of some UFC title and MLB '08 or some shit. The Wal-Mart guy rejected my TRU ad and saying TRU is insane and he thinks they are going out of business.

A week of this and I finally said "fuck it" and bought him Batman and Uncharted 2 for myself from Wal-Mart. What a waste of a week for me.

vegee

Banned
Went there on Tuesday, picked up Brutal Legend as my free game and Wolfenstein and Resident Evil 5 as placeholders (since they had sold out of Uncharted 2). Inquired about Demon's Souls despite knowing that they didn't care it only to find out that the employee was just as let down as I was that they weren't carrying it. He went on to sing the game's praises for a little bit, then said that they were getting more copies of U2:AT on Friday. He said that he would hold a copy for me if I called in advance that day.

Went there on Friday after calling, got my game, and found out I could trade in my other placeholder for Borderlands when it came in this Tuesday.

Pretty damn awesome, if I may say.

I just got another e-mail from TRU saying there is a delay fulfilling my Uncharted 2 order and if it's not fulfilled by Nov. 20th it'll be canceled. I'm not sure how that would work though since I already received Brutal Legend and LBP (my free game) and used $35 in gift cards.

Nightz

Anyone planning to exchange a placeholder for Borderlands today? Please let me know if it works because I'm hoping to do it after work later.

cr_blah_blah said:
I just got another e-mail from TRU saying there is a delay fulfilling my Uncharted 2 order and if it's not fulfilled by Nov. 20th it'll be canceled. I'm not sure how that would work though since I already received Brutal Legend and LBP (my free game) and used $35 in gift cards.

I got that email too, but I haven't received Brutal Legend or my free game either (I preordered Bayonetta while you were still able to on the site). Since there's such a delay I'd rather swap out Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend for some games they do have in stock, but I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I was able to get Bayonetta in on the deal.

Nightz said:
Anyone planning to exchange a placeholder for Borderlands today? Please let me know if it works because I'm hoping to do it after work later.

Planning it within a few hours. Dude at the desk swore my games and receipt were as good as gold when it came to exchanges. Umm, I hope so, 'cause I don't want ODST or Marvel errrr I mean my kids don't want these games.

Nightz said:

I just did this by trading in Brutal Legend. I could only trade it for someone of equal value. Which was fine to get Borderlands. I worked on Borderlands so I'm hoping I'm not bored by it we'll see.

ODST for Borderlands. Whew, thought for a minute I'd be stuck with that pig.

And Borderlands is very fun. Like Fallout 3 with humor that works. And less brown.

cr_blah_blah said:

I'm in the same boat, same email, used $45 GC and received and opened Shift already... I'll stay patient until the first week of november, then I'll start making phone threats.

So, TRU sent me an email today that Operation Flashpoint (along with Brutal Legend that they mentioned last week) is still out of stock with no ship date.

I've already received, opened and played Batman AA, do you really think there's a possibility that they will get no copies by the middle of November and I'll be stuck with the one full price game?

Shurs

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So, TRU sent me an email today that Operation Flashpoint (along with Brutal Legend that they mentioned last week) is still out of stock with no ship date.

I've already received, opened and played Batman AA, do you really think there's a possibility that they will get no copies by the middle of November and I'll be stuck with the one full price game?

I received a similar email regarding Uncharted 2. In the body of the email there is a customer service number to call. I'm going to call and see if I can't cancel Uncharted 2 and have them send me another game in its place.

Shurs said:
I received a similar email regarding Uncharted 2. In the body of the email there is a customer service number to call. I'm going to call and see if I can't cancel Uncharted 2 and have them send me another game in its place.

That's the thing, I really didn't want any other October releases (at the time). If I wait until next week, I'm definitely going to bitch and see if I can swap the games out for Tekken/Forza. :lol

Shurs

Sho_Nuff82 said:
That's the thing, I really didn't want any other October releases (at the time). If I wait until next week, I'm definitely going to bitch and see if I can swap the games out for Tekken/Forza. :lol

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'd settle for Borderlands but I'd rather have Tekken 6, so I might wait a little while, as well.

Shurs said:
I received that e-mail too for my Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend order and I just got an e-mail a few minutes ago saying that Uncharted 2 shipped to me. I'm sure these games are big enough that orders will be filled before being canceled by their policy. So I wouldn't worry if your games didn't ship yet.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My TRU has always been good about letting me swap out games as long as I have gift receipts. I've done it in every B2G1F sale going back to when they first did them (the year GTA III came out). Today I went to swap my placeholder for Borderlands. Denied, they were sold out of the 360 version. I've got my store credit on a card now though, so I'll just go pick it up whenever it's back in stock. Hopefully next week, and I'll go use my OTHER card with store credit towards Tekken 6. Yeehaw.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Bruiserk said:
Anybody know where the nearest Toys R Us across the border is? I live ~20 mins away in surrey. Maybe there is one in Bellingham, or better yet Blaine?

Post in 2011 please. You posted in 2009. :p

Edited: this thread got me off the guard because I knew that we had sale that started on 16.

Top Bottom