• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for Spiderman: The Great Web - Insomniacs cancelled Live Service game

Hugare

Tbh, I think I would have given it a shot.

"so much promise with its multiplayer concept"

It's the base game with other spiders. Nothing revolutionary about it.

It would be cool for 5 minutes, but then the boring gameplay would get in the way

Spider-man games are cool due to the story/presentation, not gameplay. You take that away and you end up with just the sloppy wannabe Arkham combat, but with spongier enemies 'cause online

It could be worse than Suicide Squad in many ways, but saved in terms of sales by the Spider-man and Sony names

It's seriously such shit that all of these games are ruined by GAAS. This looks so much more fun than Spiderman 2. Why can't this just be a simple co-op games like the Division or something. WTF.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looked interesting conceptually, but knowing that Insomniac had Venom, Wolverine and Spider-Man 3 ahead of them for what's left of the generation, it is clear that they didn't have enough bandwidth as a studio to support the development of this project.

YES! Plus, they don't have the bandwidth of gamers to have every one of these games supported either. It'll just be TOO MUCH!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No Way Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

mckmas8808

It would be cool for 5 minutes, but then the boring gameplay would get in the way

Spider-man games are cool due to the story/presentation, not gameplay. You take that away and you end up with just the sloppy wannabe Arkham combat, but with spongier enemies 'cause online

It could be worse than Suicide Squad in many ways, but saved in terms of sales by the Spider-man and Sony names

Not true at all. This is the "Sony makes movie games" lie. But I do agree that there's nothing revolutionary about this GAAS game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Isn't this the one when the leak first came out there was a powerpoint and one of the main points listed was:

"A space where everyone is welcome!"

tyler oakley reaction s GIF

Last edited:

FeralEcho

"New York City,nothing I wouldn't do for this big beautiful apple" - Isn't NYC an utter disaster right now with so many retards looting the stores lmao beautiful my ass

Also Insomniac to everyone as they reuse this fucking city for like the 4th time in 6 years:
matt damon apples GIF

ProtoByte

Looks better than all the other superhero live service games we've been subjected to.

Not that the bar was high to begin with though.
The leak made it look nice and shitty. Create your own tragic loss and all sorts of other assorted live service nonsense.

The thing is that this is so obviously proof of concept. A lot of the mechanics we see here are obviously pulled from SM2 and MM, and as Intihar has already said, that stuff works the way it does because it was tailored around SP design.

I honestly have no tolerance for MP/SP games anymore. Games are too intricate to properly accommodate both modes, and when it comes to IP like Spider-Man, SP is superior to MP every single time without fucking fail.

It got scrapped because they're gonna include it on Marvel's Spider-man 3.

Think About It GIF by Identity
Hopefully and most likely not. Other than ruining design features, it takes too much resource for this crap to be worth it.

Honestly it looks generic and nothing special, and it would've been another Suicide Squad-level disaster.

And, moreso probably why it was canceled... it would've taken years to make and tons of people, and Insomniac isn't built for the scale it would take to make a GaaS game that could compete on the level of Fortnite or Roblox. And it would've destroyed their roadmap of any plans in the next 3-5 years to have the time or the team to make a single-player game for Ratchet or any other series that they're known for, and that people expect from them. So basically the same reason Naughty Dog's attempt at a GaaS also was canned.

Definitely sensing a pattern here...

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
It's seriously such shit that all of these games are ruined by GAAS. This looks so much more fun than Spiderman 2. Why can't this just be a simple co-op games like the Division or something. WTF.
What are you even saying? The Division is literally a GAAS too, which isn't even a bad thing as the only thing that GAAS entails is that we're talking about games whose goal is to receive support for several years after launch - why would anyone be against that?

I remember how the internet collectively lost their fucking minds the moment Rockstar announced that they'd be ending new content releases for Red Dead Online, saying that they were killing the game and so on - but isn't that the business model that y'all constantly ask for? Weren't you people like begging for Sony to release TLOU Online that way, saying that long-term support doesn't matter?

Come on, get your ideas together, GAF.

Hugare

Not true at all. This is the "Sony makes movie games" lie. But I do agree that there's nothing revolutionary about this GAAS game.
Not true at all. I mainly play on my PS5 and have pretty much every Sony 1st party title. Love the majority of them.

But imo, Spider-man gameplay is mediocre. It copies the Arkham combat, but its way more brain dead and derivative. The Arkham combat feels much better, has more variety and plays better. Even the stealth is just like Arkham but worse.

And neither should be used in a GAAS game

Buggy Loop

Isn't this the one when the leak first came out there was a powerpoint and one of the main points listed was:

"A space where everyone is welcome!"

tyler oakley reaction s GIF

Insomniac is dead to me

Seeing the woke shit they did in Spider-Man 2, I wouldn't even install it if it was given to me for free whenever it comes to PC. How that game scored so high I'll never understand. First game wasn't even that good but the woke agenda poisoned that place and SM2 is oozing with it.

Audiophile

Could've been fun.

But I would've called it "Spider-Men".

That said, Sweet Baby would have required "Spider-Persons".

cormack12

Gold Member
I mean it looks polished etc. But at the end of spiderman what we're you thinking? I'd love to fight more spawns? I'd love to fight more hunters? I'd love to fight more crimes etc.

I don't think there's a core idea underneath beyond fight mini bosses and resolve crimes like GK. It might work and be fun for a bit but not sure there is a lot of legs there.

What are you even saying? The Division is literally a GAAS too, which isn't even a bad thing as the only thing that GAAS entails is that we're talking about games whose goal is to receive support for several years after launch - why would anyone be against that?

I remember how the internet collectively lost their fucking minds the moment Rockstar announced that they'd be ending new content releases for Red Dead Online, saying that they were killing the game and so on - but isn't that the business model that y'all constantly ask for? Weren't you people like begging for Sony to release TLOU Online that way, saying that long-term support doesn't matter?

Come on, get your ideas together, GAF.
Adding DLC's to a multiplayer game is not GAAS. The division had like 3 or 4 DLC additions that added to the map. It's the same as how Battlefield premium was.

GAAS is just stretching all of that out over years and years, making it free and forcing players to grind constantly to unlkock anything. A good example? The way CoD currently does Battle Passes. They are dogshit.

Every since "Sweetbaby inc" has been revealed, only on Neogaf will you see "gamers" disparging a game like Spiderman, saying wild stuff that isnt true, but echoes similar sentiments of what Xbox gamers think of Playstation and how they just get a pass from the media.

Gameplay not fun, lol.....You literally have people that play Spiderman games just to swing around and do air tricks. SpM2 has better combat than Batman games, you're just being disingenuous at this point saying the combat is anything similar. Its not even similar to the first SpM1 game. The only thing similar to the combat in Batman is that you fight in a crowd. Every 3rd person fighting game has a dodge, couter, block and special attack. That didnt start with Batman games.

Its weird to see how such a popular game gets people such emotional responses from people that dont like it, or never played it. Usually people just ignore games they dont like, but its obvious theres a new trend of hating on a piece of media that is deemed woke, as a new way for like minded people to share in solidarity and hide social political affirmation by agreeging how much they dislike a particular form of media.

Im glad they cancelled this. It does not look like a finished product. Seems like Gwen has the same move set as Peter Parker. Save this concept for an actual multiverse game where Gwen Stacey and Spiderman 2099 can have more of a identity to seperate themselves as potential stand alone games if Marvel wants to build on the Insomiac universe.

Last edited:

Dutchy

i will never understand the appeal for this franchise. it's basically like every other superhero but with the cringe dialed up to fucking 11.

OnE MoMeNT I EaT PizzA, The NExT I BEaT Up CRimINALS XD

tkscz

Tbh, I think I would have given it a shot.

Not enough here to make a determination on if it would be good or not. One thing to think about when it comes to GaaS is longevity of the gameplay loop. How good will missions be by month 2 or by month 4 or 6? How much effort can be put towards making the game not feel repetitive after a few hours of gameplay. This was the issue with Anthem, Avengers, Gotham Knights and more recently, Suicide Squad. The games quickly lose their luster due to the gameplay loop looping too soon. The enemy variety is too low, the levels look different but feel the same, there are only five types of missions and they all feel the same, so on and so forth. The best way to answer this is how much do you get out of the spider-man games after the story mode is beaten.

Boss Mog

So this is why there's no more co-op campaigns in games these days, they wanna turn that into GaaS. Shame cause Spider-man 2 co-op campaign would've redeemed the game somewhat in my eyes.

I've no doubt this and Factions especially would have been fantastic games if they where allowed to release

Last edited:
Looked interesting conceptually, but knowing that Insomniac had Venom, Wolverine and Spider-Man 3 ahead of them for what's left of the generation, it is clear that they didn't have enough bandwidth as a studio to support the development of this project.

Apparently Spiderman 3 will include online components and is the reason it's going to be day1 on PC. I could see this just being rolled into that. Benji-sales apparently played it and said it was amazing.

Shoulda went the spiderverse route.

Isn't that what this is? I saw them jumping into some portals

Last edited:
Apparently Spiderman 3 will include online components and is the reason it's going to be day1 on PC. I could see this just being rolled into that. Benji-sales apparently played it and said it was amazing.

Isn't that what this is? I saw them jumping into some portals
I saw that too, but I figured they would've went with clear language in the title or something that aligned with that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Every since "Sweetbaby inc" has been revealed, only on Neogaf will you see "gamers" disparging a game like Spiderman, saying wild stuff that isnt true, but echoes similar sentiments of what Xbox gamers think of Playstation and how they just get a pass from the media.

Gameplay not fun, lol.....You literally have people that play Spiderman games just to swing around and do air tricks. SpM2 has better combat than Batman games, you're just being disingenuous at this point saying the combat is anything similar. Its not even similar to the first SpM1 game. The only thing similar to the combat in Batman is that you fight in a crowd. Every 3rd person fighting game has a dodge, couter, block and special attack. That didnt start with Batman games.

Its weird to see how such a popular game gets people such emotional responses from people that dont like it, or never played it. Usually people just ignore games they dont like, but its obvious theres a new trend of hating on a piece of media that is deemed woke, as a new way for like minded people to share in solidarity and hide social political affirmation by agreeging how much they dislike a particular form of media.

Im glad they cancelled this. It does not look like a finished product. Seems like Gwen has the same move set as Peter Parker. Save this concept for an actual multiverse game where Gwen Stacey and Spiderman 2099 can have more of a identity to seperate themselves as potential stand alone games if Marvel wants to build on the Insomiac universe.

I'm so glad others are starting to notice the samething. It's insane. I swear I wish the name SweetBaby could be banned on GAF. The whole talk is making people say the dumbest things. Things people just never thought before. It's just all politics now.

The gameplay is great for Spider-Man

But what is great for SP may not be enough for a live service game

Co-op mechanics and spectacle is what’s needed, a ground up game not shoe horned from SP

That’s what Helldivers taught them

100% the bolded.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It's not a trailer but a pitching video. And no wonder it was shot down. I love 1, Miles and 2, but this concept reeks of quick asset-grab without any true service and support vision.

Well, at least Sony is asking some questions, I guess, despite GaaS pivot.

Top Bottom