• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon |OT| - Bigger, Badder, Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-viper-

Banned
Kyaw said:
Got back from an IMAX 3D viewing. Loved the action and badass sequences.
The visuals were a treat and i enjoyed the 3D too.

You can't say the same for the story though but whatever.. i don't watch Transformers 3 for the story...

I would have loved less human and more robots though.
Loved the sequence at the beginning on Cybertron. The setting just screams epic sci-fi to me.

I want a Transformers film on Cybertron only and without stupid humans...

Good thing they had a reference to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon too.

Also was there anything after the ending credits?
I would love a TF without the cheesiness.

It's funny how all human dialogue is cheesy yet as soon as the Transformers show up, it's time to be serious.

In fact, I would just love to see this franchise remade by more competent people. The visuals and action are the only good things about the franchise. Everything else sucks hard.

I have noticed every TF film is 2 hours 30 minutes long. I'd rather see 30 mins of the human interaction trimmed down to give a 2 hour movie. The first half of this film dragged on too much.

LosDaddie

Banned
2 Tickets for IMAX 3D: $28
Snacks & Drinks: $12
Babysitter: $40
TOTAL: $80

The joys of family life :)

I thought the movie was pretty good, kind of a letdown though. I loved & own (on blu-ray) the first 2 Transformer movies. So my expectations were high. The blonde didn't do "it" for me like Megan Fox does.

The action was great, and the 3D was awesome. I dunno, I just didn't walk out of the theater in awe like I expected. My wife loved it though. I'll probably snag this on blu-ray when I can get it for $15

What a bloated mess of a movie. What could've been a tight 2 hour spectacle involving Autobots vs. Decepticons with some slight military involvement is a 2 hour 30 minute snoozefest where annoying ass humans and a love story that no one gives a good gotdamn about eat up WAY too much screen time.

Great CG work when the human characters stopped hogging the camera, but that's about it. Yeah it's only Transformers, but damn it, these movies could've been so much more fun.

Net_Wrecker said:
What a bloated mess of a movie. What could've been a tight 2 hour spectacle involving Autobots vs. Decepticons with some slight military involvement is a 2 hour 30 minute snoozefest where annoying ass humans and a love story that no one gives a good gotdamn about eat up WAY too much screen time.

Great CG work when the human characters stopped hogging the camera, but that's about it. Yeah it's only Transformers, but damn it, these movies could've been so much more fun.

i agree. the first one was quite good actually but if they had done a better job with the story/characters in 2 and 3 and kept the same effects sequences the movies would be much better.

-viper-

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

completely agree.

Puddles

Banned
So what would you guys cut to make the films better?

My nominations:

TF1: entire hacker subplot
TF2: entire college subplot
TF3: Most Malkovich scenes, all the early "I can't get a job!" scenes

Puddles said:

My nominations:

I would also remove Turturro's character, LeBeouf's Mom and Dad and any transformer (Autobot or Decepticon) which is solely for comedy relief purposes. The mini-decepticon in the first one, the twins in the second one and the mini-autobots in the third one.

3N16MA

Banned
The comedy from any Transformer needs to be cut to a bare minimum. The only really good comedy was from the Autobots in TF1 when they were at Sam's house (this kind of interaction works). Sam can crack jokes or be comedic at times but I do not want to see Transformers doing the same.

Neo Child

Banned
Puddles said:

My nominations:

TF1+2 subplots were great, funny stupid humour. TF3 wasnt really =[

DonMigs85

I just hated Ramón Rodríguez's character in RoTF, such a whiny klutz. I actually liked Wheelie though, and Brains as well in DotM.

TUROK

-viper- said:
Only TF1 was good.

The rest was absolutely stupid.

The first 30 mins of the third film was terrible.
I don't understand comments like these. All 3 movies have a very similar structure. It's not like any of the films are a massive departure from the others.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TUROK said:
I don't understand comments like these. All 3 movies have a very similar structure. It's not like any of the films are a massive departure from the others.

2 and 3 added tons of ADD/unnecessary stuff. 1 was more focused.

Furret

Banned
Saw it last night and it was much worse than I expected, after hearing it was better than the second. What struck me though was just how incompetently made it all was.

Never mind the script and the acting, the whole final 1 hour battle made no sense.

Major characters disappeared for 20 minute periods for no reason whatosever. Megatron was chatting to Sentinel Prime just before the Autobots arrived and then we don't see him again for 40 minutes, at which point he's lying drunk against the wall?!?

And why are the Transformers weapons so utterly shit? They spend ten minutes shooting a half-destroyed skyscraper with guns, then another ten wrecking it with that drill thing and they still can't knock it over?!

And why do Transformers have fighterplanes? They're meant to be the fighterplanes?!

And what was the point of Shockwave even being in the film? He said one word, didn't transform and then was defeated thanks to a piece of cloth getting his eye.

Absolutely pathetic.

-viper- said:
Only TF1 was good.

there was a link earlier in this thread where the two reviewers made a good point: Michael Bay thinks he's funny.

The human bullcrap in the second and third movies are obviously suspect, but the key turning point in the first movie is "this is cooler then Armageddon"-guy. Once again, a "funny" character that had no purpose in that movie at all.
Once you start looking for these types of characters / wastes of time, it becomes pretty obvious that this is indeed a 'Bay thinks he is funny' problem.

I also liked the 'teenage lovesong' comparison earlier in this thread.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I actually started nodding off during the final hour or so. It was complete overload and I lost any emotional connection I might have had to any of it. At some point it just turned into this bizarre cartoon and I got really bored.

original.gif

Was these ever posted? Most likely posted long time ago but I just saw it today lol

FunkyPajamas said:
I would also remove Turturro's character, LeBeouf's Mom and Dad and any transformer (Autobot or Decepticon) which is solely for comedy relief purposes. The mini-decepticon in the first one, the twins in the second one and the mini-autobots in the third one.

I would have to agree. There is way too many unecessary scenes in these movies. I love to see fanedits.

-viper- said:
Only TF1 was good.

TF1 was not good. It wasn't awful, but it was below average. It was still far too long, it still had more comic relief than it needed (protip: if there's no tension to begin with, you don't need to ease it), and it still had irritating characters.

No film with such thin plotting and flat characters has any right to be more than 100 minutes long.

Tom_Cody

ThoseDeafMutes said:
TF1 was not good. It wasn't awful, but it was below average. It was still far too long, it still had more comic relief than it needed (protip: if there's no tension to begin with, you don't need to ease it), and it still had irritating characters.

No film with such thin plotting and flat characters has any right to be more than 100 minutes long.
I just clicked around boxofficemojo a bit and it looks like DotM is sure to hit the $1 billion mark. I can understand that Michael Bay and Shia want to do other things, but it is hard to image that hasbro and paramount are going to wait an extended period of time to reboot the franchise.

It will be fun to watch TF news over the next year or so. Once the dust settles from DotM's theatrical run, it will be very interesting to watch Hollywood scramble to do something with the franchise.

Tom_Cody

DonMigs85 said:
Not sure if I want another reboot... Maybe bring in Unicron and/or Primus next.
Eh, I just want a different style of movie at this point. The Michael Bay movies have been fun special effects spectaculars, but the characters and plot from the first three movies do not need to be carried on. Do we really need to see more of agent Simmons?

I want to see a different sort of director get involved and bring a different tone. With a budget guaranteed to be in the $150-$200 million range, I'm sure one of Hollywood's top tier directors will bite.

There is more to this franchise than what Michael Bay brought, I want to see more surprising scenes. Like the Qatar and airforce one sequences in the first movie. By the third movie, the "robots in disguise" element seemed to have evaporated entirely.

crazy monkey said:
original.gif

Was these ever posted? Most likely posted long time ago but I just saw it today lol

fyi:

They decided to use footage from the Island because an extra was seriously injured (brain damage) during the filming of that scene.

Neo Child

Banned
B.K. said:
What happened to Ratchet? Was he even in the movie at all?

Right at the end he said to Bumblebee

'You fought bravely'

Lol. Yeah, not enough cool scenes with the main Transformers. Ironhide & Sideswipe got a kinda cool (though very short) scene..

Net_Wrecker said:

I agree with this as well. Was pretty disappointed that there wasn't more direct Autobot to Decepticon fighting going on. Was also annoyed as to how the Autobots are ALWAYS outnumbered (Optimus plus his usual 5-6 Autobots) against the Decepticons (Megatron and his 20+ minions) and Optimus by himself always seems to put everybody in there place. It's gotten very old and comes across as to why any of the other Autobots are needed in the first place.

dankir

Finally saw it last night and I found it better than the 2nd. Hell anything is better than the 2nd.

Positives

-Seemed to be less "potty" humor, although Ken Jeong and John Malkovitch were useless though

- Chicago battle scene was pretty dope

- Shockwave's introduction was pretty cool even though he didn't do much

- Sentinel Prime was very cool I liked his character and him in the final set of battle scenes.

- Optimus Prime was also very cool, but he became a murdering fucking psychopath, he took "several faces" this time around

- The few Autobot fight scenes were easier to follow and the CG and in particular 3D was pretty spectacular

- I loved all the humans getting vaporized and shit, that's what you get for taking up movie time.

- I was okay with Rosie as the female but she talked too much. I would have much rather seen stuff from Cybertron, Rachet, Dino, Sideswipe, etc.

- NO MORE MICHAEL BAY!

Negatives

- Still too much human screen time, Agent Simmons, Dutch, Darpa Chief, etc all got way too much time. More than most Autobots.
- Ironhide :(
- Q was introduced for 8 seconds and then executed the next time you see him.
- Didn't seem like the Autobots didn't do anything asides from getting saved by Optimus
- Optimus became a murdering Psychopath lol
- Megatron didn't do anything, in fact he seemed like the Pacifist in this film lol.
- Movie ended a bit abruptly, they said there were 200 decepticons worldwide in hiding, so they're just going to leave them there now that Megatron and Sentinel Prime are dead?

TF1 was an 8 / 10

TF2 was a minus infinity billion / 10

TF3 was a 6 / 10

DonMigs85

Hmm, I just noticed something... Sentinel already appears to have his Earth alt-form even before Optimus revived him. Surely he couldn't have scanned something while in stasis...

Takao

Banned
The Outsider said:
Any idea if there's a list of participating locations floating around?

Unfortunately, I don't have one handy. I'd suggest simply looking up show times for you local theatres.

This Imax re-release will be in distribution until September 8.

The home video release will be on September 30, in these skus:

bC2crl.jpg

• Single Disc DVD
  • 2-Disc Blu-Ray + DVD Combo Pack
  • Blu-Ray 3D/Blu-Ray 2D, DVD, Digital Copy Triple Play Pack

And here's a promo for the Universal Studios Singapore Transformers: The Ride.

3N16MA

Banned
September 30th feels so quick (not complaining). I think the first two films were released in October (HD-DVD only first for TF1).

Takao

Banned
3N16MA said:
September 30th feels so quick (not complaining). I think the first two films were released in October (HD-DVD only first for TF1).

Yeah, but they were early October, and both Revenge of the Fallen, and the 2007 film were released later than this one in cinemas.

Dead

well not really...yet
barebones (no special features) blu-ray is out on September 30th

Special Edition and 3D edition will be out late November/early December

Dead said:
barebones (no special features) blu-ray is out on September 30th

Special Edition and 3D edition will be out late November/early December
Oh, fuck it then. I'm getting the Special Edition. Fuck this barebones shit. Only one I bought was for Avatar....which I've bought four times. (Blu-Ray, Special Edition Blu-Ray, Special Edition DVD, 3D)

Dead

well not really...yet
TacticalFox88 said:
Oh, fuck it then. I'm getting the Special Edition. Fuck this barebones shit. Only one I bought was for Avatar....which I've bought four times. (Blu-Ray, Special Edition Blu-Ray, Special Edition DVD, 3D)
loool

why would you buy the DVD? Not to mention the promo 3D edition, since that will get an actual retail release eventually?

But yeah, I wonder why they are doing this staggered release

Dead said:
loool

why would you buy the DVD? Not to mention the promo 3D edition, since that will get an actual retail release eventually?

But yeah, I wonder why they are doing this staggered release
I bought the DVD by accident, and my wife bought the Blu-Ray, since she knew I wanted it. I was in such a rush/hyped to get it that I didn't even check to see if it was DVD or Blu-Ray. I still tend to watch the DVD on my laptop, so I'm all good.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'll be a Michael Bay sheep and buy the bare bones one this month just to see it again, especially if the quality is as good as Avatar's first release.

Bit-Bit

Will pick up the 3D blu-ray since I didn't catch this in theaters. I heard the 3D was great. What's the general consensus on GAF from people who've seen it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom