• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserBecks

My thing is this: if you don't know, then don't go there. If we're talking about a comedy club where you know you're going to hear offensive things, say whatever. The atmosphere and situation are one where that is to be expected.

When you're at an event working as PR for a huge corporation, maybe you should decide to make better judgement calls. If he was confused by Laura's gender, the he shouldn't have even touched the subject. He could have made fun of her hair or any other number of things if he needed to find source for a joke or two.

Why are you so sure that the "it" comment was based on her gender? I mean, judging by that picture, I wouldn't be confused. She looks like a guy with a rainbow haircut. There is nothing that would even imply that she's a girl or transgender (that might be different in person, of course). He could've thought: "Oh here's a guys that is trying to look like a pony, wtf". Pure speculation, but so is the other side before we hear the comedians take on this. I'm also not sure how a shitstorm would help her, this is getting way out of proportion.

wow. so Microsoft is to blame for this and they are evil for allowing this to happen? So much hate.

When you as a company hire someone to be your representative for any given amount of time, you are just as culpable as a company for the actions of said person. It's not Gaf intentionally trying to hate on MS for every little thing, it's MS making poor decisions more than often lately causing these types of threads.

Mind you this is just going off the info at hand. We'll see how it plays out if MS deserves the ire.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks, I just thought the thread was moving so quickly that by the time I posted there'd be like, 5 extra posts. I couldn't find out how to delete a post after I made it so I just left it.

Can't delete your own posts unfortunately. I believe common ettiquette is to move your second post into your first post and just put into your second post "Double Post" If it is a heavily moderated topic (much like this one :p) they will probably clean out the double for you.

Back on topic: was just looking through the comments on kotaku........yeah.

srd4484

Banned
Grimløck;84021345 said:
Saw the update. Fuck that "comedian." I know he doesn't represent Microsoft, but man, their image is taking a beating, even after being on the mend recently.

yes, lets blame microsoft for this and not the comedian.

What was she doing on stage ?

Was the comedian looking for a girl volunteer to run one of his gags ? If he did and the volunteer looked like man at first glance he could have assumed someone is trying to troll him.

This could be the case. He thought someone's playing a joke on him, and tried to be funny in response, knowing that remarks like "it" wouldn't be taken offensively because the other person was in a joking mood.

ShinMaruku

I think people absolutely should pile on this guy if he is in fact the guy who is responsible for this. People need to know when they fucked up.

Some people will never knew when they fucked up. And piling on them for a unreasonable amount of time makes the people piling just as bad. Never fall to mob justice and mob rule they generally do horrible things too.

srd4484

Banned
When you as a company hire someone to be your representative for any given amount of time, you are just as culpable as a company for the actions of said person. It's not Gaf intentionally trying to hate on MS for every little thing, it's MS making poor decisions more than often lately causing these types of threads.

Mind you this is just going off the info at hand. We'll see how it plays out if MS deserves the ire.

Sure it's the hate from neogaf on MS. The poor decision was by the comedian not by MS.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Laura Kate Dale can find accountability and healing in this and feel welcome at these events again. I hope Microsoft and the comedian can be accountable, and that they and the industry learn from this.

Please your hatred is showing.

I just explained to you the way every American business with a traditional corporate hierarchy is operated. I have no idea how you could misread that as "hatred". I live within walking distance of the Microsoft corporate headquarters, in a community that directly benefits from the jobs they create and enormous amounts of money they dump into the Redmond and greater Seattle area economy. If anything, I have a vested interest in seeing them succeed as a corporation.

I'm still able to have serious reservations about the way their public relations have comported themselves in recent months, and question whether the employees responsible did their due diligence in making sure this outside hire was appropriate for the event. It's called objectivity - give it a shot!

Sure it's the hate from neogaf on MS. The poor decision was by the comedian not by MS.

You're getting a bit over defensive here. I'm sure MS will condemn the situation and couldn't have foreseen the incident but the situation was apparently handled poorly at the event and MS obviously contracted the guy. They have apparently contacted Laura about the incident and I'm sure they are taking action.

Tagyhag

Man, he should have known better. I'm all for risky jokes in the right environment and with the right people but that was clearly not the right place.

Zoolader

That's very possible. It could've just been an anti-brony joke that went horribly wrong.

Possible but most people don't know what MLP is. Honestly after seeing the twitter picture with the hair and silly outfit the first thing that came to my mind was those old troll figurines. If that's a normal attire then presumably people aren't going to take you seriously. But we still don't know if that's how she was dressed on stage.

2057_0f397.jpg

baphomet

Until i see of hear a transcript, I assume no harm was meant by the guy. He thought it was a guy with goofy hair, and was playfully ribbing him to get laughs. Its ok to joke about, say, a brony with multicolored hair by calling him an "it". Purposefully calling a trans person an "it" wouldnt be acceptable for any reason. He repeatedly referred to her and "him" because he thought it was a guy. Honestly, no one would have known going by her Twitter picture either. Until i see damning proof I dont think he had any clue she was trans.

leadbelly

Banned
But we still don't know if that's how she was dressed on stage.

I think she was. Based off this post anyway:

Holy shit, the fact this situation exists is pretty ridiculous. I was there and saw the whole thing. The presenter genuinely did not know whether or not is was a man/woman and didn't really say anything that could have been taken in offense. Technically, this journalist is a man, so saying that you're offended by being called one is pretty ridiculous. I wasn't even sure at the time, I just thought it was a dude with colourful hair.

I think this has been blown way out or proportion. Overreaction much...

mollipen

Why are you so sure that the "it" comment was based on her gender? I mean, judging by that picture, I wouldn't be confused. She looks like a guy with a rainbow haircut. There is nothing that would even imply that she's a girl or transgender (that might be different in person, of course). He could've thought: "Oh here's a guys that is trying to look like a pony, wtf". Pure speculation, but so is the other side before we hear the comedians take on this. I'm also not sure how a shitstorm would help her, this is getting way out of proportion.

To be fair, I'm no doubt more sensitive due to (a) being trans myself, and (b) having a number of friends who are trans and knowing some of the kinds of things they've gone through.

So, personally, call me a spoil sport, but I'd rather not have the "it" kind of jokes thrown around period, in case it indeed is a situation where you've got somebody who is struggling with their gender identity. And, even beyond that, as others have said, calling a human being "it" is pretty disrespectful no matter if the issue of gender identity is present or not. It's a cheap and lazy joke.

But, then again, I dislike insult comedy period, so that also helps effect my opinions on the matter. And, indeed, we don't know the whole story, as the comedian hasn't given his side yet. I do want to hear what he has to say, and where he was coming from in terms of his comments. However, I'm also not always able to have positive expectations for situations such as these.

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
If you want a fun time, check out all the abuse she's getting through RTs. I'm hoping it's people just trolling for the sake of trolling cos that's just sad.

King_Moc

Banned
I think you can on really really blame MS if the "comedian" has a history of doing this before. I doubt they're that stupid.

If you want a fun time, check out all the abuse she's getting through RTs. I'm hoping it's people just trolling for the sake of trolling cos that's just sad.

It's just as bad if it is "just trolling" really. Abusing her for their own amusement despite knowing she's going to take it badly - but them thinkin "HAH ITS OK COS IM NOT SERIOUS" despite actually her taking it that way.

paolo11

I went to check Laura's twitter feed and my goodness, these guys do not pull punches towards their hate against her.

King_Moc

Banned
I went to check Laura's twitter feed and my goodness, these guys do not pull punches towards their hate against her.

I'm pretty convinced that anyone who actually takes time out to do this has to be a repressed homosexual that is desperately trying to convince themselves that they are straight.

AlexMogil

This entire industry needs a reset button. It needs education about individual respect and gender issues. Not just Microsoft, not just Penny Arcade, the entire industry. People - and even on this very forum - need to take a hard look from a perspective that isn't their own.

Whompa

Wow...anyone see his recent tweets? He's sounding off like some 16 year old punk on xbox live...this is really sad and really REALLY offensive. Microsoft shouldn't have done some more research on who they pick to entertain people...

Maybe you shouldn't have become a freak.

This guy has no place at all...what a complete loser...

Mr. Millward stated that he agreed that he referred to Miss Dale as "this person" as with all the furore of dealing with 350 or so baying fans and trying to run a stage show, he didn't instantly recognise her gender. He states that "I should have said 'this person' and then gone on to the next person and also referred to them as 'this person' so as not to cause offence, but I was thinking on my feet. I wouldn't do the same thing again."
In direct response to the following tweet, though, Mr. Millward was a little more defensive in his comments.

"Staff apologised to her, but every single part of the first sentence of that tweet is made up. We called for more women so as to balance things up as there were mostly male gamers on stage, yes. There are ways of complaining in a mature way, but this is inflammatory and slanderous. 350 witnesses saw that this did not happen and that I didn't say those things. I would like to speak to her face to face to sort this out, but she's taken to Twitter and now I'm getting hundreds of tweets per minute." We asked what could have sparked these claims if this indeed did not happen, Mr. Millward said that "I referred to her as 'this person', at which point some of the crowd laughed. I should have diffused that situation, but I think that is what's caused this to happen. I did not refer to the woman as 'thing' or 'it' at any point."
Miss Dale claims that Microsoft's security staff prevented her from speaking to Mr. Millward, which Mr. Millward claims he was not aware of.
More will undoubtedly develop, and we'll keep you posted.

Like I said, we should've waited for the other side to speak up.

That poor woman is in the eye of a hurricane consisting of people who just don't "get" transgender, brave console warriors defending the honor of a company that booked a comedian for a one time throwaway event, and the "bottom of the nerd pecking order" bronies.

The comedian seemed tactless but mostly confused and trying to play it off. Hopefully everyone involved in making that happen on stage will be classy about it, but it's the huge negative backlash from her speaking about it that upsets me.

You want a problem about the how LGBT people are treated by the gaming industry, it's not so much the awkward potential accident that happened on stage, it's the people in comments and twitter.

baphomet

Christ, she even admits it wasnt done intentionally. Maybe if you didnt dress like a candy kid at an Expo that youre supposedly attending professionally, maybe you wouldnt have received jokes about how YOU WERE DRESSED.

This entire thing has nothing to do with her being trans, and everything to do with her overreacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom