• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for Spiderman: The Great Web - Insomniacs cancelled Live Service game

RagnarokIV

Live service. Spider-Man.
craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment

Perrott

Gold Member
Looked interesting conceptually, but knowing that Insomniac had Venom, Wolverine and Spider-Man 3 ahead of them for what's left of the generation, it is clear that they didn't have enough bandwidth as a studio to support the development of this project.

StueyDuck

I mean... a mp co-op spiderman game would've been awesome.

A co-op spiderman 2 infiltrated sweet baby game? That can fuck right off.

Probably a battlepass that is filled with rainbow flags. They'll look at your bank card and try find out if you are a white person and they'll tripple the price of the battle pass 🤣

Let's be honest this would've been an absolute train wreck. It's not skilled insomniac working on this.

FunkMiller

Absolutely no reason to think this would have been any better content or story wise than Suicide Squad. In fact, every reason to believe it would have been much the same...

Last edited:

FingerBang

I am not against the idea per se, but I sure as hell don't understand how it'd work. Spider-Man's gameplay makes no sense for a multi-player game. Are you going to hit the enemy in turn?

I see that a certain agency hadn't been consulted yet, because Gwen has curves
voNmYTS.jpg
It's ok because she's a trans-woman and they are allowed to be stunning and brave to prove trans women are women. It's just women who are not supposed to look like stereotypical women because women are not for you to look at, you perv!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It looks like a shit concept. Boring gameplay riddled with ridiculous microtransactions. Given the quality of the developer, however, it might have been the least unbearable one.

Killjoy-NL

They probably canceled it for a good reason.

Having said that and seeing that trailer, maybe they should've went PvPvE and have other players play as villains, in an open world with hideouts and mobs/police NPCs, doing attack and defend objectives and heists and whatnot.

Not sure if that's feasible, but it would be the only Spiderman game I would even consider buying.

Last edited:

Embearded

It looks nice and i would love to swing around NY and fight criminals with a couple of friends, but i truly believe the theme is restricting the content this game could have as a GaaS and how they can keep a good stream of income without becoming too greedy and offering bullshit skins, colors and accessories to players.

I think they should include Co Op mode for next game or add it to SM2 and let players invite their friends.
They can avoid matchmaking with randoms and all the expensive server stuff. Just add old school P2P.
Not sure how the game will sync the NPCs and enemies between consoles, but that's what i'd do.

To the posters who rushed here to say something about Insomniac, Sweet Baby and DEI, seek help.
If the only thing that comes to your mind is this, you need as much help as the other side at the purple forum.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Looks interesting, I would totally try this out.

If it could live on as a GaaS, well that's a different subject.

Embearded

I thought this game was only in pre-production. Regardless, no way does Spider-Man have a good enough gameplay loop for a live service game. At least it makes more sense where Insomniac had its layoffs. They hired an entire team for a live service game
I didn't spot mechanics specifically made for this game in the trailer, so it could be based on the Miles game with modifications to allow multiplayer or even scripted multiple spiderman characters with skins. A pitch trailer maybe.

I totally agree, the gameplay loop is not rich enough for this kind of game and it would have the same destiny with Avengers.

SJRB

Gold Member
Looks actually pretty neat? It's "just" Spider-Man co-op, but that it kind of cool.

Probably not as a stand-alone title though.

Looks terrible. It looks like Spider-man games - which I like - but just beating up criminals and boss fights. I don't see how this would keep people coming back. Looks like Suicide Squad.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably from the same people who thinks they have some kind of appeal like the big ones so "throw it on a live service game, tons of money".
Good to know projects like that are dying.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I see this "leaked" and think someone who had the idea shot down internally got angry and leaked it so he could show there's actual interest in it after Helldivers 2 took the world by storm...

Unfortunately I think there missing the part where helldivers 2 didn't try to degender an entire language and this just looks like a suicide squad level flop.

Last edited:
This is a total wag the dog by the dev team to desperately attempt to form a grass roots campaign.

They were smart to can this as Live Service Capeshit full priced games are thankfully rejected by the market.

Also, all the luster and shine of Insomniac since the first Spider-man game has all but dropped. They are just another out of touch, self aggrandizing AAA dev like current year Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

GrayDock

If it were part of SM2 at launch or as a free DLC, with the enemies/chars from the spiderverse movies (renaissanvce vulture?), it could be nice, but as a standalone game?
By the way they could/should add a Spiderverse dlc with it's spideys and enemies like random missions with the black cat portal mechanic. Missed oportunity...

Bond007

Looks cool to me- shame.
I know its popular to hate on Marvel and games like this now. I just chase fun experiences and this looks like I probably woulda had some fun with my friends or kids. Way better than anything i saw outta Suicide Squad i will tell ya that.

Maaannnn..... My inner 8 year old would have loved this. My jaded adult self knows how bad this would have been monetized. Why can't we get a cool co-op superhero game without scummy monetization?

I remember all those years ago they were originally gonna have co-op in Prototype and I was so excited, and then that was axed. And Prototype was such a cool game.

A foolhardy attempt and I suspect Insomniac found out the same thing Naughty Dog found out with Factions. You put this out, thats it for your single player games from this studio. Glad its aborted. More Helldivers 2 please.

Top Bottom